What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• uleee476
    uleee476 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I am stressed too - or when I feel I haven't given myself a break. I am pretty overworked and burnt out - sweet and salty carbohydrates are my choice. It's hard for me to break the overeating-- I've been doing it for years.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

I remember a comic strip (cathy?) where she was asked if she ate when she was happy, sad, angry, or bored and she said yes.

I'm part way through my 1 year mat leave. When I work, I have trouble losing due to time (work full time, hour commute each way, 2 (now 3) kids, husband gets home much later than me). Now at home, I have other issues (boredom, loneliness (I only know my coworkers here), frustration, stress (baby was a preemie with some health issues initially but now is fine). Regardless, now I have the time to lose the weight and I'm not.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Boredom definitely. But really, one trap is too many options: buffet or potluck, etc. Went to Game Night with a group from church yesterday. Everyone was supposed to bring snacks. I had a very low calorie dinner before going. Still I had to go back for that 3rd cookie.... Too many good looking foods makes me want to eat all of them.
  • sweetdragon1980
    sweetdragon1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

I am also an emotional eater.
  • Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    fear.. I think my weight has been like my batman cape.. protects me... keeps people away.. Probably sounds stupid but it is what it is.
  • LipingHZ
    LipingHZ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Boredom makes me overeat! But then after I eat I get bored again...
  • interrobanger
    interrobanger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm an emotional eater. I mean, besides boredom, if you wanna count that. It's grown into a problem where I find myself at a loss if I'm not grazing on some unhealthy snack.

I've been cutting back on it since I've started tracking calories again, and I notice that the urge to snack is dwindling. It picks up when I'm watching netflix, but I've been resisting it. :)
  • kywy84
    kywy84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Jad31te wrote: »
    fear.. I think my weight has been like my batman cape.. protects me... keeps people away.. Probably sounds stupid but it is what it is.

That is me too. I lost 80 pounds about 10 years ago and gained it back some and now that I have to lose the weight again I have realized that is my biggest problem. Fear. I don't like that feeling.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I eat under stress and anxiety.
  • 5Mack
    5Mack Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because it's there. It's free. It's the last one. I've had a beer. It's on special offer for a limited time only. It's a limited edition.

Or I'm stressed or anxious. Then I eat until I either stop or want to lock myself away. Then it's self-hate-city for a few days. Lovely place. Food's great. Then I want to change everything in my life that I feel I have control over. Except the one thing which should be the simplest. Eating cleanly and sensibly.

• lannemack
    lannemack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat more (actually I wolf down) when I'm stressed and it can be challenging.
  • THE_BadRomancer
    THE_BadRomancer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am constantly alone and also have grazed my entire life. so having downtime at my apartment by myself definitely makes me overeat. also when I'm dealing with something stressful or I feel chaotic. I have a history of eating disorders so it's too easy for me to use food to cope with my *kitten*.
  • keibbed
    keibbed Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have all said it well! Eating sweets makes me feel better about everything! Sugar is supposed to be 10x more addicting than cocaine!
  • colleen_mairead_xo
    colleen_mairead_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I over eat when I'm stressed, bored, lonely, PMSing... and if my boyfriend is enjoying something I have a much harder time resisting... Like if he has a couple beers after work, so do i, whether my calorie budget allows it or not.
  • Steph007ess
    Steph007ess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict of the highest order! When I'm off it I don't need it but one bit of it and it's a slippery slope! The cravings actually take over my brain leading me to wonder to the kitchen cupboard like a zombie!
  • Steph007ess
    Steph007ess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I over eat when I'm stressed, bored, lonely, PMSing... and if my boyfriend is enjoying something I have a much harder time resisting... Like if he has a couple beers after work, so do i, whether my calorie budget allows it or not.

Absolutely ditto here especially with the beers in the evening!
  • cog62
    cog62 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I notice now I really want to eat so I can avoid working. Like if I am really stressed because I have to get the whole house clean for a party all of a sudden all I want to do is just "eat something first."

Ha Ha, guess I'm not the only one who feels this way. Food, although used inappropriately, has been the answer or go to for everything in my life for my whole life. Yes, even as a kid, I would come home from school and pound down the oreos and milk. They say old habits die hard. I believe that one day at a time, I can retrain my heart and brain to believe differently. I use to be a smoker and sometimes still get a craving for a cigarette, but that doesn't mean I would ever give into it. IT'S JUST A CRAVING. Like clouds in the sky, they will pass. I tell myself this and redirect myself asap when that habitual thinking starts. Thank you for posting the avoidance eating. It's a big one for me.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    usually anger or sadness. i am working on changing that to taking a walk with my dog Ziggy, or talking with my husband, or talking to someone on FB.
  • wifeyolivarez
    wifeyolivarez Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am one that has almost an obsession with food. When I eat something yummy it makes me happy inside. Its like something I can look forward to everyday. Unfortunately this obsession has gone to far and I have gained 80 lbs. Ouch.
  • tcbaylor
    tcbaylor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stress and boredom are my big reasons. I am starting to find ways to trick myself out of it.