A promise to myself.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Hello,
    While at family reunion, I promise myself to log whatever I eat and for the 2 days I am not driving to walk a minimum of 6000 steps which is Friday and Saturday.

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    sothgo wrote: »
    thank you both for the support, and your kind comments, yes it's a new month and I wanted it to be better than next month. At june I binge just 4 times this is not much compared with other month from the beginning of the year!
    again thank you I have to learn to be less demanding towards myself .thank you for helping me be conscious that I can move on and that it 's a long way to recover
    11 days without binging, and only 4 times in a month is great !! You can be proud of the effort that took :smile:

Molly - Hope the weekend goes well, and you manage to get those steps in.

Shell, Sothgo, MMK - good luck for July. Good luck to all of us. My aim is just to keep making an effort. not to give up.

• Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 432 Member
    Hey all. I'm new to this forum but not new to mfp. I've been on here for almost a year. I had my 2nd child 14 months ago. And while pregnant I picked up the bad habit of eating at night. And I haven't been able to stop. But I realized recently it's more than just eating at night. I'll binge. I was almost at 2 weeks of no binging, then idk what happened. I ate some meatloaf, some chips, 7 cookies and peanut butter wafers last night. Ugh. How do I stop this? Even with knowing that my wedding dress was tight when I tried it on 2 weeks ago and my wedding is just 3 weeks away, I still binged.
  • totaldetermination
    Hi all,
    Work has been busy for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been logging my food and haven't been very active.
    I am sure that I have gained a bit.
    But from tomorrow I will be back on track.
    I am committing to weighing myself tomorrow morning, logging everything I eat, and eating within my calorie limits.

@Zumbah - there's no easy solution. I hope these last few days have been better. Just keep taking one day at a time. Focusing on the successes. Each time you manage a day binge free, you know that you can do it again.
  • totaldetermination
    Just weighed myself and the good news is that I am still in my maintenance range (unexpected !!). The not so good news is that I am right at the top of it.
    So I'm going to set my calorie deficit to 1/2 lb loss to get down to the bottom of it.

I am reasserting my determination to log everything I eat and to eat within my calorie target. I need to do this in order to stay within the weight maintenance range that I have chosen for myself.
  • totaldetermination
    I keep thinking to myself that I'll have just have one more meal without logging and that I can go back to logging tomorrow.
    That's not ok !!!
    I am writing this post to reassert my determination that I am logging from today and that I will eat within my calorie budget from today.

not tomorrow. today. tomorrow never comes !!!

I will post back tomorrow to confirm that I logged everything and ate within my calorie limit today.
  • totaldetermination
    yesterday went well - all the food was logged and I was within my target calories :-)

Just have to keep going in this direction :smile:
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    well done! keep doing this!
  • totaldetermination
    Congrats on the weigh-in. A half marathon sounds like a great way to stay on track.

I haven't been logging. I really don't have time. But I am watching what I eat so carefully that I might even be losing. That's the best I can do for now, and I feel ok with that. I will start logging again by 1st August.
  • totaldetermination
    starting again today. no excuses !

morning weigh in was on target :smile:
  • totaldetermination
    still going strong :smile:

I realised that this thread helps me in 2 ways.

It holds me accountable to keep an eye on my weight and my calories.

But more importantly, and I only just started to realise this, it helps me catch myself as soon as my discipline starts to wane. The earlier I catch it, the easier it is to get back on track, which also helps me avoid binging. When my discipline starts to wane, its like TB is trying to get me back into a position where he can make his move. Constant awareness of my actions means I am not giving TB an opportunity to create a space from which he can make his move. It seems to be working.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    I am so inspired by your dedication. Keep at it!
  • totaldetermination
    I am so inspired by your dedication. Keep at it!

Thankyou :smile:

I feel as though there are 2 children battling it out inside me. One wants me to follow a healthy lifestyle; the other just wants to eat and eat. The first one is in charge and usually gets his way. But when the second one keeps nagging and nagging sometimes he needs support.

'come on, just a little more....'
    'no.'
    'oh its not such a big deal, its just a little'
    'no.'
    'Why not ? its just one day'
    'no.'
    'It'll taste really good. you'll really enjoy it'

'Mum (in a whining voice), he won't stop hassling me'
    'Tell him I said he's not going to get his way'

'mum says no.'
    'hmph.'

Writing in this thread is my way of saying a firm 'NO.'

• LetterToCorinth
    LetterToCorinth Posts: 130 Member
    I know the feeling! Sometimes I feel schizophrenic. haha It's even worse when it's another person - one who doesn't understand the struggle - coaxing you to eat. My favorites are:

"You only live once!"
    "C'mon! A treat won't hurt once in awhile!"
    "You have to enjoy yourself!"

Or, the people who have the ability to "overeat" once in awhile (and by"overeat," I mean they have a second helping of potato salad at a barbecue) without bingeing, and think they know what you mean.

"Oh, I know just what you mean! I had a slice of cheese before bed!"
    "Oh, really? I ate the whole pound, 2 slices of pizza, a bowl of cereal, and a dish of ice cream."

:/
  • sothgo
    thanks guy I feel less stupid, I also sometimes have two voices talking Inside my brain, one is trying to bring me down, the other one is trying to help me figthing against the binge, and since 25 days my conscious brain help me not bingeing, you can do it both of you!
  • totaldetermination
    Just want to post an update to keep myself accountable to this thread.
    I'm mostly on track calorie wise, and weight is in my maintenance zone.

Very few days are perfect. I regularly eat junk that I don't plan to eat, or finish all my calories (and my prelogged meals) by 3pm and then go hungry. though occasionally I just eat over my calories for that day. It all evens out in the end - I have some low days as well.

On the whole I'm doing ok.

I do feel frustrated with myself for not being perfect, but as I write this I can see that actually I'm doing pretty good :smile: I'm hitting the big goals. i'm succeeding, even if I'm not perfect. and that's ok.

'perfectly imperfect', they say. I don't accept myself enough yet to feel that.
    But I can look at the positives, rather than dwelling on the imperfections.

and on the whole, I'm doing well.
    yay !
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Hooray for you!
    Having high-calorie days and low-calorie days is just the way of life, there's absolutely no reason to see that as an imperfection! Obviously if you wait a few weeks and see unwanted changes in your weight that's a reason to rethink your eating plan, but otherwise just celebrate how far you've come!

The "come on, you only live once!" voice is a big problem for me sometimes. Usually I try to blame it on the occasion. "Aww, the end-of-the-season party at work only comes once a year, just enjoy it!", "Marshall's cookies are my favorite, I don't know when he'll bake them again, I'll just have a third one", "It's the holidays, I shouldn't waste them counting calories!" But as soon as I let myself start thinking like that everything becomes a "special occasion".

As I near my weight goal, I feel much thinner and healthier than when I began, and I have started bargaining with myself about what is "close enough". One voice says "I've come so far, I want to feel the satisfaction of reaching the weight I committed myself to months ago, the magic number that's been my "dream weight" since high school."
    The other voice says, "Gee, another slice of pizza would still be within your maintenence calories...why don't you just give up and start maintaining, you'd get to eat so much more and you're not even that fat anyways, I can live with the last 15 lbs..."
  • totaldetermination
    Hi,
    I completely agree with you that days of higher calories and lower calories is ok.
    For me, the 'imperfection' is that I set myself a target of what to eat for that day and then I don't manage to stick to it. I would like to be strong enough that if I set myself reasonable food aims, I can keep them. Eating all my calories by 3pm and then having to go hungry is not ideal.
    everything becomes a "special occasion".
    that's exactly my problem !
    My 'treats' become the norm very easily if I allow it.

• totaldetermination
    I'm mostly on track calorie wise, and my weight is in my maintenance zone.

Because of summer, I am still not quite back into my routine so there are constant challenges but things should start to settle down next week. I'm pleased that I've maintained through the summer.
  • sothgo
    I'm mostly on track calorie wise, and my weight is in my maintenance zone.

Because of summer, I am still not quite back into my routine so there are constant challenges but things should start to settle down next week. I'm pleased that I've maintained through the summer.

good job! not easy to maintain this time but september is nearly here!