Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Finished W7D2 after work today! My first 5k is Jan 10th so after graduation I have a 3 week plan to get me up to 35 minutes. It still wont be long enough but Im excited to try. I will do day 3 tomorrow. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Miss Rose! If you can do a 5K in 35 minutes, you're faster than I am. I'm close to that (37-39 minutes) but not that quick. You are doing great!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Week 3 is done! Week 4... here I come - Don't kill me.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, Today was a struggle.

After doing so well and feeling great throughout week 5, I hit a bit of a wall today.

I went out for W6D1 today after 2 days' rest - 2 days of work christmas party and indulgence... - went out to a glorious morning in the park thinking how easy today would be. 5 mins, 8 mins, 5 mins. Boy was I wrong.

I couldn't finish the first 5 minutes. First time ever in this programme I haven't finished a session properly. I completed the 8 minutes, then the last set of 5 minutes was a complete struggle. I barely made it.

What has happened?? Where's my mojo?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nice effort, everyone!
    Well, Today was a struggle.

After doing so well and feeling reat throughout week 5, I hit a bit of a wall today.

I went ou for W6D1 today after 2 days' rest - 2 days of work christmas party and indulgence... - went out to a glorious morning in the park thinking how easy today would be. 5 mins, 8 mins, 5 mins. Boy was I wrong.

I couldn't finish the first 5 minutes. First time ever in this programme I haven't finished a session properly. I completed the 8 minutes, then the last set of 5 minutes was a complete struggle. I barely made it.

Oh, it's called "a bad run" is all. Sooner or later we all have them. In fact, the worst run of my life was such a ridiculous experience from start to finish that I recorded it as a blog post here.

Don't overthink it, it is what it is, and congrats, you're a really real runner now! It could be anything - bad sleep, something stressing you, temperature not quite right and you being cranky unbeknownst to you, slightly too underhydrated or undernourished, or simply a bad day.

Just because you had one bad run, doesn't mean that the next one will be bad. It could be the best one of your life for all you know (or rather don't know). Or it could be mediocre or satisfactory or excellent. In my book, all that matters is you head out there and get something done, because a bad run is better than no run at all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Bad runs happen. As you develop as a runner you'll manage to join the dots on what the cause might have been, but equally it might just have been a bad run.

The main thing is to make a judgement on whether you want to move on, or whether you want to re-do the session, then act on that. Personally I'd suggest just moving on,

One of my worst was during a run that would be, for me, fairly short. I did an 8Km trail session and it was miserable; bleeding nipples, blisters, sore feet, exhausted and physcially sore. Two days later I went out and did a half marathon distance quite comfortably.

• PaytraB
    Options

Agree with the others. This is a bad run. They happen to all of us and usually come out of the blue. I've gone out for a run, feeling energetic and eager, only to find that I can't run that day. It's very frustrating.
    Good thing is, though, that usually the run after a bad run is a very good run.
    Don't give up. Chalk it up to a bad run, don't be discouraged and get back out there in a day or two.
  • I was planning to do W5D3 today but my daughter got diagnosed with strep and I can't take her to the gym like that. :frowning: I am hoping to do it tomorrow but after this break I may do W5D2 one more time to have solid momentum to W5D3. I will see how I feel when I get to the gym tomorrow.

Lazybuthealthy--So sorry to hear about the bad run, but I hope that PaytraB is right and your next run will be great. :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aw, you're all so very sweet! I appreciate the advice and reassurance.

I'll see how tomorrow evening goes ;)

I'm beginning to think though that I'm generally better in the evenings than the mornings. As meandering said, I'll monitor the bad runs to see particular cause and if things like the time of day are a factor, or the fact that I had a party 36 hours before!

Onwards and upwards.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Aw, you're all so very sweet! I appreciate the advice and reassurance.

I'll see how tomorrow evening goes ;)

I'm beginning to think though that I'm generally better in the evenings than the mornings. As meandering said, I'll monitor the bad runs to see particular cause and if things like the time of day are a factor, or the fact that I had a party 36 hours before!

Onwards and upwards.

I attribute my bad run on Sunday afternoon to an over indulgence on Saturday night! Right back at it today, though!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'll monitor the bad runs to see particular cause and if things like the time of day are a factor.

The value of a training log :). I use the comments box to track some comments and, in Endomondo, hashtags that describe it; cold, warm, trail, hills etc.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'll monitor the bad runs to see particular cause and if things like the time of day are a factor.

The value of a training log :). I use the comments box to track some comments and, in Endomondo, hashtags that describe it; cold, warm, trail, hills etc.

I'm about to start a journal (notebook) with everything; running (incl. cross-training etc. that goes with the programme du jour), bodyweight training, yoga, sleep quality, mood, weather, nutrition overview (not calories, they will stay here only), stress, hormonal cycle, migraines, etc. It isn't a stupid idea at all to understand oneself better.
  • Lavenda93
    Lavenda93 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I completed W7D1, but instead of a 25min jog, I was able to jog for 28mins albeit at a snail's pace, so yay for me!! When I was done, I almost did my happy dance but I was worried what passer-bys would think! On to crush D2!!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    That's a wonderful run, Lavenda! You're doing great!
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Lavenda93 wrote: »
    I completed W7D1, but instead of a 25min jog, I was able to jog for 28mins albeit at a snail's pace, so yay for me!! When I was done, I almost did my happy dance but I was worried what passer-bys would think! On to crush D2!!

Excellent!!

I'm gonna have a show down with W6D2 tonight...
  • Lavenda93
    Options
    Lavenda93 wrote: »

Excellent!!

I'm gonna have a show down with W6D2 tonight...

Thanks. Hope you have a great run!
  • Lavenda93
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    That's a wonderful run, Lavenda! You're doing great!

Thanks alot! It felt great to accomplish that much!
  • healthierdaydreams
    Options
    W1D1 for me today. Spontaneously dragged the treadmill out of its hiding place in the garage!

Looking forward to W1D2, which will likely be Thursday for me.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W1D1 for me today. Spontaneously dragged the treadmill out of its hiding place in the garage!

Looking forward to W1D2, which will likely be Thursday for me.

Well done! And since I haven't seen you post before, welcome to the group, too!
  • carmenFL1560
    carmenFL1560 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This morning I finished W8D2. Phew... I was a little bit faster thank the run before but still slow... I am still way under 3.1 miles, but love the feeling that I can run 28 minutes without stopping. I can't believe there are 4 runs left and I will graduate the program! Yes, dear friends, this program really works.. Just take one step at a time... and enjoy the progress.