stages 2 & 4

Options

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Julie- Those push presses are so hard! I couldn't believe it, I know it's different but it was still very humbling to see my squat weight go down like that. I did 4x5 at 60lbs, I already had that on there and just figured I would get as much out of it doing more sets with lower reps. I'll try to work up to 10.

I feel like I am not quite getting all of these lunges; so many slight variations. Maybe as I get used to them I will notice what they should be working, or I will get the form down and not be so clumsy. A lot of my attention is spent trying not to fall over. In stage one I found the prone jack knife got a lot more difficult when I figured out how to do it without feeling like a fool, and could really focus on the movement.

I miss my back squats, I really felt comfortable with stage one so it is sort of a shock to the system to change now, probably good for the program to force me to change!
    Wow! I totally agree...I miss stage 1. Lol! I like regular squats! But, you know what? I was able to do all 10 reps of the FSPPs this time! With 65lbs...10lb plates on the Olympic bar. It felt so good to achieve it!!
    I am up to 40 sec on my planks and the full 60 sec on the cobra. I'll add some weight to the crunches next time...they're not doing much. Not surer like the hip flexion thing either, but I'll stick with it,

The different lunge variations baffled me, and truthfully still do a little. The ones in B are supposed to have your foot flat on the bench...that was nearly impossible for me on the step. I tried the padded benches used for lifting and was able to keep that form better this time. It seems to really isolate that front bent leg to bear the load completely. I need to go recheck that other forward reach lunge one...didn't feel quite right this time, but I didn't bring my book.

And I too am a bit balance challenged! I feel like I'm going to fall over on that bent over thing in A, and during most of those lunges too! But, I'm sure there is a reason for the series and progression...so I'll follow the plan and see where it leads. It'll be short at least! :)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Ok! I'm in stage 4 now and loving it!!! I did my FSPPs again yesterday, for A1 and killed it! Still just the 45 OLY bar, but I did 3 sets at 8 reps full PPs! Woohoo! I couldn't even complete 6 reps on the second set in stage 2 before!! So that's progress!!

I'm so happy to be in stage 4!!! I like it so much better than 3!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not much going on in this one but I'm going to do a little post anyways. Going to officially start Stage 2 tonight after work. We'll see how it goes once I have to do all of workout A and in mostly correct order as long as I can access the equipment I will need.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I just started Stage 2 on Friday (workout A) and Sunday (workout B). Lots of lunges! My hip abductors and glutes are seriously sore today.

I've modified some of the exercises already. I'm still light on deadlifts and have short arms so I'm doing regular DLs and my balance is crap so, while I can manage some rather laughable split squats, the one-point dumbbell rows are impossible. I've substituted regular cable rows instead. Gotta say, those Cuban snatches are killer on my boobs.

So far, I love this stage!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I've only done workout A as I then had my two day rest since my schedule is a bit weird. Workout B will be tomorrow but I'm still feeling it in my shoulders from the first one (plus shoulder shrugs and attempts at assisted chin-up machine).

Before starting the stage, when I tried the deadlift, I ended up dropping the weights below 135 and still felt kind of weird not letting it touch the ground. I use a set of plates to stack it a little higher for reach purposes but they barely fit as the step from the aerobics class is longish. Will be interesting to see how B goes tomorrow since I practiced some of them but skipped all the crunches when I was in between stages.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Workout B is done and as I suspected, not a fan of any of the crunches. The flexion is just weird and I don't know if I'm doing it right. I need to figure out a better bench or step for the bulgarian as what I've tried so far doesn't feel like the right height. But the rest seems pretty good. Aside from feeling weird dragging a step from the classroom all the way over to the deadlift spot most of the lifts I can handle (don't like prone snatch thing either). Two down in stage 2 and just 6 more to go.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Finished 3/4 of my stage 2 workouts today. I hate bulgarian split squats and their counterpart lunges. Weights on these haven't really increased much, but I did an extra 5 reps at 80 lbs just to see how it would go. It left me pretty tired for the remainder of the workout.

The only issue I really have with workout B is how long it takes! Thankfully I only have one more go of it before switching to Stage 3 though. I like that this section is only 3 weeks long as I don't love the moves in it, but at the same time I feel like I didn't have enough time to actually master any of them and start increasing my weights. I'm glad it will come back in Stage 4 so I can hopefully FSPP more weight. I'd love to get the oly bar out while doing those.

I actually eliminated the hip flexion completely because I didn't think it was doing much. I added in bench presses at the end of my workout instead. Whoops... ;)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I will do day 4 tonight. I don't mind the lunges but the prone cuban snatch just is awkward with how you have to sit on the things and I never know if I have the right angle for it. Both days take long for me but I do extra lifts, so that probably is a factor. Though some of the time usage comes from wandering around the gym to get the equipment needed. Tonight I'll get to go back and forth whenever the step is needed.

Good idea on the hip flexion. Seemed like even just 10 lb hip thrust did more than that slightly awkward move. Maybe I will do glute bridges instead. I bench once a week as part of my accessories already. Tonight the accessories are shrugs and using the assisted chin-up machine.

I see from now on the stages are around 8 workouts or so. I need to write them all down so my coworker can borrow my book. Plus need to decide on stage 6 (the optional one). I know most of the lifts and can google the rest, just won't have access during the workouts but that's okay. She wants to really focus on losing weight and asked for my help.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of doing a hip thrust with this workout. I may steal that for next time. The only issue with time for me is when I'm on third shift I usually wake up around 5 or 6 and make it to the gym around 7:30-7:45 and the gym closes at 9:30 so I feel rushed. That's a personal problem though. It just seems like an hour to an hour 15 when I've eliminated the flexions and don't do the HIIT is really long. Maybe I'm doing too many warmups though.

The cuban snatches are really awkward. I'm thankful we have a women's only are where there are at most 3 other people there so when I struggle or slide off the bench few people are watching. I'm glad the workouts are only 8 weeks from here on out because if I don't like something it will pass quickly.

You can get the book for less than $10 on amazon. I would send your co-worker the link so she can mark up the book as she goes. That way you get to keep it as well since you're only 2 stages in. Just my opinion though - my sister asked to borrow mine and I sent her the amazon link. She was a bit dismayed but then she saw the price and was just fine with it. She's actually happier having her own copy now. I know i put sticky notes and highlighted sections just because that's what I do.

I'm actually excited about Stage 6 as I really do want to do a pull-up, it's one of my goals this year, but I might end up moving it to the end after stage 7 or modifying it a bit with other exercises. Idk yet... I actually decided that I would take this one stage at a time so I haven't even read stage 3 and on yet. I'll do that this weekend though since I only have to lifting sessions left in stage 2. Good luck with your lifting this coming week!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Ah... My gym is 24 hours so it doesn't matter when or how long in takes, which is good. I've never slid off the bench but the ones we have aren't really comfortable sitting facing the actual bench. They adjust easy enough but I've never even seen anyone else sit that direction on them so yeah, glad I go at like 11 pm where it's just a few people and not the many that go during the day. And we will be doing them again as stages 2/3 are basically repeated for 4/5.

I'm not too worried about the book. I never mark in books so haven't in this one and the only use I've had for it is the workouts.The rest was a little interesting but nothing that impression changing for me and I have pretty much ignored the nutrition suggestions. Long as I have what to do and can figure out how to do them, I'm pretty much good to go. Plus, I'll probably lend with the caveat that it's meant to give her an option and if she doesn't want to do the routine, that's fine and if she does then she will probably get her own copy. Plus, I can probably find a copy from the library for a week or two if I need to double-check workouts for stage 3 or so. She has over 100 lbs to lose with the first 100 being the big focus for the time being as it's quite a challenge.

Stage 6 doesn't look that bad. However, at this point I know it would take more than 10 workouts for me to ever do a chin-up at my weight and upper body strength. I might do it, not making any decisions yet, but may not. Also, my idea of focusing on strength differs than the book's because I'd much rather get my deadlift to 225 than do a pull-up or chin-up. Though, I am trying to do negatives using the assisted chin-up machine (I just start near top as it doesn't get my head above the bars, then slowly let myself go down) as part of my accessories once a week. But still, my max deadlift was 200 on stronglifts and around summer I'd like to try 225 just cause that's 2 of the 45 plates on each side. Getting my numbers up on that and squat are more strength focused for me and more interesting than push-ups and chin-ups.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    2 days left. I'll post start to finish stats after the last B day as there is a little increase even though it was just 8 sessions. Verdict so far is pretty much not going to change though. Like anything lat pull down related. Don't mind some of the lunges and like them more than the ones from stage 1 oddly enough though not sure on the split squat as I don't know if the step is high enough but the benches are too high for me. Don't like db cuban snatch, one point row is just eh but I wanna make it all sets without falling and really part of my issue with row is a never feel them working even if it is. Meh to all crunches and I gave up on the flexion thing but the reverse crunch isn't so bad. Maybe the other types that come up will be better. I do look forward to stage 3 though cause bench, bar rows and some different variations of things.

Stage 2 wasn't too bad but a few things I won't look forward to in Stage 4, for sure, though the different rep range might be nice.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I went on the NROLFW Facebook site and the recommendation now is to swap out crunches for planks and jack knifes - but keeping the butt down on the jack knifes as you roll the swiss ball, and side planks for those flexion exercises. Anyhow - I just finished Stage4A(2) and also had to stop with the OHP due to shoulder issue. I am hoping to get back to it later down the line :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Interesting, though we already go planks during the stage so I probably wouldn't switch something out for that. The jack knife wasn't too bad in stage 1. Then again, I'm not a strict program follower so I'm okay with just adding a weight plate to crunch and doing glute bridges instead of flexion. I don't actually time my rests as prescribed either.

Last day of Stage 2 is tonight. Will post in here and the check-in spot afterwards.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Finished stage 2, yay! Kind of glad to be changing up already even after just 8 workouts. Some of the lifts are fun and I'd consider doing in the future (aside from stage 4 since they repeat then) and others I probably won't do once done with the program. Did some increasing even in the short time though, so things are going well. Weight is also trending down and that's a plus.

Day A
    FS/PP 55 --> 60 not much but a tiny bit
    Step 20 --> 25
    db 1 pt row 20 --> 25, fell still
    static lunge 30 --> 40
    push up 2 riser step, sets of 5 barely --> sets of 5 but little better
    plank 50, 30, 30 --> 45, 45 will be still trying for 60 next stage
    horiz wood chop 12.5 --> 15

Day B
    box dead 95 --> 115
    bulg split 12.5 --> 22.5
    under lat pull 60 --> 70
    reverse lunge 10 --> 20
    db prone cs 10 --> 5, came to my senses then didn't increase
    sb crunch 10 --> 25
    reverse crunch stayed the same
    changed to glute bridge 10 --> 25
    prone cobra 60 --> 70, 90

Not bad. Next up = Stage 3! And, got to practice body matrix stuff in grit strength class today, jumping and such. So that should be interesting.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I have started Stage 4. It's nice to get back to some of the lifts like front squat and such. Though, I ended up sore after the first day A. It wasn't until after my run the next day but my butt ended up sore, lol. I'm blaming the lunges.

Tonight will be day B. Back to deadlift from a box and such. Prone cobra should be easier since it's less motion than YTWL.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    One more day, B4, then I will post my results from Stage 4.

:sunglasses:
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 2 next week, I'm really looking forward to it! Love reading about other experiences, thank you all for sharing!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @gettinthere - good luck.

I finished Stage 4 last night. Some good increases in weights and some where it's just not going to change much after only 8 workouts.

Stage 4 results

Workout A
    fs/pp: 60 -- 65 Hard to increase on push press part
    step up: 25 -- 27.5 Slight but not much
    db 1pt row: 25 -- 27.5 Same as above
    static lunge: 50 -- 60 Okay, limited by what I can clean and get over my head
    push up: managed on floor and used dumbbells throughout but not always 8 reps
    plank: didn't do them throughout
    cable wood chop: 40 (pended which one used) -- same, didn't always do them

Workout B
    box deadlift: 115 -- 135 Yay. Wasn't sure but managed it fine.
    bulg split squat: 25 -- 27.5 Challenging with the dumbbell
    under lat pull: 80 -- 80 Started with it by accident and it stayed heavy
    reverse lunge: 25 -- 25 Kept same as elbow gets cranky at this point
    db prone snatch: 7.5 -- 10 Glad to be done with these.

Now to make my way through Stage 5. Getting closer to the end and looking forward to moving on from here.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Having read through all the "original" stage 2 thread, I was a bit disappointed to see that this one has sort of ground to a halt!

So, even if I end up talking to myself, I shall post on here throughout my stage 2 journey!

So far, I've done one each of A & B. I usually do SL5x5 first, then do my NR workout, but having seen some of the comments, particularly about the length of time for these workouts, I have made provision in my diary to do some of my SL as a separate session.

So....workout A. I DID do SL first, then went to the FSPP - quite happy with my form on this one, but was only using a 25kg barbell so hoping to increase the weight next time. Step ups were fine - although I reduced the weight a little to concentrate on form as I think I may have been "cheating" a little in stage 1.

Dumbell 1pt row - with 7kg handweights - was ok - must remember to focus on my spot. reminds me of yoga moves I did MANY years ago, so I think I will enjoy this one. Static lunges - ouch. Used 9kg handweights. Will be pleased if I can improve on this.

Press ups, planks, woodchops - all ok....my core is my "best" bit, so I probably need to up the ante a bit to get the best out of it.

Then 15 mins of intervals on the rowing machine - quite enjoyed this little foray back into cardio!

didn't ache too much after, but did feel it a little in my quads.

Workout B - didn't do SL first as I was conscious of the time.

Deadlift from box - hmm, need to concentrate on this one - very different to my previous deadlifts! Used 30kg barbell first set and 35kg second set. Want to improve somewhat in both weight and form.

BSS - Oh. My. Word. Used a 12kg kettlebell. Quite enjoyed this, and will be practising at home.

Underhand lat pull downs - 33kg first set, 40kgs second set. These seemed a bit too easy compared with the wide lat pull downs I have been doing.

Rev lunge from box - 6kg hand weights - I think these were ok. Perhaps I need to go a bit further back for each movement.

Cuban snatch - was worried about this after reading all the comments, but did ok, with 4kg weights. I tore rotator cuff muscles 18 months ago after going over the handlebars of my bike, so was a bit wary of this exercise, but all the rehab has worked and I didn't find it nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Will up this one next time.

Crunches, etc, cobra - all ok. Again, abs and yoga type stuff is alright with me. Did 2 x sets of the hanna thingies, need to check the book for diagrams again as I'm not sure I was doing them right.

15 mins intervals on the rowing machine again.

I expected to ache more this morning, and tbh am a bit disappointed that I don't - as it is always a sign to me that I have worked hard! I will revisit the book at lunchtime to check diagrams and see if I am actually doing things right.

SL and A2 tomorrow.....
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm listening to ya kimiuzzell. I have one more 2b left and I am done! I can't wait to finish this stage.
    I did NROLFW 2 years ago (but quite through stage 3). I am now comparing my before and after lifts, some gains, some not.
    I agree with you I love love love the BSS! I never thought I would like something in the form of lunge!