Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @taeliesyn nice going on taking it easy and the 6 hour run. Shame that your body reacted so badly in the last couple of hours. Hopefully taking it easy for a few weeks and allowing your body to recover might make a difference.
    A few weeks?? I had my lowest mileage week in about 6 months last week. That'll do me for recovery! :D

One mans recovery is anothers max effort. You are putting us all to shame :p Have fun
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    another 4.99 miles down. It was a little uncomfortable because 150 min of aerial yoga and aerial conditioning last night. near the end, i went from middle splits to side splits with out lifting up and ow-didn't pull enough
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    another 4.99 miles down. It was a little uncomfortable because 150 min of aerial yoga and aerial conditioning last night. near the end, i went from middle splits to side splits with out lifting up and ow-didn't pull enough

Sounds painful

• mbaker566
    Options

Sounds painful

It was but it is ok today. Now the DOMS are setting in :wink: No run, yoga night tonight
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    AAghh DOMS, the true sign of commitment, glad it is calming down
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I asked this in the November running thread but no response so far...

so on my long run on Saturday...my fat went numb. I had layers, and I was actually pretty warm. It was mid-30's. My belly, back of my arms and hip fats all went numb. What might be the best way to avoid this?
  • ftrobbie
    Options

so on my long run on Saturday...my fat went numb. I had layers, and I was actually pretty warm. It was mid-30's. My belly, back of my arms and hip fats all went numb. What might be the best way to avoid this?

Sorry I have no idea, it is not something I have ever experienced or heard of before. Hope you find an answer soon
  • mbaker566
    Options

Sorry I have no idea, it is not something I have ever experienced or heard of before. Hope you find an answer soon

I was thinking maybe I need a windproof layer. I had layers but nothing windproof. stupid fat
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your fat went numb? Yikes! I don't know...I really don't have cold weather here...also I am zero percent body fat :) LOL!!

I got a giant blood blister on the shoe-facing side of my big toe during my half marathon. Anyone struggle with that? What I'm reading on the internet says either lubricate your feet or wear 2 pairs of socks. I'm already wearing moisture-wicking socks and had my running shoes fitted w/gait analysis. I've never had this problem before with shorter distances...I'm wondering if maybe I turned my feet funny when I was running up the bridge the second time? That's when that random knee pain started too. Or maybe I've crossed some long-distance threshold where this stuff starts to happen? My sports bra also dug a tiny hole in my back...I didn't notice it until the water from my post-race shower hit it...ouch!!!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good running everyone! I've been in a mental funk thus the lack of updates.
    @moyer566 The fatty area's on the body naturally have a lot lower circulation, so generally aren't as well 'climate controlled' as the rest of the body. Windproof may help, what were you actually wearing?

@LLduds The distance could/would most likely play a part. I got a nice blood blister in my first HM too. Turning the feet could have done it, or even the change in form/gait due to your knee pain could have done it.
    Honestly it could even be the shoes. I've got a set that I've been fitted for and they are wonderful. Unless I do more than 10 - 12 miles, then they start causing issues for me.

@ftrobbie Good work on embracing the suck. I'm working on making my suck sessions, suck more LOL
  • mbaker566
    Options
    thanks guys, i was wearing two tech shirts-short sleeve and long sleeve and a pair of fleece lined running leggings. i do have a windproof jacket from Fila and it should help with the tummy and arm area. It just doesn't breathe as well as I would like. I guess I'll try it on saturday.

@LLduds I would try using body glide on those "hot" zones next time you do a long distance race. I sometimes get rubbing on my big toe and it seems to help minimize it. I need to do it with my cleavage.

@taeliesyn go dancing or karaoke, something silly. I find that helps me de-funk. game nights also work for me. or an action movie

@ftrobbie hope the suck sucks less than it's been sucking

ran 4.9 and was doing pretty well. runkeeper kept saying i was pacing at 9 or ten something and i was excited that i was going to PR that route. and when i was done it said my average was 26 seconds off my fastest pace. and my miles were 11:30. boo. but I felt great running today.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @LLduds I haven't gotten blisters since I went to a wider shoe. (I had some success with a thin sock inside a running sock and body glide.)

@taeliesyn I completely understand the mental funk! You would think a week of vacation would have done the trick, but not so much!

@moyer566 Good runs are good!

@ftrobbie Like moyer said, hope the suck sucks less than it's been sucking

I ran yesterday- first time I've done anything in over a week. New shoes that I ordered came in while I was on vacation and I didn't want Saturday's race to be the first time I wore them. I did 2 miles in the gym in 19:07. I really pushed it the first mile (9:19) then settled into a comfortable pace for the second mile. I am not at all optimistic about my 10k on Saturday. The last mile is uphill (the hill that I usually run hill repeats on). I need to finish in under an hour to be able to "run" the 5k with my girl from my Girls on the Run group.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been resting since my HM on Sunday, so today was my first workout. I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill, then lifted weights (I'm doing the Strong Curves program). I did 90 lbs on my barbell squats (3 sets of 15 reps each) and no knee pain, so I think I'm recovered!! Tomorrow is a rest day, then I'm going to start running outside again. This is week 1 of my full marathon trainer (another Hal Higdon program). I'm thinking my first full marathon will be on 3/20 (the Seabrook Lucky Trail Marathon).
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run. yoga day. maybe. maybe I'll just savasna today
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    No run this week bcos son was not well and I had to take care of him. Will try to fit in a 4 mile run in the weekend.
    @LLduds I am doing strong curves too. I find that it has really helped my running by improving my hip strength.
    Lol @moyer566 Sometimes savasana is THE best workout!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I asked for yoga for runners in class and that's what we got.

I ran this morning. In the snow. Lots of layers. Did 9.56 miles. Fastest speed. 11:30
    It was awesome!
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles this morning. It was FREEZING in indy today. But felt good. Refreshing.... I didn't really have a set path in mind... I just looked for the sunniest route.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Ran 4 miles this morning. It was FREEZING in indy today. But felt good. Refreshing.... I didn't really have a set path in mind... I just looked for the sunniest route.

lol I'm considering waiting till this afternoon because I just couldn't do this morning.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10k/ 5k challenge on Saturday morning. It was my first time running in a blizzard. (Okay, it wasn't really a blizzard, but it was blowing snow for about the first 2 miles of the race and it was brutally cold!) I finished the 10k in just over an hour (about a minute slower than I wanted to!). Looking back at my performance in the same race (course changed this year to include a brutal hill at mile 5), I feel pretty good about my results!

2015- 1:00:25
    2014- 1:02:33
    2013- 1:04:52
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @Just_Ceci nice running, shame about that 26 secs to get under an hour officially. And I am glad you got to run the 5k with your girls

@moyer566 go on, get out there, says he who avoided going out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Always found something more enjoyable to do!!

@JSC145 for us NHers there is till more bad weather to come, embrace it.

@taeliesyn although you haven't mentioned it, well done on your sub21 5k parkrun. Great result!!

I have decided that the 10k improver programme is just too sucky, so will go back to a HM/FM programme, it will be a good lead into the UM plan. What tipped me over the edge, Friday/ Saturday and Sunday and the fact that my 5 mile run this morning had a 10:46 pace matched with a heart rate for a 9:00 pace. And winter has finally arrived here, the last few days have been below freezing at dawn, this morning I finally embraced it but had a hat and gloves on. Still running with lightweight tights, LS compression shirt with a SS running top. Good balance of being cold at the start but warm a few minutes in without overheating and getting cold on the cool down

Have fun everyone