What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm such a stress eater that I think I need a 12 step program :frown: Stress in my life is everywhere right now, especially my job. The stress of job hunting, it just never ends..
  • eldarkangel
    eldarkangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The evening when i am borred sometimes... not good. love chomping away
  • dkirkling
    dkirkling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater. I'm trying to replace eating with physical activity when I am feeling stressed.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I go to my mums for lunch because she is an amazing cook.
  • melifairy
    melifairy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm bored or out of habit. If I'm sitting in front of the computer or tv, I feel like I have to have something. o.O I'm trying hard to break that habit!
  • sirtxt
    sirtxt Posts: 39
    Options
    I have this hobby - it is called "holding onto old baggage". I love to revisit things from the past - call myself stupid or just feel the shame of those moments (failures) AGAIN!!! I have always turned to food as my very DEPENDABLE, FAITHFUL friend. Always there, no questions asked - always made me feel so much better.

I guess I subconsciously turned to food as my family was not very supportive on an emotional level - we did not hug in my family. So, after many years, I have joined CoDA - Codependents Anonymous to help deal with the baggage I am dragging around - lord knows I am tired. While CoDA has helped me alot and I have let go of things, I still find myself not being able to love myself.

So when I get in those dark, lonely moments, it is so hard to rely on myself - to encourage myself - when my old friend, food, is right there. Not to mention, I love to sit on my "own pitty pot"

I am aware of the situation, that is half the battle. But baby, it is all uphill from here. LOL

Sitting alone on my pitty pot,

John
  • DS4725
    DS4725 Posts: 5
    Options
    I stress snack at work ALL DAY and overeat at home because of boredom or loneliness. Normally it's sugary comfort snacks.
  • bethusda
    bethusda Posts: 2
    Options
    When I think I'm giving myself a special treat for any reason at all.
    "It's hot outside...I deserve this frappuchino"
    "It's Saturday.....I can eat three corndogs on the couch if I feel like it."
    "The kids are wasteful.....I'll just finish these leftovers for them (like three cups of mac and cheese). People in Africa are hungry you know!!
    "I just exercised....It's ok if I eat two candy bars and a box of cheezits."
    "I'm supporting my community .... by eating two boxes of girl scout cookies."
    "I just sat through the longest sermon on earth this Sunday and I'm starving....so I can eat three hamburgers and a large fry." In the car while driving".
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My "husband" who keeps saying he is leaving me but won't get out of our house. If you want to go, then go! Staying here is only making it harder for both of us!
  • mr_mrsbannedfonz
    mr_mrsbannedfonz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Meeee toooo!!
  • misskaren63
    misskaren63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when very emotional I eat and its all junk food or I tend too drink grog its a weakness of me:sad:
  • DebBee83
    DebBee83 Posts: 30
    Options
    I tend to overeat whenever my husband is eating fun foods that I want to eat also. Sometimes, he's a bad influence. Or I'm just a bad influence for myself. I feel like eating when I'm bored during the day or when I'm really worried about something. Food is so soothing. I need to learn to be more self-reliant and rely less on food for comfort.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    when i exercise alot and eat right amount of calories and DONT LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • ardinnean
    Options
    STRESS!! I over eat everytime i'm feeling the pressure! I just this week started drinking water when i feel so stressed that i want to eat. I have to pee a lot but i'm not overeating so much now! :)
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Stressed, tired, bored, undesirable emotions like heartbreak, anger, confusion, or nervousness/anxiety. The South is such a food culture so I also eat when I am at social gatherings with family or friends. I can pretty much turn anything into a reason for overeating.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group.
    I have identified what makes me eat (now that I finally realize thats what my problem is!)

1. Bored
    2. stressful situations
    3. Anger. When I am angry at someone or something I tend to head right for the fridge or the nearest fast food restaurant.
    4. Depression

I have started practicing asking myself if I am really hungry or not. when I am angry or stressed, I just get up and at least, just walk around the (inside) apartment; do a chore or lay down and close my eyes.

If I find myself in front of the fridge, I grab a bottle of water first before grabbing food...

Practicing these actions help. I haven't been one hundred percent but at least I am aware and am working on it.
  • GrokRockStarWECHANGED
    Options
    Hi all, i'm also new to this group. What makes me overeat? Happiness and after I reach a goal. Food has always been my reward from back in childhood. I don't eat when I'm stressed or sad, just when I experience happiness. I am a work in progress and really started to understand and address my triggers. Glad to have found this group!
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can tell you because I just did it last month. Bills! Bills that are more than my income/paycheck - so basically - stress!!
    I had been feeling fine all night - still full from dinner actually - and then I worked on my bills right before bed. Found myself prowling the kitchen looking in cabinets and fridge - finally chose some spicy crackers which would have been within my cals. AFTER eating them, still wasn't satisfied (emotionally that is) and went and had some pb&j on crackers (was out of bread). I loaded each cracker up and ate them open-faced - so that totally blew up my calorie count for the day, and made me feel guilty.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

^^^THIS! I overeat for all emotions.
  • MoniGram71
    MoniGram71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I overeat because I get depressed, which triggers my anxiety, which triggers my binge eating, which then triggers the whole process over and over. :-( My eating come from my emotions.