Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• I don't usually skip cool down--it was a one time thing because of running out of time during my lunch break at work. It's a big part of why I don't consider W5D1 done--I didn't do that part.

BTW loved the article!

So I went to the park. I didn't end up staying for an entire session because it got dark too fast and made it so I couldn't keep an eye on my daughter while I was doing it. But I did job for a full five minutes, which was something that I have never done off of a treadmill and it felt awesome! I even talked to my daughter about going to that park more often when the sun is out so I could do more outdoor training. It will probably only happen on the weekends but I think it will be a nice addition to my training. :smile:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!! That sounds like a great run. I'm really happy that you had such a good outdoor run, PhoenixRising. Running outdoors is incredible throughout the spring, summer and fall. Keep having fun.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Completed W3... at 93 kg, I barely run, slow jogging (so slow that people could walk past me) is what gets me to the mark. However, I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that as the weight comes off and endurance builds, I may be able to run and not merely jog...
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I went to the park. I didn't end up staying for an entire session because it got dark too fast and made it so I couldn't keep an eye on my daughter while I was doing it. But I did job for a full five minutes, which was something that I have never done off of a treadmill and it felt awesome! I even talked to my daughter about going to that park more often when the sun is out so I could do more outdoor training. It will probably only happen on the weekends but I think it will be a nice addition to my training. :smile:

Told you you might fall for the park!

I love running outside.

Plus, you're giving a healthy example to your daughter!
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Completed W3... at 93 kg, I barely run, slow jogging (so slow that people could walk past me) is what gets me to the mark. However, I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that as the weight comes off and endurance builds, I may be able to run and not merely jog...

Absolutely. Have to start somewhere!!

I was 96kg, down to 92/93 kg when I started MFP and C25K.
    Now at 88kg.

You're doing it!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't usually skip cool down--it was a one time thing because of running out of time during my lunch break at work. It's a big part of why I don't consider W5D1 done--I didn't do that part.

BTW loved the article!

Great update, glad you liked the article too.

People have walked past me and I walk quicker than I run at times, because running is very different from walking. Don't worry about speed, everyone who is more advanced, says that once you build distance, you will automatically become faster, too, eventually.

As a newbie the only things you should focus on are not going too quickly as well as building distance up to 5K if you - like so many others - don't run the full 5K yet when done with C25K.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...So...guess what...2 years after starting running I am the proud finisher of my first marathon! Finished the St. Jude Half Marathon in Memphis, TN with a time of 5:29:41. The goal was to finish and that I did. What an experience! That was the best/hardest/suckiest/awesomiest/emotionalist/craziest day of my life! And I can't wait to do it again next year! Complete your goals, set new ones....always keep pushing!
  • Congrats SchweddyGirl!!!!

So I did W5D1 in its entirety today. I remember counting through every ten second segment of the jogs but I did them all. And I felt like I earned that 5 minute cool down walk. LOL

At this rate, I may be at W5D3 by Saturday. :neutral_face:
  • archanajoyce
    Options

Now at 88kg.

You're doing it!

Thanks and wow... I would love to break the 90s :) Does it get easier as you loose weight?
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    I don't usually skip cool down--it was a one time thing because of running out of time during my lunch break at work. It's a big part of why I don't consider W5D1 done--I didn't do that part.

BTW loved the article!

Great update, glad you liked the article too.

People have walked past me and I walk quicker than I run at times, because running is very different from walking. Don't worry about speed, everyone who is more advanced, says that once you build distance, you will automatically become faster, too, eventually.

As a newbie the only things you should focus on are not going too quickly as well as building distance up to 5K if you - like so many others - don't run the full 5K yet when done with C25K.

That is good advice. I'll concentrate on building endurance now and worry about the distance later on. As I'm asthmatic, I constantly worry about pushing myself too hard that I bring it on but reading through many of the previous posts have made me realise that running has to be uncomplicated. Just run... Just run :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    running has to be uncomplicated. Just run... Just run :)

Indeed. One foot in front of the other, repeat...
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Congrats SchweddyGirl!!!!

So I did W5D1 in its entirety today. I remember counting through every ten second segment of the jogs but I did them all. And I felt like I earned that 5 minute cool down walk. LOL

At this rate, I may be at W5D3 by Saturday. :neutral_face:

great!

I have W5D1 this evening...
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options

Now at 88kg.

You're doing it!

Thanks and wow... I would love to break the 90s :) Does it get easier as you loose weight?

Honestly I wasn't paying attention!

All my focus was on the C25K, and then I started with the calories and MFP.
    I bought my first ever weighing scales, so I'm down 17lb since I was weighed at the doctors in spring of this year - I am just assuming that most of it is from the last 2/3 months. I was thrilled, for sure, but my goal first and foremost is running and being generally healthy - the weight is secondary and I'm sure will follow as long as I monitor calories.

In a way, the runs get easier the more I run - my knees feel stronger, my lungs feel healthier and better, I'm growing in confidence... whether weight or practice, I don't know. I just know that each challenge on the C25K I've been able to meet head on. And I do mean with my head - it's often a psychological battle against years of 'I can't do this' to 'I bloody well can, and I WILL, dammit!!"

This evening I'm in to week 5... so if I achieve Day 3 later this week, I'll be thrilled.
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Finished week 6! I cant believe I am almost to the end.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Excellent!

I'm just back W5D1..
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nice going, ladies. The "I bloody well can" attitude stems in trusting the programme, which is built also for unfit people, not just those who are fit but not runners yet. As long as you don't overdo, you will be able to stick to it.

If it doesn't work, troubleshooting is in order and I had to do just that in week 3, with the advice "Slow down, woman" to follow from a wise graduate of C25K. It felt like a miracle to fix it that quickly and easily. I still carry excess weight but running for 30 minutes is no problem in general.

Remember to be kind to yourself, though, because the bad runs will hit you eventually and everyone has them. Currently I'm in the worst rut of my running "career", but reading here and talking about running makes me feel more motivated again, so you couchers truly inspire graduates, too. The enthusiasm is infectious and I thank you for that :)
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Back from W5 D2.

Instead of 8mins x 2, I did an 8 minute run, and then a 10 minute run.

And I felt great. Definitely more confident and psyched up for the W5D3 session!!

Couldn't have imagined this a few weeks ago!!!
  • Awesome LazyButHealthy!

I did W5D2 today. I had no desire to turn one of the 8 minute segments into a 10 minute segment but I was super proud to finish them both. I think I may do another session of this day on Friday and tackle D3 on Sunday.

It is awesome to jog for 8 minutes straight but I so wish I could fit more outdoor runs into my routine. The treadmill is okay but that spot outside the window does not really get enough action. Maybe I will try watching a show on netflix and see if that helps. :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options

W5D3 DONE!

DONE AND DUSTED!

2 days rest before I start W6.
  • ggoss10
    ggoss10 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So I haven't done C25k since my knee started acting up, but its feeling better as of Monday, and I have physical therapy for a couple times a week. I am going to start up again soon! Good job to all you runners!!