The Confessions/support thread

Options

Replies

• ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    peabean26 wrote: »
    Even eating this way I can't seem to lose any weight. I have PCOS, an keto worked for me prior to getting pregnant and having my babies. I'm currently breastfeeding my twin 9 month old babies, and it's a struggle to keep up my milk supply going super low carb.
    I was literally crying last night because I was trying to cut calories (thinking that was my problem) but it I just can't. I literally get light headed by 6pm, after nursing, pumping , riding my bike to and from work. Also my milk supply took a tremendous hit. I just can't cut calories.

Yet I can't lose any weight. Even typing this I want to cry again.

@peabean26 - if you are eating too few calories, you won't be able to lose weight either. That's a lot of calorie burn you're describing - plus a lot of electrolyte losses. Make sure you're getting enough sodium and magnesium, potassium in slightly lesser amounts - that's the light headed feeling.

Also, I would increase 500 calories once a week (so like if you eat 500 calories more tomorrow, keep that level until the next week, then increase again). Most of us have an upper and lower calorie threshold for losing weight. Keeping your milk up is more important than losing weight the wrong way (your body stealing your muscles to convert to energy because you're eating too little). Check the calculators, and make sure you're getting enough of everything you need.

(HUGS) Been there done that, with all but the twins and biking part...

@peabean26 @KnitOrMiss I was hoping another woman would jump in on this, but ohh well. I'm 95% sure the standard medical advice is about 500 kcal extra PER DAY for a breastfeeding mom. I think you should do a bit of research and make sure you're eating enough kcal to stay healthy at this point.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ok my confession is that I drank some beers tonight - I had no idea how high carb beer was so won't be repeating that in a hurry! I don't even like beer that much so god only knows what I was thinking!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    Ok my confession is that I drank some beers tonight - I had no idea how high carb beer was so won't be repeating that in a hurry! I don't even like beer that much so god only knows what I was thinking!

Some are higher than others, I'll usually get the michelob ultra it's lc when I'm staying on track but occasionally I'll go for something higher carb, I can't drink as many now so it's pretty easy to limit to only a couple
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My problem lately is 1/2 lb of cheese in chunks eaten with either Que Pasa Organic Blue Corn tortilla chips or Quaker Crispy Minis (preferably salt & vinegar). I am fine and not even hungry 90% of the time but after 10 pm I WANT ALL THE FOOD! I work nights and log between 9600-12000 steps per shift (not counting any daytime activity). I am not actually interested in any of the other food yumminess in the fridge that I normally like during the day. I can't go to bed that early on nights I'm not working, So there I sit with a good book or a movie til 3 am (normal working bedtime is 6 am.) I do OK on worknights because I prepare my 1 am dinner in the afternoon when I'm not obsessed with 'the snack.' And I don't have time to pop into the 7-11 and buy a cheese stick packet & chips on my shift.

What irks me is how easy it is for me to not eat gluten (celiac disease), in fact not even feel tempted by stuff I used to like (ie really good European caraway heavy rye bread), when I can't ditch this habit. I have been up 8-10 lbs over my happy maintenance weight for the past 6 months or so - not fat for my height but definitely too fluffy for my bone structure. I am undergoing treatment right now for autoimmune thyroid disease (selenium supplementation first, then we'll see in 5 months) so maybe there is a tie-in, who knows. It is discouraging though.

Cheese is my stress go-to and I am dealing with a lot of serious family (senior parents) health issues. I admittedly ate two huge hunks this afternoon as soon as I got home from my Mom & Dad's eye doc apptmt. Had to go in with mom to help her answer questions from the doc (dementia heading downhill fast) and help 'translate' instructions for all the testing machinery and hold her hand & calm her while Dad was in the other room for his appointment.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    My confession...I have been stealing my husbands oatmeal square cereal with 2% milk lately. We don't keep much carby foods in the house except his cereal. I figure since I am recovering from surgery, I can have it. Hmmmmm not really!
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I originally started this journey 2 1/2 years ago. I haven't stuck to keto since before Christmas. Luckily I've managed to only gain 10 pounds. But I'm in a new city, a new job and it's high stress. The only thing I've maintained is staying active. So today was day one. I stated in Monday but evenings are when I really struggle.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Nicole9187 wrote: »
    I originally started this journey 2 1/2 years ago. I haven't stuck to keto since before Christmas. Luckily I've managed to only gain 10 pounds. But I'm in a new city, a new job and it's high stress. The only thing I've maintained is staying active. So today was day one. I stated in Monday but evenings are when I really struggle.

That has to be hard. I've always lived in the same place and cannot imagine moving to a new city. Do you have family with you for support? Take care and stay strong. There may be many things you can't control right now but at least you can control what you eat.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    @canadjineh you have a lot on your emotional plate. Many would crumble under this level of pressure. At least cheese isn't full of carbs. Stay the course and keep strong for yourself and your family. You will be better able to meet all of these challenges if you are physically strong.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    @becwana I will see your few beers and raise you eight shots of vodka washed down with six or seven chicken wings and more nuts than I care to think about. I feel terrible. The last two weeks have been pretty heavy in booze for me. It is a professional hazard for me. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm looking forward to a good eating day.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The answer to everyone here is to have a blood transfusion , I am VERY ALLERGIC to tree nuts & willing to share my antibodies ( or is it lack of antibodies ) .... obviously I'm kidding , but do wonder about the biology/physiology of allergic reactions.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    My confession...I have been stealing my husbands oatmeal square cereal with 2% milk lately. We don't keep much carby foods in the house except his cereal. I figure since I am recovering from surgery, I can have it. Hmmmmm not really!

I'm also recovering from surgery and my excuse has been that people from church wanted to sign up to bring us meals during this time - and I can't expect them to cook low carb!! Well, let's face it: One carb heavy meal per day would have been less than ideal but probably workable... but I ditched Low Carb completely. Yesterday I had 3 huge soft top cookies for breakfast. One of the dinners was spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, garlic toast... (eta: oh and I forgot the strawberry shortcake for dessert haha) - that was the worst single meal but all the days since surgery have been similarly carbed out. Today is my 1-week post op checkup and I am going to weigh in before breakfast (as well as at the doc I presume) and I'm NOT looking forward to it.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    There is a starbucks at the hospital I work at. So I started off by only allowing myself one on Sundays and now its every single day. OMG what a way to drink your carbs.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    @Phrick We are bringing meals to a family from church and the daughter is vegan, so we are accommodating that. I bet your friends would be happy to adjust the meals if you told them. It's not easy doing something different but people really want to help, usually. Hope you feel better soon!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    carlsoda wrote: »

I'm also recovering from surgery and my excuse has been that people from church wanted to sign up to bring us meals during this time - and I can't expect them to cook low carb!! Well, let's face it: One carb heavy meal per day would have been less than ideal but probably workable... but I ditched Low Carb completely. Yesterday I had 3 huge soft top cookies for breakfast. One of the dinners was spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, garlic toast... (eta: oh and I forgot the strawberry shortcake for dessert haha) - that was the worst single meal but all the days since surgery have been similarly carbed out. Today is my 1-week post op checkup and I am going to weigh in before breakfast (as well as at the doc I presume) and I'm NOT looking forward to it.

Now that is hard! Luckily I kept my condition quiet at church so only the pastors and prayer group knew what was going on...otherwise I fear I may have been in the same situation as you. Now's the time to turn things around!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My realisation this week is sometimes our best familiar coping strategy is not the most ideal, but under stress is perhaps not the easiest time to consistently apply new ways of coping. I accept 5lb gain in 2 weeks as the consequencs of having holiday fun and eating my sadness back to manageable bite sized pieces.

I am improving but I accept food as a crutch still exists for me. Almond croissant, dark choc caramel, nuts all help me feel included as I participate in the joy of holiday food plus numb pain n sadness. I would rather not acknowledge the truth of someone being mean n self centred. For my lifetime I had bought into their reality:

I am around someone who is self-pitying, needy and hyper critical of my failure to guess and attend to their every need. This is tiring. The self justification for no enquiry concerning anyone else and self centred behaviour is "I'm hurting" Physical and mental exhaustion! 4 more days and I get my life back. Meantime I am accepting that I will likely gain weight as I make choices, in the moment, that are less constructive than typing this thesis.

Thanks for reading n support. I feel like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz, having pulled back the curtains yesterday. Hope above might help someone gain insights in their own behaviours.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    have had a very bad few days with food - fell off the LCHF way in style - now have the pain in my stomach and feeling very yucky but can't seem to stop eating the wrong foods - need a huge kick up the butt and get back on the right track as already putting weight back on
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had a piece of bread today (15 g carbs). The carb volume wasn't the end of the world to me, but the type of carbs (along with stress) drove up my blood sugar and I had to take insulin after going 5 days without it.

I've been in such a great place until yesterday when the stress of wrapping up my job, moving, preparing to start a new job and dealing with my mom being here for an extended visit just pushed me over the edge of sanity. I made this poor choice because I had no food in the house that I could grab quickly and I was genuinely very hungry as days of barely eating (no time) finally caught up to me.

Lesson learned... Keep some easy to grab food in the fridge when you're stressed!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @paleoinscotland I hear you. Top tip there. Sorry to hear you needed insulin again. Was just thinking of you and wondering how your life juggle was going. Hugs and wishing you loads of handy lchf foods. I found yoga and even just time out, like a teenager, in my bedroom, reading or doing something mindful like making jewelry helped a bit with managing my stress assoc mum. Good luck.