pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    I was out of town this past weekend, and this was my first real test with eating out. I'm happy to say I didn't do too bad. I track every day, but the restaurants we went to did not have nutritional info for their menus so I had to go pretty generic with my logging. My weight was pretty much the same when I came home from when I left, so I considered that a Win.

Def a win. They sneak carbs in everything. :angry:
    Boy that is the truth ! I was pretty excited to see scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, and dug right in. It wasn't till later did I remember that most restaurants add pancake mix to their eggs to make them fluffier !

Seriously?! Pancake mix?! I have never hard that before. Yikes!

And well done on maintaining. I have two trips planned in the next two months...
    . Yes, just be wary of everything, and if possible ask the right questions on how things are prepared. I will be traveling for work very shortly, and will be on the road for about 3 weeks. I'm nervous that I won't be able to hang in there with this WOE. This weekend was good practice. One thing I found that help me maintain was my butter/coffee in the mornings and eating only once or twice a day. And I definately will need to hit the hotel gym I think . Eating out was fairly easy as there was steak or kabobs on the menu...but the basic sand which place gave me anxiety!!! It's hard when you don't want to draw attention to yourself when ordering in a big group....or interrugate the server on every little detail!! It will be interesting month for sure !!! I hope your travels go well too!!!

On the road for three weeks does sound like a challenge - but you can do it! I just started reading (well, actually, listening to because I got it on Audible) to this book called The Thin Woman's Brain and it's really interesting. It's focused on neural networks and how to use cognitive behavioral therapy to 're-wire' your thinking. There's a lot about dopamine and science behind why we compulsively binge (which is my issue).

At the very least, just listening every day on my way to work is helping me stay focused. Maybe you could find some inspiration to put on your phone and listen to while you're traveling?
    . This is a fantastic suggestion, I do have audible as well as kindle. I will definitely look into the book you're listening to as well as others. Some years ago I listened to The Secret on my commute...I felt I made some big changes then .

Does anyone have suggestions on motivating or knowledgeable books they are reading now ???

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Anyone here use the salt pills to help with getting enough sodium? Just curious because I finally broke down to do that since I'd been having weird exhaustion slumps mid-morning since adjusting my wake-up times and readapting after the holidays. I took one last night and got what i'd call a "keto buzz" for lack of a better term. It also made me burp a lot... I was wondering if anyone had that experience. I did not take it with food, and ate dinner about an hour later. Took one this morning, but too early to tell yet.

It may be something in the supplement that's giving you the burps. Is it a capsule or a tablet?
    I just mix my ketoade. 15 sec to make, 15 to chug. NO burps. And there is a full 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of NuSalt. So it's probably an additive that makes up the pill that's making that happen. Of course I can, no joke, gulp 12-16oz of liquid in 15 sec. It was funny to freak out my girlfriends back in the pre-LC days chugging a stein of beer in public. :lol:

it's a tablet. Same one I found on amazon. No burps this am...

I can't do the potassium in my stuff. It makes me mad dump magnesium, but aside from that, would love to hear your "ketoade" recipe. I just chug my Borax supplement thing, so I can easy chug....sometimes. The burps came after, but it could have been the fact that I was freaking out about a house I'd passed 10 minutes before (fine then) being fully engulfed in flames on my way home that had me taking the detour past the scenic route...lol

Could have been a million factors.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I skipped out of my neurologist's office today! No more botox shots to the back of my neck for tremors! No more appointments with him for tremors at all! He smiled, and said to keep him posted, log and all, because he may need to write up a study! I'm all exclamation points today!!! It's true validation for what keto is capable of. Keto.works.better.than.meds.and.shots. I'm just flying high today! KCKO for sure!

This is awesome!

Are you comfortable sharing what kind of tremors you have? I'm asking because my partner has them (genetic and I can't remember now what they're called) and he's on medications that don't work very well...I'm wondering if I should make him Keto? He's a sugar burner for sure but still very lean.

Also, what ratio are you following and how long before you saw results? If you're okay sharing but don't want to post here, feel free to PM me. I'm also not offended if you totally ignore this question because it is kind of personal.

Warning! LONG:
    I am totally comfortable telling my story if it helps someone. Mind- this is all ME, so it may not work for another person.
    I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 15 years old. I have full tonic-clonic seizures (what used to be called grand-mal). I have 1-2 seizures per year. They were mostly controlled after 4 different medication trials. When I was a teacher, the stress caused my seizures to increase so much that I had to quit teaching. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to go back to school and get my masters in library science. My seizures like the library world much better! I currently am on the max dosage of Tegretol and Keppra for my seizures and they are mostly controlled.

When I was 35, I started shaking- my head and neck and sometimes it'd travel down my right arm. My head was turning in the same direction as it turns during my seizures. So naturally, my DH and I thought it was seizure-related. My seizure neurologist messed around with my meds- no effect. I was referred to another neuro who specialized in movement disorders.

That doc diagnosed me with cervical dystonia (cervical as in of the neck). What it means is that my brain is telling both of the muscles in my neck to turn at the same time- resulting in a Parkinson's/Katherine Hepburn-like tremor. I looked and felt old. People always thought I was telling them "no" when I was saying otherwise. My neck would contort to where I was totally twisted. It was exhausting, painful, and almost cost me my job- again. My days were spent trying to just make it sitting at my desk for 8 hours before I rushed home to lay flat on the floor: the only thing that truly made them go away. There were several triggers that would make the tremors worse: general stress, being sick in the slightest, shark week, and cold weather. In the 3 years since I've been diagnosed, I've tried two different medications (benzos are EVIL BTW) and Botox injections (6 at a time every 3 months.) The next step, as Botox was only moderately effective, was to do Deep Brain Stimulation. That was a scary thought. Once that was started, I would have to go back to have wires readjusted and new batteries. I might have leave the workplace to go on disability.

As I librarian, I did my research. I knew the ketogenic diet has done wonders for epileptics and I thought there was a real connection between my epilepsy and my dystonia. I found tons of literature on epilepsy and keto, and then I started finding Parkinson's and keto. The prescribed treatments for Parkinson's and dystonia are identical- so would keto work for dystonia? I have yet to find ANY science behind keto and dystonia.

Keto was a last ditch effort. It should have been my first!

I started Keto almost 4 weeks ago. The change was in.stan.taneous. I stopped tremoring altogether after only 2 days. My DH and I thought it was a fluke, but my days kept being tremor-free, days turned into weeks. My energy was back because I didn't have to fight the tremors. I could play in the snow with my son. I could take the dogs for a walk. I could do my part as a wife, and mom and friend! All of my tremor triggers have been tested in these 3 weeks.

Caveats: there are lots of factors that could be at play here. Did the Botox finally settle in and it's now working? Was it the stress of the holidays passing? Is it the weight loss? In any case, I am NOT stopping keto. My neuro concurs. Why mess with a good, rather fantastic, thing? My neuro said that the placebo effect of any scientific drug study generally wears off after 10 weeks. So hopefully in 6 more weeks I'll be posting my continued success!

I am at 20 carb, 73 protien, 118 fat grams for each day. I actually have trouble meeting my carbs some days. I did go through the keto flu, but with supplements I'm just fine. Yesterday, the doc validated that keto was indeed helping. "All that matters is that you're doing better," he said.

When I go into a grocery store and look down those middle aisles- all I see now are tremors! It helps when I'm carb craving to know that this WOE truly is medicine for me. I see my primary care doc next week and I hope to get a full blood workup as a baseline. Maybe I need to blog all this? I'm opening up my diary fully now. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I skipped out of my neurologist's office today! No more botox shots to the back of my neck for tremors! No more appointments with him for tremors at all! He smiled, and said to keep him posted, log and all, because he may need to write up a study! I'm all exclamation points today!!! It's true validation for what keto is capable of. Keto.works.better.than.meds.and.shots. I'm just flying high today! KCKO for sure!

This is awesome!

Are you comfortable sharing what kind of tremors you have? I'm asking because my partner has them (genetic and I can't remember now what they're called) and he's on medications that don't work very well...I'm wondering if I should make him Keto? He's a sugar burner for sure but still very lean.

Also, what ratio are you following and how long before you saw results? If you're okay sharing but don't want to post here, feel free to PM me. I'm also not offended if you totally ignore this question because it is kind of personal.

Warning! LONG:
    I am totally comfortable telling my story if it helps someone. Mind- this is all ME, so it may not work for another person.
    I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 15 years old. I have full tonic-clonic seizures (what used to be called grand-mal). I have 1-2 seizures per year. They were mostly controlled after 4 different medication trials. When I was a teacher, the stress caused my seizures to increase so much that I had to quit teaching. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to go back to school and get my masters in library science. My seizures like the library world much better! I currently am on the max dosage of Tegretol and Keppra for my seizures and they are mostly controlled.

When I was 35, I started shaking- my head and neck and sometimes it'd travel down my right arm. My head was turning in the same direction as it turns during my seizures. So naturally, my DH and I thought it was seizure-related. My seizure neurologist messed around with my meds- no effect. I was referred to another neuro who specialized in movement disorders.

That doc diagnosed me with cervical dystonia (cervical as in of the neck). What it means is that my brain is telling both of the muscles in my neck to turn at the same time- resulting in a Parkinson's/Katherine Hepburn-like tremor. I looked and felt old. People always thought I was telling them "no" when I was saying otherwise. My neck would contort to where I was totally twisted. It was exhausting, painful, and almost cost me my job- again. My days were spent trying to just make it sitting at my desk for 8 hours before I rushed home to lay flat on the floor: the only thing that truly made them go away. There were several triggers that would make the tremors worse: general stress, being sick in the slightest, shark week, and cold weather. In the 3 years since I've been diagnosed, I've tried two different medications (benzos are EVIL BTW) and Botox injections (6 at a time every 3 months.) The next step, as Botox was only moderately effective, was to do Deep Brain Stimulation. That was a scary thought. Once that was started, I would have to go back to have wires readjusted and new batteries. I might have leave the workplace to go on disability.

As I librarian, I did my research. I knew the ketogenic diet has done wonders for epileptics and I thought there was a real connection between my epilepsy and my dystonia. I found tons of literature on epilepsy and keto, and then I started finding Parkinson's and keto. The prescribed treatments for Parkinson's and dystonia are identical- so would keto work for dystonia? I have yet to find ANY science behind keto and dystonia.

I started Keto almost 4 weeks ago. The change was in.stan.taneous. I stopped tremoring altogether after only 2 days. My DH and I thought it was a fluke, but my days kept being tremor-free, days turned into weeks. My energy was back because I didn't have to fight the tremors. I could play in the snow with my son. I could take the dogs for a walk. I could do my part as a wife, and mom and friend! All of my tremor triggers have been tested in these 3 weeks.

Caveats: there are lots of factors that could be at play here. Did the Botox finally settle in and it's now working? Was it the stress of the holidays passing? Is it the weight loss? In any case, I am NOT stopping keto. My neuro concurs. Why mess with a good, rather fantastic, thing? My neuro said that the placebo effect of any scientific drug study generally wears off after 10 weeks. So hopefully in 6 more weeks I'll be posting my continued success!

I am at 20 carb, 73 protien, 118 fat grams for each day. I actually have trouble meeting my carbs some days. I did go through the keto flu, but with supplements I'm just fine. Yesterday, the doc validated that keto was indeed helping. "All that matters is that you're doing better," he said.

When I go into a grocery store and look down those middle aisles- all I see now are tremors! It helps when I'm carb craving to know that this WOE truly is medicine for me. I see my primary care doc next week and I hope to get a full blood workup as a baseline. Maybe I need to blog all this? I'm opening up my diary fully now. :)

All of this is awesome, plain and simple. I definitely think you should blog this. Heck, I'd start notes for a book. Since there's nothing out there, you could make a bunch of money and help a ton of people with all this! (hugs) Sending good thoughts for continued progress. Keto literally rewires the way your brain and muscles work, so I doubt it will wear off after the "placebo period."

So awesome.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    @kimbo8435 Your story is absolutely beyond Amazing !!!! Congrats, Congrats Congrats !!!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    @kimbo8435 Your story is absolutely beyond Amazing !!!! Congrats, Congrats Congrats !!!!!

Ditto!
  • bashfulplatypus
    bashfulplatypus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Great! So, my story is that I discovered the Keto diet in August and went gung-ho for about a month. I was having some unrelated digestive issues at the time so even though I felt better, weight loss was minimal. I struggled a lot mentally to stay focused because I felt really discouraged by the scale. Until eventually carbs creeped back up creating cravings that I lost the willpower to fight.

I feel like I needed external motivation to smack me up and pull me back from the edge before I went overboard. Since I don't have anyone in my real life who understands this way of eating, my anonymity here made it easy for my struggles to go unchecked. Old patterns ended up being repeated and I crashed and burned as per usual.

I'm here because I want a new "usual".

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Can't believe my eyes, but I think I had a mini scale woosh this am! We'll see if it sticks around, but I really needed that little rush of excitement after a slow moving few months! Now I remember why I love this way of eating - it's taking me right where I want to go! Washed away the greys last night so - feeling alright...
    And I'm lovin' it. Pretty good for Monday morning.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Can't believe my eyes, but I think I had a mini scale woosh this am! We'll see if it sticks around, but I really needed that little rush of excitement after a slow moving few months! Now I remember why I love this way of eating - it's taking me right where I want to go! Washed away the greys last night so - feeling alright...

Congrats Elize! It's nice to know that even when plateaus happen, they will woosh away if we stick with it! Have a great Monday!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Congrats Elize! It's nice to know that even when plateaus happen, they will woosh away if we stick with it! Have a great Monday!

Great reminder to persevere.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Had the biggest slip up yesterday with some candy and sweet breads .....and I'm paying for it today. It's BPC coffee for me until dinner.....
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of activity since I last checked in. Had a pretty good week as I was off from work. Shed a lot of stress and got back on track with my eating. Hoping to shed the last 15lbs to get to my goal weight in the next 3-4 months!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Wow a lot of activity since I last checked in. Had a pretty good week as I was off from work. Shed a lot of stress and got back on track with my eating. Hoping to shed the last 15lbs to get to my goal weight in the next 3-4 months!

That's great!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to say. I have never truly given Keto all I've got so I've never truly reaped all of the full benefits it has to offer. I've just decided to keep logging in every day and keep lurking around these boards until something resonates with me enough to make it stick.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I haven't been posting much because I don't have much to say. I have never truly given Keto all I've got so I've never truly reaped all of the full benefits it has to offer. I've just decided to keep logging in every day and keep lurking around these boards until something resonates with me enough to make it stick.

That is SO how I got started. I did a lot of blogging here about it too. Took me a full six months to dive in, and that was just to LC...took another 4-5 weeks to go Keto. And I've yoyoed back and forth...

My newest fun thing is adding in MCT oil. It feels just like the ketone energy burst you get when you hit a good keto stride...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

That is SO how I got started. I did a lot of blogging here about it too. Took me a full six months to dive in, and that was just to LC...took another 4-5 weeks to go Keto. And I've yoyoed back and forth...

My newest fun thing is adding in MCT oil. It feels just like the ketone energy burst you get when you hit a good keto stride...

Really? Then I guess I'm on target because I discovered Keto and this group almost 6 months ago. I've been reading and putting in random bursts of effort here and there but I have yet to hit my stride and see any significant or lasting loss.

Where would I find MCT oil?
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Have been redoubling my keto efforts to lose weight. Seems to be working as I've been shedding some poundage again. Measuring everything. I'm always amazed at how carb creep slips in when my guard is down. It's like I go into denial and wonder why I'm stalling. Well hopefully this will be a good run.
    Alls well. Going through the motions of daily life not uber happy or unhappy. Trying to save money for surgery since my body is like an empty skin sack in some places.
    Decided to add another weekly activity to my social opportunities agenda. Still feel too isolated. Any ideas for fun, regular activities where you might meet people and become part of a group? Would love to hear ideas on that...
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options

This is awesome!

Warning! LONG:

Thank you so much for all of this information! I'm going to have a chat with him about it. We don't live together so it'd be a big change for him because he eats easy - lot's of sandwiches, cheese and crackers, etc... But maybe he'd be willing to give it a shot for the potential benefits.

AND I am SO thrilled for you that keto has made such a positive change in your health. It's inspirational because it makes me contemplate the wonderful things that it's doing for my insides, as well as the weight loss.
  • JodiSW
    edited February 2016
    Options

Well, I want you to know that I don't remember ever posting on MFP before you started this discussion thread. It's been welcoming, friendly and supportive. Even when I'm not on my keto game I feel inspired here. So thank you!
  • JodiSW
    Options
    Have been redoubling my keto efforts to lose weight. Seems to be working as I've been shedding some poundage again. Measuring everything. I'm always amazed at how carb creep slips in when my guard is down. It's like I go into denial and wonder why I'm stalling. Well hopefully this will be a good run.
    Alls well. Going through the motions of daily life not uber happy or unhappy. Trying to save money for surgery since my body is like an empty skin sack in some places.
    Decided to add another weekly activity to my social opportunities agenda. Still feel too isolated. Any ideas for fun, regular activities where you might meet people and become part of a group? Would love to hear ideas on that...

I joined a bowling league at the local bowling alley. Truth be told, I knew a few people who were in it but hadn't bowled since I was a kid. It has been super fun! It's something where I'm moving and I've met a lot more people who live in my area. A few years ago I went to a weekly chess night at my local pub. That was a lot of fun also.

Socializing is good! I just make sure to have a good keto meal before I go so it's not as tempting to eat carby snacks.