Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    LeslieinOC wrote: »
    I don't comment much here, but I try to catch up with everyone every few days......anyway, the nut discussion struck a nerve. For me it is peanut butter that I have the hardest time with. I keep a jar in the pantry for my grandson since it is the only sandwich he will eat at school. In the evening around 7 or 8 that stupid jar calls my name. If I cave I always add 1 T of Kerrygold butter to up the fat, plus I love the combo but 300 calories and 7 gm carbs just isn't good on a semi consistent basis. I get so mad at myself. I don't use any sugar or artificial sweetness so I'm not sure how to handle those cravings for something sweet after a savory meal. Any suggestions? I do try and drink sweet herbal tea blends which helps, but even so that peanut butter siren call.....

Get no sugar peanut butter or make your own. At least it won't have the sugars in it. I bet it would call to you less then.

baconslave wrote: »
    I just binged on nuts. I hope it wasn't enough to kick me out of ketosis. I don't know why the hell I can't stay out of them. It doesn't help that DH leaves the can out on the counter and eats them in front of me all the time. And I crave them so BAD sometimes. It's absurd. I never liked nuts until keto. I was too busy eating chocolate by the bagful before. BAH!

The last 10days were probably all for nothing now, and I have to start all over again. :rage:
    Nuts of all things!!! I can stay out of the kids' snack cabinet with all kinds of Lindt chocolates in it. But not the nuts. ARGHHHHHHHHH! So MAD at myself. I'm going to ask DH if he'll let me put them in a cabinet, too. Of course he'll just tell me to "control myself." Which I obviously can't...sigh.

Remember, roasted and salted nuts are hard wired for you to crave more. Switch to raw nuts. Don't buy the others. My guy will criticize me for my lack of willpower too, as he goes outside to smoke a damned cigarette. Really?

Anyway, nuts are a near perfect blend of fat, protein, and carbs... So we crave them when we're missing a component. Or even the salt. Maybe try "rinsing" off the nuts before you eat them to get rid of some of the salt?

And as for your theory to eat a small portion every day, if you already have the binge tendency toward them, that could work perfectly - or blow up in your face. If hubby won't put the cannister up in the cabinet, camouflage them. Wrap them up in a towel or paper or create a bold, large label that says "HUBBY'S" or something on them. Just identifying something as not mine helps... If I think it is okay, it will burn in the back of my mind, tempting me for all eternity until I give in over and over and over again...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    LeslieinOC wrote: »
    I don't comment much here, but I try to catch up with everyone every few days......anyway, the nut discussion struck a nerve. For me it is peanut butter that I have the hardest time with. I keep a jar in the pantry for my grandson since it is the only sandwich he will eat at school. In the evening around 7 or 8 that stupid jar calls my name. If I cave I always add 1 T of Kerrygold butter to up the fat, plus I love the combo but 300 calories and 7 gm carbs just isn't good on a semi consistent basis. I get so mad at myself. I don't use any sugar or artificial sweetness so I'm not sure how to handle those cravings for something sweet after a savory meal. Any suggestions? I do try and drink sweet herbal tea blends which helps, but even so that peanut butter siren call.....

Get no sugar peanut butter or make your own. At least it won't have the sugars in it. I bet it would call to you less then.

I just binged on nuts. I hope it wasn't enough to kick me out of ketosis. I don't know why the hell I can't stay out of them. It doesn't help that DH leaves the can out on the counter and eats them in front of me all the time. And I crave them so BAD sometimes. It's absurd. I never liked nuts until keto. I was too busy eating chocolate by the bagful before. BAH!

The last 10days were probably all for nothing now, and I have to start all over again. :rage:
    Nuts of all things!!! I can stay out of the kids' snack cabinet with all kinds of Lindt chocolates in it. But not the nuts. ARGHHHHHHHHH! So MAD at myself. I'm going to ask DH if he'll let me put them in a cabinet, too. Of course he'll just tell me to "control myself." Which I obviously can't...sigh.

Remember, roasted and salted nuts are hard wired for you to crave more. Switch to raw nuts. Don't buy the others. My guy will criticize me for my lack of willpower too, as he goes outside to smoke a damned cigarette. Really?

Anyway, nuts are a near perfect blend of fat, protein, and carbs... So we crave them when we're missing a component. Or even the salt. Maybe try "rinsing" off the nuts before you eat them to get rid of some of the salt?

And as for your theory to eat a small portion every day, if you already have the binge tendency toward them, that could work perfectly - or blow up in your face. If hubby won't put the cannister up in the cabinet, camouflage them. Wrap them up in a towel or paper or create a bold, large label that says "HUBBY'S" or something on them. Just identifying something as not mine helps... If I think it is okay, it will burn in the back of my mind, tempting me for all eternity until I give in over and over and over again...

That's what I did with all the chocolates and chips and Lil' Debbies. Belongs to the kids. Not eating them. They aren't mine. You'll bet I grit my teeth and get pissy when DH eats my pork rinds. He has 2 whole gd bags of chips. Don't. Touch. My. Pork Rinds!

So I have now told myself that the mixed nuts (which DH has picked all the non-cashews and non-peanuts out of) and the big can of cashews belong to him and the kids. The 2 little cans of almonds and pecans are mine and that is all I will touch. The sunflower seeds are mine. If they fit in my day, I will have an oz and will NOT upend the can repeatedly in my mouth until they are gone. I will think about rinsing them...the almonds and pecans I have right now are sea salt and they don't sing to me as much. I think it's something in the legume "nuts" that sets me off. Spanish peanuts aren't as much of a problem as the regular either...weirdness.

I second the "peanut butter" change. I got 2 jars of 50% less sugar pb. I haven't reached in the first jar with a spoon in a month. When combined with jelly for their PBJ sandwiches, the kids will eat it and don't notice.

• kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    2 weeks of Keto down! I'm feeling so good now. No trace of Keto flu anymore and I'm not rushing to eat breakfast to clear morning fog-head. It feels wonderful to only get tired at bedtime. I don't think I've felt that way for over 5 years! I should have done this years ago. Onward and upward!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Hoping I'm back in Keto again. Yesterday was a very low carb day, got up and hit the exercise bike and fasting till lunch. I think I need to get a tester.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    2 weeks of Keto down! I'm feeling so good now. No trace of Keto flu anymore and I'm not rushing to eat breakfast to clear morning fog-head. It feels wonderful to only get tired at bedtime. I don't think I've felt that way for over 5 years! I should have done this years ago. Onward and upward!
    . Isn't it great when the brain fog and energy levels raise ?? I don't think we realize how cruddy we feel until we make a change and able to make a turn around. Great work !

• MelaniePatience
    MelaniePatience Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm newish. I started in December and went slightly off plan for Christmas. I have about 25 lbs to lose. I was trying to low carb it before (no bread, pasta etc. and very little fruit) but I couldn't believe when I looked in to keto, just how low i'd have to keep it. The biggest problem for me is the veggies. I always considered veggies as a "free" food. Now when I pick on an extra piece of broccoli, I feel guilty. I have had only marginal success so far. I'm astounded when I hear of some of huge losses people have had in the same time frame. I'm not even sure if I am in ketosis. I don't seem to have the symptoms and my ketostix don't change color (I know they aren't that accurate) but I have energy to work out 5 or 6 times per week so I must be using fat for energy right?

Any advice/ tips would be appreciated. I'm considering buying a ketone meter from amazon. What do you think?
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm newish. I started in December and went slightly off plan for Christmas. I have about 25 lbs to lose. I was trying to low carb it before (no bread, pasta etc. and very little fruit) but I couldn't believe when I looked in to keto, just how low i'd have to keep it. The biggest problem for me is the veggies. I always considered veggies as a "free" food. Now when I pick on an extra piece of broccoli, I feel guilty. I have had only marginal success so far. I'm astounded when I hear of some of huge losses people have had in the same time frame. I'm not even sure if I am in ketosis. I don't seem to have the symptoms and my ketostix don't change color (I know they aren't that accurate) but I have energy to work out 5 or 6 times per week so I must be using fat for energy right?

Any advice/ tips would be appreciated. I'm considering buying a ketone meter from amazon. What do you think?

Don't buy the meter, get precision extra free from here.

https://www.choosefreestyle.com

If ketone urine strips are not turning color, blood ketone meter probably won't help. What type of veggies do you eat?
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    It's often said in this forum that once you are fully keto adapted the urine strips show little to no ketones in the blood. Once you've reached that point a blood or breath meter is much more accurate. It's also noted that if you are below 50 carbs a day for any significant number of days then you are definitely in ketosis. At some point above 50 carbs/day, some people may drop out of ketosis.
  • MelaniePatience
    MelaniePatience Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any yellow or orange veggies. It's brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce and the occasional cauliflower. From next week, I'm going to give up my HWC in my coffee and just use coconut oil. Giving up the cream cheese too which I still eat sparingly but ready for some serious fat loss. Gross carbs are usually 20g. Some days could be 22. There was one day were it was 30 but I think half was still fibre. I left my food diary public if anyone would like to take a look and offer constructive criticism.
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Can't see how you wouldn't be in Ketosis. The only other factor that I know of, would be excess protein. Excess protein can be converted to carbs, however I believe it would take over 100g/day of protein to kick most people out of ketosis.

I've only experienced the classic ketotic tell tales a couple of times, stinky urine or sweat or keto breath. The fact that you are able to do your workouts and have good energy makes me believe you are in ketosis.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Headed to the neurologist this week. I get to tell him I've gone nearly 4 weeks with no traces of headaches, tremors, or seizures. Bonus: I've lost 14 lbs. A quiet brain makes for a happy Kimbo! Why didn't I do this sooner?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Headed to the neurologist this week. I get to tell him I've gone nearly 4 weeks with no traces of headaches, tremors, or seizures. Bonus: I've lost 14 lbs. A quiet brain makes for a happy Kimbo! Why didn't I do this sooner?

I think that's a question we all ask... Honestly, this WOE seems so restrictive for a carbivore... We get so hooked on sugar, and we think it makes us feel good, giving it up makes us feel like 3-4 year old children throwing tantrums. And before I found MFP and these groups, I never knew the real truth of the difference it could make - or that it was truly possible FOR ME...
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

That's amazing! For me, since my only motivation for doing Keto right now is weight loss, I'm having a tougher time staying consistent. I'm hoping that sticking around and seeing others' success will eventually make me want my own bad enough to do the work for myself.
  • baconslave
    Options

I think that's a question we all ask... Honestly, this WOE seems so restrictive for a carbivore... We get so hooked on sugar, and we think it makes us feel good, giving it up makes us feel like 3-4 year old children throwing tantrums. And before I found MFP and these groups, I never knew the real truth of the difference it could make - or that it was truly possible FOR ME...

For a long time we don't know. After all, we're constantly told a calorie is a calorie and the brain needs glucose and HealthyWholeGrains. I did a million diets since I was a teen. I did a 70s version of WW that was pretty much Atkins. I was very successful on it my senior year in high school. But in college, the sugar won out and I ended up even fatter. Obese even. Eventually, I ended up with gestational diabetes with my 4th child. It wasn't cured after the birth and I kindof stumbled onto keto. I knew then. But my addict brain, my food-demon, my Loki, kept at me, telling me I HAD TO have my sugar. By the bagful. So when the dr said my A1c was normal and I was "cured of diabetes," I followed my little addict and ate my way back up to 260lb. I KNEW, but I didn't want to hear it.

It took my mother nearly dying from complications to an entirely preventable disease, diabetes. I got a clear smack in the face showing me which path I was hurtling down. At that point I was able to admit and internalize what I knew, "I can't eat sugar and starches." I grieved. It was like losing a loved one. But I did it. I commited to it. Every day I reminded myself "you see what's happening? This is because of what you AREN'T eating! That *kitten* makes you fat and sick. STOP IT!"

Now I'm maintaining a 102ish lb weight loss. After consistently making good little decisions multiple times a day. Little steps on the right path every day for over a year.

It only took me 17 years to figure it all out accept what I already knew, but didn't want to believe... :lol:
  • pwrfl1
    Options

For a long time we don't know. After all, we're constantly told a calorie is a calorie and the brain needs glucose and HealthyWholeGrains. I did a million diets since I was a teen. I did a 70s version of WW that was pretty much Atkins. I was very successful on it my senior year in high school. But in college, the sugar won out and I ended up even fatter. Obese even. Eventually, I ended up with gestational diabetes with my 4th child. It wasn't cured after the birth and I kindof stumbled onto keto. I knew then. But my addict brain, my food-demon, my Loki, kept at me, telling me I HAD TO have my sugar. By the bagful. So when the dr said my A1c was normal and I was "cured of diabetes," I followed my little addict and ate my way back up to 260lb. I KNEW, but I didn't want to hear it.

It took my mother nearly dying from complications to an entirely preventable disease, diabetes. I got a clear smack in the face showing me which path I was hurtling down. At that point I was able to admit and internalize what I knew, "I can't eat sugar and starches." I grieved. It was like losing a loved one. But I did it. I commited to it. Every day I reminded myself "you see what's happening? This is because of what you AREN'T eating! That *kitten* makes you fat and sick. STOP IT!"

Now I'm maintaining a 102ish lb weight loss. After consistently making good little decisions multiple times a day. Little steps on the right path every day for over a year.

It only took me 17 years to figure it all out accept what I already knew, but didn't want to believe... :lol:

Wow ! Well said !!! Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in trying to lose x amount of pounds by such and such date, or she did it in 4 months, why aren't I ? And then I read your post and realize there is a way bigger picture out there with this WOE. And it is about making good decisions multiple times a day....I just needed to hear that from someone else !!!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I was out of town this past weekend, and this was my first real test with eating out. I'm happy to say I didn't do too bad. I track every day, but the restaurants we went to did not have nutritional info for their menus so I had to go pretty generic with my logging. My weight was pretty much the same when I came home from when I left, so I considered that a Win.
  • baconslave
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I was out of town this past weekend, and this was my first real test with eating out. I'm happy to say I didn't do too bad. I track every day, but the restaurants we went to did not have nutritional info for their menus so I had to go pretty generic with my logging. My weight was pretty much the same when I came home from when I left, so I considered that a Win.

Def a win. They sneak carbs in everything. :angry:
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »

Def a win. They sneak carbs in everything. :angry:
    Boy that is the truth ! I was pretty excited to see scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, and dug right in. It wasn't till later did I remember that most restaurants add pancake mix to their eggs to make them fluffier !

• baconslave
    Options
    I'm inordinately pissed right now. I finally got my weight back down to goal. Almost. I was at 150.2 yesterday. Today I was 153.8lb. I'm doing my alternate day fasting protocol. I've been working really hard. It's just frustrating. I was hoping my weight would reach 150 and stay so this week would be the last of the fasting so I could resume my recomp. I've been so perfect. My body is a jerk.

Enormous sigh in progress...oh well KCKO.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm inordinately pissed right now. I finally got my weight back down to goal. Almost. I was at 150.2 yesterday. Today I was 153.8lb. I'm doing my alternate day fasting protocol. I've been working really hard. It's just frustrating. I was hoping my weight would reach 150 and stay so this week would be the last of the fasting so I could resume my recomp. I've been so perfect. My body is a jerk.

Enormous sigh in progress...oh well KCKO.

You have my most heartfelt sympathies, sincerely. My body is a total jerk, too. Different reasons, but same asinine annoyance. We will survive this.

Remember, sanity IS optional.