Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    In truth, dairy will still stall me and cause slight gain (if I have more then trivial amounts). I just really like it, so I include it knowing the cost.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm new to this group and new to the Keto WOE. Working hard to make this the new normal.

Ive been on Keto for 8 days now successfully. I'm feeling quite hopeful about making this a way of life.

A little about me: I'm 49, live in TX and have been overweight/obese for most of my life. My starting weight last week was 256. I'm 5'2". So that's pretty high for my height.

I have a very strong addiction to sugar. I went sugar free (99% - see next paragraph) a year or so ago and was faithful for about 3 months. Don't know what happened but somehow I went off the rails and was in the grips of addiction once again. In that time I gained another 20 pounds.

During every attempt to reduce my weight FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS, there was one thing I would NOT give up: my Coffemate flavored creamers with sugar. I'd always rationalize that this was just a small thing, and I could work it into a healthy diet and lose weight. For 30 years. 30!!

Anyhow, today I gave it up. I made delicious bulletproof coffee that I LOVED this morning. I can do this.

I look forward to getting to know you all and participating in the forums.

Oh, one quick question: pros and cons of counting calories? Who does, who doesn't and why? I'm currently striving for 1500 but usually end up around 1590-1800 every day.

Cheers!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    elize7 wrote: »
    really trying hard to ramp up the fierce factor and get back on track. dont even ask why. thank you, keto, for being a lifeline in the chaos of my crazy, unpredictable eating issues...you are always there for me.

@elize7 This is me, too. The restrictive nature of this dietary plan and the changes it brings are actually a comfort in times of stress. Rather than relaxing and riding the waves, I tend to tighten down the hatches and buckle down to strict adherence. It then becomes my calm in the storms of life!

I really want that to be me! I'm still at the point where life's stresses cause me to crack and find comfort in cheese and chocolate. I need to find my inner "fierce" and call on it instead.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Welcome @carsonheim ! My DH and I still laugh (after 2 months on keto) about our new normal WOE. We've found that our bodies really wanted to eat this way all along! You'll find that some of us count calories and some don't. I try for 20 or less carbs a day and I find that I struggle to get to 1500 calories in a day. So I don't count calories at all anymore- just carbs. One less thing to worry about!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    elize7 wrote: »
    really trying hard to ramp up the fierce factor and get back on track. dont even ask why. thank you, keto, for being a lifeline in the chaos of my crazy, unpredictable eating issues...you are always there for me.

@elize7 This is me, too. The restrictive nature of this dietary plan and the changes it brings are actually a comfort in times of stress. Rather than relaxing and riding the waves, I tend to tighten down the hatches and buckle down to strict adherence. It then becomes my calm in the storms of life!

I really want that to be me! I'm still at the point where life's stresses cause me to crack and find comfort in cheese and chocolate. I need to find my inner "fierce" and call on it instead.

@4031isaiah Honestly, I've spent a good deal of time in my head digging through all the crap to get to this most authentic me. Don't be afraid to put the dietary stuff in maintenance mode and spend some real time figuring you out. That's part of my weight stall last year, but I'm TOTALLY GOOD WITH IT, because my mind is so much more ... settled these days.

I find comfort in the convenience of eating this way... And when things get tight, battening down the hatches to drop even further in carbs makes it easier. My ex just messed me about to the tune of $3000+ that I desperately needed, and usually that would have had me face planting into a pile of whatever carby indulgence. However, I realized that in do that, I was letting him STILL CONTROL and manipulate me... RED LIGHT went off in my head. That *kitten* does not deserve ANY PART OF ME.... So it was really easy to eat on plan and just find other ways to vent at that point.

If you do not have a good friend to whom you can vent, and him /her to you, figure this out now... It is worth it's weight in gold!!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    carsonheim wrote: »
    Good morning! I'm new to this group and new to the Keto WOE. Working hard to make this the new normal.

Ive been on Keto for 8 days now successfully. I'm feeling quite hopeful about making this a way of life.

A little about me: I'm 49, live in TX and have been overweight/obese for most of my life. My starting weight last week was 256. I'm 5'2". So that's pretty high for my height.

I have a very strong addiction to sugar. I went sugar free (99% - see next paragraph) a year or so ago and was faithful for about 3 months. Don't know what happened but somehow I went off the rails and was in the grips of addiction once again. In that time I gained another 20 pounds.

During every attempt to reduce my weight FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS, there was one thing I would NOT give up: my Coffemate flavored creamers with sugar. I'd always rationalize that this was just a small thing, and I could work it into a healthy diet and lose weight. For 30 years. 30!!

Anyhow, today I gave it up. I made delicious bulletproof coffee that I LOVED this morning. I can do this.

Oh, one quick question: pros and cons of counting calories? Who does, who doesn't and why? I'm currently striving for 1500 but usually end up around 1590-1800 every day.

Cheers!!

If you can get to a point of not binging like me, stifling the boredom and stress eating like I'm prone to, and can get to a point of only eating when you're truly hungry, you can do what you like.

Personally, I set my deficit at the lowest interval, and I eat to my hunger. I loosely track my calories, but as long as my carbs are on point, I feel aces...

As you adapt (first 6-12 weeks), I generally recommend not restricting calories. There are a lot of things you burn extra to convert and such... Eat to hunger, just on plan... I'm so happy that you've been able to give up your 30 year addiction. That's amazing...

Also, use a calculator like this: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to make sure that 1500 is really where you need to be... Calories, consumed and burned, are not an exact science, so ... use your judgment, and really stop and listen to your body...
  • carsonheim
    Options

If you can get to a point of not binging like me, stifling the boredom and stress eating like I'm prone to, and can get to a point of only eating when you're truly hungry, you can do what you like.

Personally, I set my deficit at the lowest interval, and I eat to my hunger. I loosely track my calories, but as long as my carbs are on point, I feel aces...

This is my biggest struggle -- binge eating and only eating to my hunger. I've looked at food and eating as an enjoyable recreational activity. Yummy goodness. Once the yummy goes in my mouth, it's difficult to stop. I have found that the Keto meals are very satiating and so there's less of a pull to keep eating. But it's something I deal with every single day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

This is my biggest struggle -- binge eating and only eating to my hunger. I've looked at food and eating as an enjoyable recreational activity. Yummy goodness. Once the yummy goes in my mouth, it's difficult to stop. I have found that the Keto meals are very satiating and so there's less of a pull to keep eating. But it's something I deal with every single day.

The tighter I keep my carbs down and my sugars almost non-existent, it really does get easier. I have to skip the fat bombs for the most part - and only use sweetener (Sweet Leaf Stevia) to TOLERANCE, not to taste. I still have issues with bacon and pepperoni sometimes, but even that is easier to manage when keeping the carbs DOWN... It's taken me a good bit of time to work my way here, and I went on an off the rails sugar bender over the holidays...

Remember, you're human, life happens, and make the next bite on plan. Banish guilt - it's worse than any carb or calorie, EVER!
  • carsonheim
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Welcome @carsonheim ! My DH and I still laugh (after 2 months on keto) about our new normal WOE. We've found that our bodies really wanted to eat this way all along! You'll find that some of us count calories and some don't. I try for 20 or less carbs a day and I find that I struggle to get to 1500 calories in a day. So I don't count calories at all anymore- just carbs. One less thing to worry about!

Thanks for the welcome. My husband is also a keto supporter in theory. I cook and stock keto-friendly foods at our home. At work, he ends up eating lots of carbs. My worry about that is that he's eating a high-carb, high-fat diet, which is not healthy. I look forward to being a good influence on him. :smiley:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @carsonheim- you definitely don't want to do high carb, high fat (your husband), that's what really runs up the risk for cardiac disease. One or the other, but, LCHF is MUCH more fun! Welcome!!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Cheers!!

Welcome! I haven't been counting calories lately but for me, my weight loss success seems to depend on counting and restricting
  • carsonheim
    Options
    Good morning friends!

I'm sitting here enjoying my hot buttered coffee. Mmmmm mmmm good!

Yesterday I made Keto ice cream. Delicious!! I used the egg whites to make almond flavored merangue cookies. They are also quite tasty.

Last night hubby and I went to Red Lobster for Lobsterfest. It was great! I had a combo which consisted of a lobster tail, a skewer of grilled shrimp (which I subbed for breaded shrimp) shrimp scampi SWIMMING in butter, snow crab legs and a double portion of green beans (subbed for the rice). Also came with a side Caesar salad -- hold the croutons. And I asked for no biscuit. And of course, I requested extra butter!!!

Lots of protein, fat and negligible carbs. Water to drink. It's was my first time since going Keto that I hit my protein target.

While I don't normally love Red Lobster, I was really happy with this meal.

So that was my day yesterday. Tonight is the very last Downton Abbey. Who's watching???
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Almond flavoured meringue cookies? Yum! Can you share a recipe?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I am currently on my first day of vacation and already had some waffle fries but plan to do better tomorrow.
  • carsonheim
    Options
    It's the one from ketodietapp. I added 1/2 tsp of almond extract. They are YUM!
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    @carsonheim , My hubs jumped on the keto bandwagon to support me, but also as an experiment. (My man is all about the numbers and science). He lost so much in the first two weeks that he became addicted to this WOE, and now that the scale has slowed down, he still just loves eating this way. Just this weekend he found that he ran out of holes to tighten his belt! Maybe you can get your DH try it as an experiment too!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    How's everything going with you Angel?
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I am currently on my first day of vacation and already had some waffle fries but plan to do better tomorrow.
    . You will do great ! Keep logging if it helps...

• carsonheim
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    @carsonheim , My hubs jumped on the keto bandwagon to support me, but also as an experiment. (My man is all about the numbers and science). He lost so much in the first two weeks that he became addicted to this WOE, and now that the scale has slowed down, he still just loves eating this way. Just this weekend he found that he ran out of holes to tighten his belt! Maybe you can get your DH try it as an experiment too!

DH actually introduced me to Keto. I was quite skeptical. What??? All that fat??? That's just GOT to be bad for your heart!!!!!

Anyhow, he has a real hard time resisting carby temptation at work. Morning meetings with donuts and bagels, catered lunches with sandwiches and stuff, then there are cookies and stuff that people bring in for the office to share. The receptionist keeps a candy bowl stocked with different stuff all the time. Sigh.

I will journey onward and set a great example. I know -- from experience -- that nagging about it actually has the opposite effect.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Gah! The dreaded office candy bowl! I can't blame your hubs... if one of my immediate office mates had one, I'd be in deep trouble. I DO know that there is one two floors above me...