Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday- 4.01 miles in 40:20. It was good!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I ran yesterday- 4.01 miles in 40:20. It was good!

nice :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci Thanks for sharing that link! That is so me!!!

Thank you everyone for sharing! It's good to know that it's not just insecurity. :blush:

I've had two good runs this week. An easy run with sprints on Monday on the treadmill and a tempo run yesterday outside. I find it much easier to keep a specific pace on the treadmill, but I'm able to run a faster pace overall outside (though more variable in pace). When it comes to sprints, intervals, and tempo runs, is one better than the other (treadmill vs. outside running)? I'd prefer to run outside, but I'm new to these type of runs, and I'm a bit shy to the cold and sometimes needing to run at night forces me indoors.

Dreadmills can be great tools. You may find you're running the same pace on the treadmill, most fitness mills aren't exactly super precisely calibrated.
    I think outside is better for nearly all running. Speed work outside, you learn how to drop gears and surge as you go from your jog to pace, treadmills you need to wait for them to speed up.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ran my first half marathon trail run today...it was TOUGH!!! Notice I said "ran" and not "raced"? Yeah, I gave up on any PRs after I saw the terrain - rocks and mud! The uneven ground actually made my knee sore again by mile 4. I walked A LOT on this one (although that seemed to be the norm for the other halfers I encountered). Oh yeah, there were also alligators. Here's a pic of one, plus a couple pics of my dog Dudley modeling the bling (I can't even with the selfies right now).
    8fxmtof528qi.jpeg
  • mbaker566
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Super cool @LLduds

Ran 10.2 yesterday I was supposed to run another the with the SD but she didn't wake up in time for us to go before we had to return her to her other family. Grumble. Teenagers.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I ran with a co-worker on Friday afternoon. By "with", I mean I watched her run off and leave me behind. It was a good run anyway- 3.5 miles in around 35 minutes.

Saturday morning I met the same co-worker at my national park. This time, I ran off and left her, finishing my 5k run in around 31 minutes. I followed the run with a 15 mile bike ride.

Not breaking any speed records, but at least I'm running! Week 1 of 16 half plan complete!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work @LLduds! Love your dog modelling the bling :) Trail anything is never PB time, unless it's a course PB that you're chasing. Sounds like your knee issue might be weakness or strength imbalance. Could be an idea to see a physio if you can.

@moyer566 Bugger about the SD not sticking to the plan. Hope your 10.2 was good.

@Just_Ceci Glad you had a good run, even if your co-worker dropped you, nice to hear you got 'revenge' on Saturday lol. Keep your running going, keep to you plan.

I'm still ticking along, 87k week last week (I could have pushed it out into the 90's but just couldn't be bothered lol), hoping to hit 100k this week with the help of the 47/48k trail race on Sunday.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn - I hear you. I broke down and made an appointment with a physician tomorrow. Here in Texas, we can't see a physio/physical therapist unless an MD refers us. Once I get a prescription, I can see what the physio says. I am so annoyed with this knee!

I'm also annoyed with Runkeeper. It is buggy and drains the battery on my cell phone. What brand/model of GPS running/fitness watch would you all recommend?
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Depends on what you want the watch to do. If it's just the ultra basic record where I run and how fast etc, most of them are fine. Some now have built in HRM's too. If you want more features, or longer life you need to look at some of the more costly ones.

This page can be pretty overwhelming, but it's probably the best out there too.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

Personally I'm happy with my Garmin Fenix 2, does most of the stuff I want pretty well. It is a pricier watch though, or was the newer model Fenix 3 has since been released.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I want to like runkeeper but it keeps freezing at the end and restarting. I may have had my 2nd place personal best but we'll never know...
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I have had the best luck with RunDouble. Most of my cycling buddies use Strava, which works for cycling, but I'm having issues with it while running. I usually run 2 apps, just in case. RunDouble and Strava for running, MapMyRide and Strava for cycling. I have had a gps watch on my Christmas list for 3 years. :|
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My run yesterday was okay, 3 miles in the gym. I had to stop to adjust my sock at one point, but finished in under 30 minutes.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @moyer566 , @Just_Ceci and @LLduds , nice running ladies. Love the bling on the dog and the not so nice race supporter.

Haven't been out much as had man flu, too much time out in the rain either running or reffing and then having the U9s squad Christmas party. Short 4mile run on Thursday night (4 miles short?, how your expectations change from C25k) and a 5k parkrun on Saturday. A better run than last week still slow but my second best finish despite being my 10th slowest time. Away with work for the next few days so not expecting to do much running, hopefully the body will recover and allow me a good go at a parkrun on Saturday.

@taeliesyn hope you have a good trail run on Sunday :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    thanks @ftrobbie
    ran 6.5 it's funny because i ran the same route as tuesday and the distance is off by .08mi. but the time was much better. it didn't feel great but I did manage to get 3 sub-11:00min miles at the end.

I have an 8k in february. and usually run more than that (10k) during a regular week 2x. but i looked at the course and my brain keeps telling me its really far. like really far. silly brain
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Another gym run yesterday, 3 miles in just under 29 minutes, (even though I brought the wrong shoes and was wearing my cycling socks instead of my running socks!) Also did my shoulder PT exercises.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Had a run out on the Isle of Wight but realised I had left the sports watch in Nottingham. So used the works cell phone with the Strava app and if you look at the Strava feed you can see 2 sections of non record. Only picked up because I was checking where I was. It halved the run distance, I miss the watch. Got a parkrun done this morning near my old school. The 5k run was pleasant enough and never felt as bad as the 2 mile cross country runs we did on largely the same route. Oh how perspectives change. Good to natter to an old school friend, that's twice in 30 years, both this year.

Hope your runs go well, and moyer don't let the mind win, it's a little under an hour, just focus on putting in the miles before February and you will breeze it. And have fun everyone
  • mbaker566
    Options
    13.2 hard but nice. Ran part of the 8k route. Must sit down now.whew
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    13.2 hard but nice. Ran part of the 8k route. Must sit down now.whew

<3
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Friday, I ran 5 miles in 52:41, despite not having the right socks! (At least I had the right shoes this time.) Saturday, a nice 5k run in my neighborhood and hours of walking around shopping. Today, I rode 13.5 miles then ran a mile. Yesterday's run finishes week 2 of my half plan. Feeling pretty good so far!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Sounds like you are really enjoying it :)