Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just did W1D1 yesterday and it went well (aside from my flailing arms getting tangled in my headphones cord and sending my phone flying off the treadmill, through my legs, and halfway through the Y - so embarrassing!). It was easier than I thought it would be, so that was encouraging. I plan on running MWF and doing my normal recumbent biking workouts the other days. I live in WI and I am a weenie when it comes to cold, so my plan is to do the program once all the way through on the treadmill and then hopefully it will be warm enough for me to start again outside. I signed up for a 5k on April 25th, so that is my motivation. That is about 14 weeks away, so hopefully I have given myself enough time! I'm actually excited to do W1D2 tomorrow!
  • iainletham61
    Options
    Just completed D1W4 was a bit worried increasing to the 5 min run but if you stay focused on your pace and breathing its okay, had to really push myself the last minute of the second 5 main run but I made it so I'm well chuffed. Laura's tip on the NHS podcast at W3 about breathing in and out over 4 strides really helps in W4, it takes a bit of concentration to get into a rhythm but once you are it feels like you could keep going no problem.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    After a week and a half off (yikes! - wasn't feeling great, but to be honest I mostly attribute the break to laziness), I was back at Week 5 today. I wanted to repeat Day 2, as I thought after taking the time off, I shouldn't head right into that 20 minute run.

Well, somehow, my phone app put me on Day 3 anyway, and I only realized it when I had already started. So rather than try to reset the app, I thought, "what the heck - I'll try it!" I got through 15 minutes, and had to walk the rest. But I'm not disappointed, as I'm POSITIVE I can do the whole 20 minutes the next time I try!!! 15 minutes at one time is longer than I've ever been able to go. I feel great!

One concern I have is that I'm beginning to think I may have mild asthma. I've made a doctor appointment to confirm, but I have all the symptoms, and both my siblings have asthma, so the genetic predisposition is there. It hasn't caused me any significant problems, but I'd rather have an inhaler or be on medication if I need it, if I'm going to continue with this running thing. I'm hoping to do my first 5K in March. :)

Finally, I really love reading everyone's updates here. Kudos to everyone for all the hard work you are doing!
  • chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Completed W2D3. Was a bit rough because I did a leg strength routine last night, but nothing I couldn't handle with a slight decrease in speed. As long as I'm able to run when I'm supposed to I'm happy and stay positive.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Day off yesterday. I got 10,000 steps in (Fitbit) just by general business. Tonight is W1D3 with Chubby Jones talking me through it!
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did Week 2, Day 2 yesterday. I was finally able to run outside but some sidewalks still had slippery spots. I had to be careful, but it got done. Might repeat that workout on Sunday when it's closer to 40 and more ice has melted.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    week 1 complete week 2 starts tomorrow feeling very positive good luck keep up the great work kate :D
  • IndigoSue13
    Options
    I did Week 5 Day 3 again today (since I only managed 15 minutes of it last time) - this time outdoors. I completed the entire 20 minute jog, but had to take a brief pause (very brief) about 3/4 of the way through. I walked for about 20-30 steps to catch my breath, then started the timer again and jogged the rest.

Question: should I attempt to do Day 3 again until I can do it without stopping at all, or should I just move on to Week 6? I think part of the reason I had to walk for just a bit was because the route happened to take me on an uphill area near the end. I've done well on that hill before, but the timing today sucked, as it was right near the end of my most difficult jog yet.

Another question: how accurate would you consider a treadmill pace versus a C25K app? On the treadmill, my jogging pace is 4.2 to 4.3 mph (that's what I set it at for the jogging portions), set at an incline of 2.5. My outdoor pace, according to my app, is 11:47 per mile average. It seems strange that I'm apparently running faster outdoors, because I don't *feel* like I am. Which would you trust - the treadmill or the app? Or are the conditions of each just too different to accurately compare?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just moving on really. It's a framework, and it sounds like you can move forward.

As far as machines are concerned, I wouldn't trust it. Your app is closer to reality. An 11:47 mile isn't shabby, so you could afford to slow down a little to keep the running going all through the interval.
  • IndigoSue13
    Options
    Thank you, MeanderingMammal. I think I will move forward. And I'll try to slow down just a bit, too - I know my pace varied throughout the run, but I was surprised to see such a low average. I really appreciate the advice. :)
  • mishycat74
    mishycat74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Week 1 completed. Actually looking forward to starting week 2 although slightly worried about fitting it in around nights at work.
  • SharonR1972
    SharonR1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 3 Day 3. :smile: I have a 5K next weekend (a little too soon, but it's the Hot Chocolate 5K, so I couldn't resist!). I've questioned moving on at times, but I always seem to make it through.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    W2D1 tonight. I talked my 72 year old dad into joining me on this journey and a race in May. If he can do it so can I!
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Finished week one today. I tried the running portions at 5.5, but I just couldn't do that fast of a run and then walk at a decent pace, so I went back down to 5 for the third through seventh run portions and did the last run at 5.5 for the last one. That seemed to work better. I was going to up the incline on the treadmill today, but forgot. Ooops, hopefully I remember on Wednesday. So far I'm really enjoying the program. Hopefully week two is kind to me :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the gradient, despite the rhetoric on here it really doesn't make a significant difference. I'd suggest just concentrating on the speed.

Well done on the faster finish. It's a good discipline to develop.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    W2D1 finished with a little extra thrown in. After it was done I ran another 90 sec, walked 90, ran 90, then walked another 10 minutes. I had to go slower than last week. But I ran the full time when instructed. This is working!
  • mishycat74
    mishycat74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 finished. Finding it easier since I slowed down slightly from W1D1. I was going to go out this morning after finishing my night shift but the -3 temperature put me off and now I have to admit that I'm glad I waited till after I got up. Normally I complete the warm down walk in the park but because of time constraints with getting ready for work tonight I tried to do it walking home instead and found that it doesn't work cos there are too many roads to cross and I had to keep stopping to wait for traffic lights. :\
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I did C25K in 2013 and ran my first 5k in Sept 2013. I loved it....weather got cold and dark and it has taken me this long to get back on the wagon!!!! I finished W3D1 today. This time I started on the treadmill so hopefully next winter I won't have such a hard time getting back on the treadmill. When I started jogging in my early 20's (a million years ago) I loved the treadmill...now I hate it. Trying to love it again!

Great job to everyone who got out there and did their thing today!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 2 and feeling nervous about Week 3 - running for 3 minutes straight seems like a lot more than twice as much as 90 seconds! LOL :smiley:
  • adomater
    adomater Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Found this group today and thought I would join. I finished W3D2 today and all went well. I enjoy the gradual yet challenging progressions that help me feel that there is improvement happening. I am gearing up for a 5k run on April 11.