Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Ceci, I feel suitably chastised.

Not much to report, winter has set in, morning runs are done in the dark and drizzle, at least when it drizzles it's warmer than the clear mornings, no fog the last 2 days.

Tuesday usual hill session, I felt as though I did not push as hard, HR and pace slightly down but I tried to focus on maintaining a faster cadence up the entire hill, previously I have started strong and flagged on the last quarter of each repeat. Yesterday it was more of a constant effort although slightly down. This morning was a 3 mile easy run with my average HR getting to 124, most of the run was in an easy band, some was in a fat burning zone and a tiny bit from doing some strides at the end was in the endure band. Pace was down a bit but I felt I could have gone for hours.

Hope you are all enjoying your running.

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Not much new here. Just trying to get through the last two weeks of heavy mileage until I can start tapering. Had another visit with the chiro yesterday after dealing with some lower back pain that was throwing off my form. She cracked my back pretty good in a few spots and worked out the tightness on one side. She said my spine is not very mobile so I need a lot of work there. Last night I did 6 miles after the storms cleared out and besides my legs feeling heavy, everything else felt pretty good. And I swear my feet have gotten bigger, or just some temporary swelling. My work shoes feel tight now.

The storms brought in some cooler weather which is very welcome here after running in the upper 80's last week. Finally I think fall is here to stay! :)
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    I've not been around much, I am usually on my phone so I don't have access to the forums. I am back on track this week. 5k on Monday, strength training Tuesday, JogScotland last night (3 x 10 minutes), 5k and strength training today. Tomorrow is rest day and on Saturday me and my son are going to our first ParkRun! Looking forward to it but the weather doesn't look too great. There are 2 now in Aberdeen, the one at the beach esplanade is very busy, 200-300 runners every week, it is going to be very windy there this weekend so we are planning going to the new one at Hazelhead Park, it only has about 60 runners.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Everyone is doing so well. It's always nice to read about your runs and experiences.

My run today was up the hilly route. It was fun. 3K uphill, then a plateau before the downhill, then level ground until reaching home. It's a great feeling to crest that hill.

I'm slowly increasing my mileage. I'm trying for 6K minimum and 8-9K once a week, on the weekend. I may have to postpone this weekend as I'm on-call but we'll see what happens. On-call means running around the block over and over. It's a good workout, with a hill and a downhill, but not very interesting after the first couple of loops.

Romy, JogScotland sounds like a lot of fun.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Ran another 5k today. Three minutes slower than Tuesday's run. I guess there were more hills on this route and maybe I didn't hydrate enough and probably hadn't eaten enough. Could have something to do with the soda I drank earlier in the day.

Tomorrow I'm going in to DC, but won't get a chance to run there :disappointed: The weather hasn't cooperated this vacation week.

Will head home on Saturday.

Have a good one!
  • romyhorse
    Me and my son got up early to travel into Aberdeen for our first Parkrun. It was cancelled!! We went for a 5k run round the park anyway, jumping streams and running through rivers (yes, it was the rain that flooded parts of the course and made it unsafe). Next time we are going to try the one at the beach, it is much windier but at least the rain doesn't stop it.
  • PaytraB
    Romy, it's so nice to hear of your runs with your son. That is wonderful. Do you run on the sand at the beach or along a trail/pathway?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Sitting in Heathrow about to jet to San Francisco. Got 4 miles done on Thursday and a 8 miler last night. Last run for a while. Didn't feel like going last night but went out anyway and after 2 miles settled into a slow run (HR 70% of max). Time passed quite slowly but sorted out a few problems in my mind. The only disconcerting thing was when a runner shot past me, going twice as fast, so not sure whether he was intending to go that fast. I then thought boy I am slow. However it will be. Legs still tired this morning.

Have fun, will be off the network for a while
  • Just_Ceci
    Back home from Virginia. Wasn't ready to come home, but am ready to get back into a routine!
  • timeasterday
    edited October 2014
    Yesterday I did my longest run ever: 19 miles at 9:16 avg pace. I felt pretty good until the last half mile (which was uphill). The cooler/drier weather helped a lot. I felt much better than a week ago when it was warm & humid. I'm a little sore today here & there and walking a bit slower than usual. This coming weekend I'll do my last really long run (20 miles) before the marathon. I'm looking forward to two weeks of tapering! My wife ran 23 miles yesterday and has started her 3-week taper. She's going for 3:40 and I'm hoping for 3:50 but would love to be in the 3:40's. Gotta average 8:45/mile or less to hit that goal. My plan is to start with the 4:00 pace group and stick with them for 6-8 miles and then slowly get a bit faster. Hopefully it works out!
  • Just_Ceci
    Great job, Tim! Can't imagine being able to hold that pace for that long!

I ran yesterday with my friend from work. We did 5 to 10k, w2d1 at her pace (13:35). It was a great 4 miles. When I run with her, I have to make myself slow down. Yesterday, I concentrated on shorter steps while keeping up with the beat of the music I was listening to. I think the shorter steps are better on my feet too. Today, I'm supposed to run with her daughter, who just started Couch to 5k.

The weather is absolutely beautiful this week!
  • Just_Ceci
    Yesterday, I ran with my friend and her daughter. We did Couch to 5k w2d1. Afterwards, I ran another couple of miles on my own. Felt great and kept a pretty steady pace. Ended up with 2.23 miles in 20:54 for a pace of 9:22. Pretty sure that was my fastest 2 miles so far! Wish the weather was like this all the time!
  • romyhorse
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Romy, it's so nice to hear of your runs with your son. That is wonderful. Do you run on the sand at the beach or along a trail/pathway?

There is an upper and lower esplanade which you run along, its quite flat but can be very cold and windy.

Its great that you are helping your friend and her daughter Ceci.

I was out with JogScotland last night and today was an 8km tempo run. Unfortunately my body wasn't ready for it, I've had too many easy weeks! I tried really hard for the first 4km but I just couldn't find the pace, so it turned into an 8km easy run in 54 minutes. The last km and a half were actually the easiest!
  • Just_Ceci
    Went for my last evening ride of the year with my girls' group yesterday. :'( We only managed 5 miles before it got too dark. (I rode 5 miles earlier by myself.) I love the fall colors, but hate that the days are getting shorter.

This weekend promises some pretty awesome weather, so hoping to get out and enjoy it!

Make it a great one!
  • PaytraB
    I ran 10K today! It took me 1:20 to complete and I ran 5K+3K+2K. The first 8K were in the 7:45-8:00/Km rate range; the last 2K were about 8:15/Km. In between the running segments, I walked for 4 minutes.
  • timeasterday
    I'm finally in taper mode for the marathon! Saturday I did my longest run ever: 21 miles at 9:10 avg pace. I felt great during the entire run. Not so great when I stopped running. Every muscle in my legs ached. I had to walk around for a while to get my legs to calm down. Now I feel very confident about hitting 3:50 or maybe a few minutes less for the marathon.
  • Just_Ceci
    I ran 40 minutes on Friday afternoon, 3.69 miles. About half was on a dirt trail around Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Beautiful fall color and I set a course record (according to Strava) for that trail loop! Average overall pace- 10:52.

Saturday, I rode 26 miles with a couple of girls. More beautiful fall color.

Sunday was a beautiful day and I had every intention of getting out and running, but I felt a little under the weather, so just walked the dog and sat around the rest of the day. Got in some crocheting and watching football!
  • Just_Ceci
    I felt like crap most of the day yesterday, but decided to run anyway. Managed 4.5 miles in 48 minutes through my National Park, 10:37 average pace. The weather was perfect, the fall color is beautiful, the deer were abundant. Hoping that whatever this crud is that I've got clears up soon. I guess it's allergies.
  • Just_Ceci
    No running or riding for me lately- my head cold developed into a chest cold and my sinuses are plugged. :disappointed: Hoping I'll be better by Saturday!
  • timeasterday
    edited October 2014
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    No running or riding for me lately- my head cold developed into a chest cold and my sinuses are plugged. :disappointed: Hoping I'll be better by Saturday!

Sorry to hear that Ceci! Hope you get to feeling better soon! I started feeling a sore throat on Monday and immediately started taking Airborne twice a day. My throat is still sore today but no other symptoms have developed. Now my wife is getting it.