Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I lovehart_zps290ca646.gif this thread!

Speaking of my times...

For those of you who are not on my friends list yet. I ran a 10k yesterday. It was 65 degrees and raining lightly. I think that's perfect for running! I finished with a personal best time of 1:02:40.9, average pace 10:09. I felt great the whole run, only walked at two water stops long enough to grab a drink. I couldn't believe how much energy I had left at the end. I all out sprinted the last 2/10. I think I could run at a 10:30 ish pace for hours!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    likitisplit - well done on choosing to extend your times.

Ceci - great work on your times and the confidence that you can go at 10:30ish pace for hours.

I planned to run this evening but had the best excuse ever, told not to by the medical profession, early guidance was that I should do whatever I normally do, except it would appear now, exercise. A 24 hr reprieve due to having a 24hr ECG attached, they are too worried it will detach if I perspire, more like when I perspire and the signal noise they get from poor contacts. Need to wait a week for the results but I'm ok with that. Coming off the hypertension meds has helped significantly and the blood flow/ arteries are ok. So hoping that this is going to show what is up.

Have fun and have success.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Robbie - hope everything turns out well with the test.

I'm ramping things up this week after a last week's low mileage. Started the week off with a 10K on Labor Day. I still can't run fast on my achilles so I took it slow and just enjoyed the run. Finished in 57:10. The humidity was awful and people were having a hard time towards the end. I helped push a couple of friend through that last mile. Yesterday I was going out for 7 miles but had to cut it a mile short due to some bad storms that popped up quickly. I was nearly 3 miles from my car when I realized a storm was almost on top of me. Can't see much from the wooded greenway! I picked up the pace and headed back while lightning struck all around me. When I got home the storm really started pounding us. We had non-stop lightning for over 3 hours. Hopefully tonight is not so stormy and I can make up that mile.
  • ftrobbie
    Thanks for the thoughts, rightly or wrongly I am not concerned at the moment. I could worry but what is the point? I will know soon enough.

It makes interesting reading, your slow run is on the opposite side of the hour from my fastest, and your achilles is not strong enough to push it. I know small steps. I am not sure what is more frustrating, not being able to go that fast or realising that you are being limited by your injury and the healing process.

3 hours of non stop lightning, ye gads, we feel it is bad if it goes on for 15 mins. Play it safe. Hope it goes well for you.
  • Just_Ceci
    Got in a 3 mile run at my national park yesterday, just as the sun was setting with a 10:10 pace. I ran to the top of the tallest hill then back down.

Today I ride!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Robbie - hope everything turns out well with the test.

I'm ramping things up this week after a last week's low mileage. Started the week off with a 10K on Labor Day. I still can't run fast on my achilles so I took it slow and just enjoyed the run. Finished in 57:10. The humidity was awful and people were having a hard time towards the end. I helped push a couple of friend through that last mile. Yesterday I was going out for 7 miles but had to cut it a mile short due to some bad storms that popped up quickly. I was nearly 3 miles from my car when I realized a storm was almost on top of me. Can't see much from the wooded greenway! I picked up the pace and headed back while lightning struck all around me. When I got home the storm really started pounding us. We had non-stop lightning for over 3 hours. Hopefully tonight is not so stormy and I can make up that mile.

I feel less stupid for heading out now. I also managed to get lost so the 45 minute run that I planned on cutting short when the storm hit ended up being a 45 minute run.

Electricity city - there was no time between the flashes and the thunder, it was like fire crackers going off. I could have gone with it, but the stupidity + being lost took a bite out of the enjoyment of running through the battle of the Titans.

I finally relaxed, I mean I was finding my way back as quickly as I could and barring knocking on somebody's door I was out in it so there wasn't a lot of reason to stay stressed. At which point, I passed another runner and said "woo hoo" He responded "Get home before you get struck" I was like "NO KIDDING!"

Though, reflectively, I should have knocked. Trying to keep appointments is the number one killer in the outdoors.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Yesterday ran 6k sprint intervals. Legs felt tired and sore but the sprints parts went well, I read the times on my training plan wrong and ran the sprints in 5:30/km pace instead of 6:00/km. Today was a 4km run, legs still felt tired and sore. I have to run 10 miles this weekend so I am going to do some yoga tomorrow and take it easy.

Have a great weekend everyone and have a great HM Donna!
  • ftrobbie
    Yesterday ran 6k sprint intervals. Legs felt tired and sore but the sprints parts went well, I read the times on my training plan wrong and ran the sprints in 5:30/km pace instead of 6:00/km. Today was a 4km run, legs still felt tired and sore. I have to run 10 miles this weekend so I am going to do some yoga tomorrow and take it easy.

Have a great weekend everyone and have a great HM Donna!
    Hope that mistake does not cause significant issues on your 10 miler. Hope you enjoy it. Best of luck
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Good work on the new running style LS, silly for being out in the storm, glad it all worked out ok. Glad you're feeling good enough to extend your runs!
    Tim, you're just as bad for being out in an electrical storm ( I know it wasn't planned!), nice time on your 10k though :)
    Donna, you'll be fine you've done your prep!
    Ceci, excellent work on your 10K
    Robbie - hope all goes well with your tests!
    Romy I'm sure after your yoga and a day off running you'll be fine for your 10 miler!

Tonight made my 3rd run this week, Monday was a quick 5k of hell on super dead legs, it was the first time I wished I lived on the flat, rather than the hills. Tuesday was my normal group run although I took it a bit easier and only did about 13k, rather than my normal 15.
    Tonight despite the fact my ankle is still slightly swollen I headed out to the trails, I sort of got lost in thought and before I knew it I was 8k from home. Ankle was feeling pretty good, but considering I hadn't even taken water with me I figured it was a smart decision to turn around and head home making the run just shy of 16k total. I averaged about 7:30min/km which I'm happy with. Wasn't aiming for a fast run and clocked up about 1500ft of elevation change.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    10 mile run went well today. Was up at 6am and home before my kids had got out of bed. Walked the dog, showered, had breakfast and out the door by 9am. Shopping done, dishwasher emptied, washing hung out and now I am going to sit on my bum all afternoon and watch the F1 qualifying and the Vuelta!

Passed a local marathon runner on my run, (she runs sub 3 hour marathons!) and she was wearing the capris that I want! She is incredibly skinny, I'm sure they would look better on my curves, lol. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, they are out of stock.

Enjoy your weekend!
  • ftrobbie
    Put in a 13.8km run/walk session on Friday in 1hr40, it went a lot better than the long session the previous week. Saturday also felt a lot better than last weekend, less stiffness in my legs. What was also better, from a mindset perspective, was doing nothing yesterday and not worrying about it. My mindset has changed significantly from a desire to do something everyday to a mindset of the rest days are the crucial days, the repairing of the damage done by the progressive overload stimulus. Got rugby coaching this morning but have looked at the week ahead and I think I will end up doing tomorrows run later today as I think I am going to run out of time tomorrow. Just too much work and not enough day. After Friday, I am lot more relaxed about a HM in 5 months time, I thought I could go for at least another 30 mins on Friday. However due to doing run walk intervals the pace on the run intervals was greater than doing continuous pieces, I also noted that doing smaller run intervals compared to the pure B210k, the walk intervals were also faster. Undecided as to whether to go for a continuous run strategy or a Galloway run/walk strategy for the half. I know it's a personal choice, I might be better placed to make a choice once I have done a continuous 10k piece. Hope your weekends are going well.
  • Just_Ceci
    I was supposed to do a 60 mile bike ride yesterday, but it got rained out, so I went for a long run instead. By the time I got to the park, the rain had pretty much stopped and it had cooled down. I ran a full loop around the park plus a little extra to man it 7 miles in 1:12:43, 10:15 pace. Miles 4, 5, and 6 (partly downhill) were under 10 minute miles! No walking breaks, just running!

We did a 30 mile ride today. The weather was absolutely perfect!
  • timeasterday
    Yesterday I did my longest run yet: 16.3 miles at a 9:15 average pace. I started closer to 10:00 pace and by the last mile I was down to 8:30 pace. That was the end of my biggest week yet: 44 miles. Just some minor soreness in my achilles but nothing I am too concerned about. This week drops down a little to 40 miles as I get ready for a half marathon on the 20th. I probably will not be "racing" that half, just enjoying it and taking it easy on myself. In fact I think I will be taking it easy on all my races between now and the marathon in November. No point ruining my marathon for a smaller race.

On Saturday my wife ran the Divas Half Marathon in Peachtree City and finished 15th overall out of 2,253. It wasn't a PR but she was happy with a 1:45 time in the heat & humidity.
  • ftrobbie
    It's great hearing about how well you guys are going, it is very inspiring for someone new to this activity.

Put in a 1 hour session yesterday which went well, I am genuinely amazed about where I am having to run to get an hours run in. I would never have thought it 12 weeks ago. And for that I have zenlabs and you guys to thank.

Thank you
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Well I finished the half marathon! It wasn't fast. My official time was 3 hours 11 minutes and some seconds. It was hot! Really hot and humid and sunny! Sunday was not hot. Sunday was really nice, but Saturday was hot. The Amish community, who ran this half marathon, was really nice. They were well organized, had plenty of everything, and supported all the runners, even the last ones in. There were a number of children on ladders with hoses with sprinkler heads spraying any runners who wanted to be sprayed with water. All the watering areas had plenty of kids and adults with water and gatorade.

I did a lot more walking than I have been and think that I averaged a slower time than I did my 11 and 12 mile runs at. It was hard to run when everyone you saw in front of you was walking and it was just so hot. After about 5 miles, I walked every uphill and ran the downhills and few flat areas. Again, after about 5 miles, I changed my goals to finishing within the maximum time of 4 hours, not getting sun sick like I did on my 10 mile practice run, and not coming in last. The sun sick was a bit close as I did get disoriented some, but not dizzy. I was well within the maximum time. Plus not even close to last as there were many people after me. Much more before, but plenty after too. Since I did my virtual half on June 1st in a time of 3 hours 15 minutes, this was even a PR for me. I really want to do another half marathon in the Spring though with heat indexes below the three digit territory!

I was still sore this morning, but wanted to get moving again, so Fells and I got out and did three miles before work.
  • ftrobbie
    That is fantastic news, well done on the PR. It is a shame about the heat but really great that you recognised the issues and changed your goals accordingly. I think you should enter another HM now, while you bathe in the positive thoughts of this one.

As mentioned earlier you guys are just so inspiring. I look forward to reading you break the 3 hour mark.
  • timeasterday
    Well done on your half Donna!! Congrats! Yeah, this heat can't go away fast enough.
  • taeliesyn
    Great work Donna!!
    I'm not looking forward to the heat hitting here :(

Nice work on your runs Tim & Robbie :)

Yesterday arvo after work - 12k as the winds built up for the impending storm that's caused a Severe Weather Warning to be issued for Perth. Somehow I missed 99% of the rain, and the wind for a large part although strong wasn't too much of a hindrance. It tended to blow me up the hills and I think I only had 3k of running against it on the flat. Legs are still heavy from the HM last weekend, and quads are definitely still shot but it was a good run and my second fastest over this loop :)
  • taeliesyn
    The group/social run tonight, solo 5k 'warmup' 3-4k of social laps as I'm not doing intervals at the moment and then a final group 5k to finish. About 30 people there tonight, so the group is growing. Great weather great people, great night!
  • ftrobbie
    Donna, nice medal and shirt in your profile pic.

taeliesyn - great to see you getting out after reporting you were still recovering from the half marathon. Did you follow any particular post race running strategy or just left it to nature and feeling?

Did another 1 hour session, a nice easy one. It felt good and I thought I was moving well. Post event analysis shows that it was an easy session but nowhere near as fast as I thought I was going. Not sure whether the cool of running at 5am in the morning tricked me or the fact it was pre dawn on lit streets tricked me into thinking I was going faster. Anyway happy just to get 10k into the legs.