Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Update British athletics have ranked yesterdays parkrun as my best parkrun despite being 2 mins slower than my "fastest " time. Feeling a lot more positive than just after the run yesterday. Hoping to be back where I grew up in 2 weeks time and do the parkrun there. Hopefully that will banish the miserable memories of cross country runs when I was at school. The parkrun course uses much of the cross country runs we used to do. And I hated them with a passion. Amazing what 35 years does for you!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Great news on your parkrun result and good work getting out in cruddy conditions! Good luck returning to the stomping grounds of your youth in a few weeks :)

Definitely no sub 20 parkrun for the next few weeks for me. Next week I'm taking my puppy to parkrun, the following I'm RD'ing as the Ultra is the next day. Maybe if I recover fast enough after the ultra, I've got a chance on Christmas Day, or on the 27th. I'll see what happens. I know it's there for the taking now, it's just a matter of lining things up.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome @faithan84 !

Well done, @ftrobbie, @taeliesyn and @LLduds ! Robbie, the half marathon I ran was in my home town. People who knew me in high school couldn't believe I was running. (I never did anything remotely athletic growing up!)

Friday, I ran 3.28 miles with a co-worker. It was awful! (Not really, but she has gone from a 12+ minute mile average, to fast enough that I can't keep up with her for that distance! My help and encouragement to her has really paid off!)

Saturday, got in a quick 2 mile run (18:19) before going on a 25 mile bike ride.

Sunday, another almost 25 miles on the bike. Oh, and all these were outside! The weather has been amazing for December!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I did 13.17 on Saturday. I was scheduled for 11 but it was feeling good. Last mile was rough
    Today I did 3.1. I had a global 5k with runkeeper (virtual). Longest three miles ever
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering... when do the psychological barriers break (or when did they for you?)? I KNOW that I can run for 40 minutes, but every time I start out, my brain says, "what are you doing?", "You can't do this", " just take a break ", "you're not a runner", "you can stop now", "why are you running", etc. My body wants to respond to this nonsense. If I run through it (which is never that difficult), my brain changes to "okay we've got this, no problem". Occasionally, 75% of the way through, the doubt creeps in again. If I ignore it I'm fine, but I wish it wasn't there! I know I can't expect a warrior attitude every time I lace up my sneakers, but it seems my brain and body could communicate better.

Any tips? Is this just part of running or is it something you grow out of?
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @Just_Ceci well done on your half and for surprising the people you grew up with! :)

@moyer566 nice work extending the run, just don't veer off the program too often.

@faithan84 I couldn't tell you when my barrier broke, but it definitely does. At a guess it was after my first half marathon, so it does become easier with time, but there will always be the odd day here and there where you need to battle to lace up, or to get your session done.

I got about 15k in yesterday, between my normal run and the puppy run. Hammy was still a little tight, but I risked it and I seem to have been lucky. I'll probably stay away from speed work tonight though, just to play it safe.
  • faithan84
    Options
    @taeliesyn Wow, after your first half marathon?!? That's at least a year down the road for me. Good to know!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @faithan84 it may have been sooner for me, I honestly can't remember. I know I definitely haven't had any "I'm not a runner" thoughts after my first HM. But I also never entered/raced any 5 or 10k races. I did parkrun regularly though, which I am sure helped.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i still get it, so i listen to music to distract myself. In my blog, I often talk about what is going thru my head.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me it's generally after about 20 minutes.

Every run, every flaming run...
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    For me it's the warm up and the first mile so around 15 minutes or so and I am with MM it is every single run. I know I can run a marathon and can race HMs. Even parkruns the first lap is full of why am I doing this, this isn't fun but at the end I have generally enjoyed it but 10 mins of fun and 15 mins of arggh, is it worth it? You just have to keep ignoring the brain, let the body have control!! Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @faithan84 That's The Blerch talking. For some of us, it never goes away. Just keep pushing through, and the voices in your head will become more faint. :smiley:

I started my half training plan yesterday with a 5k run. Felt good!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And true to form, 16km, 95 minutes this evening. The first 15 minutes were purgatory, then it all went very nicely from then on.

Down the South Bank of the Thames this evening.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    rest day again. feel very tired.
    I guess it's a recovery week.
    how does one not gain weight during this time. I don't know if it's water weight or too much food but I've gained 8lbs. calorie wise I've been eating at or below maintenance-except that cheesecake last night. that I'm sure put me over :wink:
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, MM nice going guys
    moyer take it easy, you and LLDuds have been stretching the boundaries quite relentlessly, sometimes you need to take it easy. Ref the weight gain, you have to eat huge amounts to gain 8lbs in a short time. Look at water retention due to salt, alcohol, processed food, muscle repair or hormonal changes or simply time of day and/or different scales. Over the last week my weight has varied by around 5lbs due to water retention from different impacts. Your tolerance to variation maybe different to mine, but with over 2 years of data I know that 5lbs is on the top side of normal variation for me.

Two runs, 5.5miles last night and nearly 7 tonight. Both slow affairs, knees and calves feel tired but not stressed. So probably a good sign from the 40 mile weeks over the summer, but I know they are out of condition. Hour plus runs are ok, once I get out the door and get into a rhythm.

Have fun with your running/ training

• mbaker566
    Options
    I haven't changed anything in my eating. So maybe hormones and muscle stuff. I don't usually very much more than 3 pounds. So that is why there is a little panic on my part.
    Lol, I guess chalk it up to weight loss is not linear. those sound like nice runs. And no need pain is even better.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    moyer take it easy, you and LLDuds have been stretching the boundaries quite relentlessly, sometimes you need to take it easy.

Thank you for validating my sloth-like behavior this week :) If anyone needs me, I'll be in front of my TV, eating alllllllll the foooood!!!!!!!

• faithan84
    Options
    @Just_Ceci Thanks for sharing that link! That is so me!!!

Thank you everyone for sharing! It's good to know that it's not just insecurity. :blush:

I've had two good runs this week. An easy run with sprints on Monday on the treadmill and a tempo run yesterday outside. I find it much easier to keep a specific pace on the treadmill, but I'm able to run a faster pace overall outside (though more variable in pace). When it comes to sprints, intervals, and tempo runs, is one better than the other (treadmill vs. outside running)? I'd prefer to run outside, but I'm new to these type of runs, and I'm a bit shy to the cold and sometimes needing to run at night forces me indoors.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    well i took it sort of easy. I run 3.12miles and it sucked. my upper quads/hip area just feel tired. I think i need more pigeon poses thru the day.
    added two steep hills instead of my regular route
    run tomorrow and walking around chicago saturday.
    not sure what next week will look like. I think there were build ups and fast workouts on the schedule
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i went with another rest day as chicago may or may not happen