Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm inordinately pissed right now. I finally got my weight back down to goal. Almost. I was at 150.2 yesterday. Today I was 153.8lb. I'm doing my alternate day fasting protocol. I've been working really hard. It's just frustrating. I was hoping my weight would reach 150 and stay so this week would be the last of the fasting so I could resume my recomp. I've been so perfect. My body is a jerk.

Enormous sigh in progress...oh well KCKO.

You have my most heartfelt sympathies, sincerely. My body is a total jerk, too. Different reasons, but same asinine annoyance. We will survive this.

Remember, sanity IS optional.

Yeah, the Sane Boat done already sailed. :lol:

I know you know these f*!ng-evil-mind-numbingly-frustrating feels.

KCKO- done with a pissy-*kitten* mood, but done nonetheless... :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm inordinately pissed right now. I finally got my weight back down to goal. Almost. I was at 150.2 yesterday. Today I was 153.8lb. I'm doing my alternate day fasting protocol. I've been working really hard. It's just frustrating. I was hoping my weight would reach 150 and stay so this week would be the last of the fasting so I could resume my recomp. I've been so perfect. My body is a jerk.

Enormous sigh in progress...oh well KCKO.

You have my most heartfelt sympathies, sincerely. My body is a total jerk, too. Different reasons, but same asinine annoyance. We will survive this.

Remember, sanity IS optional.

Yeah, the Sane Boat done already sailed. :lol:

I know you know these f*!ng-evil-mind-numbingly-frustrating feels.

KCKO- done with a pissy-*kitten* mood, but done nonetheless... :wink:

Yeah, I'm currently losing, but I'm losing the ABOVE LAST YEAR'S STARTING POINT LEVELS.

So it so does not feel like it counts. Like AT ALL.

I started LCHF last year at 262. Got down to a low of 239 or so - in MARCH.

Three days again I was 265.4 or something. I've gone back up 1.5 pants sizes. I was on track, then out of nowhere, spiraled to insanity levels Friday through Sunday. Doing better so far, but damn, really? Do I hate myself that much? Or WTEF????

(hugs)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just remember- the scale is a no good lying, cheating, liar pants!!
    You'll get there. :-)
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Headed to the neurologist this week. I get to tell him I've gone nearly 4 weeks with no traces of headaches, tremors, or seizures. Bonus: I've lost 14 lbs. A quiet brain makes for a happy Kimbo! Why didn't I do this sooner?

I think that's a question we all ask... Honestly, this WOE seems so restrictive for a carbivore... We get so hooked on sugar, and we think it makes us feel good, giving it up makes us feel like 3-4 year old children throwing tantrums. And before I found MFP and these groups, I never knew the real truth of the difference it could make - or that it was truly possible FOR ME...

For a long time we don't know. After all, we're constantly told a calorie is a calorie and the brain needs glucose and HealthyWholeGrains. I did a million diets since I was a teen. I did a 70s version of WW that was pretty much Atkins. I was very successful on it my senior year in high school. But in college, the sugar won out and I ended up even fatter. Obese even. Eventually, I ended up with gestational diabetes with my 4th child. It wasn't cured after the birth and I kindof stumbled onto keto. I knew then. But my addict brain, my food-demon, my Loki, kept at me, telling me I HAD TO have my sugar. By the bagful. So when the dr said my A1c was normal and I was "cured of diabetes," I followed my little addict and ate my way back up to 260lb. I KNEW, but I didn't want to hear it.

It took my mother nearly dying from complications to an entirely preventable disease, diabetes. I got a clear smack in the face showing me which path I was hurtling down. At that point I was able to admit and internalize what I knew, "I can't eat sugar and starches." I grieved. It was like losing a loved one. But I did it. I commited to it. Every day I reminded myself "you see what's happening? This is because of what you AREN'T eating! That *kitten* makes you fat and sick. STOP IT!"

Now I'm maintaining a 102ish lb weight loss. After consistently making good little decisions multiple times a day. Little steps on the right path every day for over a year.

It only took me 17 years to figure it all out accept what I already knew, but didn't want to believe... :lol:

"Little steps on the right path every day" <= Thank you for this! I'm at 90lbs down but still need to lose another 20. I've been frustrated, sad...you all know what I'm saying. All of the feelings that come with trying and not achieving the health we want. But this quote is where it's at for forever health. Thanks baconslave!
  • JodiSW
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I was out of town this past weekend, and this was my first real test with eating out. I'm happy to say I didn't do too bad. I track every day, but the restaurants we went to did not have nutritional info for their menus so I had to go pretty generic with my logging. My weight was pretty much the same when I came home from when I left, so I considered that a Win.

Def a win. They sneak carbs in everything. :angry:
    Boy that is the truth ! I was pretty excited to see scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, and dug right in. It wasn't till later did I remember that most restaurants add pancake mix to their eggs to make them fluffier !

Seriously?! Pancake mix?! I have never hard that before. Yikes!

And well done on maintaining. I have two trips planned in the next two months...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @baconslave! I hate the scale! Even though I know this will happen, despite remaining on plan..., it doesn't get easier! The mind game is hard!! I believe the majority of us understand completely! I also feel that a good rant about it is definitely warranted to feel better! KCKO!! :wink:
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    I was out of town this past weekend, and this was my first real test with eating out. I'm happy to say I didn't do too bad. I track every day, but the restaurants we went to did not have nutritional info for their menus so I had to go pretty generic with my logging. My weight was pretty much the same when I came home from when I left, so I considered that a Win.

Boy that is the truth ! I was pretty excited to see scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, and dug right in. It wasn't till later did I remember that most restaurants add pancake mix to their eggs to make them fluffier !

And well done on maintaining. I have two trips planned in the next two months...
    . Yes, just be wary of everything, and if possible ask the right questions on how things are prepared. I will be traveling for work very shortly, and will be on the road for about 3 weeks. I'm nervous that I won't be able to hang in there with this WOE. This weekend was good practice. One thing I found that help me maintain was my butter/coffee in the mornings and eating only once or twice a day. And I definately will need to hit the hotel gym I think . Eating out was fairly easy as there was steak or kabobs on the menu...but the basic sand which place gave me anxiety!!! It's hard when you don't want to draw attention to yourself when ordering in a big group....or interrugate the server on every little detail!! It will be interesting month for sure !!! I hope your travels go well too!!!

• baconslave
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @baconslave! I hate the scale! Even though I know this will happen, despite remaining on plan..., it doesn't get easier! The mind game is hard!! I believe the majority of us understand completely! I also feel that a good rant about it is definitely warranted to feel better! KCKO!! :wink:

Yes, thanks. I know the scale is a liar. Still makes me mad. Particularly angry enough to rant today. Bad mood.
    Headed to the neurologist this week. I get to tell him I've gone nearly 4 weeks with no traces of headaches, tremors, or seizures. Bonus: I've lost 14 lbs. A quiet brain makes for a happy Kimbo! Why didn't I do this sooner?

I think that's a question we all ask... Honestly, this WOE seems so restrictive for a carbivore... We get so hooked on sugar, and we think it makes us feel good, giving it up makes us feel like 3-4 year old children throwing tantrums. And before I found MFP and these groups, I never knew the real truth of the difference it could make - or that it was truly possible FOR ME...

For a long time we don't know. After all, we're constantly told a calorie is a calorie and the brain needs glucose and HealthyWholeGrains. I did a million diets since I was a teen. I did a 70s version of WW that was pretty much Atkins. I was very successful on it my senior year in high school. But in college, the sugar won out and I ended up even fatter. Obese even. Eventually, I ended up with gestational diabetes with my 4th child. It wasn't cured after the birth and I kindof stumbled onto keto. I knew then. But my addict brain, my food-demon, my Loki, kept at me, telling me I HAD TO have my sugar. By the bagful. So when the dr said my A1c was normal and I was "cured of diabetes," I followed my little addict and ate my way back up to 260lb. I KNEW, but I didn't want to hear it.

It took my mother nearly dying from complications to an entirely preventable disease, diabetes. I got a clear smack in the face showing me which path I was hurtling down. At that point I was able to admit and internalize what I knew, "I can't eat sugar and starches." I grieved. It was like losing a loved one. But I did it. I committed to it. Every day I reminded myself "you see what's happening? This is because of what you AREN'T eating! That *kitten* makes you fat and sick. STOP IT!"

Now I'm maintaining a 102ish lb weight loss. After consistently making good little decisions multiple times a day. Little steps on the right path every day for over a year.

It only took me 17 years to figure it all out accept what I already knew, but didn't want to believe... :lol:

"Little steps on the right path every day" <= Thank you for this! I'm at 90lbs down but still need to lose another 20. I've been frustrated, sad...you all know what I'm saying. All of the feelings that come with trying and not achieving the health we want. But this quote is where it's at for forever health. Thanks baconslave!

I do indeed know. That last 20lb is no joke. It can be hard to lose. And frustrating because you've come so far, and now you have to work even harder.
    Stick with it though. You'll get there.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

So strange... I've never heard of that either.... They literally put ANYTHING in anything these days to stretch and cut corners.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

So strange... I've never heard of that either.... They literally put ANYTHING in anything these days to stretch and cut corners.

In particular, many restaurants add it (pancake batter) to omelettes, too, to add "fluffiness." Most places will allow requests for "fresh cracked" selections, but a buffet is not easy to do that. I'd probably stick to hard boiled eggs and meats on a buffet if the eggs looked fluffy/different than when I make them at home.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I skipped out of my neurologist's office today! No more botox shots to the back of my neck for tremors! No more appointments with him for tremors at all! He smiled, and said to keep him posted, log and all, because he may need to write up a study! I'm all exclamation points today!!! It's true validation for what keto is capable of. Keto.works.better.than.meds.and.shots. I'm just flying high today! KCKO for sure!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic @kimbo8435. That's better than a number on the scale!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    I skipped out of my neurologist's office today! No more botox shots to the back of my neck for tremors! No more appointments with him for tremors at all! He smiled, and said to keep him posted, log and all, because he may need to write up a study! I'm all exclamation points today!!! It's true validation for what keto is capable of. Keto.works.better.than.meds.and.shots. I'm just flying high today! KCKO for sure!

Just saw your update on my feed. Great news!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

That's great!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Anyone here use the salt pills to help with getting enough sodium? Just curious because I finally broke down to do that since I'd been having weird exhaustion slumps mid-morning since adjusting my wake-up times and readapting after the holidays. I took one last night and got what i'd call a "keto buzz" for lack of a better term. It also made me burp a lot... I was wondering if anyone had that experience. I did not take it with food, and ate dinner about an hour later. Took one this morning, but too early to tell yet.
  • JodiSW
    Options

. Yes, just be wary of everything, and if possible ask the right questions on how things are prepared. I will be traveling for work very shortly, and will be on the road for about 3 weeks. I'm nervous that I won't be able to hang in there with this WOE. This weekend was good practice. One thing I found that help me maintain was my butter/coffee in the mornings and eating only once or twice a day. And I definately will need to hit the hotel gym I think . Eating out was fairly easy as there was steak or kabobs on the menu...but the basic sand which place gave me anxiety!!! It's hard when you don't want to draw attention to yourself when ordering in a big group....or interrugate the server on every little detail!! It will be interesting month for sure !!! I hope your travels go well too!!!

On the road for three weeks does sound like a challenge - but you can do it! I just started reading (well, actually, listening to because I got it on Audible) to this book called The Thin Woman's Brain and it's really interesting. It's focused on neural networks and how to use cognitive behavioral therapy to 're-wire' your thinking. There's a lot about dopamine and science behind why we compulsively binge (which is my issue).

At the very least, just listening every day on my way to work is helping me stay focused. Maybe you could find some inspiration to put on your phone and listen to while you're traveling?

• JodiSW
    Options

This is awesome!

Are you comfortable sharing what kind of tremors you have? I'm asking because my partner has them (genetic and I can't remember now what they're called) and he's on medications that don't work very well...I'm wondering if I should make him Keto? He's a sugar burner for sure but still very lean.

Also, what ratio are you following and how long before you saw results? If you're okay sharing but don't want to post here, feel free to PM me. I'm also not offended if you totally ignore this question because it is kind of personal.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options

On the road for three weeks does sound like a challenge - but you can do it! I just started reading (well, actually, listening to because I got it on Audible) to this book called The Thin Woman's Brain and it's really interesting. It's focused on neural networks and how to use cognitive behavioral therapy to 're-wire' your thinking. There's a lot about dopamine and science behind why we compulsively binge (which is my issue).

At the very least, just listening every day on my way to work is helping me stay focused. Maybe you could find some inspiration to put on your phone and listen to while you're traveling?

Yeah, let us know when you finish the book if it's worth a listen. I don't have Audible, but I can look on OverDrive etc. for the PDF book or the audiobook, too...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

This is awesome!

Are you comfortable sharing what kind of tremors you have? I'm asking because my partner has them (genetic and I can't remember now what they're called) and he's on medications that don't work very well...I'm wondering if I should make him Keto? He's a sugar burner for sure but still very lean.

Also, what ratio are you following and how long before you saw results? If you're okay sharing but don't want to post here, feel free to PM me. I'm also not offended if you totally ignore this question because it is kind of personal.

I think this kind of thing here is the reason I absolutely LOVE MFP's groups. This kind of knowledgeshare is why the world is changing!!! And @JodiSW Nutritional Ketosis was originally started as a dietary plan to control seizures, so it would likely help most tremor patients, too.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Anyone here use the salt pills to help with getting enough sodium? Just curious because I finally broke down to do that since I'd been having weird exhaustion slumps mid-morning since adjusting my wake-up times and readapting after the holidays. I took one last night and got what i'd call a "keto buzz" for lack of a better term. It also made me burp a lot... I was wondering if anyone had that experience. I did not take it with food, and ate dinner about an hour later. Took one this morning, but too early to tell yet.

It may be something in the supplement that's giving you the burps. Is it a capsule or a tablet?
    I just mix my ketoade. 15 sec to make, 15 to chug. NO burps. And there is a full 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of NuSalt. So it's probably an additive that makes up the pill that's making that happen. Of course I can, no joke, gulp 12-16oz of liquid in 15 sec. It was funny to freak out my girlfriends back in the pre-LC days chugging a stein of beer in public. :lol: