Moderate Low-Carb Support

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    However I've gotten in the habit of looking for the lowest carb everything so it's just a little mindset adjustment.

It can be a tough adjustment. There are multiple strategies that can work -- slow-carb, or occasional "cheat meals" that refill glycogen (I admit to "cheating" with Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese meals once in a while).

What almost certainly doesn't work is going back to cookies, bread, and other highly processed foods that will lead to this:

CG9JB9WVIAAxln2.jpg

Yes I need to avoid that. Sadly it's where my mind goes to after years of eating that way. I'll figure it out, it's a slow process though since the weather is getting nice and there is more fresh produce everywhere I should be able to get it where I'm comfortable.

Great chart, but I missed it, did you say where it was from?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm @wabmester links it here, on his dr's twitter
    I stole it from Doc Naiman:
    https://twitter.com/tednaiman

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm @wabmester links it here, on his dr's twitter
    I stole it from Doc Naiman:
    https://twitter.com/tednaiman

Awesome, thanks!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Well, I binged a bunch of crap last night. Dumb@ss... :disappointed:
    I was tired from kids keeping me up the previous night and coming down with the crud I've caught from those little germ factories...so I comforted myself with honey nut cheerios and then cookies until I hit the end of my eating window. At least I stopped there. Good LAWD, Jess, you're an idiot. :rage:

I'm definitely going to have to write down what I eat somewhere as a form of accountability...
    I don't want to have to obsessively track every broccoli floret and carrot shred on my food diary. Not yet anyway.

I have a journal on a low-carb forum I can do it in. And so I must, because Loki (the evil and vocal food-demon on my shoulder) has woken up and is bugging me again. I require the threat of public humiliation sometimes... it's sad.

Yesterday I was a MORON.
    Today and onward, I WILL behave myself.
    Shut up, Loki. I wouldn't dance too much in glee, or I'll flick you off!
    He is such a turd. :persevere:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just tell us if you still had dry eyes after eating those cheerios. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    happens to us all, I usually don't feel great afterwards though it doesn't seem to be bad enough to stop me from doing it again. I usually end up having more wins than losses though so its not so bad.
  • baconslave
    Options
    happens to us all, I usually don't feel great afterwards though it doesn't seem to be bad enough to stop me from doing it again. I usually end up having more wins than losses though so its not so bad.

Yeah if I were major sick after then I'd be less likely to do it again.
    Right now, I'm already torn up b/c of the antibiotics I'm on for the eyes, so I can't tell anyway. And the kids ate all my yogurt last night... They are lucky I love them. :lol:

Don't beat yourself up. Just tell us if you still had dry eyes after eating those cheerios. :)

:smile: About the same. The extra carbs sure messed up my sleep though.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My goal is 75 carbs a day. But I've gone as low as 20 or so, net carbs. I'm happy in the 75 range, though I find when I log, I tend to be quite a bit lower...unless I splurge with some wine. :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Yeah if I were major sick after then I'd be less likely to do it again.
    Right now, I'm already torn up b/c of the antibiotics I'm on for the eyes, so I can't tell anyway. And the kids ate all my yogurt last night... They are lucky I love them. :lol:

:smile: About the same. The extra carbs sure messed up my sleep though.

I'm with you on the side effects. I WANT them. Desperately, but I don't get them. At least that might be the sledgehammer to remind me again... My side effects are typically invisible or minimal. It stinks... But then again, labor and delivery and the pain of it all faded from my memory, too, so it might not help to have the side effects either.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Watching. Still v low sugar, like @Merrysix.
    I started 6 mths ago low carb and have been v low carb this year. Ad lib and all animal april (except girls weekend) then low histammine then mid year hope to get into something more sustainable with a few more carbs but dodge whatever causes the hay fever like response.
  • baconslave
    Options
    How are my peeps doin'?

I still have the crud. Congestion won't go away. The sinus headache is epic.

For lunch today I had a weird salad, but it turned out pretty good:
    bed of raw organic baby spinach
    half an avocado cubed
    black olives sliced
    raw broccoli
    1/2 cup of cooked and cooled peas (for resistant starch-why not?)
    mustard, vinegar, and EVOO dressing with some garlic powder and Italian seasoning

And then I made it classy by adding a cut-up hotdog... :lol:

I've been doing IF (16:8) but I'm not sure if I should continue such a large window cuz my middle-of-the-night Mummy episodes have been getting worse again. I may need a bedtime snack or something...loathe as I am to do such a thing. I'd still wait until noon to eat though. I'm just not hungry in the morning anymore.

I'm starting to figure this stuff out.

Any of you eat a spectacular mod-carb meal lately you'd like to share?
    I've been adding some more veggies and a little beans to my regular very-lc staple meals to make them fit my new WOE better. I finally felt better enough from the cold to workout yesterday, other than just a podcast-stroll. Good workout. Push-up variations and assisted dips. RAWR!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    When I have sinus/cold problems, I use this sinus rinse to clear it. It really, really helps and shortens the infection. amzn.to/1VBLmNM
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How are my peeps doin'?

half an avocado cubed
    black olives sliced
    raw broccoli
    mustard, vinegar, and EVOO dressing with some garlic powder and Italian seasoning

I've been doing IF (16:8) but I'm not sure if I should continue such a large window cuz my middle-of-the-night Mummy episodes have been getting worse again. I may need a bedtime snack or something...loathe as I am to do such a thing. I'd still wait until noon to eat though. I'm just not hungry in the morning anymore.

I've been adding some more veggies and a little beans to my regular very-lc staple meals to make them fit my new WOE better. I finally felt better enough from the cold to workout yesterday, other than just a podcast-stroll. Good workout. Push-up variations and assisted dips. RAWR!

What about something like taco soup? The only reason I've cut it out of late was beans/corn... I seem to handle tomatoes just fine in most recipes.

It's all 1:1 ratios.

1 pound burger
    1 onion (totally optional)
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 packet ranch seasoning
    1 can rotel
    1 can petite diced tomatoes
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can chili beans
    1 can corn (I prefer equivalent small bag frozen corn)

Brown meat. Brown onion. Add packets, stir through. Add everything else. Stir. Simmer 30 minutes. Serve with cheese, and if preferred, crunchy scooping option (I don't do this, my guy does). Can add sour cream, avocado, salsa, whatever Mexican food related things you like.

Adjust tomatoes/beans/corn to taste...or carb allowance.

Also, chicken tortilla soup is good, but you have to work to up the fats...lower carb than taco soup though...
  • baconslave
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How are my peeps doin'?

half an avocado cubed
    black olives sliced
    raw broccoli

What about something like taco soup? The only reason I've cut it out of late was beans/corn... I seem to handle tomatoes just fine in most recipes.

1 pound burger
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 packet ranch seasoning
    1 can rotel
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can chili beans

Brown meat. Brown onion. Add packets, stir through. Add everything else. Stir. Simmer 30 minutes. Serve with cheese, and if preferred, crunchy scooping option (I don't do this, my guy does). Can add sour cream, avocado, salsa, whatever Mexican food related things you like.

Also, chicken tortilla soup is good, but you have to work to up the fats...lower carb than taco soup though...

Yummy!
  • baconslave
    Options
    When I have sinus/cold problems, I use this sinus rinse to clear it. It really, really helps and shortens the infection. amzn.to/1VBLmNM

That stuff is basically salt and baking soda. I could make that at home. hmmmmm.... :grin:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My initial goal was 100g or less but when I am on plan I usually am between 40-80g. I do sometimes eat small amounts of rice or potatoes. And veggies of course. Occasional fruit. I avoid bread and pasta. I just got back from vacation where I did somewhat okay, as in, not pigging out like I used to, but I was not being completely strict with my eating and drinking and gained 5 pounds. Some may be just water though....

I have experience with recurrent corneal erosion and can sympathize with the eye problems. When I have an episode of corneal tear, I have to use Muro 128. There is drops or ointment It stings, but works to heal things fast. This might be counter to what you need though because the cause is different than mine.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How are my peeps doin'?

half an avocado cubed
    black olives sliced
    raw broccoli

1 pound burger
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 packet ranch seasoning
    1 can rotel
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can chili beans

For the chicken tortilla soup - puree or fine chop one onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1-2 jalapenos, seeded. Put maybe 1 TBSP preferred oil/fat in large pan, cook liquid out of onion, then add garlic (stir 1-3 minutes), then add jalapeno (cook out liquid). Add 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (I prefer with garlic). Rinse off one can of black beans and add.
    Add 2 cups stock (going for 4 total cups liquid), 2 cups water, 2 bouillion cubes (if you go all stock/water, season/salt to taste). Bring to simmer. Add raw chicken breasts (I usually double to triple the broth then use 5 pounds chicken breasts - but each time I reheat I add more broth...). Simmer on low-ish (barely bubbling/steaming) for 20-30 minutes (I test with meat thermometer, but would depend on how thin you cut it). Remove chicken to shred. Chop one bunch cilantro and add to broth. Squeeze limes and retain juice. Shred cheese. Can add chicken back to pot or add by the bowl.

Serve with chicken, cheese (if adding), add veggies and broth, salt and add lime juice to taste (I like extra salt and extra lime, my guy does not). Again, can top with avocado slices, sour cream, etc. My guy likes to add tortilla strips and such, too. I love extra broth, but if I don't add enough fats, the carbs in the beans and whatever reaction the lime juice causes trigger insulin reactions/hunger within an hour or two, so if I don't want to "fatten" up my soup, I have something fatty on the side.

And OH, I just realized I've never made this with thighs, always breasts, because it was the initial recipe, but I could SO add thighs to my batch and skip the beans - and add both to his batch! LOL Reheating is a breeze. I like the cilantro in the broth, but you could add fresh each time...

Btw, do you notice Mexican as a theme in my house? LOL!

I've got a pork shoulder roast, too, that uses apple juice/cider/or beer as part of the broth... Lemme know if you want that one. It does have brown sugar in the rub, but only 1-2 TBSP per an entire 3-5 pound pork roast, so it's not bad and doesn't generally trigger me...
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread, baconslave. And I hope you find your 'moderate' course and your eyes get better.

I have been feeling very alone in my struggles with ketosis and candida. All diets to relieve the problem are low carb and many recommend very low carb. I seem to lose weight only on very low carb but I have had flare ups every time I approached ketosis. I am trying again the last few days, and so far, no backlash, but nor am I my normal self.

Not as urgent as other problems, like eyes, but discouraging. I think I have to find the middle course too. I just haven't accepted it yet. One last experiment. I just do not want to! My mind says Keto! It is so easy and works and it is what my husband needs to eat for his diabetes.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    However I've gotten in the habit of looking for the lowest carb everything so it's just a little mindset adjustment.

It can be a tough adjustment. There are multiple strategies that can work -- slow-carb, or occasional "cheat meals" that refill glycogen (I admit to "cheating" with Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese meals once in a while).

What almost certainly doesn't work is going back to cookies, bread, and other highly processed foods that will lead to this:

CG9JB9WVIAAxln2.jpg

I fell into that cycle a bit as I tried to adjust to maintenance, and then was traveling for a week, then trying Ad Lib April. I've been logging some again to try to get a better handle on things and re-lose a few pounds before my 40th birthday hits in 2 weeks and reduce the symptoms (mostly achey joints but also just feeling bloated and icky) of eating too much sugar and processed junk.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I really kinda suck at moderate carb. I gotta figure out what I want my goal to be, right now I'm bouncing all over the place. I'm fairly certain I'm not going to lose any more lbs which is fine if I can get rid of some of the fat.