Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to say. I have never truly given Keto all I've got so I've never truly reaped all of the full benefits it has to offer. I've just decided to keep logging in every day and keep lurking around these boards until something resonates with me enough to make it stick.

Well, I want you to know that I don't remember ever posting on MFP before you started this discussion thread. It's been welcoming, friendly and supportive. Even when I'm not on my keto game I feel inspired here. So thank you!

Aww! Thanks Jodi. I appreciate you saying that.

The truth is, I think I just need to stop waiting for the stars to align or for the perfect day/time to get serious and just do it.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention bowling, Jodi. I'd thought about that when I saw some pics of a fun looking bowling group. I'm going to take that as a sign, and look into it!! Thanks... I'd also be a total newbie, but so what, I'll practice first.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to say. I have never truly given Keto all I've got so I've never truly reaped all of the full benefits it has to offer. I've just decided to keep logging in every day and keep lurking around these boards until something resonates with me enough to make it stick.

Well, I want you to know that I don't remember ever posting on MFP before you started this discussion thread. It's been welcoming, friendly and supportive. Even when I'm not on my keto game I feel inspired here. So thank you!

Aww! Thanks Jodi. I appreciate you saying that.

The truth is, I think I just need to stop waiting for the stars to align or for the perfect day/time to get serious and just do it.

The perfect day is today. :smiley:

I'm feeling zen right now.

• JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Funny you should mention bowling, Jodi. I'd thought about that when I saw some pics of a fun looking bowling group. I'm going to take that as a sign, and look into it!! Thanks... I'd also be a total newbie, but so what, I'll practice first.

Yay! If you get on the right league, you don't need to practice first. I was HORRIBLE - like, so bad that my handicap was 120, which is if I didn't even bother to throw the ball. My team was really supportive and I had a lot of fun. Now my average is almost 120 after two seasons.

I just proofed my post and am cracking up at how excited I sound. LOL!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

That is SO how I got started. I did a lot of blogging here about it too. Took me a full six months to dive in, and that was just to LC...took another 4-5 weeks to go Keto. And I've yoyoed back and forth...

My newest fun thing is adding in MCT oil. It feels just like the ketone energy burst you get when you hit a good keto stride...

Really? Then I guess I'm on target because I discovered Keto and this group almost 6 months ago. I've been reading and putting in random bursts of effort here and there but I have yet to hit my stride and see any significant or lasting loss.

Where would I find MCT oil?

MCT Oil is a refined version of coconut oil. It can be purchased online, in health stores, and in some grocery stores. I ordered mine off of Amazon. I got the Buried Treasure brand of "Coconut MCT Oil." Most Walmarts (don't know if you have those anywhere locally) have a brand called Carringon Farms Coconut Cooking Oil or something.

Look for Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid, and Lauric Acid under the list. Some will have all three, some will only have the first two. Lauric acid is found more easily in coconut oil (they're all there, just different proportions). (Brain Octane from the bulletproof guy only has the first one, too, but it's not necessary to do that.)

The best think about the Caprylic Acid is that it doesn't have to be broken down before being used, so it's like an energy shot of ketone energy straight to the brain. The others get broken down before they can be used.

As for getting going on full keto, the best thing is to start slow with one habit. My BFF started with just water. Then the next week, water and steps, etc. It never got crazy hard for her, going that way. Figure out what your easiest thing to do. Don't go gung ho. Figure out something small and stick with it until it's a habit. Then add something else small. Keep going until you hit the stride. It does get easier.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited February 2016
    Options

That is SO how I got started. I did a lot of blogging here about it too. Took me a full six months to dive in, and that was just to LC...took another 4-5 weeks to go Keto. And I've yoyoed back and forth...

My newest fun thing is adding in MCT oil. It feels just like the ketone energy burst you get when you hit a good keto stride...

Really? Then I guess I'm on target because I discovered Keto and this group almost 6 months ago. I've been reading and putting in random bursts of effort here and there but I have yet to hit my stride and see any significant or lasting loss.

MCT Oil is a refined version of coconut oil. It can be purchased online, in health stores, and in some grocery stores. I ordered mine off of Amazon. I got the Buried Treasure brand of "Coconut MCT Oil." Most Walmarts (don't know if you have those anywhere locally) have a brand called Carringon Farms Coconut Cooking Oil or something.

Look for Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid, and Lauric Acid under the list. Some will have all three, some will only have the first two. Lauric acid is found more easily in coconut oil (they're all there, just different proportions). (Brain Octane from the bulletproof guy only has the first one, too, but it's not necessary to do that.)

The best think about the Caprylic Acid is that it doesn't have to be broken down before being used, so it's like an energy shot of ketone energy straight to the brain. The others get broken down before they can be used.

As for getting going on full keto, the best thing is to start slow with one habit. My BFF started with just water. Then the next week, water and steps, etc. It never got crazy hard for her, going that way. Figure out what your easiest thing to do. Don't go gung ho. Figure out something small and stick with it until it's a habit. Then add something else small. Keep going until you hit the stride. It does get easier.

I think that's my problem. I never start small and "hit my stride". I jump in with both feet every time and push until I crash and burn. Then I beat myself up until I work back up to trying again and the frustrating cycle repeats itself.

I need to learn how to break it down and start small in order to develop one realistic habit at a time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I think that's my problem. I never start small and "hit my stride". I jump in with both feet every time and push until I crash and burn. Then I beat myself up until I work back up to trying again and the frustrating cycle repeats itself.

I need to learn how to break it down and start small in order to develop one realistic habit at a time.

It's hard to pull back. Are you logging in consistently daily? Are you getting your water? Your steps? Are your carbs in a decent range? Are you prepping? Pick one thing...and be realistic... I know my enthusiasm carries me away sometimes.

Maybe if you do jump in, do carbs only - ignore the breakdown and the calories until your carbs get leveled and you adapted. That's were I'm at after my holiday indiscretions. LOL
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Friday, Payday! Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Had my dance night, stayed out too late, drank more than I wanted to and then ate an extra meal. (Mostly keto, thank goodness! Hopefully my numbers will be okay by Monday weigh in.) Had fun, but questioning ability to make good choices. At least I feel alive for a couple hours
    a week! Still single and not loving it, but I'm off work til Monday morning, so yay. Hope to do something other than sleep and watch the boob tube!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Had my dance night, stayed out too late, drank more than I wanted to and then ate an extra meal. (Mostly keto, thank goodness! Hopefully my numbers will be okay by Monday weigh in.) Had fun, but questioning ability to make good choices. At least I feel alive for a couple hours
    a week! Still single and not loving it, but I'm off work til Monday morning, so yay. Hope to do something other than sleep and watch the boob tube!
    Have you checked out Meet Up for your area ? There might be something on there that you might enjoy doing and get to meet new people with common interests.
  • HenryBurke
    HenryBurke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have a designated weigh in day?
    Yes, Sunday mornings. If I go off the rails it's usually Sunday dinner. If I blow it too bad I fast on Monday to get it back together.
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Did anyone have Superbowl related issues? I had some fruit and dip but balanced it out with how wings...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    My youngest son's birthday was Sunday so we had cake and pizza and I caved and ate everything in the house I shouldn't.
    Day 1 again. sigh...
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    My youngest son's birthday was Sunday so we had cake and pizza and I caved and ate everything in the house I shouldn't.
    Day 1 again. sigh...

I think we have to resist the idea that it takes us back to day 1 to screw up... Just because we don't make the 1st down doesn't mean the game is lost... (Had to throw the football reference in... :-)
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Day 1 again. sigh...

I have to agree with @Fvaisey, just because you are starting again, does not mean "starting over" At least at this point you are not a keto noob, you know what needs to be done, and you can do it. I know I made it sound easy, but honestly, it CAN be that easy if you let it be. Don't fight what you know is the right thing for you. You got this.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Did anyone have Superbowl related issues? I had some fruit and dip but balanced it out with how wings...

I made chicken wings last night (caveman keto's recipe) and we had celery and red peppers just to make it festive. My DH and my son dug in and loved it. My son had to stop at three wings- saying they were really filling. That's my boy!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Day 1 again. sigh...

I think we have to resist the idea that it takes us back to day 1 to screw up... Just because we don't make the 1st down doesn't mean the game is lost... (Had to throw the football reference in... :-)

I know she didn't mean literally, y'all. She's just frustrated...again! LOL Having lost 100 pounds - she's not going to wipe the slate and clear off that accomplishment any time soon. I think she just mean readapting or what-have-you.
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Day 1 again. sigh...

I know she didn't mean literally, y'all. She's just frustrated...again! LOL Having lost 100 pounds - she's not going to wipe the slate and clear off that accomplishment any time soon. I think she just mean readapting or what-have-you.

I think it's just so easy to forget what we have accomplished when we have a setback. Sometimes that bump in the road looks so overwhelming that we can't see how far we've come.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy when it come to being blinded by the bumps... That's why I keep coming here to see all of the proof that persevere produces results.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Day 1 again. sigh...

Exactly. Frustrated.
    Frustrated with myself. Not being able to stay in ketosis for more 2 weeks without a carb screw-up of some kind. It's mostly been on the account of nuts or other LC foods. An insane craving for them. I've been in and out of ketosis so much I'm pretty sure I'm not even keto-adapted anymore. I'm always wanting to eat so I'm having a terrible time keeping calories reasonable. I haven't ever really enjoyed the "never hungry" feeling of keto. I think I experienced it briefly, for maybe about a month, then the appetite came roaring back even though I was 100% on-plan for the 1st 6months. That was over a year ago.

So I'm currently up about 8lb from my goal weight from my exasperating appetite. Some of it is water from the recent cheat. Some of it isn't. It's frustrating to not be able to eat very much in maintenance. Especially when you love the foods in your WOE. And having that annoying constant drive to stuff my face is a major hurdle.

My chronic fatigue has returned so I'm tired all the time. It's freezing all the time so I'm always cold. I can't read (or have blurry vision) half the time. I finally have an appt for the eye dr tomorrow should the snow not fubar the roads up too much.

I'm just a miserable human being right now.
    I guess I just held out some hope that I would be able to eat ad libitum with my body regulating itself as it should. Clearly that isn't the case with me. I'm always going to struggle with the urge to eat all the time.

And I'm running out of gum. Which is bad, because if I don't have gum in my mouth, the urge to stuff it with pork rinds and sour cream dip, cheese, and nuts is insane.
    I'm going to go stop whining and sniff a bunch of peppermint oil and pretend that works. :lol:

I think it's just so easy to forget what we have accomplished when we have a setback. Sometimes that bump in the road looks so overwhelming that we can't see how far we've come.

And sometimes we've come so far, we know EXACTLY what we have to lose. I'd lost 102lbs. Now I'm back to Minus 93. I know me. I know all the weaknesses and faults. There is no room to fool around before the fire engulfs the whole thing.
    It needs nipped in the bud.
    Tough love required.