Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    C210k completed. 10k finished in 01:01:42, about 3 mins better than I was expecting and 7:10 better than my previous effort, doing intervals. As a byproduct my 5k snuck under 30mins (29:52) a 30 sec improvement from a month ago.

I also got embroiled in a bleep test yesterday, huge mistake, I managed 6-2 failing at 6-3 and 6-4. My mind was not prepared to keep pushing. I suspect that with a stronger mindset, I would have got into level 7 but at the end of a long week, my mind overruled my body. I now remember why I detested them so much when I was in my 20's, they are just a sadistic tool for coaches.

I am now looking forward to the easy period prior to starting the training for the HM. Hope you all have an enjoyable and successful weekend. Have fun.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Congrats on the sub 30 Romy!! Sub29 in your future, especially on flat ground!

Welcome back MadMiss

Good luck for this weekend Tim & wife

I'd rather run in the rain than the dreadmill Ceci, but dreadmill is better than no run at all.

Congrats on finishing C210K Robbie. Onwards and upwards! I've never done a beep test. Enjoy your downtime before your HM training!

Tuesday I did my group stuff, first 5k at an easy 6min/km pace, the social laps was done at around 5:30 pace for another 5k and the final 5k was done mostly at a slow pace, keeping a friend company. She took at shortcut near the end and I finished the last 1500m or so around 5:30 pace again.

Wednesday my new toy arrived... with no runs until Friday... I just fiddled with the watch, lots more fiddling to do yet.
    Friday I went out on the trails, 8k or so, a few hundred metres of elevation. Both harder and easier than intended, but it was a good run. I need to push on the hills more often. Saturday I was timekeeper at parkrun, which meant I couldn't run parkrun. So I ran to and from parkrun. Run down was nice, run home I could feel the accumulated fatigue in my legs. This wraps up another 25+mile week for me. Well on track to have another 100mile month.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    This weekend instead of running I was climbing a mountain. Me and 7 friends climbed Lochnagar. It was 19km in total and took us 7 hours. It was a long tiring day but the weather was perfect and we all had a great time, but the last 1 and 1/2 hour hike from the bottom of the mountain to the car seemed to take forever. Then we drank lots of alcohol and danced till 1am. Perfect day, lol! The only part of me that is sore is my big toenails, I stubbed my toes a few times on the steep descent! Hopefully get out for a run tomorrow and go out with JogScotland on Wednesday and then my 10k race on Sunday. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Tim, how was your half marathon?

The treadmill has its challenges. Boredom is one of them. Like Robbie, I don't seem to run at a steady pace and am forever changing the speed on the treadmill to try to match my gait. Since I'm trying to forget that I'm running on a treadmill and just run & relax into the music & rhythm, the constant manipulating is distracting. However, it's better than not running and is my only option in the winter. Luckily, I have a treadmill at home so it's quite easy to just get on it and run.

Robbie, congratulations on completing C210K and your time is great! Way to go! And a 5K in under 30 minutes!! Nice run!

Romy, your hike sounds wonderful.

Today I ran 7K in 54:54. Robbie, that's about 8K to your 10K. :laugh: I had a wonderful run and thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather was sunny, warm but not hot and I followed the river, went through a park and back along the river. It's nice to run and watch the tugs go by. Today there were many walkers and bikers on the path but only a couple of runners. In the park is an arched wooden bridge that jumps a bit when I'm running across the center (high point). It's a bit tricky to place one's feet when one's ground keeps moving. I've only run this path a couple of times and that bridge is fun to run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Looks like everyone has been doing great!

Awesome job on your 10k Robbie! I'm still working on getting my 5k under 30 minutes.

Paytra, sounds like a wonderful place to run!

Romy, we have some nice hiking trails through the Ozarks near here. I really need to get out there and hike now that I am in better shape!

I have been lazy, sort of. Instead of running on Friday, I decided to walk around the local art museum (www.crystalbridges.org) to see the new State of the Arts exhibit.

Saturday, I did a long ride (45 miles) on the bicycle with my girls' bike group.

I had every intention of running yesterday but I just didn't. I watched football and took a nap instead. I will run today.
  • ftrobbie
    Ceci, mine came with doing distance, nothing more nothing less. But I can't ride for toffee, 45 miles sounds a long way. Well done and rest is just as important as play!!

Paytra, it does sure sound nice, I love bridges and ones that are live as you use them I really do enjoy. I am sure you are on the way to meeting your end of winter goals.

Romy, I am sure you are going to take it easy, I hope your 10k at the weekend goes well.

taeliesyn, you are a busy boy helping out others. Well done on getting the miles in and please get out and use your new toy. You deserve it.

Me, simple went out for an easy run, 3 miles, now doing a modified bridge programme to get to HM training. Kept the heart rate down, for the first time. The only issue I have is that runs now happen in the dark, early morning, although I get to see the dawn, but even that won't be for long. At least it's not wet or too cold yet.

Enjoy yourselves, with whatever you do.
  • taeliesyn
    Sounds like a good weekend Romy, hope your toe has recovered.
    Good run Paytra, the bridge sounds interesting!
    Ceci, nice ride on the weekend. I hope you did get out there for your run! 'Easiest' to use the term loosely way to bring your 5k time down is to work on your distance, I've gotten mine down the same way as Robbie.
    Robbie, it's one of those things with group runs, you help someone one run, someone else helps you another :). Get yourself a good headlamp and you'll be fine running in the dark. Maybe some reflective gear too.

Yesterday I did my normal home hill circuit. Playing with settings on my watch, I had a fast & slow alert set, will be good for training but maybe not for the home circuit. The fast alert was useful, the slow one generally only came on on the hills. I did walk part of one hill as my left calf was getting tight. Nearly turned for home, but pushed on and another k or so in it all loosened up. Group run tonight, may only do 10k instead of my normal 15. Having a bit of a cut back week.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I skipped my long run, using the time to take my kids to a one mile fun run. My 4-year-old ran the full mile and the 2-year-old made it about a 1/4 mile before she petered out.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    hi all again! miss you bunches :) still running 3 miles a day in the upwards of 80% humidity every day- can't WAIT for it to get cool enough for me to go a long way without water (I still really hate carrying water) - next race will probably be a 10K on Dec 5th (savannah bridge run) - still haven't made up my mind about the half marathon in Nov (Rock and roll) the one Tim and his wife are doing (they are doing the full I think!)?

Yep, we are doing the full. Going to have a bunch of people from our local running group down there so it should be a good time.

I am also looking forward to cooler weather. We have a half marathon up in the Smoky Mountains this Saturday and race morning is forecast to be 57°. I can't wait for that!

Oh wow. That's your first full, right?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I ran yesterday, 5k in my national park. 1 minute faster than the last time I ran the same route. 10:04 pace (according to RunDouble) with my fastest mile at 8:39 (according to Strava). This route is mostly uphill the first half and then mostly downhill back to the start.

This was my first real run in the new shoes. Can't say I'm thrilled with them. I ended the run with a blister on the ball of my left foot. I forgot my vaseline so it probably wasn't just the shoes. :frown: Maybe someday I'll find that magic combination that will let me run without blisters!
  • ftrobbie
    I live in a city so well lit for seeing where I am going, although I ensure that I have plenty of reflective material on me (mainly snap bands), I don't trust motorists. I try to ensure that I run towards oncoming traffic despite being on the pavement, I want to see what might hit me, yes I am that paranoid. I am also more aware of runners than I was previously, given I know what it feels like.

Ceci, well done on going faster, as for the blisters I have always found antiseptic cream, toughens them up, don't ask how I found out. Shame the new shoes aren't as nice as you expected.

likitisplit congratulations on getting the kiddywinks out, mine at 4 would not even walked a mile let alone run it. Although they both play rugby now.

Have fun
  • PaytraB
    Varda, congratulations to your daughters for their great runs! Well done, girls!

Ceci, sorry to hear of the blister. Hope its not the shoes. Well done on going a minute faster!

I'm not sure if my new shoes are quite right either. No blisters but my toes feel "different". I'm trying to pin down how they feel myself. The shoes are a 1/2 size larger than normal because of width and I think the toe box may be a bit too big and the toes not held securely. Does that happen? Do toes wobble around if the toe box is too big?
    Next time, I'd probably go for another shoe if my chosen shoe is too narrow, instead of going up a 1/2 size. I may end up swapping these out earlier than usual. They are the first pair (out of 3) that I'm not completely happy with.

Romy taught me today that I don't need to run a full 5K every time I go out. If I have a half hour or less, I can still go for a run, albeit a shorter one. Any run is better than no run. I need to remember that.
    Laura taught me that I can use these shorter runs to try for a faster pace.
    Eureka!! :laugh:
  • taeliesyn
    Ceci - bugger about the blister! Well done on the faster run though!
    Varda - Family comes first and you're setting a great example for your daughters :)

Paytra, you can have the feeling of toes wobbling if the toebox is too big. Perhaps a different lacing style will help out?

Last night was Tuesdays group/social run as normal. Originally I had planned on skipping my pre-social 5k as I'm having a cut back week. Kinda forgot about that and got there with plenty of time for the pre-social. Ran with 2 of the other guys that do extra distance. All good except I ran at their easy pace which pushed me well into what is meant to be my tempo range. Still I managed to have a bit of a conversation and I didn't feel dead at the end of it so I'm happy with that. Did my laps pretty well solo, as that's just how it ended up being timing wise, I did remember to cut that a little short so I only did 3.9k instead of my normal 5+ and then the social run which was at a reasonable pace. I went out with the front group and we held a fairly even pace, until the home stretch push where for the last few hundred meters I dropped into the low 3min pace as I was trying to chase one of the other guys down.
  • ftrobbie
    Well, I love the fact that someone else's easy runs are your tempo runs and given your pace your easy runs are probably like my flat out sprints. :laugh:

Slotted an easy run in this morning right at the slow end of the mcmillan training pace guides which link in to my expected HM time based on the only 10k distance I've done. Heart rate stayed in the 70-80% MHR zone for most of the time. There are 2 short inclines, which got the HR up. And it rained, I knew it was coming so dressed appropriately, this makes me feel like a runner, doing sessions in the rain. Three months ago I would have laughed at you, both for doing 4 miles and doing it the rain. :bigsmile: Now it just seems normal. We'll see how tomorrow goes with the first time I have been running on consecutive days.
  • taeliesyn
    Don't sell yourself short Robbie! I'd say my easy are probably your tempo.
    Running in the rain always makes you feel 100% more hardcore about your running :D

That's one thing I love about running, everyone has the same challenges, just at different speeds and unless you're at the pointy end of running, you can pretty well guarantee that your temp is someone else's easy etc.
  • ftrobbie
    Too true re relative levels. However I only do 4 speeds not quite slow, slow, slower, stopped. :laugh: . I am a one paced beast.

You ought to update your profile for your completed 10k and HMs. Have fun, looking forward to hearing more about your toy
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I just got back from the Great Smoky Mountains and had a pretty good race up there. I was going to take it easy but I felt good and kept pushing the pace a bit faster each mile to see how my achilles would respond. Never felt any pain the entire half marathon. Course was tough on my legs & ankles due to severe banking on all the curves. But it was pretty running along a river most of the way and the mountains finally came into view on the last couple of miles. There were some hills on miles 9 & 10 which slowed down a lot of people. I took it slow the first 3 miles so I had plenty of energy left for the end. I passed lots of people during the last 3 miles. They had some timing issues so I didn't have an official time when I checked. They said "oh we have a backup" and assured me everything would be fixed. Eventually they put me down at 1:46:56 but I'm not sure that's right. I hit my Garmin exactly at the start & finish lines and it said 1:48. Oh well, I'm happy either way. They awarded age groups 5 deep and I got 4th in my AG. The race organizers said they would never use that timing company again. I hope so because I plan on returning next year.
  • ftrobbie
    Tim , great news on the run and the time. Sure sounds like a great course, and well done for surviving without aggravating your injuries. Hope this is the start of a long injury free period for you.
  • PaytraB
    Tim, congrats on your half marathon! You did great...4th in your age group is fantastic!

Robbie, your speeds sound like my speeds. I'm not quite convinced I can go as fast as "not quite slow". :laugh:

Had a great run today. Wasn't really feeling it but decided to get out and just run. 5K in 37:19. Call me Surprised!
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    It's been a while since I last updated. I'm on week 7 out of 12 of my HM training program. I'm still not sure if I'll sign up for an actual race, but it's just awesome being able to run further and further each time.

Robbie-- your comment made me laugh! I run at the exact same speeds, lol.

Next week will be interesting because I will be out of town taking care of my niece over the weekend right when I'm supposed to have a long run. Since this is a bit more of a structured program than c25k and b210k, I get nervous switching my long and short run days. I'm so afraid of getting hurt, lol.