belly fat

Does any one else have a problem with belly fat, as I'm getting older i seem to put it all on my belly (no where else) it doesn't seem to matter how much i exersize i just can't seem to shift it, any ideas???

Replies

• starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    From what I have come to realize at age nearly 59 is that muscle mass goes bye bye. I am realizing I have to lift as much as I can to almost breaking to gain muscle. That is what the body builders do. I am going to try this in the next year.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Yes!!!!

Basically I am very lean everywhere but my tummy, (well, I have curves in my hips and a bust to match, but my arms and legs are slim.). But I can't budge the belly fat, and when I gain it goes straight to my abs.
  • luckyblueeye
    luckyblueeye Posts: 20 Member
    Jelly belly here too! At 41 this is my problem area...but I WILL fix it this year :) My 4th baby is 20 months old so no more excuses!
  • ChickenPioPio
    ChickenPioPio Posts: 6 Member
    I have never had trouble with belly fat until I just turned 30 and BAM! It seemed like overnight I formed a huge belly! I generally store my extra weight in my thighs and behind but now I've been asked if I'm pregnant (I'm not). Also seeking advice on this (and lending WileySmiley some solidarity!)
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    I am 58kg but still have that tummy fat. It seemed that once you reach menopause it just grows. My BMI is 21.5 so I wonder why I have this extra fat. I am lifting weights that I have to strain to use doing cardio and rope slams. I also watch my diet and calories but for the amount of exercise I do I can,t go below around 1500 calories. I am currently doing an online course in exercise physiology and hoping to get some useful info from that as well as a book on sports nutrition that I am still reading. Will keep you posted if I get a light bulb moment from all this info.
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    Work more on Core building.. Also Cardio will help also.. Try not to have to much sodium in your diet.. As we get older the harder it is for us to lose weight in that area.. Best thing we can do is to make our body stronger.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    same for me. it's the first place i gain and the last place i lose. i feel like it's especially bad after two kids in the past 3 years. i'm just going to keep working though and hope that it shrinks!
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Lift heavy *kitten*. Weights will help you.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Does any one else have a problem with belly fat, as I'm getting older i seem to put it all on my belly (no where else) it doesn't seem to matter how much i exersize i just can't seem to shift it, any ideas???

I'm not sure what kind of exercise you were doing, but I found workouts that utilize core (push-ups, plank, lifting, etc.) help a lot. I used to do lots of cardio and pure core routines but the result was not as obvious as now. Many posts I read from ladies who lift heavy weight said they don't do core as often and the results are pretty amazing. Maybe it's time for some changes..?

If anyone's interested, here's one of the posts I was talking about...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34872374#Comment_34872374
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Work more on Core building.. Also Cardio will help also.. Try not to have to much sodium in your diet.. As we get older the harder it is for us to lose weight in that area.. Best thing we can do is to make our body stronger.

OMG! Yes! My body has become very sensitive to sodium as I've gotten older. When I cook at home, I don't normally eat processed foods. But if I go out for a meal...*POOF*....hello jelly belly. :p
  • blessedtrinichic
    blessedtrinichic Posts: 2 Member
    Finally I've got that jelly belly. I swear once I eat something it goes straight there!! Plan to work on my core from now on and do more walking and cardio
  • targetme
    targetme Posts: 5 Member
    Belly fat is my nightmare! My BMI is 20.6 and I don't have extra fat enywhere else except my tummy. It all goes straight to my stomach!! It's just wobbly peace of jelly. :(
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Me too :( ... However, unlike most of the posts above, where the belly issue came later in life, even when I was young and extremely skinny, I still had round belly. I have been exercising for all of my adult life (I will be 45 in few weeks), remaining very muscular with belly. Around 1.5 year ago I did T25 and for the first time in my life I could do sit ups! T25 has HIIT abs workouts that are like: jump, jump, jump , abs, abs, abs, again... kind of hitt. Nothing before that worked on me and I did many programs. That gave me such a lift to keep working on my abs and I am starting to see a 6-pack forming at this age!? The knowledge that it can be done is such a motivation. It is not impossible to get rid of it!!! I still have a bit to go.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    It's a nightmare. I swear. I can lose it then if I have a glass of wine.. whoops theres a poof. I'm so tired of it. I work out like crazy.. it's all about eating right I think. Fewer carbs blah blah.. I still will never have a washboard.. but If I can wear a bikini (in a good way) then I'm ok with that. 2 years ago. I somehow managed to keep a flat belly. Trying to get back again. It's a constant struggle as I get older
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    PS. In Lieu of a tummy tuck... I have no answer.. ugh
  • hh353
    hh353 Posts: 37 Member
    I think its an age/ horomone thing - the belly fat - can be estrogen dominance. I use progesterone cream and it really helps w/ belly fat. There is a lot of information / quiz's online to see if you are estrogen dominant. I highly suggest checking them out. It has helped me tremendously!!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    That is always a struggle for me as well but its getting better. I'll have to try that estrogen dominant quiz. Thanks for the info hh353.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Hi, I had 3 c sections that left my belly sagging. It was so bad it got caught in pants zippers. I had dried apple wrinkles all over my stretched out tummy. Yes, 3 beautifully healthy sons, all grown up. I always felt bad about my thighs, belly, upper arms, even back fat was beginning to show. So 2014, in desperation, I used diet1234 drops. I followed the diet and read a lot and used web tools to determine my ideal body weight and fat percentage. I am 5'0" 113 lbs, 20% body fat, and 93 lbs lean muscle. I have never been this trim and frankly can't believe it! My DH lost his belly fat, my sons and hairstylist all had success. That's my 2 cents of what worked for me, and hope that helps.
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Hi Smilesback :)
    Had two c-sections too, but could never ever stick to a diet plan for more than 3 days...
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    jellybird wrote: »
    Lift heavy *kitten*. Weights will help you.

Yes-that is absolutely crucial.