After finding my TDEE, I'm considering a slow cut - thoughts/feedback?

Options

Replies

• KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking back @heybales and @KickboxDiva :)
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Update - here's my weight logins over the last week.

02/15 160.6 TOM
    02/16 160.6 TOM
    02/18 160.6
    02/19 160.2
    02/23 157.4 woosh
    02/24 159.0

My calorie intake has been spot on at 1600-1650 calories/day - down around 1.6 lbs in those 9 days which is about 1.25 lbs/wk.

My workouts have been going awesome - I had a PR for reps on Bench Press, Leg Press and Leg Curl this week. I still feel strong and am sleeping pretty well, once I get to sleep (averaging between 6.5-7.5 hrs/night).
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Great result. Sleeping through the night is always a challenge for me, glad your sleep is getting better for you.l
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Update - here's my weight logins over the few weeks - I'm struggling with my intake

02/25 159.0
    02/26 158.4 Avg Cal/Wk: 1610
    03/09 159.0 Avg Cal/Wk: 1638
    03/17 159.4 Avg Cal/Wk: 1661

My calorie intake has been on average 1625-1750 calories/day - no real change in my weight over this time.

My workouts have been going okay - I haven't been able to increase my lifts over the last few weeks but I have increased on reps for the most part.

I'm wondering if I've dropped my calories too low which is causing me to stall or it's simply my lack of being diligent with my logging in the evening from frustration. I have been logging diligently again for the last week so I'm looking forward to checking my measurements tomorrow morning - perhaps see if my body composition has changed.

Input is welcome.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I've heard that some people have a better loss after the first cut is over. Your weight seems pretty stable. Sounds frustrating- maybe the inches are down. How do your clothes fit?
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Bumping. I've heard that some people have a better loss after the first cut is over. Your weight seems pretty stable. Sounds frustrating- maybe the inches are down. How do your clothes fit?

I've lost the most body fat as I was reversing slowly out of my cut. My body just relaxed for the constant feeding that it got. I just felt like it told me that "hon, it's okay to let go of the stored fat as you won't be starved to hang on it". Keep your cut going and choose a very slow reverse and it should help you! I added 10 g carbs and 1 g fat weekly. Went from 1600 kcals to 2200 kcals in like two months. When my weight didn't change or even dropped I added 20g and 2 fats to get up sooner.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    How slow did you reverse out of your cut @molnardrea ?
  • molnardrea
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    How slow did you reverse out of your cut @molnardrea ?

10 g carbs and 1g fat weekly as I said. That was the principle. But after 3-4 days on the new level I always felt confident to go faster because I didn't gain, even still lost weight at the beginning so I didn't eat one whole week on the same level always. I upped more frecuently. Every 3-4 days. I should also mention that I've never been dieting as low calories for long periods of times. I do this whole up and down scaling in 2-3 months repeatedly to have 8 weeks of "cut" and then slowly coming out of that to not put back fat and still eat normally. I'm 5'4 and 138 lbs, but with quite a lot of muscle. Close to my goal look, I want to lean out. On January 1st I started from 1500 cals and slowly in two month until the end of February I went up to 2200 where I stayed a week. From the beginning of March I'm taking away 20 g carbs and 2 grams fat each week until the end of next week. That will be 4 weeks of light, gradual cut. Then in April I will slowly add back again, until May, when I want to be on maintenance again. From then on I will stay on maintenance probably the whole summer because I will be very active and will have lots of exams and I can't study if I'm craving nutrients.

Note. My changes are not HUGE. But as long as I'm not going back into my old bingeing habits and eating like cr*p and progessing in the gym, I'm happy :)
  • molnardrea
    Options
    Oh and I gained like 4 pounds only but I was also going out a few times with friends, and I had some meals were I didn't count, but finally I could eat to were I was satisfied and actually for the first time in a long while I said no to the last bites of pancake on my plate. That's a huge WOW for me. If you are well fed and not in a constant cutting mentality but a food is fuel mentality you don't even stress about it anymore and you relax around food. I was stunned.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks for your input @molnardrea! I may give that a try as well. I don't think I could go down to 1500 calories though...hmm. Are you lifting heavy right now or at those calories?

@saranharm my measurements are about the same, they have gone down slightly after increasing in the last part of my bulk. It's important to note that although I weigh 15 lbs heavier, my measurements are the same as when I was at 145 lbs - for that I am truly happy!

To be honest, I'd be happy with where I'm at if I could lose a few inches from my waist - which I know you can't spot reduce but my measurements everywhere else I'm happy with.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    ^ thats awesome!

I am up 15 since my reset but i also gained 8+ inches. Which is annoying discouraging. Hoping those are going down while on a cut but my clothes fit the same.
  • molnardrea
    Options
    Thanks for your input @molnardrea! I may give that a try as well. I don't think I could go down to 1500 calories though...hmm. Are you lifting heavy right now or at those calories?

@saranharm my measurements are about the same, they have gone down slightly after increasing in the last part of my bulk. It's important to note that although I weigh 15 lbs heavier, my measurements are the same as when I was at 145 lbs - for that I am truly happy!

To be honest, I'd be happy with where I'm at if I could lose a few inches from my waist - which I know you can't spot reduce but my measurements everywhere else I'm happy with.

Yes @Jennifer_Lynn_1982, I am lifting heavy on my 1500 week too. But that only means 3 lifting sessions that I have to do on that level. Next week I bump up to 1600 cals. Right now I'm on 1600 and I'm feeling weaker already. Can't wait to reverse out. I'm feeling the strongest above 2000 cals. When I feel weak and cannot lift heavy, I go down on the weights and add in one more set or more reps. Generally just doing higher volume training. I don't know why, probably not the best thing to do for my body, but mentally it helps me through the session.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    You've basically periodized your workouts and that's good!
  • molnardrea
    Options
    I didn't know that :P Haha. I'm just going by feel, let my body talk and listen to it. I think this is the most important overall. To be friends and a team with your body. Help it. It took a year for me to learn this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    During deficit training the higher volume is better, easier to recover from.

But, to maintain the strength if it was longer than 3-4 weeks, you'd need to reduce frequency/duration and keep intensity or weight on the bar.

The difference between just using the muscle to have no issues keeping it, and keeping the muscles at the same strength level.
  • molnardrea
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

But, to maintain the strength if it was longer than 3-4 weeks, you'd need to reduce frequency/duration and keep intensity or weight on the bar.

The difference between just using the muscle to have no issues keeping it, and keeping the muscles at the same strength level.

I'm mostly physique oriented not strength, so I'm fine with some strength loss. It will come back as I increase my calories up again and keep adding back the weight on the bar, right?

I'd also like to push my calories further once I'm done with this reverse. I'd like to try and add 10 g of carbs and 1 g fat each week and grow my metabolic capacity. Is it really possible for my body to adjust slowly for using more calories without storing it as fat?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Happy to report that after almost 2 weeks of sticking to my calories and macros I'm showing some weight loss (hopefully not any significant muscle loss). I'm down about 1-3 lbs (depending on trending/moving avg or recorded weight) over those 2 weeks.

I changed up my program a bit too - still strength focused. I'll update in a week or so once I've checked my measurements. Thanks to everyone for their input...I'm guessing my estimates on snacking wasn't really a good estimate! I good reminder to weigh everything if you're stalled.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    molnardrea wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

I'm mostly physique oriented not strength, so I'm fine with some strength loss. It will come back as I increase my calories up again and keep adding back the weight on the bar, right?

I'd also like to push my calories further once I'm done with this reverse. I'd like to try and add 10 g of carbs and 1 g fat each week and grow my metabolic capacity. Is it really possible for my body to adjust slowly for using more calories without storing it as fat?

Totally missed this.

Studies have shown the body will speed up metabolism and daily burn if you eat in surplus - for a short period of time. But then the excess is getting stored as fat.
    Body tries to be efficient, so it doesn't invent processes to burn calories that aren't needed.

Usually what does happen though with someone with a good workout program - that becomes better and burns more during and for recovery - so TDEE actually does increase.
    But all things kept equal - no.

Keep adding enough fat though and moving it around and of course at some point if eating level hasn't increased - you've made your TDEE match your eating level.
    If good strong progressive lifting routine, can add muscle too with the fat. Hence bulking.