Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the half, Tim! Great job! I love riding my motorcycle in the Smokies, I bet it would be nice to run there too!

Andie, switching days probably won't matter much at this point.

I had planned to ride with a friend yesterday after work, but when I got off WAY early, I decided to go for a run. Went through a local park and onto the grounds of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (my favorite place for trail runs!) I managed just under 4 miles at an 11:09 pace. Still not happy with the shoes, but no blisters this time.

I went ahead and rode 14.5 miles with my friend too! (I'm thinking I will do a duathlon next year.)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yay for no blisters Ceci! bummer you're still not actually happy with the shoes though! You definitely should do a duathalon next year!

Andie, you'll be fine switching the long & short runs. 99% of the plans you get off the internet have the long run on the weekend simply because that's when 95% of the population can fit them in! I know what you mean about being able to run further each time. The improvement that comes with a program is wonderful for motivation!

Go Patrya! Mega kudos for heading out on a run when you weren't feeling it!

Great work on your half Tim! Have you contacted the organisers about the discrepancy? I know of a race where they had to use the backup system and it wasn't until several runners contacted the organisers they realised they had to adjust the times. Either way, kick *kitten* time and placing dude :)

Robbie, I've updated my profile :). FYI One of the dudes I was running with on Tuesday is a 3:12 marathoner (Done on his first/only official marathon). Done near the end of his 50 Miler training program. He actually has his 50mile race this weekend.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Fantastic find thanks for sharing.

Yesterday got the 4 mile back to back, first time done running 24 hours apart. This is habit forming : P
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    5 mile hill interval session this morning (05:20). 1.5 mile out, 5 intervals (2mile), 1.5 mile back. It was cold 5C, had to double layer tops, first use of the beanie and should have used gloves, at least it was dry. This is habit forming although this morning it was the first time I did not notice the endorphins kick in, but I am not fazed by 5 mile runs anymore. Have fun over your weekend.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great progress Robbie!

After a busy brain numbing Friday it was a little late when I headed out for my run. Gotta love my trusty headlamp! Which meant I could still head out on the trails.
    It was my first time running trails by headlamp, so that stole a bit of pace as well as simply running trails by headlamp steals pace. First few km were great... slow but great, to be expected with the hills. Around the midpoint of my run I spotted tails lights of a car, and then as I got closer I saw the car a few young guys standing around. I slowed down as I drew closer and saw a motorbike on its side. Turns out one of the guys had been foolish and taken his road bike offroad. Turns out he had dropped the bike, wedged his hand somewhere between the body of the bike and the rear tyre and also blacked out for a bit. I helped the guys get the bike back on it's wheels and hung around a little while as they debated what to do. The fool that had dropped his bike seemed ok, besides his sore hand. One of the guys said they'd be fine so I set off on the way home.

I picked up some accidental pace on the next km or so as it was reasonable track, still faster than I should have been going by headlamp. A good run overall. Today was umm 2hrs of horse riding as our monthly Search & Rescue training exercise. A fair bit of walk, with some trot. Haven't uploaded the ride to Garmin yet to look at properly. Can't wait for my 18k social trail run on Monday.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    3mile easy run done. The move from 3 days a week on C210k to 5 days a week as HM baseline training has been painless, being out more often for less time is working at the moment, but I know there are long long runs to come. Enjoying though at the moment. Followed this mornings run with a coaching for 90 minutes at the local rugby club. While we were there the nottingham marathon runners started to go past. So we gave some of them some encouragement before getting the boys home.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I finished off a pretty good week of training with a 17.5-mile run yesterday. That was my longest run yet and I averaged a 9:10 pace. The cool weather and light mist really helped me feel great the entire way. For the week I had a little over 43 miles. In September I had 3 weeks over 40 miles which I have never done before. This summer every time I got close to 40 miles/week something would start hurting. I'll hit 165 miles for the month with tomorrow's run. I can't believe October is almost here! Gotta build up to a 20 (or more) mile long run then start tapering later in the month.

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work Tim!! Glad your build up is going well!

Robbie, glad it's all going well for you! 5 times a week.. that's more often than I run.

Today started my week off with some good distance. Went out with a bunch of friends to do some recon on the track some of them are running later this year during an ultra. We had planned to only do 18k of the course, but we missed a turn and ended up running nearly 23k. Some decent elevation, mostly good wide track. We got rained on a few times, but no one cared. It was a good run with great company, and my legs are letting me know about it now.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    You guys ROCK!

No running for me lately, although I did manage about 65 miles on the bicycle this weekend! I'm trying to take full advantage of the gorgeous weather we're having, because I know it won't last long. Supposed to be in the 40's for my 50 mile ride on Saturday.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ran the River Ness 10k yesterday. It went pretty well. Was on pace to get very close to 60 minutes but I got a severe stitch in the last km and had to walk for a bit. Thankfully it eased before the end and I was able to sprint the last few hundred metres and high-5 all the kids lining the finish. Finished in 1:01:40 which was 6 minutes faster than last year.

I have to say I was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up my pace all the way through the race. I have been following a training plan since May for this specific race but because none of my training runs were at race pace I was always doubtful that I would be able to do it. But I guess it shows that if you put in the training it will pay off.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Still feeling run over by a truck. I haven't run in a week. I hope I feel stronger on Tuesday. Great job all on getting out there and kicking butt!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a very long time. Been running but while trying to recover from plantars there isn't a whole lot that's exciting to report. In August I started trying to learn to swim and also bought a bike since my "long" runs were 3-4 miles.

A week ago I ran 10K (ran the Beat the Blerch virtual 10K) which was my longest run in over 2 months, and I didn't have heel pain the next day, so I'm excited about that. My first attempt at 5 miles caused heel pain so my trainer backed me down again before letting me try it again, so I was apprehensive how it would go. This past weekend he originally was going to have me taper back to 4-5 miles but instead he assigned me a duathlon - 5K run, 20 mile bike, 5K run. Including an 11 minute cool-down walk it took me 2:37, which is almost exactly my time for my half back in June. In other words this was my longest workout in 3 months and it pretty much kicked my butt.

Ceci as far as the blisters, what kind of socks are you wearing? Are you wearing actual running socks?

Awesome job on the race Tim! What a fantastic time.

Robbie I'm actually slower than you are and since you just graduated 10K (congrats!) I've been been running longer, so don't sell yourself short! It took me a solid year to start getting nuances in my running speed though. And even now on any given day I might be slow as molasses even on my short runs.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ceci as far as the blisters, what kind of socks are you wearing? Are you wearing actual running socks?

I am wearing actual running socks. Most of the time I wear a very thin sock inside my running sock. That with Vaseline seems to be the best so far in preventing blisters.

I'm thinking maybe my shoes might not be wide enough at the ball of my foot.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I went back to the running store to see what my options are with the shoes. Since I bought the shoes on clearance, they won't take them back without consulting the owner who wasn't there. :grumble:

The person who sold me the shoes tried to convince me I need a larger size shoe. I took my shoes off and showed her (again) where the shoe is rubbing. My toes are fine, it's the side of the ball of my foot that is bothering me. (Besides, if I needed larger shoes why didn't she push that when I bought them in the first place!?:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: )

She re-laced the left shoe skipping the first holes (closest to the toes) and that seemed to help. I only ran 2 miles yesterday, but didn't experience any discomfort. Hoping that did the trick! We will see the next time I do a longer run.

ETA: my 2 mile run was around my block- almost completely flat. Finished the 2 miles in 19:43.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My wife does that on several of her shoes - skips the first lace holes. She has bunions on both feet but not very severe. Just enough to make many shoes uncomfortable. A wider toe box would help.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope the lacing does the trick Ceci, otherwise you might need to look into another brand with a wider toe box. I do hope you figure out the secret to avoiding your blisters. Have you tried some of the thinner running specific lube stuff, like bodyglide instead of vaseline? It might let your feet breath a little better.

Tuesday night I did my group/social run. I did my warmup at dead on 6min/km pace, my social laps varied a bit and averaged 5:45, then the social run which was averaging 6ish pace as I ran with a friend and chatted, the chatting ceased as we passed the 3.5k mark and the speed dropped to about 5:45, and then around 4.4k we were chasing down the front two, but she was having a hard time holding the pace and told me to go. So I went! Caught the front two runners and shot by them bringing the last km home in 4:28. It was an effort for that pace, but considering I dropped from 5:30-5:45 to 4/(or below) for the average of 4:28 I'm very happy with it. Especially as with Monday's unexpected trail HM I managed to exceed ALL of last weeks mileage in two sessions of running. It also brought my monthly mileage to 190km/119(ish)miles. My biggest month ever WHOO HOO!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I'm trying a lube that I got at the running store.

I rode 15 miles yesterday which put me at 400 total miles for the month. Only about 40 of that was actual running. After my 50 mile ride this weekend, I'm planning to shift focus to more running days than riding.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ran the River Ness 10k yesterday. It went pretty well. Was on pace to get very close to 60 minutes but I got a severe stitch in the last km and had to walk for a bit. Thankfully it eased before the end and I was able to sprint the last few hundred metres and high-5 all the kids lining the finish. Finished in 1:01:40 which was 6 minutes faster than last year.

I have to say I was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up my pace all the way through the race. I have been following a training plan since May for this specific race but because none of my training runs were at race pace I was always doubtful that I would be able to do it. But I guess it shows that if you put in the training it will pay off.

Awesome, it is so uplifting to read bout someone train so hard and then achieve their goals. Well done