Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up with y'all on this forever long thread! Welcome all y'all new folks! ;) Greetings to everyone else I already know and love.

Finally back on track after the holidays off...feeling the good keto-ness, but still struggling with water and weight. Lost 2 pounds, kept it off a day, gained it back the day after and been on a slow climb since. Guess I'm having to reconvert my muscles back to fat burners - and I know that's applicable, because I had one of those random-real life intense short quick workouts necessary, and within a minute or two, my arms and legs were screaming that they were dying. No DOMS the next day - just no fuel to the muscles. LOL So I guess I'll take it as it comes.

I can tell you, it's be ages since I made fat bombs because I totally screwed some up yesterday! LOL Think they are tolerable now, but I really need to do a keto shopping trip since I haven't since early December!

hope all are well.

Oh, and two articles making the rounds right now that need to be read!!

First one: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

And it's Part two: http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/

And the second one, particularly given how many of us have joint and other issues: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

I got to it from here: http://www.gwens-nest.com/life/what-i-didnt-know/

Anyway, I've been supplementing boron for over a week now, and I'm glad to say I can tell a difference, slow and steady.

Additionally, make sure if you're taking D3 that you're taking it with K2 - makes sure to shuffle that stuff (and calcium) off where it needs to go so it isn't cluttering up the veins and arteries... Makes a huge energy difference too...
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Good to see your smiling face around here. You are such an inspiration to me, I love your practicalness you give to this WOE as well as all the information. Thank you for being you !
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I think the world is conspiring against me having my morning workouts. Between the snow and meetings and errands I've only been on the bike twice in two weeks. I'm glad that MFP has a cardio entry for operating a snow blower. lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Finally caught up with y'all on this forever long thread! Welcome all y'all new folks! ;) Greetings to everyone else I already know and love.

Finally back on track after the holidays off...feeling the good keto-ness, but still struggling with water and weight. Lost 2 pounds, kept it off a day, gained it back the day after and been on a slow climb since. Guess I'm having to reconvert my muscles back to fat burners - and I know that's applicable, because I had one of those random-real life intense short quick workouts necessary, and within a minute or two, my arms and legs were screaming that they were dying. No DOMS the next day - just no fuel to the muscles. LOL So I guess I'll take it as it comes.

I can tell you, it's be ages since I made fat bombs because I totally screwed some up yesterday! LOL Think they are tolerable now, but I really need to do a keto shopping trip since I haven't since early December!

hope all are well.

Oh, and two articles making the rounds right now that need to be read!!

First one: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

And it's Part two: http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/

And the second one, particularly given how many of us have joint and other issues: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

I got to it from here: http://www.gwens-nest.com/life/what-i-didnt-know/

Anyway, I've been supplementing boron for over a week now, and I'm glad to say I can tell a difference, slow and steady.

Additionally, make sure if you're taking D3 that you're taking it with K2 - makes sure to shuffle that stuff (and calcium) off where it needs to go so it isn't cluttering up the veins and arteries... Makes a huge energy difference too...

Thanks for the PM about the borax one. I'm looking in to getting some.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    I think the world is conspiring against me having my morning workouts. Between the snow and meetings and errands I've only been on the bike twice in two weeks. I'm glad that MFP has a cardio entry for operating a snow blower. lol
    Anything involving snow removal is calorie burner in my book - actually, I think it should be double the calories burned if there is any wind ....Brrrr!! Lol.
  • baconslave
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Anything involving snow removal is calorie burner in my book - actually, I think it should be double the calories burned if there is any wind ....Brrrr!! Lol.

Agreed.

Day 9 of 100 Days of Keto...
    Doing fine with carbs. It's the WANT TO EAT ALL THE MEAT AND FAT over my current calories that is hard. There's a bunch of pork butt in the fridge, mixed with its own fat and LC BBQ that sang to me all night. It's in the queue for lunch today. :love: I wanted to eat the h3ll out of that last night. But I refrained. Eyes on the prize...

I'm back down the water weight almost. Now I just need to lose 2.4lb to get back down to my goal weight. A lot of it is probably muscle. I DID increase my strength days from 2 to 3 over the last 1.5 months and started lifting heavier. But I want that scale down. So I shall actively begin a "cut" on Monday, which will hopefully be short, so I can get back to my eating more cals in pursuit of MOAR MUSCLE!

TGIF, right? Have a great one everyone.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Agreed.

Doing fine with carbs. It's the WANT TO EAT ALL THE MEAT AND FAT over my current calories that is hard. There's a bunch of pork butt in the fridge, mixed with its own fat and LC BBQ that sang to me all night. It's in the queue for lunch today. :love: I wanted to eat the h3ll out of that last night. But I refrained. Eyes on the prize...

I'm back down the water weight almost. Now I just need to lose 2.4lb to get back down to my goal weight. A lot of it is probably muscle. I DID increase my strength days from 2 to 3 over the last 1.5 months and started lifting heavier. But I want that scale down. So I shall actively begin a "cut" on Monday, which will hopefully be short, so I can get back to my eating more cals in pursuit of MOAR MUSCLE!

I find that I need accountability in literally every aspect of this journey. I like your idea of committing to a certain # of days as a streak for Keto. Want a buddy? What are your specific goals? To be in Ketosis? To stay under s certain # of grams of carbs each day?
  • baconslave
    edited January 2016
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Agreed.

I find that I need accountability in literally every aspect of this journey. I like your idea of committing to a certain # of days as a streak for Keto. Want a buddy? What are your specific goals? To be in Ketosis? To stay under s certain # of grams of carbs each day?

Me too. A buddy would be great. :smile:
    Right now, I'm doing 20g net and under as a goal right now, though I sometimes go as high as 50g total. Just staying in ketosis and NOT cheating, which sets my weight goals back 7 or 8 days. And the gastric upset and bloating...And then there is the keto-flu...tired of it. Nothing tastes good enough to merit all those cons.

There's a reddit keto group for this sort of challenge. https://www.reddit.com/r/100DaysofKeto/
    They are on day 12 or 13 or something. So I'm kindof following them. Ish.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Do I have to create an account for that? I can seem to access the posts.
  • baconslave
    Options

Weird. I wonder what the deal is. Maybe it doesn't like your browser? I just visited it while logged out, and I could read the posts. You just have to have an account to post comments. You can read them without one. Or you're SUPPOSED TO be able to do that. annoyed.gif

I lurked r/keto for months without a reddit account before finally "joining."

• 4031isaiah
    Options

Weird. I wonder what the deal is. Maybe it doesn't like your browser? I just visited it while logged out, and I could read the posts. You just have to have an account to post comments. You can read them without one. Or you're SUPPOSED TO be able to do that. annoyed.gif

I lurked r/keto for months without a reddit account before finally "joining."

Hmmm... I'm Canadian... sometimes that causes me to not be able to fully access what you guys can. Maybe I will try again later from my home computer.
  • baconslave
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just binged on nuts. I hope it wasn't enough to kick me out of ketosis. I don't know why the hell I can't stay out of them. It doesn't help that DH leaves the can out on the counter and eats them in front of me all the time. And I crave them so BAD sometimes. It's absurd. I never liked nuts until keto. I was too busy eating chocolate by the bagful before. BAH!

The last 10days were probably all for nothing now, and I have to start all over again. :rage:
    Nuts of all things!!! I can stay out of the kids' snack cabinet with all kinds of Lindt chocolates in it. But not the nuts. ARGHHHHHHHHH! So MAD at myself. I'm going to ask DH if he'll let me put them in a cabinet, too. Of course he'll just tell me to "control myself." Which I obviously can't...sigh.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I totally get it. My daughter, (who does not have weight issues) asked me to help her make brownies this afternoon, so I did. If you had seen me, you would have never known that I was even trying to watch my sugar or carb intake. They came out of the oven and I dove into them like my life depended on it. Once I came to my senses, I was overwhelmed with guilt and not angry but sad that I sabotaged myself AGAIN!!!! It's almost like I've struggled with my weight, how I look and how I feel about myself for so long that I wouldn't know what to do if the day ever came that I didn't have that struggle... So any time it looks like I may be getting on track and on the road to success, I do something stupid to undo my progress and perpetuate the cycle...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Just for the heck of it I decided to take my measurements again after stopping in September when I initally tried to go on maintenence. (then failed at that and went back in keto for the holiday season) To my surprise I've not only lost 14 more pounds since then, but also a combined 9 1/2 inches from six measuring points! Wowza! Did not expect that. Still pushing for those last 15 pounds now(so excited i can taste it) that will let me fit into my 1976, 40 year old Calvin Klein jeans. The ones I wore when I was 20!
    If keto was a man, I'd marry him in a New York second!!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    I totally get it. My daughter, (who does not have weight issues) asked me to help her make brownies this afternoon, so I did. If you had seen me, you would have never known that I was even trying to watch my sugar or carb intake. They came out of the oven and I dove into them like my life depended on it. Once I came to my senses, I was overwhelmed with guilt and not angry but sad that I sabotaged myself AGAIN!!!! It's almost like I've struggled with my weight, how I look and how I feel about myself for so long that I wouldn't know what to do if the day ever came that I didn't have that struggle... So any time it looks like I may be getting on track and on the road to success, I do something stupid to undo my progress and perpetuate the cycle...

I just don't know why I can't stay away from the things. They eat chips in front of me. Don't care. Chocolate bothers me a little, but I'm not even mad about it. It's weird. I can't go longer than 10 days keto without having a nut binge. I'm fine on day 9. Then on day 10, and thereafter, I CRAVE them like I can't breathe without them. I end up giving in and then eating about 4 oz of them. That on top of my other carbs for the day kicks me out. I gain back the water weight I just lost. I wonder if working a serving of them in every day will keep me from doing this? I guess it will be an experiment. They have too many darn calories...sigh.

elize7 wrote: »
    Just for the heck of it I decided to take my measurements again after stopping in September when I initally tried to go on maintenence. (then failed at that and went back in keto for the holiday season) To my surprise I've not only lost 14 more pounds since then, but also a combined 9 1/2 inches from six measuring points! Wowza! Did not expect that. Still pushing for those last 15 pounds now(so excited i can taste it) that will let me fit into my 1976, 40 year old Calvin Klein jeans. The ones I wore when I was 20!
    If keto was a man, I'd marry him in a New York second!!!!

Congrats!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I just don't know why I can't stay away from the things. They eat chips in front of me. Don't care. Chocolate bothers me a little, but I'm not even mad about it. It's weird. I can't go longer than 10 days keto without having a nut binge. I'm fine on day 9. Then on day 10, and thereafter, I CRAVE them like I can't breathe without them. I end up giving in and then eating about 4 oz of them. That on top of my other carbs for the day kicks me out. I gain back the water weight I just lost. I wonder if working a serving of them in every day will keep me from doing this? I guess it will be an experiment. They have too many darn calories..

It's worth a shot... Take nuts off their pedestal... maybe working them in will take away the novelty and satisfy your taste for them a little at a time as opposed to sporadic binges.

If only I could do the same for sweets but I know that won't work. I think what I have to do is learn to be more creative within the Keto guidelines and focus on meals that keep me satisfied so I'm not left open and vulnerable to temptation.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Nuts are evil! I don't keep them on the regular shopping list for this very reason! We received a can of Holiday Mix nuts (from my good friend who bought me all carbage, turtles, pecan brittle, wherthers, I threw everything away, except the stupid nuts! But , yes, a friend!) In a gift and they didn't last long (thankfully) but, I'm sure they are big contributor to my non movement on the scale! I hate that I still have the ability to lose it!
  • LeslieinOC
    LeslieinOC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't comment much here, but I try to catch up with everyone every few days......anyway, the nut discussion struck a nerve. For me it is peanut butter that I have the hardest time with. I keep a jar in the pantry for my grandson since it is the only sandwich he will eat at school. In the evening around 7 or 8 that stupid jar calls my name. If I cave I always add 1 T of Kerrygold butter to up the fat, plus I love the combo but 300 calories and 7 gm carbs just isn't good on a semi consistent basis. I get so mad at myself. I don't use any sugar or artificial sweetness so I'm not sure how to handle those cravings for something sweet after a savory meal. Any suggestions? I do try and drink sweet herbal tea blends which helps, but even so that peanut butter siren call.....
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Find something else for grandson. On several occasions I've had to walk an open jar of peanut butter out to the dumpster because i cant stop myself from eating it and it wrecks my diet. Some foods just trigger my binge mentality and i have to choose between remaining in denial about that or caring enough about myself to get rid if it. For this past year, i have chosen to care about myself. I've probably thrown out about $20 worth of food. I figure my health and well being is worth that much - and maybe it will help me to be smarter about thinking I'll be able to "handle" having trigger foods in tbe house. Just my thoughts on the matter. It's so hard to be vigilant sometimes, and I really miss some foods but I don't miss how I used to look and feel 130 pounds ago.

• kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was in the doc's waiting room the other day and there was an "expert" on the TV that was talking about using "can't" vs. "don't" According to this expert, (I think the show was Good Morning America) thinking to yourself that you "can't" have those makes it all the more tempting. But if you say you "DON'T" eat that, it may change your whole outlook on your WOE. Before seeing this little snippit on TV, I'd tell myself I was allergic to my binge foods- cause in all honesty- my body has shown me that it doesn't like them. But I'm trying to empower myself by just saying I don't eat that.