Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Isn't if funny, you eat to make yourself feel better but then you feel like *kitten* after you've eaten...maybe, because it's usually never just a treat or a snack...it starts out that way but then it becomes a constant back and forth from where you are to the kitchen...
  • Madleene
    Madleene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh for sure when I am angry, frustrated or sad I tend to overeat sweet stuffs
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Boredom mostly and not caring.
    I avoid restaurants now and definitely without a doubt the all you can eat places at all costs. Horrible binging in those ayce places.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Although, a lot of things will make me overeat, I would say the top ones are:
    - Stress
    - Lonely
    - Sad

But it's definitely not limited to that.
  • PennyBrew
    PennyBrew Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    smurphy90 wrote: »
    I eat out of boredom and when I feel stressed, anxious, or depressed. I also am not good at eating things I like in moderation, or cooking in moderation for that matter. I grew up learning to cook from my grandma, who made every meal for no less than 8 people, even if only 3-4 were eating. Leftovers are fine in my book... BUT they don't make it to tomorrow's lunch for me, they become my midnight snack. I need to get better at preparing meals for two (me and the bf) with little-to-no leftovers, especially if it's a food that I love.

It's the same for me, especially anything with a lot of carbs. My parents would cook large enough meals that we could have it for breakfast lunch and dinner for the next two days; not the best thing when you've no impulse control.

Being around certain family members or being in a large group of people I don't know can also set me off.
  • bec_601
    bec_601 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stress is a biggie for me. And boredom. But depression is the worst. And then I get more depressed because I overate
  • sgar36
    sgar36 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I feel ......
    Hurt
    Angry
    Sad
    Lonely
    Good
    Tired
    Food has been such a over indulgent comfort zone sometimes I don't know what to do if I don't have food in my hands or in my mouth. :'(
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    On a vacation trip, or when a schedule changes, or moving house are hard times for me. Once I get on track and remove all the foods from my house that contribute to me becoming an unconscious eater, its much easier for me to readjust to eating three meals a day and a small bedtime yogurt. If I take out processed sugar and bread from my eating plan that will usually curtail the overeating until I can sort out my emotions andbegin to live spiritually conscious again. Then things get simpler.

Take heart sgr36. There are some people who can help. Are you in the One Day at a Time group here on mfp? we talk about this stuff over there too. :)
  • oOArankaOo
    oOArankaOo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to overeat during meals anymore, but I eat very mindlessly when I'm snacking. This is always aggrevated when I'm feeling stressed, anxious, or depressed.
    I also start to eat mindlessly when I'm invested in a TV show or working on my computer.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    oO, this sure rings true with me when I get off track, well, maybe not totally off, but its a big sign post on the road to disaster in my case. Unconscious snacking has been a downfall for me several times. It all starts so innocently. Someone offers me a bite of something here, I nibble while making dinner because I feel so hungry ( a if I can't wait like 20 minutes or something!) there. Pretty soon its while I'm reading, on computer, or somehow the after meal fruit turns into three instead of one!
    Honestly my best times are when I limit snacks to one in the evening and I commit to eating consciously, which means knowing every bite.
    thanks for sharing your experience, it gave me the awareness I need today. <3
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I over eat.. when I am hungry and making supper... everything I can get my hands on ends up in my mouth :(
    I over eat when I am stressed... I go for sugar and junk.. anything that is fast and easy to grab.
    I over eat when I am alone... somehow I think if no one sees me eat the calories they do not count.
    I over eat because I am bored.

I need to control what I eat!
    Any advice?
  • Kkvkkv
    Kkvkkv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Family
  • SlimSage
    SlimSage Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1. Boredom
    2. Anxiety
    3. Depression

If I get overwhelmed suddenly I feel like I need to hibernate.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    SlimSage wrote: »
    1. Boredom
    2. Anxiety
    3. Depression

If I get overwhelmed suddenly I feel like I need to hibernate.

Nothing wrong with backing off overwhelming situations, just don't back into the fridge. :)<3
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Ditto!
  • TishaSB
    TishaSB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a great question that I have never been truthful with myself and answered. I overeat if I am happy because eating food becomes part of a celebration. If I am bored, that is an excellent trigger for me to start overeating. I also overeat if I am sad. The things that I love to eat when I am going through any of these moods are candy, sopressata, proscuitto and bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I absolutely love and adore bread. I haven't had bread in months and I will say that I miss it. These are some of my triggers.
  • Xistie
    Xistie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm stressed, and lately that's been a lot. I also tend to overeat when I'm bored,
  • alexandrajudge
    alexandrajudge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firstly, this is the first group I joined here in the community - I'm super stoked. Great idea for support and sharing.

Secondly, I over eat when it comes to being stressed. When I'm bored I control my grazing with coffee drinks for the most part - coffee with Leche Nido or Skinny Latte mixes. But when I get stressed or upset, it is sooo hard for me to stay within my diet goals (low carb, moderatley low fats). When I get upset or sad, all I want to do is eat until my stomach literally hurts - until I can feel the muscles stretching.

Reading a lot of posts, I see that a lot of people have the same issue. The best thing I have done to try and curb it is to really, really be aware of it. I always thought before that overeating/binge eating was just a bad habit, but it really is a serious issue! There are some really cool apps that you can download to that kind of walk you through overeating phases... whenever you feel the urge, you can use prompts on the app to help you figure out why you're turning to food. It actually helped me a lot.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat when I'm stressed... when I'm in love.... when I'm sad... When I'm happy... When I'm out with friends... When I'm alone. If something taste delicious, I have the tendency to overeat because I hate "saving" food for later in the fear that it either would taste as good the next time or won't be there when I come back for it.
  • Mnrnrunner516
    Mnrnrunner516 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I tend to overeat when I'm stressed, lonely, have skipped a meal, or completed a long run. Working on dealing with the first three, and I just need to make sure I don't overdo it on the last one.