Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• iainletham61
    Options
    Fafern wrote: »
    I finished W1D1 yesterday on the treadmill with the C25K app from Zen Labs. I've tried starting C25K before but haven't made it out of week 1 yet. I'm happy that I don't feel too sore today on my rest day.

I think in the past I tried going too fast too soon. I used to run ages and ages ago, but never more than 2-3 miles at a time. I tend to get shin splints so I'm trying to start slow and steady to avoid injury this time around. I really like the idea of this check-in thread to stick with the program.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Good advice best to take it easy, finished W1 D3 yesterday and the front off my lower legs are aching today, I'm on a rest day today and if still sore in the morning iI'l wait till Saturday before progressing to W2D1,

• 50sthenew30
    50sthenew30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    W2D1 sorted. Felt good although shouldnt have done weights yesterday. Thought it might be a good idea to split cardio and weights. Not going to happen. Will do them both on the same day.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually just lurk to read comments & y'all are a great source of motivation for me. Now the reason I've stepped from the shadows to post: W5D3 ! DONE!!

Actually completed last night, and felt great. Rested well, and do not even feel tired this morning even though I thought I would after running for that long. Both of my knees feel a little weird (loose maybe, slight discomfort going down stairs). But, I've taken some ibuprofen and rubbed a little 'heat' on them and seem good to go :) Resting today - no weights or cardio - so that I can keep this C25K thing going!
  • chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Completed the first one today. I ran it on the treadmill (not my first choice), but it was colder than I would prefer to run outside. Hopefully this cold spell won't last long so I can continue outside.
  • kimmyisla
    Options
    Hi everyone Today i completed day one of week one, and im so proud of myself, Really looking forward to day two, I would love some support on the way, please add me xx
  • iainletham61
    Options
    D1W2 sorted and D1 stop smoking tomorrow so everything's good
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    labyars wrote: »
    I usually just lurk to read comments & y'all are a great source of motivation for me. Now the reason I've stepped from the shadows to post: W5D3 ! DONE!!

Actually completed last night, and felt great. Rested well, and do not even feel tired this morning even though I thought I would after running for that long. Both of my knees feel a little weird (loose maybe, slight discomfort going down stairs). But, I've taken some ibuprofen and rubbed a little 'heat' on them and seem good to go :) Resting today - no weights or cardio - so that I can keep this C25K thing going!

Way to go, Labyars!!! W5D3 is a tough one -- I'm a little scared of it.

And hooray for everyone else who is plugging along. It's difficult at times, but so worth it. :smiley:

• iainletham61
    Options
    kimmyisla wrote: »
    Hi everyone Today i completed day one of week one, and im so proud of myself, Really looking forward to day two, I would love some support on the way, please add me xx

Well done Kimmy you've made the first step so you should be proud .....well done
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Lots of new voices here, welcome! And yes, just take things slowly so the body has time to adapt. If things feel horribly awkward, heavy, or such, just go even slower. I thought I'd never get out of weeks 2 and 3 until I got the advice here to go slowly. That changed everything. Well done everyone!
  • WoahSheRuns
    WoahSheRuns Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Still going strong - W4D1 today, and my first time going a full 5k!! If I can do this, anyone can!
  • chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    W1D2 completed. Now to stave off the motivation/energy drainer called work. I always go into work with all intentions of going to the gym after, but when my 13 hour shift is over I have a very hard time going anywhere but home and to bed.
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Starting over...."graduated Sept 2013" but then had surgery and then started a new job and haven't ran since :( completed w1d1 this morning before work....at 2:30am....hoping to find the motivation to keep getting up early enough to run!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    cjohn2278 wrote: »
    Starting over...."graduated Sept 2013" but then had surgery and then started a new job and haven't ran since :( completed w1d1 this morning before work....at 2:30am....hoping to find the motivation to keep getting up early enough to run!

Sorry about surgery and challenges to find/make the time to run. But you know, this programme is something even very experienced runners go back to if they have major surgery or get injured somehow, then have to take a complete break from running, so if you stick to it and take just one day at a time, I'm sure you'll find your rhythm soon enough.

As you can see, there are many new faces here, so you're in good company. Start small with easily achieved tasks such as locate your running shoes and other gear, charge the iPod if that's what you're using, check out the programme structure again and take a peek at an app if that's your choice of support during running, and so on.

If you're in a cold climate, also learn about layering well for temperatures below freezing point (there's a thread in the sticky posts for the purpose). And read the threads in this group, enthusiasm is contagious!
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D2 today! I'm actually pretty proud of myself getting this far. I'm looking forward to each C25K day. :)
  • iainletham61
    Options
    Just finished W2D2 as well, the aches in the shins have disappeared so all is good, really enjoying this.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Restarting C25K for the second time. I started last year, but stopped before week 5 after rolling my ankle pretty badly (non-running related). It took its sweet time getting stronger and then ... summer!
    It's still hot and humid now, but I went out and shuffled myself through W1D1. I'm happy with my pace and time so far. W1D2 Thursday or Friday me thinks.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I love coming back to this thread from time to time to see all the new runners! I started with c25k in April of 2013 having done zero running before that. I am now in the middle of training for my first half marathon!

There is a Jantastic challenge going on if you need extra motivation to get moving. Go to jantastic.me to join. There is a group called "mfp runners". You set your goal of number of run, bike, or swim days per week that you want to do.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    week 1day 1 done xxx
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Fafern wrote: »
    I finished W1D1 yesterday on the treadmill with the C25K app from Zen Labs. I've tried starting C25K before but haven't made it out of week 1 yet. I'm happy that I don't feel too sore today on my rest day.

I think in the past I tried going too fast too soon. I used to run ages and ages ago, but never more than 2-3 miles at a time. I tend to get shin splints so I'm trying to start slow and steady to avoid injury this time around. I really like the idea of this check-in thread to stick with the program.

Happy New Year, everyone!
    getting fitted at a running store has all but taken care of my chronic shinsplints. I put up with it for about three months before I committed to me shoes. In the meantime I iced them and used my foam roller.

• LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello! I haven't posted in the last few weeks as I travelled home for Christmas and wasn't online much.

However, despite the eating, drinking and merriness, I kept up the programme, and on January 2nd I ran my first5 k. I did not do it continuously - it was only 2 days after I finished week 8, and was averaging 3-3.5k run non-stop. Nevertheless, I didn't walk longer than 30 seconds when I had to, so I did run most of it - my 5k time was 41 minutes 28 seconds, so I'm happy with that.
    And last November 4th I struggled 60 seconds.

Very happy with myself, and this programme!

I plan now to repeat week 8 several times just to work on stamina and speed, and build up to a stronger 5k.