What is your favorite healthy breakfast to start the day?

Options
alp_19
alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
Breakfast is a super important part of being healthy but it's so easy to eat a sugary cereal quickly or have a big brunch on weekends. Figured we can share some ideas (for different kinds of mornings - quick ones, weekend brunch, post-workout, etc.)

Here's my contribution for a light, protein-packed breakfast:
5 egg whites (can add a yolk or two but don't add too many if you want to keep it healthy)
1/4 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese
Your favorite salsa

Without egg yolks, it comes out to about 185 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 26 grams of protein. You can add fruit to the side, veggies into the eggs, extra cheese, egg yolks, or toast if you want to increase the calories. The protein will keep you more full than the calories suggest. I usually have this on days when I do strength training and know I can have a decent lunch/snacks.

Share your breakfast favorites! Can't wait to get some new ideas!

Replies

• alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love both of these! I ended up having some cherry greek yogurt and a cup of strawberries for breakfast because that sounded really good. And I love poached eggs but I've never made one myself. May need to try that this week!
  • skincaregirl66
    skincaregirl66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Today i did 3/4 of a cup of greek yogurt and mixed in a small packet of Justins Honey Almond butter i read about that idea on here it was great and held me well.
  • MLW1956
    MLW1956 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today I had 1 egg western omlete - 120 cals. The suggestions above sound very good.
  • TAMoore54
    TAMoore54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i like the suggestion about making like an egg, cheese, salsa in a wrap ahead. I would love to eat an egg in the morning but am in too much of a rush to get to work and also I am not hungry first thing.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TAMoore54 wrote: »
    i like the suggestion about making like an egg, cheese, salsa in a wrap ahead. I would love to eat an egg in the morning but am in too much of a rush to get to work and also I am not hungry first thing.

Can you make it at work?

I do mine at work. By the time I've made a coffee and put my lunch in the fridge, I've blasted my eggs and popped them on the bagel.
  • stranger2310
    stranger2310 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love having porridge with fruit or a full-English with no fat (calorie spray not oil, fat removed from bacon, poached egg not fried, and grilled mushrooms and tomatoes). I will always take the time for breakfast to have something warm. In summer I might have a grapefruit with scrambled egg, a wholewheat bagel, and a slice of smoked salmon with some dill. Healthy doesn't have to be something small, or a bowl of fruit, if you don't want to.

In a rush I'll have a bowl of Weetabix (very rare, but occasionally necessary), or peanut butter and banana on toast with some on-the-go fruit. If I have more time I'll have porridge, or make a breakfast panini. If I can laze about I'll do an English breakfast or have scrambled eggs with ricotta cheese and spinach, or do something like baked porridge or quinoa porridge.

I love the blog Cookie and Kate, and she makes 'Healthy Freezer Breakfast Burritos' that I'm trying to die.
    ldwldw2 wrote: »
    I just tried crock pot steel cut oatmeal. I made the one with blueberries, bananas and almond milk on Sunday and have been heating it up before work. Delicious, warm and easy and healthy carbs early in the morning. First post by the way.
    C&K also has a new recipe for steel-cut oats with some great topping recommendations, so I've just bought my first batch of oats online - they don't sell them in stores in the UK, but I can't wait to try them! She says that they will keep for a week in the fridge, so that sounds great for something just to pop in the microwave in the morning if I'm busy.

ps. Welcome to MFP!
  • ailyou
    ailyou Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    100 calorie weight watchers bread..with natural peanut butter...organic jam... or a laughing cow... plus coffee..my go to breakfast
  • delgph
    delgph Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fiber one barn cereals(120 calories) + unsweetened Almond milk (30 calories)
    I don't find time at home for breakfast, so I keep the cereals and almond milk at work.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I made pumpkin pie flavored oatmeal the other day and it was super good and kept me fill for several hours. Which is not easy to do as I have a massive appetite!
  • ameeburkett
    ameeburkett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    3 egg whites scrambled or fried 65g of cottage cheeze and 6 triscuits with a glass of v8 with tobasco in it and 6 green olives.