Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends. Day 13 and all is well. When I was doing my cooking yesterday I realized that I waaaay overbought food during my last couple grocery trips. I like to buy lots of fresh veggies but I was thinking I don't think we can actually eat this volume of food before it spoils!

My eating schedule has become 2 meals per day (buttered coffee only for breakfast), and one of those meals is usually bacon and an egg. Which leaves only dinner and a huge amount of veggies in the fridge. It's only DH and I, so the food lasts longer

Yesterday I started something I've been wanting to do: if there's a show on DVR I have been really wanting to watch, I watch it while walking on the treadmill, not sitting in the sofa. So that was fun

Two more days until weigh-in. Fingers crossed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    carsonheim wrote: »
    Good morning friends. Day 13 and all is well. When I was doing my cooking yesterday I realized that I waaaay overbought food during my last couple grocery trips. I like to buy lots of fresh veggies but I was thinking I don't think we can actually eat this volume of food before it spoils!

My eating schedule has become 2 meals per day (buttered coffee only for breakfast), and one of those meals is usually bacon and an egg. Which leaves only dinner and a huge amount of veggies in the fridge. It's only DH and I, so the food lasts longer

Yesterday I started something I've been wanting to do: if there's a show on DVR I have been really wanting to watch, I watch it while walking on the treadmill, not sitting in the sofa. So that was fun

Two more days until weigh-in. Fingers crossed.

Remember, @carsonheim that most fresh veggies can be frozen for later use...either prepared or raw.... There are lots of intriguing ways to prepare things, too....like someone suggested roasting romaine lettuce leaves. I haven't had any around to try, but curious minds are intrigued! LOL
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    @carsonheim , My hubs jumped on the keto bandwagon to support me, but also as an experiment. (My man is all about the numbers and science). He lost so much in the first two weeks that he became addicted to this WOE, and now that the scale has slowed down, he still just loves eating this way. Just this weekend he found that he ran out of holes to tighten his belt! Maybe you can get your DH try it as an experiment too!

That's awesome! My DH is very thin and fit but is totally against high fat anything so it's been hard for me. I actually often have to hide some things to minimize the judgement. I think that's a big part of my lack of success.

We are still on vacay but when I get home, I think I'm going to try to get them to commit to one month with me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I am currently on my first day of vacation and already had some waffle fries but plan to do better tomorrow.
    . You will do great ! Keep logging if it helps...

The resort is all inclusive so everything is at our fingertips but very few low carb options... :/
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am currently on my first day of vacation and already had some waffle fries but plan to do better tomorrow.

The resort is all inclusive so everything is at our fingertips but very few low carb options... :/
    . Sounds like a beautiful vacation....you are certainly getting your " resistance training " in with food at your fingertips! ;)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

. Sounds like a beautiful vacation....you are certainly getting your " resistance training " in with food at your fingertips! ;)

The more you exercise that resistance muscle, the stronger it gets. :wink:

Sorry I haven't checked in much. Lots of things are going on and life has been busy and so had my involvement with the LCD group.

So my eye-nonsense did not improve much with the expensive prescrip. It's $405/month WITH a discount from the company. NICE, no? Funny thing though, I've been having a suspicion for awhile about AS and how it affects me. I was looking back at dates and the fatigue came back once I stated using Torani in my coffee and drinking diet sodas. It was a big coincidence, maybe. That's when my dry-eye started off and on coincidently. It went apocalyptic in January when I started trying to cut again and was using A LOT. Chewing lots of gum, eating jello every night, eating low-cal/low-carb yogurt, and sweetening nightly flavored herbal tea with it. I had other symptoms, too, of hot flashes at night and of irritation of the UT/kidneys...I'm not going into that further, but ladies with multiple births under their belt know what I mean.

That's not funny. Here's the funny part. I have been AS free for 2 days. And for 2 nights my eyes are only mildly a PITA. I only woke twice to use eyedrops, and there have been no close calls on the ripping. I had been waking 6 times a night and having at least 1 close call up until the first day I stopped the AS. And for 2 days, the other symptoms are going away. I have dropped 2lb of the extra weight that has been hanging around. That could be due to a decrease in cortisol from the stress of the pain at night and the not-sleeping.

I'm getting the keto buzz back after my morning keto coffee. And I haven't carb-binged in 11 days.
    It's not magic. I'm still tired, and I still have dry mouth/dry eye pretty bad. I have an appt on the 21st to have a check-up and to browbeat the dr into ordering a bunch of bloodwork. There is a MARKED difference though. I don't think there is any coincidence about it. It's the AS making everything worse. If this keeps up, I will try weaning myself off the expensive prescrip. I do think I still have an issue like Sjogren's syndrome or a hormone imbalance. We'll get to the bottom of that.

I've been using stevia once daily in my coffee. I find it disgusting, so I'm thinking of getting rid of it. :disappointed: Maybe tea would work better with it. Anyway....what else? Oh, also I've gone back to lazy keto while I'm also working on keeping the binges away since they have redeveloped. I'm doing ok. I haven't gained any so far.

Anyway, any of you all on my Mindfulness challenge will probably reread some of this over there. Apologies for that.
    Sorry this is so long.

My mood is so improved! But that could be that it's been in the 60s and sunny for days.
    I'm optimistic. :+1:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @baconslave What type of stevia are you using? I tried several, and the only one I like at all is the Sweet Leaf, and I've even gotten away from the powder. I use the liquid only now pretty much... Most of the others are bitter or taste like @$$ or something worse...

The AS thing got me too. I loved my jello fat bombs, but I have since found out that the gelatin is not good for another issue I have going on. I need to get some of the hydrolyzed collagen...but it won't firm up the same... It's imbalanced in the amino acids I need/need to avoid...

But I am loving hearing of the progress. (HUGS) I think the moods are affected by the AS, too. I'm far more ... twitchy ... for lack of a better explanation when I am getting more AS...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Sounds like you have a lot going on. Balancing work, life, family, moods, cravings, health challenges...
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Cross posted from LCD

@baconslave You might be interested in this >: http://www.i-see.org/dry_aspar.html

I stopped drinking diet soda completely, also nothing labeled "sugar free" or AS - and immediately noticed huge improvements in dry eye, dry mouth, dry skin, and weight loss.
    After a while you will not miss the sweeteners at all and find them too sweet after you've stopped for a month. Really. ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @baconslave- I'm so glad to hear things seem to be a little better. Those *kitten* make me nervous. I have some Sweet Leaf liquid and I just don't like the taste- seems bitter/chemically. I know others here really like it. If I have anything, I'll use some Erythritol. I'll use that if I'm making a LC cheesecake or muffins. I don't think it has the same side effects or insulin/glucose responses.
    It's a beautiful day here in PA as well. My unintentional "bulk", however, continues. *sigh*
  • carsonheim
    Options
    Howdy friends. Here it is day 13 of my new way of eating. Things continue to go well. I've learned a lot of new recipes that are absolutely delicious and keep me committed to this way of eating. Today I made chocolate Chia seed pudding that was OMG delicious!

I'm trying to not eat sweet Keto treats very often, but was so starving after a few hours of work today that I thought I would make it and try it. I'm so glad I did. I put a sprinkle of cinnamon and a sprinkle of Cayanne pepper in it, and they made it so so yummy!

@baconslave i'm sorry to hear about the issues with your eyes, I hope you do experience even more improvement.

That's it for my daily check up today. Catch y'all tomorrow!!

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Lol, they edited my last post. I was referring to artificial sweeteners (plural) as AS s.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Cross posted from LCD

@baconslave You might be interested in this >: http://www.i-see.org/dry_aspar.html

I stopped drinking diet soda completely, also nothing labeled "sugar free" or AS - and immediately noticed huge improvements in dry eye, dry mouth, dry skin, and weight loss.
    After a while you will not miss the sweeteners at all and find them too sweet after you've stopped for a month. Really. ;)

Thanks for that link. I knew it! It sucks, but I can't go on living like that. I'm hoping the dry mouth/nose/eyes will decrease more. If not I'll deal. I'm absolutely tired of drinking a gallon of water a day and still feeling thirsty. I just really want my palate to reset so I can find my herbal teas sweet without sweetening them. They are a relaxing part to my day that I miss.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @baconslave What type of stevia are you using? I tried several, and the only one I like at all is the Sweet Leaf, and I've even gotten away from the powder. I use the liquid only now pretty much... Most of the others are bitter or taste like @$$ or something worse...

The AS thing got me too. I loved my jello fat bombs, but I have since found out that the gelatin is not good for another issue I have going on. I need to get some of the hydrolyzed collagen...but it won't firm up the same... It's imbalanced in the amino acids I need/need to avoid...

But I am loving hearing of the progress. (HUGS) I think the moods are affected by the AS, too. I'm far more ... twitchy ... for lack of a better explanation when I am getting more AS...

It's the Kroger store brand. Liquid stevia and erythritol. It is so very artificial tasting. I'll try Sweet Leaf next time. I needed to go ahead and start my experiment and had no time to order. When I run out, I'll see about ordering it. I'll probably try it in tea in the morning.

I feel like a dark cloud has been lifted off me. Hopefully I get some good sleep again tonight.
    My unintentional "bulk", however, continues. *sigh*

I'm sorry to hear that. :disappointed: That has got to be frustrating in the extreme.
    Lol, they edited my last post. I was referring to artificial sweeteners (plural) as AS s.

LOL! It censors the most ridiculous things some times.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Howdy friends. Here it is day 13 of my new way of eating. Things continue to go well. I've learned a lot of new recipes that are absolutely delicious and keep me committed to this way of eating. Today I made chocolate Chia seed pudding that was OMG delicious!

I'm trying to not eat sweet Keto treats very often, but was so starving after a few hours of work today that I thought I would make it and try it. I'm so glad I did. I put a sprinkle of cinnamon and a sprinkle of Cayanne pepper in it, and they made it so so yummy!

@baconslave i'm sorry to hear about the issues with your eyes, I hope you do experience even more improvement.

Cayenne pepper in chia pudding? I've never heard of that.
  • carsonheim
    Options

Cayenne pepper in chia pudding? I've never heard of that.

A little heat with chocolate is delightful!!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hmmm... Do you have a recipe?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I kind of end up with insulin reactions to cinnamon, so @auntstephie321 suggested cayenne in my chocolate hemp shake, and I tried it - just a dash per serving, and it's nice. If you put to much you can taste it. I'd start with a dash and just adjust...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I kind of end up with insulin reactions to cinnamon, so @auntstephie321 suggested cayenne in my chocolate hemp shake, and I tried it - just a dash per serving, and it's nice. If you put to much you can taste it. I'd start with a dash and just adjust...

oh you can surely taste it if you put too much lol. :)
  • carsonheim
    edited March 2016
    Options
    2-week weigh in. Lost 0.6 this week. Wish it were more. I've dieted and lost weight before, and I've always been a slow loser. A little disheartening since I've got 100+ to go, but better than the opposite direction. Before going Keto I had been gaining anywhere from 2-10 pounds per month.
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hello! New to keto--started this week! I've had success losing 100 pounds in the past with very low calorie eating. Unfortunately, the last two years of medical school has really packed on the weight (about 30 pounds). This was related to lots of sitting and reading and eating tons of carbs. While my activity level will soon be changing (going into 3rd year with lots of clinical rotations and less reading books all day), I would like to change up my eating. Keto makes sense considering the biochemical mechanism behind it.
    I'm struggling with "what to eat" though. Eggs, cheese, avocado, chicken and broccoli is getting old.