March-ing in to Spring!

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
So it's March and I figured someone's gotta start the March thread (I almost posted to February :) )

I've changed things up a bit - some of you may have remembered that I felt like I was burning out some on the heavy lifts. So today:

10 minutes before lifting of 20 different body movements (some ab work like planks and mountain climbers, and some arm/leg movements as well). It's a great app that I'm using. You can choose 10-20-30 minute work outs and also concentrate on specific body areas if you want. I just do the full body.

Then SL:
Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105 (de-loaded from 135)
Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x85 (didn't increase load today, stayed the same as the last lift)
Rows: 5x5x85

I felt much better about lifting since I went in to it knowing that the weight wasn't going to feel crushing - and that I'm going to take my time on form and really make it perfect to prevent injuries.

Thanks to all of you who commented on "Enough is Enough" - your guidance was super valuable to me :)

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Way to go Deena_Bean! I can almost feel the improvement you will make solely based on a good healthy attitude about your lifting plans.

Everyone, I'm new to lifting and was intimidated by the main monthly posting so I started a smaller post which I am enjoying. But in addition to that post, I am going to try to keep up with you ladies so I can feel apart of the bigger team after my initial 16 weeks are complete. Also, I think I've learned enough to at least participate. At first it was so much lingo that I just felt lost. But I am getting it and loving it.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Day 13
    SL5x5 - A

Squat: 5x5 @ 105lb
    BP: 5x5 @ 70lb
    Row: 5x5 @ 85lb
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sounds great @Deena_Bean ! I deloaded on a few lifts a while back and it was so nice to go into a few "easier" workouts that were not so physically and mentally exhausting.

Glad you are joining us here @DDHFree ! I hope you encourage the others in the second thread to join us here. :)

Kettlebells today
    Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Swings: 20x15 at 16kg
    Alternating Press: 2 x 6,4,2
    Band Assisted Pull-up: 2 x 6,4,2
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Forgot my notebook again so need to work on that so I know what I'm supposed to lift. Right hand is acting up so can be pained not so much from holding the bar but just moving it a certain way. Went okay lifting at least though ached more when I was trying to sleep. Good part is that I have 2 whole days off work, so woot! Anyways, starting the next chapter/week in the peak attempt.

Chapter 3: OHP

elliptical warm up for 10 minutes
    band pulls 3x10 yellow band

OHP 2x8 @ 45, 1x6 @ 55, 3x5 @ 70

pull up 3x1.5 and chin up 1x2
    tri push down 3x10 @ 70 - one time with bar and 2 sets with the rope

pendlay with straps 3x5 @ 115 - meh. Can tell I haven't done these in a while. Need to work on form and tried straps just cause hand is acting up right now.

pallof press 3x10 @ 35
    chair abs 3x9 BW

Not bad overall. Next up is lots of cleaning, some cooking and a little computer work. Maybe write later tonight.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Thanks, friends! I'm feeling really good about my choices right now. To my astonishment and delight I weighed in today and was down 2.4 lbs - and also measured and have gone down over 4 whole inches (combined areas)! I'm in an upswing right now and I'm just lovin' it!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks Deena_Bean for starting this. I posted my workout on the February thread.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    You're weclome :)

Today was SL rest day - hit the treadmill. Ran a mile and walked on an incline for the rest of the time. I was lacking energy this morning...not sure why. I slept fine and I felt ok getting up, but my body feels tired...
  • raisingcropsandkids
    raisingcropsandkids Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Happy March!
    Squat- 5x5 80#
    BP- 5X5 60#
    Row- 5x5 80#

After this week I won't have enough weights at home to increase my deadlift so I need to start shopping for more =)
    In my weightless journey I've lost 40lbs, and I have 50 more to go. For March I'm really watching my nutrition, trying to stick to whole foods, and especially get enough protein. =)
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks ninenines. I am going to post in both as I try to learn the ropes here.

Week 10
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 96.4 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 96.4 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 96.4 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 96.4 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 43 lbs × 6
    Notes: OMG! Did the overhead press at a nice pace and less time in between sets and it was relatively easy. Could have increased but wanted to enjoy the moment. I've obviously gotten stronger on this exercise. Will increase next time. So does this mean I've built some additional muscle in addition to getting stronger? I'm going to tell myself that regardless. LOL! I seriously cannot believe I OHPressed those 43 pounds like nobody's business! Yeah me!!!
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/100/105, 5X5X 110
    Sumo squat-5X5X 110
    0HP-1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 45
    DL-1X5X 135

Today was a deload day. I am also back to split routines. I will also be doing my 10,000 kettle bell swing challenge later today.
  • sarah___mac
    sarah___mac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm joining this thread for some accountability. Gonna crush March :)

3/1

In the morning I had my 2nd-to-last physical therapy session for my back/rib/vertebrae issue, in addition the the stretching and soft tissue work there, I did:

seated lat pull down 2x15 @ 40lbs
    seated rows 2x15 @ 40lbs
    Side plank off knee w/ leg raise 2x10 (each side)
    "Ls" and "Ms" over ball with 1lb weights 3x12 of each
    plank walk-out on ball, with 5 push planks when I am far from ball, repeat 5x.

PT instructed me to keep this up 3x a week on my own - I'll have the to the lat pull and row at the gym, but the rest can be done at home. I'm planning to post these here, too, to keep myself accountable.

I recently restarted SL and my schedule is Tu/Th/Sat OR Sun (the weekend flexibility has worked well for me in the past), so in the evening I did:

Squat 5x5 @ 60lbs - felt good, focused on form, will increase weight next time. I am considering adding reps to my squats as I work back through these "low" weights (I was @ 120lbs in December before I took a break)
    OHP 3x5 @ 45 lbs - I am working on refining form here, as per suggestions from canadianlbs (check out my link in the form check videos thread, if you are able! input appreciated), so I took my time and reviewed the video after each set. Was feeling fatigued after 3 sets and getting sloppy (probably due to morning PT shoulder/back work), so I skipped the last 2 sets and will repeat this weight.
    Dead 1x5 @ 135lbs - again, refining form. I placed a mirror to the side so I could glance at back position between each lift. Will increase weight here next time.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    10,000 kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet Squats-3X7X 30
    Russian kettlebell Swings-25X 10 X 30
    Challenge total- 750/10,000

I have decided that on StrongLifts days I will do 250 kettle bell swings. I also used the 30 pound kettle bell instead of the 25 pound.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Deena_Bean - Thanks for starting March off with a bang!

I dropped weight off my lifts due to some issues with my back, hip, knee and shoulders (wow sounds worse when you type it out like that). Chirco is getting back in alignment, and feeling good. I was going to do measurements and weigh in this week, but no go when it's that time. So, probably next week and see how things are going.

I am super excited because I finally uploaded all my workouts for SL when I started back in Dec. I moved to a new phone and thought I lost it all! So yay, I like to see the graphs.

My 2 rest days are in the week (just how the schedule goes), so I don't hit the gym till Friday, but here is yesterdays:

Squat- 150pds 5x5
    BP - 75pds 5x5
    Row - 100pds 5x5

I am feeling really good with the dropping of the weights. No knee issues, though my shoulder was sore last night and today.

I am finding it really hard to hit my macro on protein. I am going to have to really rethink the eating. I did buy a protein supplement for making shakes, and I am actually really enjoying the shakes. But I am still falling a tad bit low for the daily intake. I guess one thing at a time.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @Isca_1 - I was a little sad about lowering the weights at first, but it's really renewed my love of the lifts, so it was worth it. I am going to add weight when I can fly through the sets and take short breaks between (instead of the longer breaks). Then I'll do the same with that 5lb increase. What's the rush, right? :)
  • ninenines
    Options
    @Isca_1 I also have trouble hitting my protein target. I really have to consciously focus on hitting it and that's with a pretty moderate target, I would struggle to hit it at some of the higher levels I've seen recommended.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Alright, lifted today and did a short run outside. Do think having squats on just energy drink/snack and nothing else. Will lift later in day after foods next week for squat day.

Chapter 3: Squats

elliptical for 10 minutes warm up
    band pulls for shoulders before warm up squat sets

Squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 4x4 @ 160 - okay but rather slow

Overload/Walkout 1x 15 count @ 230

Pause Squats 2x4 @ 110 for 8 count

good morning 3x10 @ 85

sumo deadlift 1x5 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 180

30+ minute jog outside at the park. Didn't quite do the full playlist, which was about 40 minutes. Some rain but at least not a downpour.

My right hand is bothering me but not so much during lifting but other points in my day. Even when sleeping. Might need to use one of my braces for a little bit and see if that helps. No diagnosis but it acts up like this on the rare occasion but shouldn't be a problem for too long.

Protein is still a struggle for me too. Some days I do okay and get around 80, some days are better and I get closer to 100. I don't do many shakes but use protein powder for cake bowls and such, though can't have the whey ones. I do occasionally have a protein bar. Today is a dairy day so will be having a protein bar later to help out a little and cause some are tasty.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies of the lifting sort!

March is going to be a challenge for me - mainly for lovely social type reasons, but I need to stay focused on getting my lifting time in too! Hubby is 50 later this month so that means a fair bit of going out and eating with friends etc over the course of a few days. Tough life! Then before that we are off skiing for a week so although loads of skiing will be done (hopefully) it will be more than offset by the amount of food I eat! Obviously won't be able to lift during that week but will be getting my leg work done on the slopes instead.

Plus, I'm still doing my 100 day run to remember challenge - 2 miles day for 100 days. Just completed day 13, so all going well. But I am getting the run out of the way first thing in the morning, which means lifting has to happen in the evening, when the gym is busier, or the social stuff is creeping in. So this is where I need to be focused - I appreciate I am not lifting so heavy while I am doing my daily run, that's fine, but I do need to lift *something*.

I have my kettlebells at home, but have now progressed onto the heavier ones so I may need to bite the bullet and buy myself a 16kg kb to use at home to make sure I am getting a decent lifting type workout in somehow. decisions, decisions. I mustn't use all the other stuff going on as any sort of excuse. On the other hand, if I get through March doing odds and ends, I can hit April with real oomph as there isn't so much to get in the way then!

Anyway, back to the reporting in......, haven't lifted so far this month - am aiming to do so after work so will report back again then!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @kimiuzzell Sounds fun! I have been skiing one time. I am not very great at it, but I liked it. Of course, that incident towards the end of the night where I thought I was literally going to die - that sort of jaded it for me. I won't give up, though, I'll go again. My husband went a lot when he was younger (before me) and was really good at it - so it's something he'd like to get back into. He still does well with it even being rusty. I spent most of the day on the bunny hill and the beginner hill (a little bigger than the bunny) and did ok. I took a lesson, it wasn't overly helpful really. Then I tried the 'regular' hill and that was a bad idea. I lost my groove and ended up flying straight down the hill like a freaking Olympic skier. I was literally crying I was so scared, but I somehow pulled it together and tucked my poles in, bent a little at the knees and when I hit any of the little bumps that launched me I just remembered to keep my knees together. I probably "looked" like I knew what I was doing - but I can promise you I was terrified and fearing for my life and anyone's who got in my way LOL. My poor husband. We were on a flat spot together before a larger hill and I was trying to just weave back and forth slowly - when I lost my groove I flew by him at rocket speed and he yelled, "Slow down!" All I could say was, "I caaaaaannnnnn't" as I flew by. He was just as scared as me - he flew down the hill, but I was going so fast he didn't even catch me - met me at the bottom. He even had tears in his eyes LOL. What a day. I have to say I was SUPER impressed that I didn't fall or take anyone out. It was a Festivus Miracle.

Anyways...I digress...today's work:
    10 minute warm-up doing 20 different body movements.
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Dead: 1x5x115

I managed to get my butt up earlier today for the first time in months - much less rushed this morning. It was nice :)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet squat-3X7X 25
    Russian kettle bell swing-50 X 10 X 25

Challenge total- 1,250 swings

Swimming freestyle-45 minutes

I had a very nice morning getting my exercise in. I think the swimming is beneficial to relaxing my muscles after the kettle bell swings.
  • ninenines
    Options
    Netball training last night was so hot, I sweated bucket loads. I also found new muscles in my back yesterday, it was super exciting! I've been working on a very gradual cut and it's fun to see a bit more definition.

This mornings workout, just a light one to loosen up before tonight's basketball grand final. Fingers crossed for a good game.

Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg.
    KB Swing: 10x15 at 16kg. Those extra five swings really make a difference!