A promise to myself.

Options
123457»

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Congrats!!! Those are some huge milestones, accomplishments, realizations, and goals...

Thankyou :smile:

I had a wonderful Christmas / new years. I have a friend's birthday celebration to go to this weekend and then its back to the regular weigh ins.

Pretty sure I'll be out of my maintenance range, but I don't mind. It will be a few pounds at most, and I feel confident that I'll lose it. It was refreshing to not think about calories and portion; and whilst I know that's not a long term solution, it sure was a nice break.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I decided to take the plunge and get on the scale. I'm at 58 pounds lost; which means 2 pounds over my maintenance range.

My 'maintenance break' (is there such a thing ?) was worth it. I feel really refreshed and ready to get back into it.
    My plan now is to lose 10 pounds to get to the lower end of my maintenance range. At 1/2 pound per week, that will take me to summer !!

The familiarity of my eating routine is a comfortable place to be.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Absolutely there is such a thing, and it's a critical part of long term success. Maintaining allows your metabolism to take a break from the hard work of losing weight so it can gear up to do it again....

I love the comfort and consistency you're finding in a system working FOR you!
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Absolutely there is such a thing, and it's a critical part of long term success. Maintaining allows your metabolism to take a break from the hard work of losing weight so it can gear up to do it again....

I love the comfort and consistency you're finding in a system working FOR you!

It was a break from maintaining (not a break from losing) :smile: :smile: :wink:

After 6 months of maintaining, I gave myself permission to enjoy the Christmas period, and eat above my maintenance calories. It was 'controlled' overeating. I could have chosen to stop but I was enjoying myself so I didn't.
    I have spent the last 1 1/2 years trying to maintain an awareness of the calorie content of everything that I've eaten. Whether losing or maintaining, I have been eating within a calorie limit.
    In December I took a break from all that !!!
    It was good. It was fun. The 3 pounds were worth it.

I'm now 2 pounds above my maintenance range.
    (though how much of that is just daily fluctuations I don't know).

I feel very refreshed. and I agree, I think taking a break is an important part of long term success. (for me, anyway).

I just need to get my weight to the bottom of my maintenance range before the next 'break' :smiley:

• totaldetermination
    Options
    I'm back in my maintenance range.

I really enjoyed the break in December. Now that I know that I was able to get back to eating within a calorie limit, I can say that I am really glad that I did it.

The next step is to get to the bottom of my maintenance range.
    Since its a 10lb range, I've got a long way to go !
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling very down and out for this week. I pulled myself out of the " funk" so that I can get back on my grind. I lost 50 pounds but this week alone gained about 5 back. My promise to myself is to get back on the grind. Just having a tough time staying motivated.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kaysday wrote: »
    I've been feeling very down and out for this week. I pulled myself out of the " funk" so that I can get back on my grind. I lost 50 pounds but this week alone gained about 5 back. My promise to myself is to get back on the grind. Just having a tough time staying motivated.

But isn't it so shockingly amazing that we can pull ourselves back now after 5 pound gains, rather than gaining it ALL back PLUS 5 pounds?? That's the part that still rocks my socks off! *high five* to you!!!
  • kaysday
    Options
    Yes it is amazing @KnitOrMiss !!! ☺️ thank u so much for the response. It was so much appreciated!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, @kaysday. I had a rough weekend myself but yesterday managed to grit my way through it. Knitormiss is right!
  • kaysday
    Options
    Thank u! @Nevadaden
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    It is hard staying motivated when you have a lot to lose, but it is very important not to give up. We will never be perfect so the all or nothing will not work for most of us. Consistency is what we need and to keep getting back up when we fall down. You have come this far and I feel you can keep it going. Success is NEVER giving up because you are WORTH the hard effort.
  • kaysday
    Options
    It is hard staying motivated when you have a lot to lose, but it is very important not to give up. We will never be perfect so the all or nothing will not work for most of us. Consistency is what we need and to keep getting back up when we fall down. You have come this far and I feel you can keep it going. Success is NEVER giving up because you are WORTH the hard effort.

This is so very true. Thank you for the kind words!