Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    @Aine8046 How'd the race go? :smile:

Instead of running yesterday I took a hike, managed to get 20k steps (over 9.5 miles!) but it turned my 2 days off from running into 4. :neutral: May stay on week 7 for a little longer, but that's alright. Hoping to run tomorrow, but we'll see what my feet say. I'm not used to going more than 10k steps! When I got up today I was surprised; not very sore at all, my feet are just a little tender. I'm exhausted though, may take a nap, haha.

I know this isn't a C25K update, really, it's just so quiet in here. :smiley:
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, guys, I finished in 31:30! Very happy! It was nice - cold and sunny, and the crowd was very supportive and cheerful! :)

Seven weeks ago I was 168 lbs and was able to run about 2 min non-stop. So started with week 3 and made it all the way to week 9! As of this morning I am 157 lbs and was able to run my 5k non-stop in under 32 min. I did all my training on the treadmill (with some incline), and was concerned the actual race will be much more difficult, but this was not the case! :) You all can do it too - good luck to all of you! I am off to train for a 10k race in 10 weeks! :)

6rdexu0f1alz.jpg
    5k.JPG 599.8K
  • Aine8046
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also, I could not fine 10k group, so I'll stick with you guys working on my 10 weeks to 10k! :)
  • youstolemyusernamex
    youstolemyusernamex Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's my week one, second day and it went well :smile: I'm excited for more to come! Bring it on!
  • xLyric
    Options
    @Aine8046 Way to go, you did great! :smiley: Here's a link, but I don't think anyone will complain if you stick around! B210K Group

@youstolemyusernamex Welcome to the group!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Good for you @Aine8046 ! It must feel great to have actually done a 5K run. It's good to see everyone working at the program, at all different levels.

I did W3D1 again today. After the last 3 days of relative inactivity, (I managed some indoor walking 2 of the days, but nothing at all strenuous) I wasn't sure I was ready to tackle running at all today, but I did it. I ran quite slowly, but didn't have to drop to a walk on the long run uphill like I did last week. We'll see how this week goes. I think we've got more weather coming, although I hope not another blizzard like last week.
  • xLyric
    edited March 2016
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Good for you @Aine8046 ! It must feel great to have actually done a 5K run. It's good to see everyone working at the program, at all different levels.

I did W3D1 again today. After the last 3 days of relative inactivity, (I managed some indoor walking 2 of the days, but nothing at all strenuous) I wasn't sure I was ready to tackle running at all today, but I did it. I ran quite slowly, but didn't have to drop to a walk on the long run uphill like I did last week. We'll see how this week goes. I think we've got more weather coming, although I hope not another blizzard like last week.

It's starting to get truly warm here; a blizzard would be amazing! Congrats on the hill! Those are my favorite signs of improvement; obvious little things you can do now that were too hard before! :smiley:

W7D2 done! It felt really great, I'm mad that I didn't have my music revelation earlier because it really feels like it helps. I was worried that four days away from running would mean a bad run tonight, but it was great!
  • NancyN795
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    NancyN795 wrote: »

It's starting to get truly warm here; a blizzard would be amazing! Congrats on the hill! Those are my favorite signs of improvement; obvious little things you can do now that were too hard before! :smiley:

W7D2 done! It felt really great, I'm mad that I didn't have my music revelation earlier because it really feels like it helps. I was worried that four days away from running would mean a bad run tonight, but it was great!

It's normal springtime in Colorado - 70 degrees one day, a blizzard the next, back up to 70 a few days later, and so on. This blizzard just happened to be particularly disruptive to what I was involved with because it shut down the airport and highways just as teams were trying to get into Denver for the robotics tournament. As far as the hill... that was the easy one. Most of it is pretty gentle. I haven't had to run up the bigger, steeper hills yet. Once I advance to week 4, I will probably have to run up the first steep hill.
  • xLyric
    Options
    Went for W7D3 (25 minute run) and ran a full 30 minutes! I was planning on trying for 28 just so I was still on track after skipping a day, and I felt good so I kept going. I'm so happy! It was a weird run; had I not been having stomach cramps it would have been a super easy run, no soreness or anything, but the lady pains made me almost quit a couple of times.

Since I still technically have a week to go I'm going to aim for 30 for the next 2 runs but be happy with 28 if that's what happens. Sister has been having some calf pain so she went back to W6D2, so I'll probably hold off on moving too far ahead (like the B210K program) until she's caught up. We'll see though.
  • xLyric
    Options
    Also, if anyone else is super slow and runs at 3.7 ish, "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen and "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar are really awesome at getting you to kick it up a bit! Those two songs in particular just get my knees up, haha.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @xLyric well done on doing 30 minutes :) Thanks for the song recommendations, I think I will download them as Im always looking for good songs!

I did W9D1 today, my pace was slower for some reason, I think it may be because I was wary of tiring out too quickly. Hopefully by the end of the week my pace will increase!
  • youstolemyusernamex
    youstolemyusernamex Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first day of week 3! I'm so phyched I ran for 3 minutes..TWICE!!A week ago I would even believe I could run for a minute :smiley:
  • xLyric
    Options
    @youstolemyusernamex That's fantastic, well done! :smiley:

@amber_beaney You're so close! Apologies if you've said before, but what do you plan on doing once you finish?
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Thank you all guys for your support! Started my 10k training today - W1D1is done!
  • NancyN795
    Options
    @youstolemyusernamex - I'm always surprised when I can do something that previously sounded completely unobtainable. C25K is a great program for proving that we can do what seems impossible, if we take it slowly.

I did W3D2 yesterday. Not fast, but I got out there and did it despite the weather starting to turn (again). I'm probably not going to do W3D3 until Friday because the weather is supposed to stay bad tomorrow. After that, the forecast is looking pretty good, so I'm hoping to make good progress.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @youstolemyusernamex Well done! It's a great feeling isn't it, we shock ourselves at what we can actually do sometimes haha.

@xLyric I'm not 100% sure yet, I think first of all I will need to focus on actualy running 5Km, as I am a little bit short of 5Km at the moment. So I'll probably work on getting to 5Km and then try increasing my distance a little bit each week too. :D

@Aine8046 Well done! How many weeks if your 10K training programme? I am intrigued to hear how you get on with it, as I might do the same later on in the year myself.

W9D2 will be tomorrow morning for me. Cant wait to finish week 9 now, I never thought I'd actually be able to complete it haha!

Well done everyone, keep on keeping on! :smile:
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    @Aine8046 Great job! Very impressive! Good luck with your 10K training! Keep checking in!

@amber_beaney you are so close! Keep it up! You're right there!

@xLyric good job, and I'm all about the music, too!

So... I haven't checked in for a quite a while. I got very sick after my root canal last Tuesday. That Wednesday I got my W8D1 run in (30 mins), and it was downhill after that. Turns out I had another infection in there that flared up big time. By Thursday I was in so much pain I couldn't even think. By Friday I was home in bed with a fever, couldn't keep food down, hadn't slept in 3 days from the pain, etc. I lost 4 pounds from Thursday to Saturday. So, I needed some time to get my strength back and feel better.

Since it had been 9 days, I wasn't sure if I should back track or press on. I went for W8D2. What the heck? I was feeling okay, breathing was good, felt relatively strong considering, but I had to back off about 20 minutes in because my right hip (or the front side of my hip) became sore and painful to the point where my gait was starting to change (limp) so I just backed off, walked another 5 minutes to cool down, and called it a day. So I got 20 minutes in (about 2 miles). Not too bad for taking 9 days off and being sick.

I'll get back on it again on Sunday, do a lot of stretching, and try to knock out W8D2 again. I think I'll be okay in a few days, just needed to work back up to it.

Keep on keeping on, everyone!
  • ZombieMomTreks
    ZombieMomTreks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K again. Put a bunch of weight back on after a hospitalization last summer and barely being able to walk for around 6 months after that. Doing weights now as well, mainly focusing on my arms right now.
    Week 2, day 3 this morning and I ran a few extra minutes at the end. I'm a slow runner as well.
    All treadmill runs. I walk the dog on trails by our house on off days too.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W3D3 done. This time I plan to progress to Week 4. The weather is looking good for about the next week (although it was a little chilly and windy today) and I don't think I have any life complications coming up that will interfere, either. So, I have no excuse to not go on to the next week.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    @Aine8046 Well done! How many weeks if your 10K training programme? I am intrigued to hear how you get on with it, as I might do the same later on in the year myself.

It's 10 weeks. I adapted one of Hal Higdon plans:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program
    Two runs per weeks are pretty much always 2-3 miles. The third run increases every week gradually from 3 miles to 6.
    Week1Day2 is done today. Felt tired and did it slower than usual, but still finished...