Butter Bob Briggs Clarifies Butter :)

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Butter Bob, how much butter should I be eating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoaWbgOeyRU

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Great video!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Since my goal of fasting is to lower the hormone Insulin I now understand why eating fats while fasting should work for me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    True that!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Are there foods that does not push up BG yet can increase insulin levels?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Don't eat sticks of butter? Tell that to my 5-year-old. He'd eat a whole stick if I let him. He once snatched a stick of salted from my hand and took a big bite out of it. Slow down, lil' guy! :lol: He'd also eat a block of cream cheese.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    "Tell them to kiss your rear end." :heart:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

No foods could fit this description, but why would you want to increase insulin levels without increasing BG? The result will be hypoglycemia.
  • Magpie469221
    Magpie469221 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love Butter Bob Briggs! He gives great advice :) and I sent his butter make your pants fall off to my brother and he's been following Bob's advice and has lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks :) hoping to get more results myself as I stay on LCHF :)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My first time hearing him, Great info!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    His statements on HWC are so reassuring to me! I routinely have a cup of coffee with HWC, either at home or at Starbucks (unflavored Americano), and I delay eating until 1 - 3pm. I wasn't sure if this was still considered fasting. Super informative!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always forget about him! I like the way he talks.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

No foods could fit this description, but why would you want to increase insulin levels without increasing BG? The result will be hypoglycemia.

I should have asked, "Are there any FATS that increases Insulin levels". Fasting is to lower Insulin levels so I should be able to eat any food in a fast that was to ONLY lower Insulin and not lose weight.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Omega-3 fatty acids?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I should have asked, "Are there any FATS that increases Insulin levels". Fasting is to lower Insulin levels so I should be able to eat any food in a fast that was to ONLY lower Insulin and not lose weight.

Yes, all fats will increase insulin levels because it increases BG. But gluconeogenesis happens at such a slow rate and amount that the additional insulin will be so small it will be very difficult to measure.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I saw the title and thought this was about clarifying butter ;) . Which I have actually thought about trying before. Wonder how it would taste in bpc?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/clarified-butter-recipe.html

I liked the video! Thanks!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the link.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Yes, all fats will increase insulin levels because it increases BG. But gluconeogenesis happens at such a slow rate and amount that the additional insulin will be so small it will be very difficult to measure.

I knew that could happen with protein but not from eating fats. I wonder the guy in the video states fats do not increase insulin?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I knew that could happen with protein but not from eating fats. I wonder the guy in the video states fats do not increase insulin?

It is a very small amount, but dietary fat does increase BG... that means an increase of insulin. As a type 1 diabetic, I don't have the luxury of having a body that makes insulin for me. So I must constantly monitor BG and dose insulin based on the multitude of factors that affect BG (primarily food).

Here is a study that was done on type 1's, though the conclusion that dietary fat raises BG isn't exclusive to type 1 diabetics. The difference is in application... most people don't know or care, but us type 1's must consciously make adjustments to insulin intake. Anyway, here is the citation (not sure if you have access to somewhere to retrieve this journal article, but some libraries might be able to obtain it through inter-library loan if you can't get to a repository like ERIC, EbscoHost, etc.):

Wolpert, H. A., Atakov-Castillo, A., Smith, S. A., & Steil, G. M. (2013). Dietary Fat Acutely Increases Glucose Concentrations and Insulin Requirements in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Implications for carbohydrate-based bolus dose calculation and intensive diabetes management. Diabetes Care, 36(4), 810-816 7p. doi:10.2337/dc12-0092
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Peter Attia in his blog the Eating Academy in the article Insulin response he states that fat doesn't stimulate insulin. I think the point is eating fat does not increase insulin which is a storage hormone. If insulin is high it encourages the storage of carbs. and makes you hungry. But high fat does not cause elevated insulin and increased hunger.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just read this today from Fung's The Obesity Code:

"Fatty foods can also stimulate insulin, but pure fats such as olive oil do not stimulate insulin or glucose. However, few foods are eaten as pure fat. It may be that the protein component of fatty foods drives the insulin response. Despite the higher caloric value of fat, it stimulates insulin less than carbohydrates or protein." -pg. 193.

I can't remember specifically what Butter Bob said, but I think he must have been referring to pure fats.