What is your favorite healthy breakfast to start the day?

Replies

• rjwright1970
    rjwright1970 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't have a favorite I guess, but I am addicted to Special K Cinnamon Pecan. I do like making frittata (omelette) with cheese and kale, spinach or broccoli. I also get a 12 grain bread for Avocado Toast, in which I take a half Avocado and smash it with enough Cayenne Pepper to taste. I also like the Old Fashioned Oatmeal with Craisins, chopped pecans and cinnamon. Also like most people who can't seem to start the day coffee, I am one of them. It was also suggested to me to drink at least 8 oz of water before anything else passes my lips; because it wakes up the metabolism.
  • ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    Nearly every weekday morning I have the yoplait tropical fruit 100 calorie greek yogurt and mix it with 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese. I know it sounds kinda gross but it really is very good. Sometimes I will chop up a banana and add it. 180 calories and 22 grams of protein...not bad.

Ok this sounds like an AWESOME idea!!! I'm trying to eat as much protein as possible with as little calories and this for sure fits the bill!!
  • ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    I have just discovered Kodiak Flapjack Mix with Protein. You can make anything!! Breakfast casseroles, muffins, waffles, pancakes; or add oats and mashed bananas and you've got a protein filled cookie!! I also love Ezekiel Bread english muffins topped with a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole (sometimes I add a sliced hard boiled egg as well) This is by far the most delicious breakfast I've experimented with :)
  • semcadam
    semcadam Posts: 19 Member
    I make baked oatmeal everyday! 1/2 cup rolled oats, 45 g egg white, 20 g skim milk, 2 g honey, 25 g applesauce, 1 tbsp peanut butter, a little vanilla and baking powder - so good! Comes out to around 300 calories.
  • yoohooitssue
    yoohooitssue Posts: 3 Member
    I made pumpkin pie flavored oatmeal the other day and it was super good and kept me fill for several hours. Which is not easy to do as I have a massive appetite!

Hi - How did you make the oatmeal? With pumpkin pie spice? Just wondering cuz sounds good.
  • hlegace
    hlegace Posts: 8 Member
    This morning I had scrambled eggs with garlic and on the side I had a sweet potato hash that included onions, zucchini and spinach. It was greaté
  • pieterscar
    pieterscar Posts: 2 Member
    2 scrambled eggs (120 cals), 1 oz shredded mozzarella (30 cals), tomatoes. Then, 2 Morning Star sausage links (80 cals) - microwave 45 secs then add to egg scramble = YUMMY (230 cals). Protein fills me until mid morning snack!
  • gorogo
    gorogo Posts: 1 Member
    I love the Nugo nutrition to go protein bars for breakfast. They have 170 calories and 11 grams of protein and taste awesome.
  • ncarmac
    ncarmac Posts: 1 Member
    Either cereal, I like Aldi's Milvale whole bran & wheat flakes cereal ( 90 cal for 3/4 cup)with a half banana and almond milk (not vanilla)

Or yogurt, I buy Aldi's Friendly Farms Greek plain yogurt in the large container (130 cal for 1 cup) and add a packet of Truvia sweetener, blueberries, strawberries or 1/2 banana and sometimes some chia seeds or a few cut up walnuts. Walmart has a good plain yogurt in a large container and much cheaper than many. Fage ( is the best, but more expensive)

Or eggs..sometimes a western omelet with 2 eggs or 1 egg & 1 white. I lightly saute some onion, pepper, mushrooms, spinach (whatever I have on hand) first. I keep that warm and add the egg to the small frypan. I either spray with cooking spray or use a little olive oil. When almost cooked I add a very small amount of cheese...I love feta and sometime sprinkle some turmeric (it's supposed to be good for you), basil flakes, salt and pepper. And definitely coffee with low fat creamer
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    My favorite go to breakfast items are BF bowls:

Savory Oatmeal
    Old fashion oats cooked with some onion, celery and salt ... Then topped with an over medium egg, grated Parmesan and bacon pieces ... CRAZY GOOD!!

And my blk bean and egg bowl
    1/2-3/4c rinsed blk beans warmed, sprinkle them with cumin, add a little chopped onion, diced tomatoes, avocado and a over medium egg.

Wouldn't be disappointed any either of these!!!!!!
  • esraaalsaad97
    esraaalsaad97 Posts: 1 Member
    oatmeal with milk
  • curlybiker
    curlybiker Posts: 3 Member
    I am a low carb person, but i missed oatmeal so I found this idea for a fake oatmeal and I love it, it also has a fiber punch that's sometimes hard to get when eating low carb. Its a bit sticky but it does the job. I make mine with pb2 b/c i love peanut butter but you could omit that and use a tbs of heavy cream, berries or anything else you would like to flavor it with, I don't remember what web site I found this on or I would give credit. Also, the initial recipe used 2 tbs chia but i didn't feel that i needed that much
    152 cal, 13 carbs, 9 fiber, 9 protein
    1 tbs chia seeds
    2 tbs flax meal
    1 pkt sweetner (stevia)
    2 tbs pb2
    - mix everything with 1/3 cup hot water and let it sit for a min to thicken.
    - I complete it with a coffee with 1 tbs heavy cream and 1 tbs torani french vanilla sugar free syrup.

There is also classic scrambled eggs :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I make a big batch of scrambled eggs on Sunday and eat it throughout the week. Normal breakfast is:
    4 egg whites with spinach and mushrooms - hot sauce on top
    1/4 Pummelo

164 Calories, 21 Carbs, 22 Protein 1 Fat
  • Bubpachad
    Bubpachad Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Eggs pan, It's very easy and good for your morning..
  • mminer55
    mminer55 Posts: 2 Member
    I love my overnight oats. I prep them Sunday night to last me Monday-Thursday. I add 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cashew milk, fresh berries or apples, cinnamon, hemp seeds, and a dollop of Greek yogurt. It keeps me comfortably full and satisfied all morning long. And better yet, prevents me from snacking at my desk.
  • lynshady
    lynshady Posts: 10 Member
    Egg White breakfast burrito

Egg White mcMuffin - homemade - with a little pesto and light sliced cheese or a laughing cow spreadable cheese

Kodiak protein pancakes

Egg whites scrambled , one slice of toast and a piece of fruit
  • Patamushta
    Patamushta Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    s33rerb6ydjd.jpg
    xnuxpt3kpd0k.jpg
    Dry crispy bread with avocado spread.
    Mash 1 avocado.
    Squeeze juice of 1/4 lemon
    add a pinch of salt
    finely chop some cucumber (apprx half the size of avocado)
    Mix all together and spread on dry bread. (Doesn't taste as good with soft bread)

The portion in the picture has 190 kcal.
  • MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    I love breakfast! On the weekends I make a farm fresh fritatta. I take two whole eggs and beat them with a whisk with 6-8 equivalent of egg whites. I place 2 T olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand. Usually it involves spinach,zucchini,celery,carrots,onions and bell peppers. Sometimes I add a little hot pepper or broccoli, or fresh herbs like basil and or cherry tomatoes all cut to bite size pieces. I stir fry the vegetables until tender/crisp and poor over the egg mixture and let the bottom set on medium low on the stove. (Do not stir) Once set, place in the oven under the broiler until the top is set and just slightly browned. Remove with potholder to cool on a cutting board a few minutes. Cut fritatta in pie like wedges and remove from the pan with a flat thin spatula or knife. Serves 4-6 large servings. Add salt/Pepper/ Hot sauce or salsa to taste. I freeze left over wedges to serve during the week with a quick microwave warm up.High Fiber, Low fat, and filling! Add beans or cauliflower and southwestern seasonings to change it up every now and then. Enjoy!!!
  • MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    My other go to breakfast is a soft boiled egg in the egg cup.I also have a cup of steel cut irish oats with a tablespoon of clover honey and top it off with 1% milk. Add a hot cup of Barry's Irish Tea with 1% milk and your good to go the duration of the day. Sometimes I add flax seed or whole oat bran to the oatmeal. This is stick to your ribs food that tastes great and energizes you for the day!
  • boodreaux62
    boodreaux62 Posts: 1 Member
    I buck the trend on low-carb that I was on for a few years. Being a Type 2 diabetic I was always trying to go low until met a nutritionist who said try going back to higher carb & trying Intermittent fasting(18 hours of fasting 6 hour window of eating) My oatmeal is a savory one since I don't have a sweet tooth. 1/4 cup of steal cut oatmeal, 1 tbsp of MCT oil, 1 tbsp of one of the hot pepper purees I have(everything from naga jolokia to scotcb bonnet LOL), 1 scoop of unflavored whey protein, cook for 25-30 minutes, add 4 tbsp of salsa, then once it's done, crack 2-3 large egg in and it's awesome. 485calories 29g Carbs 18g Fat 55g Protein Since then my blood sugar has improved drastically and I've been dropping body fat as well.