Oh the haters...

Options
I'm posting more to find out how you all deal, but since going to this woe I've had lost of people suggest that maybe I don't. I've had people tell me that it's not healthy and not practical. Not to worry about carbs and be so restrictive sand many other things. Tonight while talking to my friend she tells me that while at her trainers, who apparently also is a nutritionist, that when she asked him he said sure I will lose weight but if I ever stop following the woe I'll just gain it all back. I've tried explaining to her that a doctor told me to do this long before anyone on mfp suggested it, and that I didn't start doing it because I didn't understand what it meant.

I have to say sometimes the negativity gets to me, others I just laugh but tonight it bugged me because I don't want to lose a bunch of weight just to put it back on. I want to be a fit healthy person. I want what is best for my body.

Anyway just wondering what you all think...

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I came to this woe for health, weight as a secondary consideration. After lots of grief over the last couple of years, I now know that I need to restrict carbohydrates for the rest of my life. With carbohydrates I won't be healthy of fit. If you're insulin resistant to any degree, going low on carbs is a no-brainer. Going ketogenic made me healthier than I'd been in years, so I see no reason to stop. Would your friends or trainer recommend "just a little drink" to an alcoholic? Of course not. In my case, what is best for my body is to lose most of the carbohydrate from my diet. Simple. Haters will hate.
  • fireball1970
    fireball1970 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm in a workout support group. Everyone does the 6 mini meals a day & almost 200 carbs a day plan. They just don't understand how eating low carb puts you in control. The feeling of going hours with out craving food!! I don't have to spend 4 hours on Sunday prepping all my meals & snacks for the week. I just try to keep telling myself everyone is different!! One day when I loose this weight I will show them low carb can be healthy!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Actually I had to envision myself dead and in a coffin if I did not stop living on carbs to make LCHF work for me. I did not know if it would work but a little voice kept telling me I had to try it. I really do see how the carb eaters do not see what we now see when I stop to think about it. @fireball1970 everyone is different for sure. :)

Others are watching us and hope we fail so they will feel better perhaps. When we do not then they start asking questions I am finding after eating this way for 14 months now.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @RebeccaMaunder. I hear you! I think pointing out that it is your doctor helping you get healthier with this way of eating is a great response. Appreciating that they are caring enough to be concerned is also nice.

The comment on putting weight back on could be a nasty give up now, we are jealous of your success or just concern based on diet statistics rather than you as a person. Every single person, regardless of their choice in diet is more likely to put weight on when they stop than keep it off for > 5 years. (Cant think of reference now) What is awesome with this WOE is that many people find it a sustainable long term way of life, not a diet fix. Also if you choose to change your diet, you can choose to do something that works for you. You can be one of the minority that reduce weight and keep it off. Totally in your hands, not theirs. Good luck n thanks for sharing.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    ....when she asked him he said sure I will lose weight but if I ever stop following the woe I'll just gain it all back.

I've heard this argument a lot, so not only is it lazy, it's utter bulls***t.

If you lose weight on ANY diet and then go back to the way you were eating previously, you will gain back the weight you've lost. That's why you gained weight in the first place.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Anyway just wondering what you all think...

At the age of 25 (after my mother brushed off a huge achievement of mine as "average" performance), I accepted that I could only look to myself for validation. I'm now 42. Sure, I get told I'm arrogant and standoffish. But fortunately, I don't care what anyone else thinks. ;)

Do what makes sense to you. If you have positive results keep doing what makes sense to you. If you don't have positive results, adapt (discuss a new plan of attack with your physician) and keep moving forward. Do not engage the enemy (the naysayers) until you have the confidence to brush off their remarks.

I was resistant to changing my WOE (I was strictly CICO), but after my physician threw down the gauntlet and challenged me to ketogenic-lacto-paleo for eight weeks, my ego wouldn't permit me to decline the challenge. I had decided by week 2, based on my own results, that this will be my WOE for life.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    ....when she asked him he said sure I will lose weight but if I ever stop following the woe I'll just gain it all back.

If you lose weight on ANY diet and then go back to the way you were eating previously, you will gain back the weight you've lost. That's why you gained weight in the first place.

Exactly! If she doesn't want to understand don't try to convince her. A gym trainer/nutritionist is not a Dr so I wouldn't even concern myself with what that person has to say. Don't feel you even have to defend yourself to anyone you are doing what is best for you and any real friends wouldn't question that or need to prove you wrong. If she's truly concerned for your health send her some of the links from the sticky post or have her come here to see all the success people have had changing their lives and their health, you can't argue with the results.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Q F T

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sometimes it's misunderstanding. People just truly don't get this WOE. You might as well be speaking Swahili to most of them. No clue. For the haters, it's usually a personal insecurity. If you effect real change in your life, then they can't use you as an excuse anymore why they aren't effecting change in their own lives. Your failure is their crutch to continue failing in their own lives. In words I used long before Elsa... Let it go.

You aren't responsible for their mental health, their happiness, or even their understanding. Explain what you're doing (if they ask), and then go on about your business. They'll either get it or they won't. They'll support you or they won't. They'll be encouraged to effect change in their own life or they won't. And there's nothing you can do about any of it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My best strategy is not talking about it. Or I explain that there was a study in PLoS that showed that a ketogenic diet significantly reduced pain, and that I'm playing lab rat to see if I can avoid taking NSAIDS for my chronic hand injuries. It's very politically correct to avoid taking medication. Fortunately, very few people care what I eat. My weight is average, so I can say that all I ever eat is whipped cream and people just nod and say "you're so lucky." Never mind the fact that eating whipped cream is helping.

You're going to do what I did, lose the weight you want to lose, and keep eating basically the same way you did to lose weight, with changes as needed, keeping on eye on the scale, or your measurements, to make sure that you stay at your healthy weight permanently. It isn't magic.
  • redbeard
    redbeard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people ask me how I've been losing weight and unless they want to really know, I just tell them I've cut out breads and pastas entirely.

That fits into their 'mold' and doesn't require any other conversation. If they want more, then I tell them I'm working my doctor on a customized diet plan. I can give them a copy of the meal plan if they want.

That ends the conversation. Except with my wife, who wants me to avoid fats still.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I usually assume people are coming from a place of ignorance when situations like that come up; thankfully it doesn't happen often. Most people will see you getting healthier and don't throw out comments like that. I had one good friend who "gave me a year" on the diet, which sort of hurt, but she had tred a keto diet with severe calorie restriction for a couple of months in the past. Her experience with it was not mine so I let it go.

People are coming from their own experiences and what they have learned. Even if they are very intelligent, they will not know our experiences, nor read and learned the same information. They are ignorant in this one area, even if they don't think they are. ;)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    redbeard wrote: »
    I've had a few people ask me how I've been losing weight and unless they want to really know, I just tell them I've cut out breads and pastas entirely.

That fits into their 'mold' and doesn't require any other conversation. If they want more, then I tell them I'm working my doctor on a customized diet plan. I can give them a copy of the meal plan if they want.

That ends the conversation. Except with my wife, who wants me to avoid fats still.

Haha about your wife. My husband is the one with pre-diabetes, and I'm the one on a low carb diet. His doctor hasn't been a huge help unfortunately, telling him to eat whole grains, which he was already doing, so......duh. (Sorry to vent. I'm annoyed at his doctor).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    redbeard wrote: »

Haha about your wife. My husband is the one with pre-diabetes, and I'm the one on a low carb diet. His doctor hasn't been a huge help unfortunately, telling him to eat whole grains, which he was already doing, so......duh. (Sorry to vent. I'm annoyed at his doctor).

My endocrinologist gave me some weak advice too. it IS annoying.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

It is, unfortunately, standard medical advice - I would be surprised if you found a doctor that offered any different advice. Eat 30-50 carbs per meal, with smaller amounts for at least two snacks. The idea isn't to achieve normal blood sugar - it is to achieve a steady diabetes "normal" blood sugar because nothing traditional medicine has to offer can achieve truly normal blood glucose levels. They figure it is safer to stay steady at a higher rate than to continually peak and trough.

I'm hoping, when I go to see my doctor on Friday, he will see the value in how I'm eating and think about suggesting it to other patients. (Diagnosed just about 2 months ago with an A1C of 7.2. Based on tons of testing (approaching 200 tests during that time), it should be high 4%/low 5%. I've only been above 140 on five of those tests (when I was testing new foods to determine what I can safely eat).
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    it is embarrassing what dietary advice I hear from most doctors treating my diabetes.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    It is, unfortunately, standard medical advice - I would be surprised if you found a doctor that offered any different advice. Eat 30-50 carbs per meal, with smaller amounts for at least two snacks. The idea isn't to achieve normal blood sugar - it is to achieve a steady diabetes "normal" blood sugar because nothing traditional medicine has to offer can achieve truly normal blood glucose levels. They figure it is safer to stay steady at a higher rate than to continually peak and trough.

(...)

I told my doctor I don't want "diabetic normal blood sugar" or "good blood sugar for a diabetic", I want optimal blood sugar, at the level of a healthy non-diabetic person.

She looked at me like I was an alien and then, in a condescending tone, told me that just is not possible. Once diabetic, forever diabetic. And blood sugar would become more difficult to control with time, requiring more medication, that is just "the normal evolution of the disease".

I left decided to do my best to prove my doctor wrong (even if it required doing the exact opposite of what she recommended). One year later she looked at my lab results and told me I was no longer diabetic. She was a bit puzzled and ordered more tests to be done in a few months. Did she ask what I had done or what I was eating? Of course not.

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed at the argument people offer that if you stop eating LC you will just gain the weight back. Isn't the same thing true if you stop eating any type of diet, High Carb low fat included? I think that the idea should be that you need to find what works for you to lose the weight without feeling overly deprived.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Today was my reveal to my father for my weight loss (hadn't seen him since June). I knew to tread carefully as he's quite bull-headed, so I said I had cut grains out entirely and was very low carb. Surprisingly he was totally on board - chuckled and said that carbs are terrible for people, so what am I eating, lots of protein? I said not tons or anything, I'm eating veggies, protein, dairy (hesitated to say fat) and he cut in "DAIRY? You're going to need to cut that out, all the fat will kill you". I stopped there, small victories, right? I'll wait until I get my bloodwork again next September to mention I'm high fat unless he flat out asks HAHA
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've had the "if you stop you gain weight" thrown at me, but no one can tell me a good way to lose weight that you can stop doing. I usually just tell people I'm on a restricted food plan for IBD, and that ends the discussion.