Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Last nights run was a bit of a mix, first 5k was great though legs were heavy. Second 5k slowed a little and again great. Last 5k slowed a bucket load more as I took up the tail runner for our group darkrun. Helped one member do her first 5k without stopping for a walk break!! WHOOOO. That's all good.
    The bad... on my last 5k my ankle twinge came and went several times, and has stuck around after the run/overnight. Looks like it's a medial ligament strain according to Dr google. Soooo time to back off the miles a bit and have a few days rest to see how it goes. Sad sad me.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Romy/ Ceci, it was just a realisation for me that c210k was becoming something I had to do faster, without getting the fact that just doing the programme was itself progress. I had not linked my years of slow steady sessions rowing with easy pace here. I would think nothing about doing morning and evening rowing sessions just drilling ss sessions with more focussed lactate threhold and high pace sessions. And your comments tonight have helped me understand why running groups work, providing people are in the same mindset. Pieces falling into place, thanks ladies.

Taliesyn, more good deeds, 15km still seems a long way to me and helping out others too. You are truly an inspiration. Sorry to hear about your knee. If it's any consolation, I struggled with a medial collateral ligament issue, two years ago for 8 weeks. When I finally got it seen to, a Corticosteroid injection to the knee had it fixed in a couple of weeks. I hope you find a solution for it.

Edit: ENT consultant does not believe it is an ear/ balance issue, he believes it is a circulatory problem. I need to see that cardiologist later today.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Last nights run was a bit of a mix, first 5k was great though legs were heavy. Second 5k slowed a little and again great. Last 5k slowed a bucket load more as I took up the tail runner for our group darkrun. Helped one member do her first 5k without stopping for a walk break!! WHOOOO. That's all good.
    The bad... on my last 5k my ankle twinge came and went several times, and has stuck around after the run/overnight. Looks like it's a medial ligament strain according to Dr google. Soooo time to back off the miles a bit and have a few days rest to see how it goes. Sad sad me.

Sorry to hear that. Good decision to rest it. Don't run through pain like me!

Since the chiro gave me the OK the run, but avoid hills, I went to the track yesterday and did some easy running while my wife did a crazy 20x400m workout. I ran 3 miles at first to see how my achilles was feeling. Stopped for some stretching then I let myself cool down a bit to see if it got sore again. I felt fine and ran another mile, then more stretching, then one more mile for a total of 5. Then I did some eccentric calf drops on a stair as the doctor recommended. My achilles was a little sore when I got out of the car later at home. But fortunately this morning there's no pain at all. I'm looking forward to another visit with the chiro tomorrow, even though I know it's going to be painful.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Glad that you're healing, Tim. You seem to be going about it in the right way, so as to not reinjure yourself.

Sorry about the foot, taeliesyn. Hope that any pain goes away quickly and stays away!

I know what you mean, Ceci. I keep looking at retirement advice columns hoping that they wouldn't keep telling me that I need to wait 10+ years. I want more time to do the things I want to do, now!! At least, I'm hoping that my current exercise and diet will help me have energy and health to enjoy those years, if they ever come.

Oh ftrobbie, I really hope that there is nothing seriously wrong with your circulatory system! It's great that you're getting it checked out as soon as possible.

I was so happy last Sunday that I didn't have a reoccurance of my dizziness and flashing vision when I stopped running. I think my problem is very much heat/bright sun related. I have never done well with full sun in the summer.

Really enjoyed my run last night. I ran to my trainer workout. On the way I passed a girl all decked out in running gear. It's the first time that I've seen a dedicated running child alone on the path. I've seen a couple of boys, each running with an older male, probably their fathers, but this was the first girl I've seen and the first child running alone. She looked to be about 10 years old and very seriously focused. Good for her!

After the trainer workout, on the way back, I passed the same girl, and this time she was walking with a slightly younger boy, I also passed a couple that sounded like they were having a serious relationship conversation. The woman was saying, in a scolding tone, "Well what did you expect would happen? And what do you want to happen?". She had a Boston Terrier on a leash with her; probably walking the dog until he stopped to talk to her. (I can make up all sorts of scenarios in my mind which probably have no basis in reality).

I was thinking about not getting bored on my running route and how different each run seemed to be based on who was on or next to the path for each run. So many people, all going through their lives.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Last night I did 6.5 miles and my achilles felt better than the night before. The run was much slower than Tuesday's run which probably made a difference. I think I am going to slow down all my runs for now and just focus on building endurance. 11 weeks until the marathon!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I headed to my national park after 7 PM last night, hoping it would be cooler than anywhere else I could run. It probably was cooler, but still stinking hot, even at 8:30 when I finished.

I knew I wouldn't have time to finish the whole route (6.8 miles) before dark, so I cut through a dirt road that runs through the park. I stopped once to take a picture of the sunset and walked for a short distance at one point, but still made it back to the parking lot before it was too dark. Both apps I was using failed to completely record the activity (MapMyFitness skipped the cool down walk- user error!) I ran 4.7 miles in just under 51 minutes for an average pace of 10:48. Total distance around 5.25 miles in just over an hour. I'm wishing there were more dirt paths around here. My feet loved not being on pavement!

[img]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/ctoons/Mobile Uploads/99b1d719-4c94-4bd9-b8b1-9085a7a3d4f9_zps176c2e46.jpg[/img]
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    W10D3 done at an even slower pace than normal. Tried keeping the heart rate in an easy fat burning zone rather than the slightly more elevated rate I normally go at. It felt as though I could of just kept going this morning. The only deviation was a faster pace effort towards the end to really raise the heart rate just before the end. So as I said the other day thanks for all the advice, picked up from your wise posts.

The consultant believes that the the dizziness is caused by me being over medicated, so as of tomorrow, no more blood pressure meds. Its all due to shedding 31 kgs and eating more healthily. However the doctors last week discounted all that. However due to the difference of opinion, I am subject to more prodding and poking in a couple of weeks time when the blood pressure meds should have cleared the system.

Ceci, I feel your pain, the opportunities for dirt tracks for me is limited and as I realised this morning, it is getting darker and darker in the morning, soon it will be lighted pavements.

Tim, great work, hope your training does not get interrupted by injury.

btsinmd, so glad your run was without incident, it must be a great relief to you.

Onwards and upwards, have fun everyone
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Yesterday was another great visit with the chiro. I can't say enough good things about her. She's an ultra runner so she understands us (she's doing a 200-mile race in two weeks!). More re-aligning the hip and now she's getting into all the hip flexors and loosening those up. My calf & hamstring are starting to loosen up and the achilles tendon is almost totally pain-free now.

I did a short 4-mile run last night and my legs felt good but it was so darn hot. My Garmin said it was the same effort as my 6.5-mile run the night before. It was nearly 10 degrees warmer last night which made all the difference! I am cleared to run as much and as far as I want now, but no speedwork and no big hills. I am hoping to do 15 miles on Sunday.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    BT, glad your run was good and you didn't have any dizzy spells
    Ceci, I would go crazy if I didn't have my trails near by. Some days I wish they were a little flatter lol. I think trail running is a lot better for the body than running on the pavement.
    Robbie, I really hope you get to the bottom of your dizzy spells soon, glad you had a good run mate. I still struggle big time on taking it properly easy unless I am running with someone else.
    Tim, glad your chiro is doing you good and you're recovering well!

Another mixed run for me, overall good though!
    I desperately needed a run tonight after a crappy stressful day, but had to keep in mind that my ankle has only just started feeling good. A decision had to be made, my main shoes and an easy road run, or my trail shoes and dirt+hills. I know with a dodgy ankle I should stay off the trails, but I have a concern that my main shoes are due for replacement and that's part of the cause of my dodgy ankle. Main shoes have done nearly 800km/500miles, but still look pretty good.
    Decided to risk the trail, although I did strap the ankle with some rock tape first. All up just over 8km with about 840ft of elevation in just over an hour. Most of the run felt good, a few twinges here and there on some of the uphills, but the downhills and most of the flat it felt good. Mentally I needed another 10k or more to clear my head properly, physically.. the twinges were becoming more often so I pulled the pin.
    Good run, minor niggles, looks like I don't have to write my main shoes off just yet.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Trail run on Tuesday - it had been raining so it was damp, but it didn't rain during the run and the trail wasn't slick. It was a really nice run.

Thurday, I had a company tour in the morning, so I didn't get out until the afternoon when it was hot. I did squats on Wednesday, so my legs started out tired and three hours of walking just about did me in. I took the time to drive to my local paved rail trail where it was cooler and flat and did a 40 minute run using Martin Yelling's "3 Step Interval" podcast from iTunes. This is a cadence run, so you run to a beat ranging from 155 to 170. It's lower than my target cadence of 190, but I've noticed that my cadence has dramatically slowed over the last few months, so it was a nice challenge. It was also awesome that the run was broken up into 3 minute segments - I needed the extra motivation.

Since the trees are all leafed out, Endomondo isn't doing a good job of recording distance, but I suspect my Thursday run had a PR in it. I'll never really know, but it was a great feeling.

I think my schedule going forward will be:
    - Tuesday, Trail
    - Thursday, Cadence (either Yelling or my run music)
    - Weekend, Long run
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    BT, glad your run was good and you didn't have any dizzy spells
    Ceci, I would go crazy if I didn't have my trails near by. Some days I wish they were a little flatter lol. I think trail running is a lot better for the body than running on the pavement.
    Robbie, I really hope you get to the bottom of your dizzy spells soon, glad you had a good run mate. I still struggle big time on taking it properly easy unless I am running with someone else.
    Tim, glad your chiro is doing you good and you're recovering well!

Another mixed run for me, overall good though!
    I desperately needed a run tonight after a crappy stressful day, but had to keep in mind that my ankle has only just started feeling good. A decision had to be made, my main shoes and an easy road run, or my trail shoes and dirt+hills. I know with a dodgy ankle I should stay off the trails, but I have a concern that my main shoes are due for replacement and that's part of the cause of my dodgy ankle. Main shoes have done nearly 800km/500miles, but still look pretty good.
    Decided to risk the trail, although I did strap the ankle with some rock tape first. All up just over 8km with about 840ft of elevation in just over an hour. Most of the run felt good, a few twinges here and there on some of the uphills, but the downhills and most of the flat it felt good. Mentally I needed another 10k or more to clear my head properly, physically.. the twinges were becoming more often so I pulled the pin.
    Good run, minor niggles, looks like I don't have to write my main shoes off just yet.

You should move to New Zealand.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Had a busy week. Ran on Tuesday and was supposed to run on Thursday but I was going to be out all day so changed it to Wednesday. 8km tempo run, couldn't understand why my legs were so tired and heavy, ran 4km the day before but that shouldn't have had that affect. Then I remembered that the last km of my run was up a steep hill. I have only run up it 4 times before as it is so tough and makes me wheeze! So my 8km tempo run turned into a 7km slow run, even the tempo section was slower than my easy runs! Yesterday was a 3km run which turned into 4km sprint intervals, I had an audience which was a bit disconcerting as I am the only person who ever uses the school track for running, there are 2 football pitches marked out over the top of the track and they were setting up for football training as I was finishing off. What was even more disconcerting was the car parked next to the track that kept moving around and turning round but always coming back and parking at the track, especially after one of my workmates had to report someone to the police for following her in his car and I won't even tell you what he was doing as he drove past!!! Today I am away to Inverness on the train for a day of shopping, eating and drinking with the ladies from my office. Tomorrow is a 14km run so not so much of the drinking for me!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Romy, hope the run went well today.

Those of you trail running are making me feel a bit jealous. Maybe I'll try some trail running after the half on September 6th. That next weekend, September 13th, might be a really good time to try one.

Did my last long run before my half marathon today. It was 12 miles. I didn't walk any of it, but I did take two breaks at the ranger station, both about 5 minutes. Since last Sunday's single break was for 15 minutes, I think that this is an improvement. I took the absolutely shortest route to the ranger station, so that was 5.2 miles. Took a quick break, drank a bit of water, splashed my face with cool water and used the bathroom. Then ran one more mile down the trail, turned around and started back. Hit the ranger station again at 7.2 miles. Ate a gel and drank some water. Splashed my face again and started back. When I hit where I wanted to leave he trail, I started walking. I had covered 12.2 miles. So I walked the half mile or so home. I found it even easier than last week. Still not easy, but I had no impulse to quit today.

I'm still worried about the half marathon itself. In addition to being a mile more, it is also hillier. My route does have some small hills, but it's easier terrain here then where the half marathon is. Well. we'll see. Next week (weekdays) will be the same as the past two weeks, but next Saturday, my taper starts.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since my last check in!! We are currently visiting my parents so it's been nice having running to fall back on for extra calories when everyone wants to eat out. Besides that, I think I'm finally getting a bit faster! The path I've been running has been a lot hillier than I'm used to (250ft elevation on a 5k path vs the 0ft I run at home). I managed to maintain a 12:30 mile for both my short and long runs. The weather has been terribly sticky. This morning was 75 and 95%humidity at 7am, so I'm pleased that I did so well. I can't wait to see how fast I'll be on the flat course at home when we get back!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    btsinmd. Providing you do not go off too fast the adrenaline will take you the last mile. I have every confidence from reading your accounts here that you will do yourself proud. Good luck, but I am sure you do need luck, trust in your training.

Romy, echo the thoughts on the run and just be careful.

likitisplit - shame about endomondo and the potential PR. Based on your comments with a bit of rest and the confidence from believing you PR'd, I suspect your PR will fall soon.

On holiday, did what was supposed to be an easy run, but turned into a steady state run, I got bored, I thought I could not go any slower, but I have done in the past. I think the issue was that I missed having some music to pass the boredom of being out for an hour on my own. Although with the dizzy spells, I ensured that I was on routes where I would be see people very quickly if I did have problems, also ensured I had good cell tower coverage. Got my best distance for an hour but still in the run/ walk interval phase of C210k.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    btsinmd- You will do fine!

Saturday, I rode 26 miles with my girls' bike group. I'm almost able to keep up with their 16+ mph average pace!

I had planned to run a 10k on Saturday, but my co-workers backed out, so I didn't do it. I decided I would run 10k on Sunday. I was at my National Park at 7 am and finished the 10k in just under 70 minutes with 2 walking breaks.

I wanted to share the elevation for this run:

PRNMPElevationReverse_zps491abd29.jpg

When I ride my bike there, I go in the opposite direction, so more uphills.

Work is paying the registration for any of us who want to run a local 5 or 10k on Labor Day. I signed up for the 10k. Wondering how long it will seem weird for me to request a small t-shirt.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Donna, all the best for your half when it comes, you sound like you have prepared well and I am sure you won't have any problems.

I ran 14km on Sunday after drinking way more than I had planned to on Saturday! That said, I was still the soberest one there. I did consider bumping my run till Monday but I felt fine when I got up and after the usual argument between my body and my head for the first few km I had a great run, 8.5 miles in 99 minutes.

Ceci, I know what you mean about the shirt size, when I signed up for my 10k I put down for a medium shirt but I realise now that I am going to need a small, and I bought a couple of t-shirts in my usual size at the weekend and they are too big. I bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes in December and I am starting to find they are getting too big for me although I have only lost 10lb since then. Good job I like shopping!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Had another good visit with the chiro yesterday. My progress has been great, even after a 15-mile run on Sunday (my longest run yet). She said I don't need to come in again this week and one more visit next week should be all I need. Still can't do speedwork or hills but I can do a few pickups in the middle of my easy runs. I'll just keep focusing on building my base and not worry about speed for a while. This week is light due to a 10K I have on Labor Day (not running "all out" on that one) but next week I ramp back up to 43 miles. My coach hasn't given me my training plan past next week but I have a feeling it's going to get much harder!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    LS - Bugger about the potential PR, but it will come again!
    bt - Keep your target pace at the start, and use the crowd and adrenalin to cruise into the finish!
    Andie, sounds like your enjoying your holiday and the hills will have done wonders for your strength.
    robbie, easy changes on a day to day, glad you didn't have any dizzy spells and it was a good run for you!
    Ceci - nice when work pays for your run! nice 10k run too :)
    romy, good work backing up the drinking with a run! I'e done a few times and try to avoid it now!
    tim, nothing wrong with base building! sounds like it's all coming back together for you!

Ok well I've caught the crazies and signed up for a massive Half Marathon this weekend. My first ever Half Marathon and my first mass crowd/competitor type event. City to Surf Perth, last year there was 46000 people or something stupid like that across the entire event. (Full Marathon, HM, 12k Run, 12K walk, 4k run, 4k walk)
    There is something around 850ft of elevation change for the course, and I'm joining some friends on the sub 2hr bus. I'm either gonna rock this totally and pull away from the bus around the 10k mark, hurt but stick with the bus, or total crash and burn, regardless I will finish it though!
    I've never even ran a full 10miles in one go yet. Tonight was my second last run before the HM, about 11k of steady state with a few strides and a strong finish. Nervous and excited about the weekend!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Good to hear things are going well Tim! Countdown will be on for your marathon!

Taeliesyn, I'm sure you will manage your HM fine, you have a good solid running base even if you have never run that far, good luck!

I have just been plodding along following my training plan, no long run this week so I have been doing more weight training. I got a Garmin from my husband for my birthday and ordered some new running clothes with money I got from my parents and brother, not that I am obsessed or anything! My husband also bought me a Saucony ponytail headband and my youngest daughter bought me a Ronhill running hat with LED lights for when I go running at night, so I am all set for winter!