Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 I know it's possible and I know others do it. I just really don't want to, even if it's the best option :P Nap isn't viable for me post run, I'm in the office by 6:30

@ftrobbie Sounds like a reasonable plan, care to hook a fella up? I'm going for these stupid distances and winging it.

Good work on getting yourself out there mate!

Ok, so I had some concrete last night, and then got out at about 4:45 this morning with the pup. Feck still hot and humid, average temp from the watch is reading 24.4C Still it's done. I'll be in the shower shortly and then off to work.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful input gents! I still balk at the notion of a doctor visit (I am one, and we are terrible patients), but I did "consult" with the lead trainer at my gym and the old hippie runners that own the sports store :) Honestly, based on position, I think it's hamstring tendonitis. I am going to lay off the ice and start using heat in the evening (I run in the morning) to promote healing. Also, I purchased a compression sleeve for my knee, a small roller/massager, and new shoes. I'm not sure I needed the new shoes...my other ones are at about 120 miles, but maybe I damaged them on that bridge race. Also, getting new shoes is AWESOME and basically unavoidable when venturing into the sports store!! LOL

Anyway, I went out for my scheduled 5 mile run this a.m. with new shoes and compression sleeve. IT WAS MUCH BETTER!!!! Still a hint of an ache at about mile 3.5, but nothing like before...thank goodness!! I'm going to try running on a trail for my long run this weekend and see how that goes. I reviewed my mileage and, surprisingly, it's been pretty stable week-to-week for the last 3 months. I rested for 10 days after my half, so I think that helped. Good input on the frequency of my racing...I'm going to try to calm down a bit, although that one might be hard...I do love those medals!!

@moyer566 - You run at 4am? In the winter? In WISCONSIN?? I can't even with that kind of cold...no wonder parts of your body go numb!!!! I grew up in the Midwest and remember those bone-chilling temps...and sweet baby Jesus the terrible wind!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So week two of my plan and already work is getting in the way. That said I've got a deliverable due with the client tomorrow so that should free up a little time when it's in. I was supposed to be doing a cooper test tonight, but after 12 hours sitting at my desk I wasn't feeling it, so did tommorrows planned session instead; 9km easy pace.

The hotel 'm at isn't the most interesting, essentially 9km around and around an exhibiton centre, so a bit dull. Still, it put a smile on my face after a pretty tough day.
  • LLduds
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal - what kind of work do you do?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm a Programme Management Consultant, so end up living out of a suitcase much of the time.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn will send a pm tonight, can share excel workbook with all sort of guff in it. It's got some of Fitzgeralds 80/20 plan in it too. I effectively converted an Ultra plan into the 80/20 format. Been up since 0400 working, missed the planned 6 miler this morning, will attempt to get out tonight to make up for it.
  • LLduds
    Options
    Three miles this morning and no pain :) I took it easy speed-wise and I think that helped. Rest day tomorrow, race day on Saturday (another 10K).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie i don't know about it being the best option but it's really the only viable option for me on weekdays.
    @LLduds glad you are feeling better.
    well, we haven't had much of a winter. It was 30 today, and I've only had one sub30, snowy run which was awesome. This weekend is supposed to be 40's. I'm a little disappointed. I thought I was going to have great treks, feeling like star trek early in the morning. just the one :(
    b463f9c47c46abb99f5adeb260a31d587b58f6e190904844e2aea2ddcd15f66e.jpg

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    well, we haven't had much of a winter. It was 30 today, and I've only had one sub30, snowy run which was awesome. This weekend is supposed to be 40's. I'm a little disappointed. I thought I was going to have great treks, feeling like star trek early in the morning. just the one :(
    That's the view I had for the beginning of my 10k last month!

I didn't even run yesterday! :(

I did manage 6 miles on the elliptical in running mode with variable resistance. That's almost like hills, right? :wink:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    That's the view I had for the beginning of my 10k last month!

I didn't even run yesterday! :(

I did manage 6 miles on the elliptical in running mode with variable resistance. That's almost like hills, right? :wink:

totally :wink:
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm pretty early in my training for 10K, and a fairly new runner (I've been running regularly for about 5 months, and pretty much never ran before that... for more than 10 seconds or so). I'm super proud of my run today. It was my coldest outdoor run (35°F), and the first time I fell while running... or let's just say I CRASHED. I tore a hole in one glove, and also scratched up one knee (thankfully leaving my brand new workout pants intact). I sat for a minute, let the stars fade, "walked it off", and finished my run. I still ended up with a 10:41 average min/mile pace. :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    hi
    I've only drawn blood a few times. welcome to the club :)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm pretty early in my training for 10K, and a fairly new runner (I've been running regularly for about 5 months, and pretty much never ran before that... for more than 10 seconds or so). I'm super proud of my run today. It was my coldest outdoor run (35°F), and the first time I fell while running... or let's just say I CRASHED. I tore a hole in one glove, and also scratched up one knee (thankfully leaving my brand new workout pants intact). I sat for a minute, let the stars fade, "walked it off", and finished my run. I still ended up with a 10:41 average min/mile pace. :smiley:

First of all welcome, hopefully you haven't hurt yourself. Sounds like you got a great session going. Hopefully you won't be put off the eclectic updates that go on here. It's a bunch of people from around the world rarely doing 10k's but we've all tended to graduate from C25k. Share, ask questions and enjoy yourself. :)

Got some cycling done today, commuting to (13 miles) and from (19 miles) work, great workouts and two punctures, one there and one back. Roadside repairs getting quicker and quicker. Hopefully your workouts are less frustrating than mine today.

Have fun (hoping to parkrun tomorrow, first time in 6 months)

• LLduds
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    First of all welcome, hopefully you haven't hurt yourself. Sounds like you got a great session going. Hopefully you won't be put off the eclectic updates that go on here. It's a bunch of people from around the world rarely doing 10k's but we've all tended to graduate from C25k. Share, ask questions and enjoy yourself. :)

Well, I've a 10K tomorrow! I'm sure you'll all be joining me in spirit :)

Welcome @faithan84 !!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Well, I've a 10K tomorrow! I'm sure you'll all be joining me in spirit :)

Welcome @faithan84 !!!

Best wishes at least someone keeps the thread on track :p
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Well parkrun done this morning, really odd results. Slightly smaller field than usual, one of my slowest times 26:31 but my second best finish position 78, first finishers time was 19:07 compared to 16:30ish normally. The wind in the back straight was pretty horrific but at least it was dry, the threatened rain never materialised. Will see how the normalised results come through next week.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Welcome @faithan84 as Robbie said we're a pretty eclectic bunch with our running, but we update and cheer each other on as much as we can. Hope the knee's feeling ok!

@LLduds Hope your 10k goes well!

@ftrobbie well done at parkrun mate! We had the same sort of weather minus the horrid wind.

parkrun this morning went well, I was shooting for a sub 20min time, but it didn't happen. A bunch of valid viable excuses are there, but they don't matter. Still did a 20:17 and I'm totally stoked with that. Especially as sub 20 looks even more likely now.
    The a 25ish km trail run this afternoon, great company and a great day, albeit a little chilly. Not horrendously though, even with the rain. I do love some of the trails I've got access too.
  • LLduds
    Options
    I PR'd my 10K today!!!! At the 5K check, my time was 29:13; my finish time was 1:00:36! Yay!! My knee was pretty quiet the whole time...not sure if it's the compression sleeve or the new shoes, but I'm loving it!!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    well done @LLduds !! Glad the knee seems to be feeling ok too.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn nice set of runs, you look really set to nail sub20 on the parkrun, what a result. Hopefully some better weather next week and if you are up for it, you could nail it. What a Christmas present that would be!!

@llduds another step closer, it won't be long before you nail that sub 60 mins 10k. Glad the knee is holding up, swap out one or the other (support/ shoes) and see if it holds up as well. As MeanderingMammal mentioned shoes can cause all sorts of issues, I do throw my cushioned shoes out a while but have been trying to wean myself off of them so that a more natural running style ensues. However I know when I get tired I revert back to heal striking.

Well today, had a ride out on the bike which was pleasant followed by 2 hours of rugby coaching and I got back and relaxed, only for 30 mins. However 30mins turned to 60 and then to 90 and I looked outside and it was wet and windy. I was inside, warm and dry. I decided I didn't want to go out. But 10 minutes later I remember the Blerch and realised that if I felt this way about an hour run, how was I ever going to get out and do the 69miler. So I put a running top over some thermals and went out and got wet. I feel so virtuous now and 7 miles in 70 mins on a mix of road and trails. Happy boy. Have fun