Did you swim today?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    2000 56:40
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    The Race Club has good info on kicking drills etc including ankle flexibility training on land.
    @emmab0902 Thanks for that tip - what a great source of high quality Videos and Information.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    The Race Club has good info on kicking drills etc including ankle flexibility training on land.

Thank you! Meanwhile, I worked on kicks again yesterday, and feel like I made progress. :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    nuffer wrote: »
    3700 yards in 86 minutes. Was trying for a single set of two miles but calf cramps thwarted me at the 3100 yard mark.

Mustard is your friend.
    Also try MIO fit in water while doing laps. I used to have to sip every 10 laps. Now I do at least 40 laps between sips.
  • fishgutzy
    In China now. Hoping I can get a swim in after work today.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    nuffer wrote: »
    3700 yards in 86 minutes. Was trying for a single set of two miles but calf cramps thwarted me at the 3100 yard mark.

Mustard is your friend.
    Also try MIO fit in water while doing laps. I used to have to sip every 10 laps. Now I do at least 40 laps between sips.

I have been trying all kinds of things, including mustard and MIO. Still get cramps and spasms, even with the MIO. My goal is to be able to do the distance without stopping to rest/drink in order to try a cross-lake (Lake Washington) swim later this year.

3100 is the farthest I've gone without cramps, so it's progress of a sort.

I saw a sports doctor yesterday for problems with my Achilles and asked him about this. He suggested that my calves need more out of water strengthening. I'm also supposed to quit walking and running for a while due to Achilles problems. He recommended I quit taking magnesium and potassium supplements. New regimen starts today.

Hope you can find a good pool in China!
  • juliet3455
    edited May 2016
    Double Dip Day.
    Went to the Pool at noon and it was a thing of beauty 2 swimmers and 3 double wide lanes. :) Did Lots of Stroke Drills and Kick Drills - isolation of the two different components of the stroke. Usually the lanes are so crowded that you can't really do drills without having a negative impact on other swimmers - I refuse to be the DuFus who is a big lane blocker by doing drills. Heck I won't even do Backstroke if we are 3 wide in a dbl lane - to easy to wander out of position and klunk an adjacent swimmer.
    Temperature of 30C tonight which is to hot for me to run in so I went back for a 2nd dip. It was crowded ( everyone escaping the heat ) and a struggle to get any flow going. Still managed 40 lengths = 1000m but was slooow.

@fishgutzy Hope you can find a good pool in China - maybe show the Life Guards - Pool Attendants a YouTube Video of a pool with 2 Lane's setup for Lane swimming and the rest of the pool wide open to the normal confusing disaster.
  • fishgutzy
    I have to so I question the claimed 25m length. But I'll know immediately if they are exaggerating. Strokes per length. If is less than 18, then it is shorter than 25m. I would expect it to be 20 to 22 SPL given that I'm at 18/19 for 25 yards.
  • NoelFigart1
    2000 55:39
  • fishgutzy
    Successfully completed 4 miles without getting hit or broadside by someone swimming across the pool.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Successfully completed 4 miles without getting hit or broadside by someone swimming across the pool.

Three cheers, gutzy!!!! Hooray! This will be an entirely different trip for you!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Did my regular 1.5 miles plus an additional 1/4 mile plus the 2 laps I missed on Monday-- for a total of 65 laps in about 85 minutes
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member

That is indeed awesome. Glad you found a reasonable place for lap time.

I gave blood two days ago. Last night's swim was slightly off-pace: 2500 yards in 58 minutes.

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited May 2016
    3.6k in 90 minutes. The usual sets of 100s and threw in a couple of 200 backstroke at the end to see how it feels given that I have a race in a couple of weeks. I am still pretty nervous but at least I know its doable. I didn't do it at race pace but did them at the end of a tough workout and still came in at a decent time, close enough to the time I signed up for.
  • fishgutzy

Three cheers, gutzy!!!! Hooray! This will be an entirely different trip for you!

Definitely. Swimming is truly essential to my mental health and a positive attitude.
    Of course, being a "big fish in a little pond" has benefits too.
    Here, I'm the fastest in the fast lane. That's because at least 90% of the recreational swimmers here only do the breast stroke.
    And certainly none swim as far as I do.
    Saturday and Sunday I can swim, take a break for lunch, then go back and hit the weight room.
    I won't try to impress anyone in the weight room though. :D
  • juliet3455
    2000 55:46 My pool has a fifty mile club every summer. They call 2000 yards a mile, so I assume they're going for the nautical mile. Open water training can't count; it's only pool miles that do.
    I signed up for it, anyway. I figure that if I put in 2000 yards every weekday and do open water training on the weekends, I'll be well prepared for Alcatraz in August. And if I DON'T put that training in, I really have no damn business jumping in the SF bay, anway.

@NoelFigart1 We have two clubs. One is called The Alexander Mackenzie Club, in honour of the great Explorer and his travels down the local rivers.
    The other is called the 100km club with the goal of getting in more than 100km's in a year. Last year I managed 160km = 99.4 miles. Darn I needed just 1 km to break the 100 miles. Working to break that this year.

Noon Hour swim today. I was feeling out of sorts so barely managed a km and called it a day. The worst part is that the pool was essentially empty with only 2 per lane so I could have done drills, time trials etc. But it just wasn't there today.
  • NoelFigart1
    2000 52:28

Dramatic difference from yesterday. I was trying a new technique.

Patient lead hand, dudes. It's made of awesome.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    For those of us wondering what "Patient lead hand" is:

https://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=465
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I swam this morning!! I did laps of freestyle and breaststroke for about 15 minutes then did 20 minutes of sprints. Somewhere around 8x50 Free and 4x50 breast (if I counted correctly, lol). It was my first time not just doing uncounted laps the whole time. I really enjoyed it!!