Gelatine and better sleep ?

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that gelatin can be a trigger for anyone who suffers cold sores/the dreaded H virus (that more people have in the US than DON'T have it now... It's higher on Arginine, and folks with that virus need a better Lysine/Arginine ratio...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just use hydrolyzed collagen. Mixed with cold water just fine. I don't really know what's different than gelatin about it, but I'm getting what I need from it in a super easy to use form. I just add it to coffee and water
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just be aware that gelatin can be a trigger for anyone who suffers cold sores/the dreaded H virus (that more people have in the US than DON'T have it now... It's higher on Arginine, and folks with that virus need a better Lysine/Arginine ratio...

Oy vey. Thank you for that tip! I do get cold sores and I detest them. Maybe I'll stay away from the gelatin.
    DittoDan wrote: »
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    I was wondering how you "take" gelatin? I also have some good 'ol Knox brand, and would like to start using it, just curious how other people "get it in?"

You mix/make it like jello. Brew your favorite tea, add a sweetener (inulin, monk fruit), add gelatin mix, chill, eat. Qty of water is as per box instructions.

Dan
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping there was a way to quickly get it down instead of eating it. I just really don't like the texture of Jell-O. Thank you for the tip though :)
    I wonder if it comes in pill form, I will have to check the health food store, although after I do the research on the link between that and cold sores...
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Gelatin... hmm, I guess that makes sense. Tagging to follow. Always looking for was to enhance meno-sleep.

Ha. Me too. I seem to wake up every hour convinced that what I've just dreamt is real. It would be kind of fun, except that I need some rest.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Oy vey. Thank you for that tip! I do get cold sores and I detest them. Maybe I'll stay away from the gelatin.
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I was wondering how you "take" gelatin? I also have some good 'ol Knox brand, and would like to start using it, just curious how other people "get it in?"

You mix/make it like jello. Brew your favorite tea, add a sweetener (inulin, monk fruit), add gelatin mix, chill, eat. Qty of water is as per box instructions.

Dan
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping there was a way to quickly get it down instead of eating it. I just really don't like the texture of Jell-O. Thank you for the tip though :)
    I wonder if it comes in pill form, I will have to check the health food store, although after I do the research on the link between that and cold sores...

Collagen is the flip side of it that seems to not be high in that amino acid, @dietbepsi... Chocolate is on the risk list, as are a few other normal foods for me. I added the Lysine, and have yet to have a recurrence (knock on wood) despite some really stressful times that normally would have done me in. I'd love to see if your research corresponds with mine.

And yes, they do sell it in capsules, I've seen it somewhere. But there are other joint compounds that might be more beneficial than just straight gelatin...
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    As a result of this thread, yesterday I ordered gelatin collagen hydrolysate:amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1459886371&sr=1-1&keywords=collagen+great+lakes . The reviews are great, and I hope it's as helpful as it appears. It doesn't gel; it can be mixed into any liquid, yogurt, etc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use. It's not a gelatin either. The label info is very different from the one @wheatlessgirl66 linked. I don't know enough about it to have any ideas about what constitutes such a difference and whether it matters at all.
    Bulksupplements Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen (Bovine) Powder (250 grams) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YG2MTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ctebxbEKDH17X
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As a result of this thread, yesterday I ordered gelatin collagen hydrolysate:amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1459886371&sr=1-1&keywords=collagen+great+lakes . The reviews are great, and I hope it's as helpful as it appears. It doesn't gel; it can be mixed into any liquid, yogurt, etc.

This is what I use also - tasteless and odourless. I'm quite happy with it. Not sure about sleep help tho as I mix it into my morning coffee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

A great reminder. Also a great reminder that this, and many other "remedies" are not "fads" etc. they are HOW IT WAS DONE (invoke chicken soup again). But yes, not every remedy is appropriate for everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use, and what it helps. Their website mentions it helping with sleep too.