Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new here *waves* I started keto end of 2014 and found it helped me so much - I lost weight, felt amazing and felt no inclination to return to old habits, then mid 2015 I discovered I was pregnant and as soon as the morning sickness hit, so did the carb cravings!
    I had my baby girl 8 weeks ago and as I never completely derailed my weight is back to pre
    -pregnancy now and I am continuing on my journey to better health!
    Main thing for me is after what feels like a lifetime of digestive issues (heartburn, constipation, trapped wind, indigestion) it has completely gone. Honestly I went through so many antacid tablets and just don't need them anymore.
    I love the way I feel on keto diet and although I am no angel, my body reminds me why I don't eat excessive carbs by giving me back my evil digestive issues when I stray!!
    Anyway, I'm going to check in on this forum to help me stay motivated and meet like minded people

Welcome!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just checking in here. I'm completing week 4 of All Animal April (Low carbers group). It has gone well. I really haven't struggled, though, there are a few things I really miss. Macadamias, olives... I think I'm going to be done with it. I haven't lost any fat or weight throughout the process. I'm not sure which direction I want to go in. I've been very low carb for a very long time. I see some of you are increasing carbs a bit, for various reasons. I toy with that idea, but it scares me as well, because of a remote history of insulin resistance.

@Fvaisey- congrats on passing up those chocolate chip cookies!! Well done, you!
  • AbbyHolmes101
    AbbyHolmes101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very surprised that at my age, over 50, both the keto lifestyle and IF Intermediate Fasting have actually cause me to drop a few pounds! Wow! I only do the IF 2 days a week. Love the keto way of eating. Only diet I've ever tried where I don't get hungry. Yippie!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I too need to cut back on cheese. If only I could find a soy-free dairy alternative that doesn't taste like garbage... and actually tastes like cheese.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Also, I got a week temporary pass at the Y that starts tomorrow. My hub turns 40 in July and I want to lose 20lbs by then. I had also coincidentally planned to start an egg fast tomorrow. I only have 7 days to use the gym pass... Should I skip the egg fast or is it ok to do and workout at the same time?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I too need to cut back on cheese. If only I could find a soy-free dairy alternative that doesn't taste like garbage... and actually tastes like cheese.

Nutritional yeast is said to emulate the tanginess of cheese. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be great for nerve health too. I'm actually looking to place an order this week! It's great in B vitamins... I supposed it depends on how all you'd use it...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I have nutritional yeast. I've used it to make a fake grilled cheese sandwich and, though it was good, it tasted nothing like cheese.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Also, I got a week temporary pass at the Y that starts tomorrow. My hub turns 40 in July and I want to lose 20lbs by then. I had also coincidentally planned to start an egg fast tomorrow. I only have 7 days to use the gym pass... Should I skip the egg fast or is it ok to do and workout at the same time?

I think you'd be safe to try it. I've continued my exercise routine while on a water fast and found that I was ok, so I'm sure it's possible with an egg fast. Your body will let you know if you're going too far. The great thing about fasting is that you can stop anytime you change your mind.

I had my kids (and grandkids) over for dinner on Sunday. I ate so much it hurt! (not nearly as much as I could have put away 2 years ago) Most of it wasn't too bad, slaw, turnip, veggies and guacamole, lots of ham, and the killer addition of fresh strawberries and real whipped cream. I gained 5(five!) pounds.

From all our discussions and sharing I knew that some amount was water weight so I wasn't really worried. Three days later, 3 lbs have dropped off. Other than the killer cravings on Monday I feel pretty good. Yay keto! Easy to do, easy to get back on.

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »

I think you'd be safe to try it. I've continued my exercise routine while on a water fast and found that I was ok, so I'm sure it's possible with an egg fast. Your body will let you know if you're going too far. The great thing about fasting is that you can stop anytime you change your mind.

I had my kids (and grandkids) over for dinner on Sunday. I ate so much it hurt! (not nearly as much as I could have put away 2 years ago) Most of it wasn't too bad, slaw, turnip, veggies and guacamole, lots of ham, and the killer addition of fresh strawberries and real whipped cream. I gained 5(five!) pounds.

From all our discussions and sharing I knew that some amount was water weight so I wasn't really worried. Three days later, 3 lbs have dropped off. Other than the killer cravings on Monday I feel pretty good. Yay keto! Easy to do, easy to get back on.

The awesome that you have such a great handle on keto. I'm sure the other 2lbs will be gone in no time!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've really been working on going strict keto these past few weeks because I really want to get into that " fat adapted level. In the last couple of days, I'm feeling lethargic in the afternoons.....I eat my first meal around 11 am or later depending on hunger and eat last meal around 6.... I'm on day 17 of carbs under 25, with most days under 20.... Thoughts ?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Wow! Carbs under 25? From what I've read and what I do for myself is aim for 50g of carbs. I'm certainly no expert but I wonder if it's possible that your carbs are too low?
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I've really been working on going strict keto these past few weeks because I really want to get into that " fat adapted level. In the last couple of days, I'm feeling lethargic in the afternoons.....I eat my first meal around 11 am or later depending on hunger and eat last meal around 6.... I'm on day 17 of carbs under 25, with most days under 20.... Thoughts ?

I have found that red meat wakes me up. If my protein is low, I'm tired. Eat steak or bun free burger and I perk right up.
  • amberatkinsagain
    amberatkinsagain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I am brand new to this site and to Keto! Very, very green.

My struggle so far has been hitting all my fat macros (I don't even come close to it), and staying under 25 carb. There are so many carbs in things... I'm amazed. Having to log food entries and see it in front of me has been a total eye-opener.

I am just starting out, and there will be a learning curve. I am trying to think of ways to make my meals hit a higher fat content. Carbs I simply just need to educate myself more and avoid them.

Nice to 'meet' you all! Hope you all have a great day/evening :)
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! Carbs under 25? From what I've read and what I do for myself is aim for 50g of carbs. I'm certainly no expert but I wonder if it's possible that your carbs are too low?

I strive for less than 20 net carbs per day. There really isn't a "too low" carb count, as carbs are not required by the body. I know of some people who eat zero carb diets. Basically all meat. I'm not interested in that, but under 30 net is totally doable for me
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I am brand new to this site and to Keto! Very, very green.

My struggle so far has been hitting all my fat macros (I don't even come close to it), and staying under 25 carb. There are so many carbs in things... I'm amazed. Having to log food entries and see it in front of me has been a total eye-opener.

I am just starting out, and there will be a learning curve. I am trying to think of ways to make my meals hit a higher fat content. Carbs I simply just need to educate myself more and avoid them.

Nice to 'meet' you all! Hope you all have a great day/evening :)

Hi Amber. Welcome. To get higher fat in your meals, simply choose high fat content meats, like 73% hamburger or rib eye steaks. Eat chicken with the skin on (holy yummmm!), pan fry stuff in butter, and add plenty of butter to your cooked veggies. I'm sensitive to dairy, but if you aren't, cheesy sauce is great on ANYTHING, and my favorite side dish is twice baked cauliflower. Google it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »

While the body is adapting, due to the fluid dumping nature of keto, it's extremely easy for the body to get out of electrolyte balance. When this happens, the first thing to get dumped is sodium, which will make you feel very tired. The general recommendation is 5000 mg daily MINIMUM to keep the balance easier, as well as water as much as for thirst. I would suggest upping your sodium (use pink himalayan or another natural salt, but even table salt will feel like a pick me up, too). See if that helps. (and unless you have a weird genetic anamoly type of blood pressure, standard high blood pressure does not get made worse by adding salt, contrary to what we've always been told...)
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Keto accountability check in:

As of this moment, today: on track.
    Taking it hour by hour for now.
  • amberatkinsagain
    amberatkinsagain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi Amber. Welcome. To get higher fat in your meals, simply choose high fat content meats, like 73% hamburger or rib eye steaks. Eat chicken with the skin on (holy yummmm!), pan fry stuff in butter, and add plenty of butter to your cooked veggies. I'm sensitive to dairy, but if you aren't, cheesy sauce is great on ANYTHING, and my favorite side dish is twice baked cauliflower. Google it. [/quote]

Thank you so much, carsonheim!

I have the same issue! Trying to incorporate fat without too much heavy cream/butter since it does irritate me. I am okay with some cheeses, so I've been using those!

I've been mostly concentrating on using the app religiously before eating, sticking under my calorie goal even if I go over my carb intake, and planning, planning, planning. Things that I have not done previously.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Checking in again:
    Went over keto carb limit at lunch; but still hoping to keep the day's worth of carbs in lchf range, and also get right back to keto for remainder of the day.
    The struggle is real. Very, very real right now. Not exactly sure why.
    I have been steadily losing ground for about 2 months and now pants are tight that were almost falling off before. For about a year, I hardly had any trouble resisting cravings. Now I feel helpless to resist carbage that I don't even like.
    So, as of this morning I'm doing this minute by minute.
    If I want this to work as a lifestyle- and I do- I have to be able to find my way back.
    Next challenge is dinner, then at home movie time with son. May check back in later.