Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, Nancy!!
  • liahkim0330
    liahkim0330 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone! My name is Liah and I started OMAD two days ago. I'm currently around 200lbs, 5'6". I'm trying to get under 150lbs.

I lost 70 lbs about 5 years ago and slowly gained it all back so I am back up to my highest weight again.

I usually don't feel hungry until after work around 3pm so I thought this diet might be worth a try. My OMAD is between 4:30 and 6:30pm.

Without sounding desperate, I'm really hoping to see some results that will encourage me to go at least a month so my habits will stick for the long run.

My weight loss success last time was due to the awesome support (and daily banter) I had from a MFP group. I'm hoping to share our journey together!

On that note, I think I ate too much my only meal yesterday. It was binge-like eating. ☹ I guess this is where a little self control needs to come in!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi everyone! My name is Liah and I started OMAD two days ago. I'm currently around 200lbs, 5'6". I'm trying to get under 150lbs.

I lost 70 lbs about 5 years ago and slowly gained it all back so I am back up to my highest weight again.

I usually don't feel hungry until after work around 3pm so I thought this diet might be worth a try. My OMAD is between 4:30 and 6:30pm.

Without sounding desperate, I'm really hoping to see some results that will encourage me to go at least a month so my habits will stick for the long run.

My weight loss success last time was due to the awesome support (and daily banter) I had from a MFP group. I'm hoping to share our journey together!

On that note, I think I ate too much my only meal yesterday. It was binge-like eating. ☹ I guess this is where a little self control needs to come in!

Hi, Liah...

Welcome!

Just a couple of things:

1) If you can stick with it a month, you'll know you can do it (two weeks for some): You can decide to see results and stick with it if only you are serious about your goal--and managing it from now and onward. This isn't "diet" anything, but a lifestyle change. Once you know you can keep doing it and can see yourself doing it perpetually, you'll never struggle with weight again.

2) Follow the one-plate rule to keep the one meal manageable or else use MFP to track your macros: Either way works, but you'll probably notice that even one big meal is giving less calories than little ones. And most still find that they maintain on one big meal since it tends to be hard to gain that way.

Don't worry. Lots of support here.

-Joe
  • liahkim0330
    Thanks, Joe. I think I did better today...already anticipating first weekly weigh in! Will keep y'all posted!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Nancy and Liah. I hope you'll enjoy OMAD as much as I do -- and yes, I mean enjoy.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Welcome all,

What is exciting about this "diet" is that I can really see it as a lifestyle that I can do for a long time (like the rest of my life). When I reach goal weight, I plan on opening up the eating window larger but I still plan on fasting the 1st part of the day since after I get going I have a tendency to graze that can easily get out of control calorie-wise. I've felt better than I have for years doing this and look forwards to walking / exercise and have energy into the evenings which I've not had for a long time until I started doing this. I think I'm missing out on the sugar highs and insulin lows and it has made me feel MUCH better! I do feel like I now know how to control my weight at will (slowly but I can control it)!
  • liahkim0330
    Thanks for the welcomes! I was just curious if anyone wanted to share their progress so far on their OMAD. I have no idea what to expect!
  • blambo61
    Your 1st week you will loose a couple of lbs of water and food weight. You will not be carrying as much food in you at a time. The fat loss will depend on the calorie deficit you maintain. I think Joe lost like 3.7lbs/week or so. He had large cal deficits. I'm a little slower because my cal deficits are not as big but I averaged close to 2lbs a week for about 16 weeks. Then the holidays came and I about came even out of that and am just getting going again. I'm not sure what it will be for you but wouldn't be suprised at 1-2lbs a week after the 1st couple of weeks with the 1st couple of weeks possibly being more. Just my opinion.
  • arguablysamson
    Correct.

You get out of it essentially what you put into it. I averaged 2.4 to 3.6 lbs per week, but there were some less than that, of course. It was stability I was after, and there is nothing wrong with looking at your life and goals and ascertaining how hard and what direction you are going to take tackling your health, Liah. You can step right up and completely own your body and yourself, though. All you have to do is make it a priority.
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, Liah! OMAD is easily the most fun way to control intake that I've experienced so far, and I hope you have the same experience.
  • nmidwood13
    nmidwood13 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. So should I find out how many calories I'm suppose to have in order to lose weight? I'm afraid I will put too many calories on my plate.
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    nmidwood13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. So should I find out how many calories I'm suppose to have in order to lose weight? I'm afraid I will put too many calories on my plate.

I still count my calories on my plate. I like to stay within a certain range to make sure I am at a deficit. I know that others do it as well. MFP has a section where you can put in some information and it will calculate approximately how many calories you should stay under in order to lose weight. I believe when I first registered to use the site it asked me for my age, activities level and weight to do the calculation.
  • blambo61
    nmidwood13 wrote: »

I think it is a good idea especially just starting this. You might not need to so much after awhile when you can judge it based on experience IMO.
  • misscarla89
    misscarla89 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone I'm Carla and im currently at 355.6lbs, and believe it or not that's not the heaviest I've ever been. I have lost 11lbs as of today which keeps fluctuating up and down so I figure I need to do something drastic to stop this nasty cycle. I have been on MFP calorie counting for the last 6 months. I stand at 5ft4inches do my BMi says if I don't change today, im going to die so my motivation is to be around for my three year old to grow up, and for me to meet my grandchildren. I am a binge eater, but I go through periods of not eating anything at all. The reason I have chosen start OMAD is because I'm really not hungry during the day but when I put my son to bed is when the cravings come. I survive on coffee with one tsp of sugar and some low calorie whitener during the day (I hope I can continue that?) and then my OMAD window is 6pm-10pm. I have no hard and fast weigh range I'd like to be, I just want to be healthy. I officially started OMAD yesterday.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Carla! OMAD may be perfect for you, since you are not hungry during the day. It may take a while to adjust to reducing the number of calories at night, if you're accustomed to snacking through the evening.

Opinions differ on the subject of coffee with cream. I know, because I researched multiple intermittent fasting sites trying to get a definitive answer. There was none. Some said coffee with cream was just fine; others said zero calories was the rule. I can drink black coffee, but I don't like it. Finally I reasoned that if enjoying coffee as I like it gave me something to look forward to in the morning and that enabled me to fast during the day, it was worth the 50-75 calories. Most sites suggested real cream rather than a substitute, though, so I switched to that. (And it tastes better!) I've lost 25 pounds since August, even with the holiday season from Halloween to New Years, still enjoying my two cups of coffee with cream in the morning. Good luck!
  • arguablysamson
    Hi everyone I'm Carla and im currently at 355.6lbs, and believe it or not that's not the heaviest I've ever been. I have lost 11lbs as of today which keeps fluctuating up and down so I figure I need to do something drastic to stop this nasty cycle. I have been on MFP calorie counting for the last 6 months. I stand at 5ft4inches do my BMi says if I don't change today, im going to die so my motivation is to be around for my three year old to grow up, and for me to meet my grandchildren. I am a binge eater, but I go through periods of not eating anything at all. The reason I have chosen start OMAD is because I'm really not hungry during the day but when I put my son to bed is when the cravings come. I survive on coffee with one tsp of sugar and some low calorie whitener during the day (I hope I can continue that?) and then my OMAD window is 6pm-10pm. I have no hard and fast weigh range I'd like to be, I just want to be healthy. I officially started OMAD yesterday.

You sound like an ideal candidate for OMAD (those who can go for times without eating usually are). First, follow my plan as I've laid it out, only making changes out of necessity. Later on, you can relax and sort of "lifestyle design" your way around some preferences. Second, just remember the no-snacking/one-meal rule. That is what will ultimately be your breakthrough--or undoing should you choose to ignore it. It's the snacking that releases insulin and gets us fatter. Third, expect and accept some hunger. It's a normal part of the life cycle. You have to become comfortable a little hungry. That's how the predators hunt and how we should be productive some of the time. But it won't be like that forever. There is a difference between hunger and starving, as I've said before, and in time, the new you will have a different set-point for both. It's hard up front, but gets easier. And there will come a time when you will work your way into better eating and a more active lifestyle demanding higher calories than when you are losing. You are literally saving your life here. So glad to have you--and the more you have to lose, the bigger your success story will be!
  • liahkim0330
    First week update. Down about 4 lbs and amazed at ease of eating OMAD! Have some headaches and cold feet but getting easier everyday. Stomach seems to be in shrinking mode because my meals are getting smaller and better balanced. On to week 2! How did my fellow beginners do?
  • arguablysamson
    First week update. Down about 4 lbs and amazed at ease of eating OMAD! Have some headaches and cold feet but getting easier everyday. Stomach seems to be in shrinking mode because my meals are getting smaller and better balanced. On to week 2! How did my fellow beginners do?

A quicker adaptation means you were better off to start with--the harder it is to adapt at first, the less in shape that person is. That's great to hear!
  • vrojapu
    Congratulations!!!
  • Eidian
    Eidian Posts: 35 Member
    Name: Sean
    Weight: 358 lbs (down from 370)
    Height: 6'3"
    OMAD time: Around 5pm, though this can vary a bit based on college schedule, but generally "dinnertime" is what I go for.
    OMAD start date: 1/29/16

Hello everyone.

So, I've been aware of OMAD and intermittent fasting for many years now (Warrior Diet), but I've never really had the willpower to truly stick to a diet of any kind. I've gotten down to around 290 lbs in the past through a serious round of OMAD, but life got in the way and I ballooned up to my all-time high of 370 lbs. Since the New Years I've done a bit of a half-hearted diet and managed to lose 15 lbs, down to 355, but after seeing that success I got rather lax with my diet again and gained a few pounds back. Now I've decided to start a journal here to try to keep me on point because I've gotten very tired of the struggles I have with being overweight.

My goals overall are to change my lifestyle to that of having OMAD for the rest of my life, get a six pack (eventually), and to start lifting weights to strengthen my body as much as I can. I feel that losing weight will help boost my confidence and increase my ability to improve all aspects of my life. I'm also interested in solving some out-of-shape issues I've got like tight hamstrings, hips, etc. from sitting at the computer all the time.