What is your favorite healthy breakfast to start the day?

Options

Replies

• farhinajannat
    farhinajannat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    dlkeel wrote: »
    I love my Mason Jar Oats, just grab and go, also have a piece of fruit. Here are two of my favorites.

Cinnamon Bun Mason Jar Oats
    Servings2

Ingredients
    1/2 cup of old fashion oats

1 (5.3oz) Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt

1 scoop of Six Star Pro Nutrition Fit French Vanilla Lean Whey Protein

1/3 cup of fat free milk

1 tsp of Vanilla extract

2 tsp Truvia Natural sweetener brown sugar blend

1 tsp Truvia sweetener

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cooking Instructions
    Mix all ingredients together and pour into 2 jelly size jars and store overnight in frig.

Brownie Mint Oats
    Servings2

Ingredients
    1/2 cup old fashion oats, uncooked

1/3 cup of milk, fat free

5.3 oz Dannon Greek Yogurt, light and fit vanilla

2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 tsp of vanilla extract

1/8 tsp of mint extract

1 scoop of Six Star Elite Series Whey Isolate, Vanilla flavor

1/2 oz of pecans, chopped

Cooking Instructions

Mix all ingredients together and pour into 2 jelly size jars and store overnight in frig.

can u say, what is the importance of jars in overnight oats recipe? what if i store it in a bowl or box?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @farhinajannat
    A jar has a lid so it makes it nice for the fridge... particularly if you're making up a weeks worth. Some make up 5-7 days worth of a variety for the family to grab in the a.m and a jar works great on the go. I imagine you'll get more responses... lol

Oh plus Mason jars are just "cool' which is a good reason in my book. lol I love that size for so many things! :D

Not sure how a box would work? :#Maybe a shoe box? A child's size shoe box... hmm... now that I think of it... that might also work for those mason jar salads that are so popular!??

a bowl might work if it was covered in the fridge over night unless you were layering it... I don't know why not. :smiley: I prefer the jar myself...

Edited: storing the empty jars in a box is a great idea... perhaps that's what you meant & I misread? ;)
  • spiritpowrd
    spiritpowrd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Today I had Trader Joes Steel Cut Oatmeal
  • farhinajannat
    farhinajannat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I talked about plastic tiffin boxes. We use them in our country usually to keep the foods in the refrigerator.
    @farhinajannat
    A jar has a lid so it makes it nice for the fridge... particularly if you're making up a weeks worth. Some make up 5-7 days worth of a variety for the family to grab in the a.m and a jar works great on the go. I imagine you'll get more responses... lol

Oh plus Mason jars are just "cool' which is a good reason in my book. lol I love that size for so many things! :D

Not sure how a box would work? :#Maybe a shoe box? A child's size shoe box... hmm... now that I think of it... that might also work for those mason jar salads that are so popular!??

a bowl might work if it was covered in the fridge over night unless you were layering it... I don't know why not. :smiley: I prefer the jar myself...

Edited: storing the empty jars in a box is a great idea... perhaps that's what you meant & I misread? ;)

• tamraking
    tamraking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mainstay is always a 3-egg white/1-egg yolk omelette prepared with 1/2 serving of mozzarella cheese (part-skim) and loaded with fresh spinach finely chopped into it. It gets me started with plenty of protein as I kick off the day! I portion the cheese to hit 200 calories for the meal.
  • cyndikay2003
    cyndikay2003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    loved the ideas posted. I have been doing 2 eggs and 2 turkey bacon with fruit. The egg whites sound like a good idea. I had never heard of the oats in Greek yogurt, I may try that when we go camping.
  • batmanatgrind
    batmanatgrind Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make spaghetti squash egg muffins which I make on sunday and then freeze them so I unfreeze them through out the week. Spaghetti squash has no taste and just makes the muffin more moist and filling. I throw in some spinach, sometimes mushrooms, onion and green peppers. I also eat this with a half a plain white bagel. It's actually really delicious.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I make spaghetti squash egg muffins which I make on Sunday and then freeze them so I unfreeze them through out the week. Spaghetti squash has no taste and just makes the muffin more moist and filling. I throw in some spinach, sometimes mushrooms, onion and green peppers. I also eat this with a half a plain white bagel. It's actually really delicious.

@batmanatgrind
    Would love to hear more! I love the idea of adding Spaghetti squash to them. Are you using the basic egg muffin recipe & simple changing up the add-ins?

Sounds delish :smiley:
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and a coffee
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    On workout days I like an egg on multi-grain toast with a small side of fruit. On just work days, I like homemade granola bars (Hello Healthy Banana Bread Granola Bar) with a small side of fruit.
  • theharvestkitchen
    theharvestkitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Egg Scramble with Pan Roasted Tomatoes and Fresh Basil http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/egg-scramble/
    or if I'm in a hurry during the weekdays heading to work - this smoothie http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/strawberry-hemp-smoothie/ (it's really good & loaded with antioxidants)
  • lynjeff
    lynjeff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to the board but thought I would share. My new breakfast is 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese and pineapple tidbits. Seems to be filling enough to get me out the door. Its also a great snack!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    lynjeff wrote: »
    I am new to the board but thought I would share. My new breakfast is 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese and pineapple tidbits. Seems to be filling enough to get me out the door. Its also a great snack!

love the pineapple in cottage cheese!! <3
  • HuskyGent
    HuskyGent Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm blending on weekdays:
    1 banana
    50g blueberries
    10g goji berries
    300ml skimmed milk
    1 tsp raw cocoa powder
    1 tsp stevia

Keeps me going till lunch.

Saturday 2 poached eggs, 2 slice toast.

Sunday is full English day - doesn't exactly fall into the healthy category!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Currently, a container of flavored low fat greek yogurt (Chobani) and some granola with raisins. It seems to keep me going in the morning
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Banana+youghurt+celery+black coffee.
  • melodharmas
    melodharmas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I generally rotate between 3 breakfasts; 1) 1/4 Avocado on sprouted sourdough bread and 2 slices of Applegate Farms Sunday uncured bacon (sometimes I add a fried egg or pumpkin seeds on the avocado toast as well).
    2) McCann's oatmeal with banana slices and a little fat free half and half. 3) 1 whole egg and 1 or 2 egg whites scrambled with veggies and a 1/8 cup of low fat cheese.
  • melodharmas
    melodharmas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast any time of the day though! :)
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been rotating between: green smoothies (loaded with hemp hearts, chia seeds, ground flax seed, vega protein powder, bee pollen), oatmeal (topped with almonds, raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, and berries), Greek yogurt (topped with almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts), or an egg with rye bread and fresh fruit or avocado.
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    black coffee and light youghurt