April Challenges

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
There are two challenges. There is "All Animal April" which could be considered more advanced. Then there is "Ad Libitum April" which is a more moderate difficulty challenge. Details for both follow. Of course, both are compatible with each other. So, you can do both.

All Animal April
  • This is the challenge that has already been discussed for April. Go the whole month giving up plants. It is similar to Meativore May. I forget if we had any specific guidelines last year, so I typed this up. Let me know if I missed anything or it needs clarification.
  • For the month of April, eat only from the Animal kingdom. This means no plants or salads, no vegetable oils, and so on. Dairy is allowed, but could cause problems.

Basics
    1. Eat only from the animal world (meat, eggs, high-fat/low-carb dairy).
    2. Eat nothing from the vegetable world whatsoever (very small amounts of spices may be added, they are not ‘food’).
    3. Drink mostly water, coffee, or tea. Drink nothing sweetened in any way.
    4. No sweeteners.
    Weekly Check-In Should Include
    • Short description of how it's going for you. Anything you think is important or you want to mention.
    Yeah, it's a simple check-in, but it is also a simple lifestyle.

Ad Libitum April
  • Yes, I am bringing it back. I know there are a lot of people who can't/won't do "All Animal April" and I still believe in this challenge. For those who weren't here last April, I am anti-calorie counting (restriction). I believe you don't need to restrict. Naturally, most people here argued against me. We had a challenge to see how wrong I was. Generally, those who participated did well. I think we had a couple people not lose weight, but they also didn't gain. I also recall someone dropping out. I can explain more of the logic, for those who are interested.

This is not for the faint-hearted. It does take a lot of trust in the effectiveness of carb restriction.
  • FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Who here is down for a month of not counting calories? Want to see if you can live like the crazies? Here's a chance to try it out for yourself. Or, if you're already doing it, here's a chance to officially track how it's working for you. I'll obviously be sticking to my usual goals: no plants (so trace carbs only) and no counting or measuring of anything but my weight.

Basics
    1. You can log your food, so long as you don't change how much you eat based on the calories.
    2. You don't need to log, if you don't want to.
    3. Your carb goal should be the only thing you count, if you include carbs, and should be strictly stayed under.
    4. You should make note of when you include sugar-alcohols and if you counted those carbs. Some people find that those do end up still counting.
    5. You should check in weekly* (Friday 4/1, 4/8, 4/15, 4/22, and Sunday 5/1).
    6. You should try and stay in for the whole month. If nothing else, you'll prove to me you couldn't do it and still lose weight. :wink:

Weekly Check-In Should Include
    • Carb Goal:
    • Starting Weight (or 0.0):
    • Current Weight (or total change from starting weight):
    • Short description of how it's going for you. Anything you think is important or you want to mention.

Note: You can use weight or just the overall change in your weight. I'll actually be using my trend-weight on each day. You can do a "Change in weight" track, if you would prefer people not know your actual weight. That would be a starting weight of 0.0, and then you would add or subtract the difference each week..

Example of same person, different ways:
    Weight:
    (4/1, 184.0) (4/8, 185.3) (4/15, 184.2) (4/22, 182.9) (5/1, 181.1)

Change:
    (4/1, 0.0) (4/8, +1.3) (4/15, +0.2) (4/22, -1.1) (5/1, -2.9)

Obviously, I hope it goes better than that for people who try this. :smiley:

* Yes, I realize that the final check-in is more than a week. But, that does give us the whole month worth and it was that or have one on the 29th and then another three days later. I'll also be creating a thread (hopefully the night before) for the check-ins. So, that will help remind people of the dates.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Would inclusion of MCT oil void the all animal option? I don't want to give that up since I use it as part of my ADHD treatment and my new RX is 10mg lower than before :smile:
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be good to balance out your omega's with some plant-based oils? Or are you not concerned because it's only for one month?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Wouldn't it be good to balance out your omega's with some plant-based oils? Or are you not concerned because it's only for one month?

My opinion on this is animal omega 3's are far superior to any vegetarian option with the exception of algae sources.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Would inclusion of MCT oil void the all animal option? I don't want to give that up since I use it as part of my ADHD treatment and my new RX is 10mg lower than before :smile:

I think that would be ok. Like all things, you have to tweak the rules to make them work for yourself.

One of the primary benefits of removing all plant-based oils is the removal of the source of excessively imbalanced omega-6 fatty acids. All this concern about omegas comes from the fact that the standard diet is full of vegetable oils. The second source is nuts (which are also out on this way of eating). There's ample omega fatty acids, in near optimal ratios, in meat.

For me, this is not one month. This is my life. I take it very seriously and go to great lengths to avoid plant oils whenever possible. Do you know how hard it is to make a "good" bacon-grease mayo? It's nearly impossible! But, it is that or live without mayo at all (which is actually what I do most of the time). Plant oils are harmful. Avoid them, even if you're not going to do the Animal Foods only. Find healthier oils that work instead.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think I'm up for the "Ad Libitum April", with a 20g carb limit. I don't think I'm ready for an all meat challenge - *yet*. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    For those of you interested in "Ad Lib April," I recommend reading the thread that inspired it. The thread I link to here started a side discussion about whether or not it could work for more than just a few people. That eventually led to having it as a group challenge. If you want to do it, there's benefit in understanding the logic behind it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10093268/doesnt-counting-calories-count/p1
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Let's take a look at low-carb plans/gurus and see how they align with calorie counting:

I could probably go on, but what's the point. The basic fact is that traditionally, low carb diets do not require counting calories. Many of them advise against it. While you can certainly count calories (if that's your thing), it is not part of most traditional low carb diets.

While, I accept that many people will have to count (due to whatever behavioral or biological conditions which low-carb doesn't correct), that doesn't mean counting calories should be the default condition or advice around here.

It should also be noted, none of these plans are saying "intentionally eat way over your TDEE every day."
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Question:
    Since I use MFP in mobile, exclusively, If I apply the calorie hiding script on PC, will it continue to hide calories on the phone app?
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In (for both)! I've been largely zero carb/carnivore for the last couple weeks and felt great, so I like the challenge to tighten it up.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm trialling 'all animal' this week, although I haven't yet dropped my sweetener or my coconut oil for my coffee. I'm usually low carb anyway (aiming for <20 per day) but I'm feeling much hungrier after only 2 days of this, although this may be my body still recovering from a long swim at the end of last week, I may need to increase my calorie intake if I'm going to keep this up for anything more than a few days. If I can survive this week I'll keep it going until my sister's wedding at the end of April.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I am very excited about Ad Libitum April! I am in! It's a little scary since I'm trying to maintain/recomp now so I feel like it could be easier to "fall off the wagon." I might count servings of carb-containing foods but not log (e.g. aim for a certain number of veggie servings per day, 1 serving of nuts, etc. but eat the zero-carb foods to satiety).

I might do one week carnivore, too, but we'll have to see. I'm trying to be Wahls-ish until I start my new MS med on 4/8 and I might not want to mess with my diet for a bit after that until I get a feel for whether it causes GI side effects like my previous one did.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Question:
    Since I use MFP in mobile, exclusively, If I apply the calorie hiding script on PC, will it continue to hide calories on the phone app?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The script is modifying how the specific browser is displaying. So if we are using a different browser or device, it isn't going to work.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    In for Ad Lib April btw.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    In for Ad Lib April btw.

I'm also in. Since I follow Atkins, he also recommends not counting calories, but carbs. It will be a good chance to learn when I'm physically full. I have issues with distinguishing the difference between emotional and physical fullness. Time to get over it I think!
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

One of the primary benefits of removing all plant-based oils is the removal of the source of excessively imbalanced omega-6 fatty acids. All this concern about omegas comes from the fact that the standard diet is full of vegetable oils. The second source is nuts (which are also out on this way of eating). There's ample omega fatty acids, in near optimal ratios, in meat.

For me, this is not one month. This is my life. I take it very seriously and go to great lengths to avoid plant oils whenever possible. Do you know how hard it is to make a "good" bacon-grease mayo? It's nearly impossible! But, it is that or live without mayo at all (which is actually what I do most of the time). Plant oils are harmful. Avoid them, even if you're not going to do the Animal Foods only. Find healthier oils that work instead.

Thank you for the good explanation! I'm still un-learning some conventional nutrition ;)

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What about processed meats, like sausages containing a couple of grams of carbs?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm in for All Animal April. I am going to be counting calories though. I am curious as to how well the TDEE calculators actually predict TDEE. I get between 1500 and just over 1700 kcals for my sedentary TDEE but that seems low. I seem to be able to eat more than that lately and not gain weight. Is a calorie just a calorie? Doubt it.

I am starting early with the week long bacon challenge that was mentioned a few weeks ago. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348067/what-happens-when-you-eat-nothing-but-bacon-for-30-days-straight I plan to eat about 1600 kcals of just bacon, plus one tablespoon of coconut oil in coffee, until Saturday night (Easter dinner) at which time I will reintroduce other animal products (meats and eggs - no cheese *sob*). I'll still keep my calories at about 1600.

My weight has been pretty stalled at about 150-151 lbs for about 4-5 months. At the most I am losing half a pound per month. Not bad but I'd still like to be in the 140's, after breakfast, with winter clothing on. I am hoping to lose a couple of pounds but I will stick to about 1600 kcal per day; trying not to let it dip below 1400 or go over 1800.

I am hoping this will have a positive effect on my fasting blood glucose too which has been drifting upwards over the last few months (especially this past month - possibly due to autoimmune issues). I will be incorporating some exercise into this month so that may have an effect too - not a very pure experiment but oh well.

Starting weight (3/21): 150.8 lbs

FBG (3/21): 5.7 (~103)
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in and I'm going to try both. My only issue is gonna be the coconut oil I use for my "bulletproof broth". Other than that I've been pretty much vlc for a few weeks now.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Since I started on Saturday I'll post my starting details:
    18/3 Weight 155.6
    Waist at narrowest point 30.5
    Hips at widest point 39.5
    (BMI 29.29)
    (Body fat calculated 27.25)

I've upped my calorie goal to 1800 for a few days, if I can find a sweet spot where I feel like I'm eating enough without gaining weight I may try to eat just to hunger.
    My weight is down 1lb since Saturday but that's pretty standard day-to-day fluctuation.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna jump on all-animal April, but only for a week - have family coming in to town the second weekend of April, and it's tough enough explaining why I don't eat fruit. The no sweetner thing will be my biggest hurdle, but if I can do it for a week, then I'll be able to do it for longer in May.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in for the Ad Lib challenge!