Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Labor Day - 1500 yds in about 35-40 minutes. The Y was only open this morning for about four hours so they had both pools open with a mix of lap swimming, open swimming and aqua-fitness classes. It all seemed to work when I was there although I had to share a lane. My lane mate was fine to swim with so I am glad I made the trip.

Marissa - Nice work!
    Stephen - I hate it when you get lapped by someone with a kick board, or as has happened to me, a ten year old with a kick board.
    LauraRae - Hang in there!
    Emma - So your coach isn't even going to be back before your meet?
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Emma - So your coach isn't even going to be back before your meet?

Nope. Having said that I'm the only local person going away to it so he wouldn't have been coming but really would have liked him to still be around for advice etc for the remaining four sessions before the meet!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor day everyone!
    I never even thought about pool closing for maintenance, I wonder when my gym does theirs. Hopefully I'll be running again before they do, otherwise what will I do for cardio? Stupid medical crap....
    I swam twice more this week, 2300 yards each time. Really loving this Garmin Swim my friend loaned me. I dared two 100-yard IMs, man fly exhausts me. Maybe in a few weeks I'll work myself up to a 200 IM. I really need to get a kickboard or a buoy or something to mix this up a bit.
    Happy swimming all and stay healthy!
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I did it! 1km in 29:10!!!!! I wore my Polar FT7 for my swim, which I just found out today that you can wear for swimming, and according to that I burned 350 calories in that 29 minutes.

Since it is only 9/7 and I hit my goal of swimming 1km in 30 minutes, I'm going to up the ante. Swim 1km with 500m of that swim being free style. I'm currently swimming about 250m of it free. I need to move my focus back to that stroke and work on not freaking myself out with the breathing.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Marissa, congrats on your PR!!

If you're interested, I have a great breathing drill. At least, it was great for me when I was learning bilateral breathing.

Take a kick board. Stretch out in the water so that you're in normal freestyle swimming position and then "superman," with your arms out in front of you holding onto the kickboard so the kickboard is in front of your head. So in a line it is kickboard, head, torso, legs, feet. Then while kicking down the lane, slowly turn your head left, breathe in, then turn your head center into the water, breathe out, then turn right, breathe in, center and breathe out, etc down the lane. For me it helped a lot to take everything else (minus kicking, but it was just an easy kick, enough to stay afloat and move down the lane, but I certainly wasn't working on speed!) out of it and just focus on the breathing.

Once I got more comfortable with that I started the catch up drill. If you go to youtube there should be a bunch of videos on that. My made up breathing drill was really a modification of the catch up drill.
  • galabrielle98
    galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No swimming for me because I have swimmers ear......in both ears :confounded: . I had to run this morning and let me just say, land activities are NOT fun. At least for a fish like me :) Might as well make the best of it ;)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Best swim in MONTHS ...i just felt 'right' in the water today. Strong and fluid. And set a new PB, still slow compared to the real athletes amongst us. But it felt good to have some tangible progress. I've been stuck in neutral for 2+ months.

2150m, 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 17 sprint laps.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Best swim in MONTHS ...i just felt 'right' in the water today. Strong and fluid.

Gotta love those days!!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    Marissa, congrats on your PR!!

If you're interested, I have a great breathing drill. At least, it was great for me when I was learning bilateral breathing.

Take a kick board. Stretch out in the water so that you're in normal freestyle swimming position and then "superman," with your arms out in front of you holding onto the kickboard so the kickboard is in front of your head. So in a line it is kickboard, head, torso, legs, feet. Then while kicking down the lane, slowly turn your head left, breathe in, then turn your head center into the water, breathe out, then turn right, breathe in, center and breathe out, etc down the lane. For me it helped a lot to take everything else (minus kicking, but it was just an easy kick, enough to stay afloat and move down the lane, but I certainly wasn't working on speed!) out of it and just focus on the breathing.

Once I got more comfortable with that I started the catch up drill. If you go to youtube there should be a bunch of videos on that. My made up breathing drill was really a modification of the catch up drill.

My pool is still closed but Lurking and keeping in contact.
    @LauraRae2 What you described is actually one that an Instructor had us do last winter in our lessons. Especially the Catch up drill with the kickboard. Then we dropped the kickboard and did 2 more Catch up Breathing Drill lengths.

The isolation technique where you use a Pull Buoy or Kickboard is the basis of many drills
    Like any drill its a good thing to throw them into your swim once in a while. I usually did it on Friday nights as then the pool had a 2 hr Lane swim so I could do lots of drills and still complete a cardio swim.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2600SCM
    Masters

200 free
    100 back kick
    100 br
    100 back

10X100 on 2.00 as
    3X50 fly/50 back
    3X50 back/50 br
    3X50 br/50 free
    1X50 free/50 fly (!!!!)

8X50 kick on side

400 pull with paddles

8X25 max on 40
    Did alt back/free backs were about 18-19 and frees were about 16

100 easy

This was an ok session but those 100s really sucked!!!

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Got back from China on Saturday. Sunday was a travel/Time Warp recovery day.
    Monday managed 100 laps (5000 yards)
    Tuesday fell back to 90.
    Did 120 this morning before work. Gonna see if I can manage a second swim today.
    Tomorrow I'll push for the 4 mile mark.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1/2 mile @ 35 minutes :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Best swim in MONTHS ...i just felt 'right' in the water today. Strong and fluid. And set a new PB, still slow compared to the real athletes amongst us. But it felt good to have some tangible progress. I've been stuck in neutral for 2+ months.

2150m, 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 17 sprint laps.

Great to hear it, Stephen!

I did not swim today. I tripped on the steps going down into my garage while attempting to put my swim bag and work clothes in the car and twisted my ankle. It's not a terrible injury by any means but it swelled up while I was sitting at my desk all day and is showing a bit of bruising so now I am on the couch with it up on ice. Maybe by Friday I can get back in as long as I remember to kick off with only my right foot!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    2050m 61 minutes, mixed strokes, 16 sprint laps ...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    @galabrielle98 , major bummer! I hope it clears up for you. I am SO happy to be running again, but I've lost some ground (ha!! what a pun...) and I'm damn slow. I was never fast, but to be even slower is discouraging. However, I've missed my TED talks!
    @stephenrhinton, YAY!!! Oh man, I know exactly what you are talking about. I LOVE those swims. You are such a hard worker, and so determined, you deserve to have an awesome swim. Congrats to you. It's a great feeling.
    @emmab0902, Emma? Emma? HEY EMMA... slow down! I'm talking to you! <<great swims as always, girl>> You're awesome. Keep that body safe, OK? We want to hear all of your speedy news all winter too :heart:
    @fishgutzy, dang! At least you're home for safe swims! Keep us updated on the job search (you are searching, right?) The things you put up with for a swim. You can probably put in half the distance, but just keeping watch burns the rest of your calories, lol.
    @htimpaired, fly... Maybe someday... I LOVE watching people swim butterfly. Keep at it. You'll get it back. At least you have it somewhere!!
    @mpeters1965 yeeeowch! Take it easy. That's a toughie. I hate ankle/foot issues. Be careful and maybe tape it up with KT tape before your swim? I can't make the stuff last through 2 days when I swim, but it is helpful when I run, and sometimes it stays on in the pool...
    @Bruceapple, you go, Mr. Consistent! Another good swim logged. I envy your dedication!
    AQ, I know you're back on the other page with more great swims, focused on form, cheering folks on, and getting to see gorgeous parts of the world that I hope to see... :smile:
    @juliet3455 and @LauraRae2 bummer for those of us with closed pools!! Getting antsy here. I'm expecting very crowded lanes starting Saturday. I don't care. I just want my chlorine fix!!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    @emmab0902, Emma? Emma? HEY EMMA... slow down! I'm talking to you! <<great swims as always, girl>> You're awesome. Keep that body safe, OK? We want to hear all of your speedy news all winter too :heart:

We've just started Spring here bye bye to Winter woohoo!!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Has anyone heard from AquaticQuests?? He hasn't posted in over a week and hasn't logged in to MFP either. Hope he's okay - bit worried after his "attack" the other week.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Got back from China on Saturday. Sunday was a travel/Time Warp recovery day.
    Welcome back to the Civilized Water world.
    I did not swim today. I tripped on the steps going down into my garage while attempting to put my swim bag and work clothes in the car and twisted my ankle. It's not a terrible injury by any means
    You will be un-pleasantly surprised how much water pressure there is on your foot/ankle when kicking.
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    We've just started Spring here bye bye to Winter woohoo!!
    If I remember you are just above the center on the North Island (NZ), south of Auckland. Spring Envy - Truth to be told your cold winter day is like a normal spring/fall day for me.

@girlwithcurls2 Enjoy the re-opening of your pool, still at least 2 more weeks before my pool will open.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello fishes. Good to hear all your news and successes (and best wishes for the trials and tribulations)!

Back in the pool 'properly' at last today. I k, IM mainly plus drIlls. 40 mins. Not my fastest, but hey the 2 sprints went well.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Back up to 4 miles today. Now the slog to get the pace back up. :)
    I am doubting I'll make my personal challenge of swimming 10 miles in my Y pool. But one never knows. I just might get in on a Saturday and regardless how I feel just keep going "one more lap" until I hit 352. :dizzy: