A crazy theory, please read and give an polite opinion

Options
2»

Replies

• Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not telling people what to eat. Im sure everybody knows what's good for their own body plus everybody is an adult and can make their own choices. I was talking about they way I felt when I was eating a different way. Now I'll probably stick with no more than 1200 calories a day, I jus want to stop eating and sampling everything I see in the store. I was just talking about an experience I had in the past and how I didn't waste away and died because of it. I did eat ketogenic for some time but I still watched how much I ate. Also it worked better when I was doing intermittent fasting on it. I would love to go back to it but I seem not to be able too. Now I'm just doing low carb with some intermittent fasting.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    @baconslave I'm working on the mental game right now. I think that's the key. I do keep it low carb...5 days out of 7. I'm working on keeping it 7 out of 7. I'm also trying to keep it simple. Eggs, bacon and bunless burgers.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    But thank you all for understanding. You were all helpful.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz (back when he was still a respected medical professional instead of Dr. Phelonious T. Quackenbush, Sole Purveyor of the Secret Tonic of the Kikkapoo Indian Tribe) had some good ideas. One was to put one meal, preferably breakfast since that's easiest, on automatic pilot. Have pretty much the same thing for that meal every day and restrict your variety to the rest of the day. I love to cook and to try new things but the same breakfast every single day gets me off to a good start. It helps that I get up early enough to drink my tea, make my own breakfast, read the paper and do a load of laundry before Hub wants his own breakfast.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    But thank you all for understanding. You were all helpful.

@Astharteea I do agree with you that adding back in too many types of food can complicate an already misfiring metabolism. @glossbones went through a ground beef challenge, followed by adding in a single food family to identify the inflammation triggers, and it wasn't long before it spiraled out from more food choices than intended. So she had to resimplify again.

I think that the number of foods we have readily available to us now due to modern conveniences far outnumbers those our ancestors had readily available. Many folks can adapt readily to this arrangement, but those of us with compromised metabolisms cannot.

I think that going with a simpler version of low carb that allows you to intake sufficient calories, as you indicated 1200 calories above, while remaining compliant to your plan, is a good starting step.

I will add the caveat that "no plan survives contact with the enemy," (in this case our metabolism and body we're fighting to regain control over), and so don't be afraid to bump your calories up or mix the foods up after 4-12 weeks if you don't see the changes you're in search of. But it takes 4-12 weeks to see changes in your metabolism and body - and admittedly sometimes longer! So don't mix up too many things too closely together.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Through changing my WOE to a LCHF I have learned that everything I thought I knew was horse crap. We are all different and most of what we have been led to believe as Gospel truth just isn't. We don't all need exactly eight glasses of water for example. An apple a day does not in fact keep the doctor away. Boneless skinless chicken breast is not the way to happiness.

If you've found something that works for you then more power to you. I'm still searching but what I know now is that I am the only one who can do this and must find my own path amongst many.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For the OP (and others reading this): If you eat 1,200 calories a day, which is the minimum recommended per a number of sources, unless you're following doctor's orders (spoken to you, not written in a book), you WILL lose weight. But if you eat less than that, you're likely to binge because your body will feel like it's starving (that "starvation mode" you've heard about, when you ravenously want to eat). So this is a generally safe and sustainable number of calories to eat (at least 1,200).

With regard to variety, it's important to eat vegetables, fruits, fiber, and if you're following LCHF, it's possible to do that within the constraints of a LCHF WOE. However, just because you might be following LCHF doesn't mean that you don't need the variety of foods, too, as well as vitamins. It's easy to not get enough calcium and vitamin D, for example, and end up at a lower weight with osteoperosis and be susceptible to falling and breaking your bones. People with anorexia, for example, are known to not get enough variety of nutrition, and that's one of the problems that can befall anyone, including the OP.

So while I'm not a doctor, I think it's probably best to get vitamins, nutrients, and fruits and vegetables, as well as (for me) a LCHF WOE, with at least 1,200 calories consumed per day. Now, I'll be honest - do I ALWAYS follow this? No. But it's what is best for safe, sustainable weight loss and maintenance without sustaining serious health problems.

And if you have any questions, it's best to consult with your doctor.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @blacktie347 - I'm not sure I'm ready to buy your book - but I do appreciate the sprit in which you've offered your point of view!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For the OP (and others reading this): If you eat 1,200 calories a day, which is the minimum recommended per a number of sources, unless you're following doctor's orders (spoken to you, not written in a book), you WILL lose weight. But if you eat less than that, you're likely to binge because your body will feel like it's starving (that "starvation mode" you've heard about, when you ravenously want to eat). So this is a generally safe and sustainable number of calories to eat (at least 1,200).

Not true if your metabolism is "broken." Think of the biggest loser study just published.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I find I lose weight better with inconsistent meals too! If I eat the same every day my losses slow but if I eat 2000kcal one day and 1000kcal the next, :)

Yeah, I'm the same. And it seems to manage my energy and all manner of subtle things.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

The bold happens to me EVERY TIME I try to get too aggressive calorie-wise.
    So I've set mine at maintenance for my goal weight, and I'm just taking it slow. And slow it is, but I'm not going crazy on foods I shouldn't due to a frantic drive to stuff my face. Which often makes me physically ill in the aftermath, and creates a vicious guilt cycle.

IMO, it's best to figure out how to best circumvent your weaknesses (I call it brain-hacking), so you can enjoy an appropriate amount of variety, but not at the expense of weight loss or health. That takes some out-of-the-box thinking and some experimenting sometimes.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Some foods and flavors trigger cravings and overeating for me. Others cause pain and joint swelling.

I followed an elimination diet for quite awhile, and it was eye opening to see the way my body responded to various foods.

If you're looking to increase variety without triggering old, maladaptive eating behaviors, maybe try introducing one food at a time. Try a few bites of a new food the first day. If that went ok, try eating a full serving the second day. If still ok, you could try eating a serving for three days in a row. (Some foods are ok for me in small amounts, but day after day lead to problems. Other foods are not an issue in any amount, and others I can't tolerate at all!).

If you had a bad reaction to it, give your body a week or two to "rest" before trying the next introduction.

I also find that keeping a written list of foods that I *can* eat is helpful for meal planning. It's easy to focus on what we can't eat, and that tends to narrow down our usual food choices. A list of what we can eat is much larger, and a good reminder for when stuck in a rut.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    With regard to variety, it's important to eat vegetables, fruits, fiber, and if you're following LCHF, it's possible to do that within the constraints of a LCHF WOE. However, just because you might be following LCHF doesn't mean that you don't need the variety of foods, too, as well as vitamins. It's easy to not get enough calcium and vitamin D, for example, and end up at a lower weight with osteoperosis and be susceptible to falling and breaking your bones. People with anorexia, for example, are known to not get enough variety of nutrition, and that's one of the problems that can befall anyone, including the OP.

While I agree that a nutritionally sound way of eating is important, I disagree with some of the specifics in your assertions here.

Fibers effects and pros/cons are largely unknown outside of a standard western diet. When fat is increase substantially and grains are eliminated, then what? The studies don't really know, though observation says it's not inherently dangerous.

Likewise, there's evidence that osteoporosis is less about lack of calcium in general (as nearly all western civilizations consume a large amount of calcium-containing foods), but rather lack of vitamin D (due to lots of staying indoors, heavy use of sun block, and for the northerners, lack of quality sunlight to begin with) and preformed K2 (found in consequential amounts only in a handful of foods, most of which have been cut out or were never in the western diet to begin with).

Fruits don't contain any nutrients that can't be found in vegetables, in greater quantities, and without the sugar hit. Vegetables are generally considered healthy and can fairly easily fit into most people's diets, though some people find that certain compounds, like phytates or oxalates, are counterproductive to their health, and observationally, at least, have found that minimizing all plant material is, in fact, nutritionally sound (because while some nutrients may not be as abundant, they are generally more bio-available, allowing a higher percentage of the nutrients to be absorbed).
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses. I gather that there are a variety of studies and views on this, and it's good to see everyone's input :)