Which of your ailments was cured by low carb?

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @michelle172415 , just wanted you to be aware that Nexium is a PPI! Zantac is a H2 Inhibitor. Different mechanisms of action in the stomach. Best of luck with this! :blush:
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Weigh lost and more energy and metal clarity but my eczema all over my legs has improved....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @michelle172415 , just wanted you to be aware that Nexium is a PPI! Zantac is a H2 Inhibitor. Different mechanisms of action in the stomach. Best of luck with this! :blush:

Do you have any idea if OTCs like Pepto-Bismol have any of the same negative digestive effects as PPIs?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started because I was also desperate to lose weight, especially since I was losing my six month Transformer DietBet. ;) It also made sense since I have PCOS, MS and previously had prediabetes.

My unexpected benefits:
    * the inflammation and joint pain I'd started having cleared up
    * reduced acid reflux (I was able to stop taking my Prilosec!)
    * reduced GI issues in general
    * I went from feeling hungry all the time and having lots of carb cravings to feeling far more satisfied and significantly reduced carb cravings, even though I kept calories the same.
    * Reduced hypoglycemia symptoms if I wasn't eating every 3-4 hrs. I get hungry but not weak/shaky like I tended to before.

Possibly increased energy and improved mood though I've had some confounding factors (insomnia started so fatigue and irritability came back; not sure how it's all related) so the jury's still out.

And weight loss really picked up once I switched macros to keto.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Less or gone: IBS, eczema, cystic acne, joint pain, desperate hunger, hypoglycemia and snoozing off 15 mins after meals, hair loss, brittle nails, painful gut, edema, footsole pain, depression and that ache-y feverish feeling of constant inflammation.

There's still some unresolved issues, but with the nagging everyday stuff gone I feel so much better.

I have gained a great deal of knowledge of my body through self experiments. It's very useful and empowering. I'm my own lab rat ;)

I've never gone lower than 50g, usually higher.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    hair loss,
    This is something I have been concerned about for years. I have noticed that I seem to pulling out less hair. Could be wishful thinking. Going to have to keep a better eye on that.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @RalfLott , the pesto isn't the same as a PPI, but is does contain salicylic acid which is the same active ingredient in aspirin. The potential side effects would be the same as taking aspirin. If I get heartburn now I will drink Apple cider vinegar diluted in water (2 tbsp acv to 12 oz water).
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    headaches, migraines, eczema, fogginess, irritability (when hungry), fatigue.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @RalfLott , the pesto isn't the same as a PPI, but is does contain salicylic acid which is the same active ingredient in aspirin. The potential side effects would be the same as taking aspirin. If I get heartburn now I will drink Apple cider vinegar diluted in water (2 tbsp acv to 12 oz water).

Thanks for the tips!
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Exercise induced asthma :)
  • brandyhaynes26
    brandyhaynes26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hypoglycemic episode in almost a week!!!! That's huge for me! It would get in the 60's or 50's. (I just started BTW)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Congratulations @brandyhaynes26 !! You are in for an awesome ride!! :D
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I haven't had a hypoglycemic episode in almost a week!!!! That's huge for me! It would get in the 60's or 50's. (I just started BTW)

HI. I've been having some lows in the 50s and 60s since I started LCHF several months ago. (I suspect lowered BG coupled with an interaction between Metformin and an ACE inhibitor, though officially that shouldn't produce hypoglemia...). So I hope you don't mind a couple Qs.

What led to your hypoglycemia - insulin related?

Could you sense a drop below 70, or did it have to go lower before you knew the fix was in?

Thx!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a yo-yo and just wandered back on, but here is my list from the last time I behaved. This list was made after 2 weeks.

Down 9 pounds
    Stomach not as bloated
    Digestive system not constantly cranky
    Wrists don't hurt
    Shoulders hurt much less
    Less constant ringing/itching in my ears
    More energy
    Muscles aren't aching
    Not freezing all the time (just part of the time)
    Depression/anxiety is lifting
    Cravings seem to be almost gone
    More energy
    Happier
  • kvinson80
    kvinson80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the 4 short weeks I've been into this WOE I have lost 15lbs, reduced depression and anxiety, don't feel bloated all the time, have much more energy, generally just feel happier and more positive. I am very hopeful with more time I will see some of the reduction in inflammation and joint pain as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @kvinson80 that is a very positive report. Welcome to MFP forums and for sharing.

I have been LCHF for 18 months. After 30 days my 40 years of joint and muscle pain dropped from a subjective level of 7-8 to 2-3 on LCHF WOE and remains low plus a ton of other health issues resolved. My family tells others I am not as mean to them as before LCHF. :)

Best of continued success.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Improved skin quality, fewer sweets and breads cravings, diminished hunger, disappearing candida surplus....and lots of the other stuff folks have mentioned.
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This WOE has been a total godsend, and I've been doing this about 6 weeks now.

- Significantly improved mood started the second day
    - Significantly decreased hunger also started the second day
    - My energy surged through the roof around Day 4
    - All facial and body acne completely cleared during Week 1
    - The flaky skin around my nose and on my forehead greatly improved during Week 1
    - Around Week 3 I realized that I hadn't had a headache since I started LCHF, when the frequency had been 2-3 times per week
    - Flaky skin completely disappeared in Week 4
    - I started sleeping through the night toward the end of Week 4, which is the biggest deal ever for me!
  • wahagent05
    wahagent05 Posts: 446 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i have been on the LCHF journey for 6wks... these are my list of benefits

I have loss 14 LBS
    No longer gassy after meals
    Sleep longer w/o tossing and turning
    Better quality of sleep
    More energy
    Complexion is soooo much better...no more breakouts!
    I no longer crave sweets, or foods that are not allowed ex....starches, corn, soda
    I look at food totally different now
    Better clarity!
    Feel better in my body than i have in over 2 yrs!
    Hunger decreased significantly!
    I can now be around, pizza, or any other fast food, and not want to indulge!
    Eat healthier now!
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF just over two months now & must be doing something wrong
    Hunger & cravings have lessened. That is my one definite positive!
    But everything else.....
    Weight loss rate has been typical or slightly slower than previous attempts, no energy increase, no mental clarity increase, no sleep quality increase, very small change in waist measurements, etc, etc. I get plenty of salt, carbs are low, food is as healthy as I can make it while here, I exercise but not at a crazy level, I take a multi-vitamin/mineral to try and offset any deficiencies

Kind of bummed but trying to stay positive and I"m keeping on course. Not sure what else I should be doing. :/