BABIES

Options
VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
Ok so I figure we need a thread that we can gush about babies in.
Because I'm all of a sudden going "OMG BABIES" in my head right now and feeling super excited out of nowhere even though I won't start TTC until June at the earliest.

Does anyone else get like this? I picture myself pregnant pretty often and have interesting thoughts such as...

Well, I work with one of my close friends (known her since grade 3, followed her to her workplace unintentionally). So once in a while I think - how weird is it that she will get to experience me pregnant way more than my own sister (who I consider my best friend) will?

Time for some sharing lol!

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I experience baby fever quite often and I also have kitten fever haha I miss having a cat. :P
    and just to show how well they go together: PICTURES
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-top-25-cutest-pictures-of-cats-and-babies#.jxAM1wNko

and for the cat lovers: (I know this is a baby gushing thread but KITTENS! haha
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/8kSCRW/:1n3S_yVd2:KByhw7_1/theriflebird.com/pets/15-cats-with-their-insanely-cute-mini-me-counterparts

EDIT: I also imagine myself pregnant often and have thoughts too, mostly sad thoughts though because I'm about an hour and a half away from my family so it occurs to me that they won't get to see my kids as much as they see my sister's kids and my kids won't get as much quality time with their grandparents.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Before we started trying for my daughter I had baby fever for over a year. I was just ready! I had this weird fear that everyone would like my nephews more than my kids. Also terrified of having twins. I had nightmares about it while I was pregnant actually as well.

Honestly, I still get all excited for a baby, though it normally only lasts for a day or two then reality sets in and I firmly tell myself we are not yet ready. I can't help wondering what it'll be like though to be pregnant to 40 weeks, to experience labour and breastfeeding and how we will adjust to another while my daughter requires so much help and time physically.

To add your baby fever though, here is my daughter at 2 months old and still in the NICU. It's one of my favourite pictures of her.

dvte3wR.jpg
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Eeeeeeek!!!! @VeryKatie , you read my mind. I was totally going to post something similar.

I don't have baby fever, I have baby rabies. lts a serious condition, and I smother myself in Pinterest baby threads to cope lol. I have a closet in my future nursery with books I have been collecting for years, as well as some from my childhood. I've snagged a maternity top or skirt here and there when I've stumbled upon something super cute and stash it away in there too. Trying not to buy many clothes though. I also bought a second hand Bobby off of a lady who never used it (is that crazy?! Am I crazy?!for some reason books don't seem cray, but the Boppy seems like I'm starting down the road to cray town--like I won't buy any baby clothes yet. It just seems way too early.)

Trying not to let the baby rabies get the best of me, and not buy a lot of things now, since it will be so exciting once I am pregnant!

@ Natashalp2014, your daughter is adorable. I love a newborn picture! @WifiresGettingFit I have a kitty fever too. My baby ran away on my honeymoon over a year ago and my heart still hurts. His picture is my backdrop on my computer.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @NatashaLP2014 Twins run in my family so it is something I've thought about - and I'm not really sure how I would handle it.
    I love the picture! Your daughter looks so little and sweet and cuddly and super adorable! :)
    Also, I love your profile picture, her smile brightens up a room!

@Kirstie155 I had thought about doing something similar but we currently don't have any room to have a future baby box at least the type I would want haha but I do see a lot of cute stuff. Nothing wrong with preparing for the future.
    I'm sorry about your cat running away. Mine passed away two years ago and I still miss her terribly. I don't think it is something you get over, they become such a part of your life - you always feel the void.
  • NatashaLP2014
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit Yikes, I do not envy you that!

@Kirstie155 I don't think it's a terrible idea, especially if you get things for a really good price. I also love giving books as birthday gifts for other kids, so if you find you have too many in the end you're set for all the little friends/family parties.

I love our cats too and they are so kind and patient with my daughter; even when she's petting them on the face, they just lay beside her and purr.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @NatashaLP2014 Yeah....I don't envy me either haha We don't plan on starting to try until late this year or early next year depending on when we get married and find a house so I've not been spending to much time worrying about it but it does cross my mind from time to time.
    I'm glad your cats are patient and kind especially with your daughter. I haven't found many cats I don't like.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have been having baby fever for over a year. My husband and I keep setting goals for what we want done before TTC, but then life doesn't go as planned and either those goals take longer to achieve then expected or something new comes up. We are finally at the stage of only waiting for one more thing before TTC, which is for me to have been at my new job close to 1 year so I will qualify for FMLA leave. In the meantime I'm starting to have dreams about being pregnant.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    I am a bit sad. I went to the travel health clinic yesterday and found out that they are recommending to wait two months after a trip to try to get pregnant because of the zika virus. So now my TTC is postponed until August. We aren't going to a zika area but do want to be cautious.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Well that sucks but I would also side with caution.
  • MrsR130
    MrsR130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh, @VeryKatie that sucks! It is smart though to be cautious, but I can understand your frustration. The unknowns with the Zika virus are terrifying though. We have changed all of our travel plans to avoid those areas.

We were planning on starting to try in October, but life got in the way and we've pushed off starting until June/July.
  • puffbrat
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I am a bit sad. I went to the travel health clinic yesterday and found out that they are recommending to wait two months after a trip to try to get pregnant because of the zika virus. So now my TTC is postponed until August. We aren't going to a zika area but do want to be cautious.

That is good to know. I have been waiting to hear any guidelines like that. My husband and I are planning on going to Hawaii in October which is having a dengue fever problem and expected to start seeing zika virus. Sounds like it would be best for us to wait until the end of year to TTC rather than September.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

That is good to know. I have been waiting to hear any guidelines like that. My husband and I are planning on going to Hawaii in October which is having a dengue fever problem and expected to start seeing zika virus. Sounds like it would be best for us to wait until the end of year to TTC rather than September.

The info I was given was that zika actually was found to stay in semen longer than in other fluids of the body, so that's why the recommendation was extended to 2 months. So if you husband gets it, it's in his system for longer and can still be passed to the cells. And he may or may not show any symptoms of actually having zika because it can be really mild.
  • NatashaLP2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the info. We've been thinking of going on a trip next year, though not sure where. We are leaning toward a Disney Cruise, one leaves right out of Vancouver, though I'd love to visit Europe again but I think that might be better to wait for a few more years.

I've got it in my head for us to start trying in May next year but that may change. We only want one more child and the limit would be before I'm 35 because of the high risk I have of pre-eclampsia. I'm turning 31 in a few months so we still have time. It sucks to put plans on hold but definitely better to mitigate what risks you can since there are so many things you cannot control.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty too, makes my heart break.

@VeryKatie That really sucks, Im sorry! My hubs and I were starting to plan a trip for October to a tropical place like Cancun, Belize, the Caribbean for our "conception moon" and have now decided to change gears completely! By October Zika could spread to so many more places, we are planning something cold and untropical now! It really is better to be safe than sorry here zika is so serious and dangerous-those poor babies and mommas with zika, makes me so sad!
    Where did you travel to? I'm planning on putting bug spray on pretty much all the time once it warms up and spraying the yard-need to make sure my husband wears spray too, he hates it. He didn't know he could get zika and give it to me :( he thought it was just a risk if I got bit!

We live in Northern VA, anyone have any conception moon ideas for October for us? We are planning on staying in the US now,hubs wants to check out NYC!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    @WifiresGettingFit I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty too, makes my heart break.

@VeryKatie That really sucks, Im sorry! My hubs and I were starting to plan a trip for October to a tropical place like Cancun, Belize, the Caribbean for our "conception moon" and have now decided to change gears completely! By October Zika could spread to so many more places, we are planning something cold and untropical now! It really is better to be safe than sorry here zika is so serious and dangerous-those poor babies and mommas with zika, makes me so sad!
    Where did you travel to? I'm planning on putting bug spray on pretty much all the time once it warms up and spraying the yard-need to make sure my husband wears spray too, he hates it. He didn't know he could get zika and give it to me :( he thought it was just a risk if I got bit!

We live in Northern VA, anyone have any conception moon ideas for October for us? We are planning on staying in the US now,hubs wants to check out NYC!

At the end of May we're heading to Germany, France, Italy, and Spain on a bus tour. It should be fun! None of those places currently have zika since that's more South America right now, but as you say, you never know how it will spread. So one extra month waiting is worth it if the risk is a bit lower. Not that I couldn't get zika at home but still.

NYC would be so fun! I've heard fantastic things about San Fran and I personally loved New Orleans when I went. Depends how far south you want to go! Seattle might be nice too.
  • puffbrat
    Options
    Thanks for the information @VeryKatie.

San Francisco is really fun. Kirstie, if you both like the outdoors you could go to some national parks like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Arches, Canyonlands.... I've never been to Northwest, but I agree that Seattle or Portland sound nice.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Right now, I have a cousin who is about 3 weeks away from her due date talking about wanting to see her baby on every facebook post and then I have an old high school friend who just recently had a baby posting pictures every five minutes and another friend who I used to work with who had her baby back in November posting baby pictures every other day (so not as bad as every five minutes haha) so basically I'm saying it's not helping calm down my baby fever haha
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Right now, I have a cousin who is about 3 weeks away from her due date talking about wanting to see her baby on every facebook post and then I have an old high school friend who just recently had a baby posting pictures every five minutes and another friend who I used to work with who had her baby back in November posting baby pictures every other day (so not as bad as every five minutes haha) so basically I'm saying it's not helping calm down my baby fever haha

Hahaha that's pretty funny. I have one pregnant friend too and another who does nothing but post pictures of her 11 month old (ever since birth) on Facebook.

I really like the pregnant friend's post - she's very into health for baby and health for mother so she posts interesting articles. Now every time I see her, I'm like "and in that article you posted..." lol. It's fun :)

I unfollowed the friend with the 11 month old on account of there being more photos of him on Facebook than days he's been alive. It was excessive and against my own values (in terms of keeping babies off social media since they don't have a choice).
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've just decreased the amount of time I spend on facebook - seems to help. haha
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I forgot to give an update. My cousin had her baby last week so my news feed on Facebook is filled with even more baby pictures so needless to say, I have continued to limit my time on there :P