Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Hi! My name is Heather and I'm going to start OMAD on Monday, January 4. I have been on MFP for 1228 days. I lost 75 lbs in the first year by calorie counting, dabbled with IF and Intermittent fasting then have been maintaining, slowly gaining about 20 lbs since. I exercise daily, that is my passion. It sounds crazy but I am very fit at 5'5 and but 230 lbs.

I love to run and bike and weight lift. I have recently gotten into tabata and I love that too. I love to set a goal and push myself and feel proud and accomplished when I complete that goal, but I just can't seem to control my eating. I am an emotional eater and it frustrates me that I can push myself for a 2 hour bike ride but I can't resist one stupid cookie that turns into 6!! So I'm going to use OMAD to teach myself and my brain that food is fuel and nothing else. It's not a coping mechanism, it's not a celebration or a reward, it is to fuel my body.

I would like to lose at least 40 lbs by June 1 and then I am going to start training for a half marathon. I'm not running in an actual race, but I want to run the distance from my husband work to home Labor Day weekend, and that is 13 miles. I need to lose weight so that the running that I love does not hurt my body so much. I only do short distances now of 3-4 miles. I have dealt with running injuries and I know that is because I am carrying all this weight around.

After Labor Day I will continue with weight loss to hope to finish the year at my goal weight of 150 lbs. My range would be 150-160, I think. I am very muscular under all this excess fat and even to look at me now you would never know that I am 230 lbs because of my build. I wear a size 15/16 jeans and a womens XL shirt. I don't look like a 230 lb woman so my goal is to get to a comfortable size 9/10 jeans and have legs lean and muscular enough to wear shorts so I'm guessing my goal weight for now.

So that is me and my plan. I open to friend requests if anyone wants to add me.

Monday, January 4 it begins!!

• vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, Heather! You'll do great, I'm very sure of it. Happy New Year and Happy New You!!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    hmvanwink wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Heather and I'm going to start OMAD on Monday, January 4. I have been on MFP for 1228 days. I lost 75 lbs in the first year by calorie counting, dabbled with IF and Intermittent fasting then have been maintaining, slowly gaining about 20 lbs since. I exercise daily, that is my passion. It sounds crazy but I am very fit at 5'5 and but 230 lbs.

I love to run and bike and weight lift. I have recently gotten into tabata and I love that too. I love to set a goal and push myself and feel proud and accomplished when I complete that goal, but I just can't seem to control my eating. I am an emotional eater and it frustrates me that I can push myself for a 2 hour bike ride but I can't resist one stupid cookie that turns into 6!! So I'm going to use OMAD to teach myself and my brain that food is fuel and nothing else. It's not a coping mechanism, it's not a celebration or a reward, it is to fuel my body.

I would like to lose at least 40 lbs by June 1 and then I am going to start training for a half marathon. I'm not running in an actual race, but I want to run the distance from my husband work to home Labor Day weekend, and that is 13 miles. I need to lose weight so that the running that I love does not hurt my body so much. I only do short distances now of 3-4 miles. I have dealt with running injuries and I know that is because I am carrying all this weight around.

After Labor Day I will continue with weight loss to hope to finish the year at my goal weight of 150 lbs. My range would be 150-160, I think. I am very muscular under all this excess fat and even to look at me now you would never know that I am 230 lbs because of my build. I wear a size 15/16 jeans and a womens XL shirt. I don't look like a 230 lb woman so my goal is to get to a comfortable size 9/10 jeans and have legs lean and muscular enough to wear shorts so I'm guessing my goal weight for now.

So that is me and my plan. I open to friend requests if anyone wants to add me.

Monday, January 4 it begins!!

Hi, Heather...

I, too, love running and have dealt with my share of injuries. Gotta watch it with high levels of exercise and weight-loss...they tend not to go together. But as someone who is very athletically inclined, you do well to accept yourself and your body-type and even utilize your talents. I will friend you.

Regards,

-Joe
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Good luck Heather! I used to like to run but find I keep injuring myself. One of my big goals is to get to a weight that I can do some more running at without hurting myself. Look forwards to hearing more!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Heather! I am not fast enough to call what I do running. Even jogging is a bit of a stretch -- I do more of a determined shuffle. But I enjoy it and don't care how slow I am. I also ride my bike on weekends (likewise slowly). One of the concerns I had when starting first Intermittent Fasting and then OMAD was whether I would be able to ride or jog in the morning, since my eating window is in the evening. I waited until I was used to IF, then I adjusted pretty quickly to adding in morning exercise. Joe does have some great advice about the interaction between weight loss and exercise, however.
  • GiddyUp330
    GiddyUp330 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I am trying to decide if OMAD would be good for me. I definitely like to delay eating; as it seems like once I start I just continue even if I'm not hungry.
    At 143# today; would like to be in the 128-133 range. I love to exercise, I do some triathlons (just sprint/olympic and would like to do a 1/2IM some day) so do a lot of two a day workouts and work full time. Do any of you here do two a days and still able to do the OMAD program? I don't do two a days every day, probably just 3 days/week then singles three to four days a week. Rest day just depending how I feel sometimes that is couple times a week; sometimes not for two weeks. When I was doing crossfit I was able to maintain my ideal weight, but I always felt sore or injured (even after two years) so I have given that up and just doing regular strength training couple times a week (I count that as a workout). And I have a horrible sweet tooth. I know that is a big component.

• Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Hi, Giddy....you will find a great deal of good info in the OMAD threads. Like you, I had already recognized that I preferred to delay eating; I've never liked to eat first thing in the morning. What is more, when I do eat breakfast at a traditional hour, I find it sets me up for a day of snacking and overeating -- quite the opposite of what one hears from the "several small meals a day" crowd. I started out with an eight-hour eating window, then moved to a four-hour eating window, and that eventually evolved to OMAD. I lost 20 pounds over four months in that time frame -- not setting any records there, but it was steady and mostly painless and enjoyable. And, at 56 years old, I'm perfectly happy with a more or less painless pound a week. I'm now contemplating moving into a maintenance combination of OMAD during the work week, with 19-5 or so on the weekends. Should you decide to give OMAD a try and to frequent this group's posts, you will find a community that is supportive and not judgmental -- they understand that everyone is different. If that weren't the case, we would all be eating three squares or worse, the dreaded six small meals! I will defer to others your question about Triathlon preparation workouts: I've only done either riding or biking on any given day. But I can tell you that OMAD has not impaired my enjoyment of either of those activities.
  • arguablysamson
    GiddyUp330 wrote: »
    Hello, I am trying to decide if OMAD would be good for me. I definitely like to delay eating; as it seems like once I start I just continue even if I'm not hungry.
    At 143# today; would like to be in the 128-133 range. I love to exercise, I do some triathlons (just sprint/olympic and would like to do a 1/2IM some day) so do a lot of two a day workouts and work full time. Do any of you here do two a days and still able to do the OMAD program? I don't do two a days every day, probably just 3 days/week then singles three to four days a week. Rest day just depending how I feel sometimes that is couple times a week; sometimes not for two weeks. When I was doing crossfit I was able to maintain my ideal weight, but I always felt sore or injured (even after two years) so I have given that up and just doing regular strength training couple times a week (I count that as a workout). And I have a horrible sweet tooth. I know that is a big component.

Hi, Giddy.

You and a number of others have been coming out of the woodwork lately as very active individuals who are considering working with OMAD. That's great!

Some time this new year, I'm going to be doing a series of videos on eating habits and workout routines I use.

I see you have little weight to lose, so I'd recommend an earlier or midday meal with the meal consisting of 60/40 protein and carb, followed by a post-workout very high-carb recovery shake (between 250 and 500 calories). Try to keep calories just over maintenance level to account for long, intense exercise. And on days without exercising, go about 200 under maintenance--this way, you'll recover fast enough, but not be taking in too many cals for loss.

Granted, you will lose slower this way, but you'll be able to maintain your activity levels without seeing suffering performance.

Welcome!
  • arijacks80
    arijacks80 Posts: 13 Member
    Welcome to our newest members! I love eating only one true "meal" a day! I have already lost 3lbs since I started last Sat so not even a full week! It works for me and I hope it works for you all too! Happy New Year!
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, @GiddyUp330!!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Warm welcome to all the newest members!!! =)
  • eliotwaugh125
    eliotwaugh125 Posts: 3 Member
    ...your name or preferred username: Tiffany
    ...your weight: 141.8
    ...your height: 5 ft 5
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing: Stress eating, bored eating, emotional eating...
    ...your goal weight range: 125
    ...the time of your OMAD: approximately 6:00 PM
    ...and your OMAD start date: Today! 1/4/2016.

Please feel free to add me!
  • arguablysamson
    We got a pretty cool crew here! :-)

Wonderful to have you aboard!

• twicor
    twicor Posts: 7 Member
    Welcome to the new folks. Looking forward to chatting with you.
  • blambo61
    Howdy new folks! Look forwards to hearing from you.
  • vrojapu
    Welcome!!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    U can call me Linds
    My weight as off the 1st was 171.4 lbs
    5'2"
    Pass struggles are eating out if boredom, stress induced eating, and an awful sweet tooth that rears it ugly head every time I look at food.
    OMAD will take place between 4pm and 8pm.
    I would like to be around 130-135. I always seem to hit a plateau around 150-145, then I give up and get right back to the bad habits again.
    OMAD would work great for me cause I already fast for most of the day til I get home and it is constant eating and snacking til I go to bed, not to mention I am hugely addicted to pop and sugar loaded drinks.
    So tonight my meal was salsa chicken, rice, refried beans and some mini peanut butter cups.
    Tomorrow I will start my own thread and own up to changing my eating habits.
    There will be more to follow...
    Thank you and have a great night everyone!

Linds
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, Linds. Get ready for the big changes!
  • blambo61
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    U can call me Linds
    My weight as off the 1st was 171.4 lbs
    5'2"
    Pass struggles are eating out if boredom, stress induced eating, and an awful sweet tooth that rears it ugly head every time I look at food.
    OMAD will take place between 4pm and 8pm.
    I would like to be around 130-135. I always seem to hit a plateau around 150-145, then I give up and get right back to the bad habits again.
    OMAD would work great for me cause I already fast for most of the day til I get home and it is constant eating and snacking til I go to bed, not to mention I am hugely addicted to pop and sugar loaded drinks.
    So tonight my meal was salsa chicken, rice, refried beans and some mini peanut butter cups.
    Tomorrow I will start my own thread and own up to changing my eating habits.
    There will be more to follow...
    Thank you and have a great night everyone!

Linds

Awesome!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Welcome Linds! you got this! =)