Daily check in

Options

Replies

• chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JEEP! I love Jeeps! Sheep are okay, too.

@chelseascounter, breathe. Deep breaths. When my anxiety takes over, I find that my breathing is shallow and fast. Super fast. I don't know how eating calms me down, but I find that breathing does the same thing. Those calories you ate can't be uneaten. Just chalk it up to a screw up and decide not to screw up any more for 24 hours. Come here and post BEFORE the *kitten* gets too crazy. You know what I mean. You can do this!

I am twenty four hours in to low carbing. After a year of not losing then six months of binging, I need a reset. We'll see how it goes. I believe that cutting most of the sugars from my system will help. We shall see. The idea of higher fatty foods scares the crap outta me

Thank you Jeep! Your advice helped me today. I felt like taking a pit stop at whole foods to buy cake balls (I don't have room for), but then I realized I don't really want them, took deep breaths, and drove past.
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ab6046 - Do you generally go to a nutritionist or is this the first time? I have thought about going or to a naturopath (except I know they will try to get me to go off them). Let me know if it helps.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    12 days without binge
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    12 days without binge

Awesome! Just awesome! I am on day 2 of no binge. It's day two of low carbs. I ate bacon today. I had salmon wrapped in bacon. It was heavenly! I just hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I'm finding that I don't have room for binging. My stomach is slap full after eating a regular meal. But I am getting hungry in between. The feeling of hunger causes anxiety in me. How weird is that? But I'm going to learn to deal with it.

Ab, I have been thinking about you and "stuff". You know how us Christians do! This struggle is so stinking hard and so intensely unfair. Don't give up.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    12 days without binge

That is really awesome !
    It's day two of low carbs.

I'm hearing 'low carb' from quite a few people as a potential deterrent.

• daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on in a while. I'll just summarize the past week. Huge binge last Friday night, which was a poor decision since I had my longest most important training run Saturday morning. It ended up being really good though (I guess all the extra carbs are good for something ;) ) I was up like 9 pounds by Sunday and had dropped 8 today. I was binge free from Saturday on, though I overate last Sunday. I saw a picture of me taken during the run by my running club and it was just like...a slap in the face at how big I've really gotten. I did okay today and then grabbed some M&Ms while I was in the dining hall (trigger) then opened a 1lb bag of peanuts (poor decision) had a few servings and was fine. Went back for more just now and finished the bag...I guess it could have been worse. I have other food in my dorm room and I really don't feel tempted to binge even though they're my typical binge foods (clif bars, cereal, etc). Idk I didn't eat past hunger or anything and I wasn't like just shoveling food in my mouth, it felt very like mindful?? I just wish I didn't eat the whole bag because it out me over so much and I'm sure I'll gain the 8 lbs back tomorrow morning.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @daniellethesheep You made it almost a week without bingeing, that's great! I think you should be proud of that. Nothing you can do about last night now, it's in the past. Try to just move on with today and focus only on today.

Right now that's what I have to do, I can't worry about what happened yesterday or the bad days just snowball and I can't stress about what could happen tomorrow or I work myself into a binge. I just have to get through this day that's right in front of me.
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    betrue95 wrote: »
    ab6046 - Do you generally go to a nutritionist or is this the first time? I have thought about going or to a naturopath (except I know they will try to get me to go off them). Let me know if it helps.

This is the first time in a VERY long time. I will post in "treatment" at some point today about it!
  • msty112
    Options
    Binged this morning. Sigh. Made it 9 days without a binge. I hate the disappointed feeling
  • ab6046
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    Binged this morning. Sigh. Made it 9 days without a binge. I hate the disappointed feeling

BUT you made it nine days without a binge, and prior to that I believe you had made it at least five days without a binge. That is incredible and even though you're disappointed, please forgive yourself and realize how awesome you've been doing. Like you said the other day, it's unreasonable to believe we will just magically stop bingeing. It's bound to happen, and what matters is that it's becoming less frequent.
  • msty112
    Options
    Thanks Ab! I'm trying to breathe and not dig myself any deeper. Sad thing is I ate my dad's sugar free candy stash so now I have to shamefully explain myself and buy him more.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also @msty112 be careful about consuming too many sugar free candies at once as they have a laxative like effect from the artificial sweetener.
  • msty112
    Options
    Unfortunately I did not know this and am currently experiencing the violent after effects... I will now consult with you before bingeing.
  • ab6046
    Options
    Hahhahah "violent effects....." That is so unfortunate. Not funny but your use of language is amazing.
  • ab6046
    Options
    A long time ago I read Amazon reviews for sugar free gummy bears and they are hilarious and horrific. It's one diarrhea story after another.
  • msty112
    Options
    ab6046 wrote: »
    A long time ago I read Amazon reviews for sugar free gummy bears and they are hilarious and horrific. It's one diarrhea story after another.
    Hmmm I will have to go check this out. I had no idea that sugar substitutes had this effect, then again I don't think I've ever had "sugar free" candy before. I was craving something sweet and it was all I could find in my parents house. It didn't even taste good, but you know how it goes, once you start...
  • msty112
    Options
    Never, ever again will I eat sugar free candy. EVER!! UGH!
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The next time I find myself unable to produce, I may find some sugar free candy :D I hope you are feeling better.

Low carb. Y'all, why did I poo poo this for so long? This is day four of low carb. No desire to binge. I ate two bites of cheesecake last night and stopped. No cravings for my usual binge triggers. I am stuffed. Best off all, did I mention that I have no desire to binge? I really think that carbs are a dietary black hole for me. All these years I have avoided certain foods because they are "bad". (Bacon, cheese, sausage, steak!!!). Yet in four days I have dropped four pounds and have not binged or wanted to. I like it!

It feels too good to be true.
  • ab6046
    Options
    I'm glad it's working so well for you! I had a different experience, but I feel like it really depends on the person. Prior to trying LCHF, I NEVER ate fat. I never cooked with oil, never ate cheese, avocado, etc. Of course when I binged sometimes there was more fat involved, but it was usually higher carb binges (still is). I was terrified of eating fat, and LCHF helped me to overcome that and I also lost weight pretty fast and was awesome for a couple of months.

However, the way I felt about fat previously then became the way that I felt about carbs. Although I've always avoided carbs like bread, rice, pasta, grains, etc. LCHF made me terrified of fruit and vegetables, which I had always eaten a lot of. I got really obsessed with this, and then when the holidays hit I couldn't avoid eating carbs and I just could never bounce back. I think it's definitely sustainable if you really love bacon, cheese, eggs, steak, etc. I like them, but most of the time I like vegetables more so for me it wasn't sustainable and I feel like it's a big part of the reason this binge cycle has been so much bigger and longer than others. I feel like I'm making up for lost time.

So many people have amazing experienced with LCHF, and I may be the exception. Also, considering my history of various eating disorders and weird food obsessions and sometimes illogical beliefs surrounding food it makes sense that ultimately it didn't work for me. But I guess all I want to say is if the reason you feel it's working so well is because you can finally eat the things you've normally considered bad and denied yourself, that may happen with carbs too. Keep us posted though! I don't mean to send mixed messages. I really think it's amazing you're having such success with it and I know lots of people do, but just as a fellow binge eater has gone down this road wanted to share my experience!
  • ab6046
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I should also mention a lot of people say they feel full or really satisfied on LCHF, and I didn't. I don't ever get full. So I think that may have been part of my problem, is I just seem to have a disconnect as far as hunger cues go. Since it sounds like you've found it satisfying, then it's definitely a better solution for you than it was for me! And DEFINITELY awesome if it's helping with bingeing! I didn't binge as frequently either when I was doing LCHF, but I wasn't in one of my binge cycles at the time either! And I've tried to do LCHF while in my binge cycles and I just can't commit haha!