Show me your garden

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have a seed starting room set up in my spare bedroom that I can grow herbs from I think things like basil won't be able to grow inside or if u do just have 3- 5 gal buckets or containers for things like basil and Rosemary and get the shop lights from lowes... These florestent lights are perfect for starting seeds and I would think you might could pull it off, I'm just starting this year with thyme and I'm putting in a smaller container just to see if I can keep it cut back enough to bring in side when I need to and keep in smaller container threw out the year. I think you might be able to do Rosemary that way too if you keep it cut back..but have my doubts about basil.... Basil is a herb u have to keep cut back if u ever let it flower (what is called bolt) then the leafs flavor change and u need to just ditch it. It also depends on what hers your wanting to grow? And if u have room for enough lighting. bgwh36zqlzw3.jpg

Admittedly, I don't know what I want to grow. I use more Italian herbs than anything, and I've never had fresh other than a few sprigs of anything. I do not have much space really at all. Even your pictured set up is probably more than I would be able to do at first. I'm sincerely considering starting with a chia herb garden thing and going from there (figuring out what I'd actually use, etc.). I'd like to have chives, because my guy loves them, and I know that's one you can use and keep it going, and just whatever else I run across. I sincerely don't know... LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Does anyone know how easy it is to grow Marjoram? It's a favorite spice, and almost impossible to find in my area at a reasonable price for some reason...
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I grow marjoram. Most herbs and spices are not hard to grow. Just make sure you give them enough light and well watered every 2-3 days. I am not a gardener. My husband does all the gardening and he really does not pay that much attention to my herbs. All my herbs do very well with little care. I just need to remember to snip them more often.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was organic raised bed gardening until I gained all the weight. That was 4 years ago. Now that I lost a substantial portion of my weight, I can do it again....YAY! :) I will be moving my raised bed garden in the days ahead. Its on the edge of a large tree that is cutting out some of the sun during the morning. So I will move it 75 feet to the west. I also cut down a 16" ugly spruce that was shading my evening sun.

I plan on planting a "lo-carb" veggie garden. Some dill for my pickles.

@ettaterrell I plan on making a cucumber trellis just like your bean trellis.

I plan on making a rain barrel to water the garden with (the garden is about 200 feet from the house and I don't want to have to deal with a long hose.)

Also, all you avid gardeners, do a YouTube/Google search for:

BioChar This is "probiotics" for the soil!

I plan on making some and incorporating it into my soil.

Our city makes "Rodale Certified" compost, I can get about 3 cubic yards (1000+ lbs) of it for $15, they load it into my trailer. Or if you want to shovel it yourself, its free. Really cool. They use huge machines that mix leaves and green grass clippings in huge long piles as long as a football field. Then they monitor the temperature and moisture assuring that it heats up to 140 degrees. Then they grind it up again and compost it more. All scientifically professionally made. I wonder a little about it though, because they are using the community's grass clippings, which could have harmful stuff in it. Maybe they test it? IDK but they are Rodale Certified (I guess they test it?)

I have seeds in peat pots on a warming mat now, I hope the heat makes them sprout ok.

Our last frost in at the end of this month, I hope to it ready for Memorial day weekend, the traditional planting time for my area (Rochester Hills, Michigan ~ north of Detroit).

Lastly, I am planting "heirloom" seeds. I have never done them before, I hope they work out. Has anyone else tried them?

Here are some pics:

Ugly tree meets Dan the Man with Chainsaw in Hand!

03yzwu2ypbvg.png

It loses...
    ifa4zy0ow61j.png

kat7y6zfr09z.png

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You know, speaking of probiotics for the soil - I have a HUGE SCOBY HOTEL that probably needs to move on to the next stage in it's life, as I'm running quickly out of room. I've been told you can turn it into the soil for lots of food stuff. If anyone is will to pay shipping, I'm happy to send as much or as little as you like. Several inches worth... At least one 80 oz jar completely full, and 1/3 full in three other jars. is what I have atm.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You know, speaking of probiotics for the soil - I have a HUGE SCOBY HOTEL that probably needs to move on to the next stage in it's life, as I'm running quickly out of room. I've been told you can turn it into the soil for lots of food stuff. If anyone is will to pay shipping, I'm happy to send as much or as little as you like. Several inches worth... At least one 80 oz jar completely full, and 1/3 full in three other jars. is what I have atm.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Il buy all of them unless someone else here wants them too. I heard they are good to put under your plants when you plant them. Although I am making Kombucha now, I am doing the continuous method and mine aren't ready to split up yet.

Thank you! (I'll email you later).

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I was organic raised bed gardening until I gained all the weight. That was 4 years ago. Now that I lost a substantial portion of my weight, I can do it again....YAY! :) I will be moving my raised bed garden in the days ahead. Its on the edge of a large tree that is cutting out some of the sun during the morning. So I will move it 75 feet to the west. I also cut down a 16" ugly spruce that was shading my evening sun.

I plan on planting a "lo-carb" veggie garden. Some dill for my pickles.

@ettaterrell I plan on making a cucumber trellis just like your bean trellis.

I plan on making a rain barrel to water the garden with (the garden is about 200 feet from the house and I don't want to have to deal with a long hose.)

Also, all you avid gardeners, do a YouTube/Google search for:

BioChar This is "probiotics" for the soil!

I plan on making some and incorporating it into my soil.

Our city makes "Rodale Certified" compost, I can get about 3 cubic yards (1000+ lbs) of it for $15, they load it into my trailer. Or if you want to shovel it yourself, its free. Really cool. They use huge machines that mix leaves and green grass clippings in huge long piles as long as a football field. Then they monitor the temperature and moisture assuring that it heats up to 140 degrees. Then they grind it up again and compost it more. All scientifically professionally made. I wonder a little about it though, because they are using the community's grass clippings, which could have harmful stuff in it. Maybe they test it? IDK but they are Rodale Certified (I guess they test it?)

I have seeds in peat pots on a warming mat now, I hope the heat makes them sprout ok.

Our last frost in at the end of this month, I hope to it ready for Memorial day weekend, the traditional planting time for my area (Rochester Hills, Michigan ~ north of Detroit).

Lastly, I am planting "heirloom" seeds. I have never done them before, I hope they work out. Has anyone else tried them?

Here are some pics:

Ugly tree meets Dan the Man with Chainsaw in Hand!

03yzwu2ypbvg.png

It loses...
    ifa4zy0ow61j.png

kat7y6zfr09z.png

I hope this helps,
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Love the chain saw!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Don't mind the weeds. It's been raining a lot here, and my back's been bothering me (camping last weekend didn't help matters), so I haven't been able to get them all and we haven't had time for the family to work together to get them all cleared out yet.

My thyme is flowering! I'm using it for ground cover. I have two varieties of thyme. This one is Elfin Thyme. I have a more mat-like one that hasn't flowered yet, called Creeping Thyme.

b44pau9hbaqb.jpg

Onion! You can also see one of the strawberry plants on the left side, and my coriopsis on the left corners. Plus more Elfin Thyme in the bottom right. Not sure what the blue flowers are in the top, but I think it's Deadnettle. I need to go look at it again.

ma8xg0hf33q0.jpg

My two little "plants that could." The left is a variegated ornamental grass of some sort. We call it Dragon Grass, because it looks like the Madagascar Dragon Tree we used to have. It looks shabby right now, because it has to grow back from being pruned, but it will get about 6 feet tall and should fill out the gaps. In the fall, it grows these cool tassels that stand another foot or two above it, then the whole thing turns brown for the winter. It was in the garden when we moved in, but was overtaken by yuccas, so I relocated it, and it spent the first summer on the verge of dying (I thought it'd never take root), but has flourished since.

The right is my blueberry...bush. As you can see, it's not very bushy. It's actually looking better this year than it did last year. It fruits every year, though, so it's doing well. It just doesn't do much growing.

an09p2vb397o.jpg

Coriopsis (center right), Creeping Thyme (bottom center), Elfin Thyme (bottom right), Pig Squeak (the broad-leafed plant top center), Sage (the tree-like thing top center, hopefully it lives, it did so well last year :( ), and strawberry, onion, and yucca (top right corner). That yucca will probably get pulled out of there. That stuff is at bad as the weeds when it comes to spreading.

agxwrgz77so3.jpg

That strawberry-yucca-onion cluster from above, plus a good view of the Creeping Thyme that I'm hoping will surround those pavestones. The idea was to use the thyme to "edge" the garden and keep the lawn plants out of the garden. There are also the remains of the pink hyacinths by the light, and one of those stupid bush lilies (I hate them, because they are everywhere around here).

xh8x028jsvwr.jpg

Comfrey! And a strawberry plant, and another one of those stupid lilies.

9aftsr1hta04.jpg

I think that grass-like one is a cluster of garlic. Not sure offhand, though. More strawberries, with some what we think are Asiatic Lilies, and marshmallow on the far right.

gom8djvi1sij.jpg

A better view of the marshmallow plant, as well as a look at my kale (yes, it's flowering! Those yellow flowers are from the kale), and another onion. Like I said, don't mind the weeds (though I do kind of wish I'd been able to harvest the dandelions before they seeded).

ijx3gle3m495.jpg
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan by "heirloom" seeds are you referring to tomatoes? We grow a lot of different types of heirloom tomatoes. Although we haven't grown it by seed. There is a great book that talks about all aspects of growing heirloom tomatoes. https://www.amazon.com/Epic-Tomatoes-Select-Grow-Varieties-ebook/dp/B00KLNAJCK?ie=UTF8&keywords=heirloom tomatoes&qid=1462549457&ref_=sr_1_2&s=books&sr=1-2
  • DittoDan
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hakamruth wrote: »
    @DittoDan by "heirloom" seeds are you referring to tomatoes? We grow a lot of different types of heirloom tomatoes. Although we haven't grown it by seed. There is a great book that talks about all aspects of growing heirloom tomatoes. https://www.amazon.com/Epic-Tomatoes-Select-Grow-Varieties-ebook/dp/B00KLNAJCK?ie=UTF8&keywords=heirloom tomatoes&qid=1462549457&ref_=sr_1_2&s=books&sr=1-2

Heirloom is any seed that is not a hybrid seed. In other words, you can use the seed from the heirloom plant for the next year with no loss in performance, taste, etc. If you do that with a hybrid seed, the plant will not grow very well the next season.

Here's a good definition:

http://www.halcyon.com/tmend/define.htm

Tomatoes have many heirloom varieties. Which ones do you like the best?

I hope this helps,

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wish I could figure out how to post pictures on MFP!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I drag & drop them in the reply box.
    Web site on a Chromebox.

>:) or o:)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    Wish I could figure out how to post pictures on MFP!

Are you using the app or the website
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ypih5ts8xgr5.jpeg
    4xyqujodrbn3.jpeg
    k69cau060bsp.jpeg
    I figured out how to post pic! Yay! These show our garlic and tilled garden ready to plant. The rhubarb and the first blossoms on the bleeding heart.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've already got flowers showing on my zucchini, but I've got some bugs eating my jalapenos! Hmmm, at least I'm feeding something with my garden! Lol!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My strawberries are starting to flower and fruit! I found the first little starts of strawberries yesterday. :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've just about got harvestable broccoli and collards!
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am glad y'all are as excited about planting as I am! I don't have pictures yet but so far I have a lot of basil, German & lemon thyme, two big Rosemary plants, sage, pineapple sage, as well as Greek & Italian oregano for the herbs. My kids planted a dried avocado pit and dried cherry seeds..lol. They check them every day!!

Since normally I have the "thumb of death" I only plant herbs. However this year i bought 3 baby tomato plants. The purple Cherokee has matured beautifully and has some fairly large tomatoes already. The German queen has a few small fruits, and the pink brandywine has some flowers. We will see if I battle the squirrels. I put the basil near the tomatoes because I read the worms hate basil... Otherwise I have no clue and look forward to learning as I go!! :smile: