Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps-((hugs)) so sorry. Hope your dr can fit you in and the news is good.
    Dawn-glad you're enjoying time with your co-workers before your move.
    Kim-great job on the foods and workouts. KUTGW!

I did my second workout of the new program today and it took 1.5 hours! I'm beat! And running a deep deficit today to get the vacation weight back off. Not sure I'll be able to keep this up if I'm this tired. Sigh. Definitely need to drop fat, but not sure how much I want to. Always torn between trying to build muscle and lose fat. The gradual deficit doesn't work well for me. Sigh. Decisions.

Hope you're all doing well :)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ditto, beeps - thinking of you today :)

Julie - you'll soon settle back into things. Getting back into a routine, or getting into a new one, after holidays generally takes me a while too!

No gym for me this morning, and we've a wedding reception to go to this evening, so I snuck in an extra 2 miles on my walk to work and that may have to do for the day as I am pretty much deskbound. Trying to keep the food in check, though, to make up for the lack of exercise and also the unknown food that we will be given this evening (and the occasional alcoholic drink, of course!). Pretty much counting on dancing it all off as the night goes on!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Kim - That website looks like it has a lot of neat and simple ideas! I have bookmarked a few of them!

Suelegal - I got the Rogue Bella bar, which is 33 lbs and 6.5 feet long, and a set of bumper plates. Oddly with shipping, etc., they were about the same price as the cast iron. And this way I don't have to get to 135lbs before I can deadlift at regular height. I got some of the weights in the mail yesterday and should get the bar tonight. I'm excited for lifting tomorrow! How nice to have a training partner! How did you meet her?

Dawn - your lifts are super impressive for lifting on a big deficit all this time! Wow!. My increases are super slow even though I've only been lifting for <6 months. I don't know if my calorie deficit has anything to do with it, or if I'm just not talented. I thought maybe increasing calories would make a difference, but now thinking about it I don't know if an extra 250/day is really that much.

Beeps - Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best! Good for you for lifting and exercising through this stressful time. I'm sure I would be on the couch with a box of cookies, a bag of chips, and a bottle of wine.

Julie - I looked up Thinner Leaner Stronger but can't find much on it. What is it like? I'm always interested in different programs people are doing.

Anyway, I had an early meeting yesterday so took a rest day.
    Today I got up and ran 2 miles. Plan for lifting tomorrow and another run on Sunday.

Scale was down to 146 this morning. Slowly but steadily approaching my first pre-pregnancy weight from 2010, which I can't remember exactly but think was low 140s. I dunno, though, all my clothes still fit except my bras :/
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Well, I've meal planned for the next 3 weeks! - Feeling highly organised, and so far everything I have cooked and served up has been met with very favourable noises and comments from those around the table, so it is quite refreshing to have introduced some new dishes into the week!

Aigre - I'll bet you are so excited about the new weights!!

re Calorie deficit - I obviously just don't get this part right, because I don't seem to lose the weight, no matter what I do or eat. I think I have resigned myself to being fit and strong and healthy, as opposed to being a certain weight. I used to be bulimic for most of my adult life, and I do wonder whether that messed so much with my metabolism that even a re-comp fails to be recognised as such. Like I say, I think I'll stick with fit, strong and healthy (although if the scales would kindly tell me I'd lost a few kgs, I'd be rather grateful!).

Interesting what you say about bras - mine no longer fit properly as my back and shoulders have changed shape a bit since lifting, so I went to get fitted yesterday. Now, I am a bit of an underwear freak - have about 40 sets of matching stuff.....but ended up in tears in the changing room yesterday as the shop lady gave me so much underarm, overbra spillage. I told her that there was no way I would let my husband see me in such shape. Honestly, it was horrific.

All my body insecurities came flooding back in an instant. Thankfully, once I walked out of the shop with hubby next to me, I knew that it was nothing more than a badly trained shop assistant, and NOT because I am fat/ugly/beyond help.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    3 weeks worth of meal planning, wow! I am doing pretty well if I plan a week!

Ah, incompetent shop helper! My back has not grown, but I am not filling up my cups at all ATM. I was pretty small in the chest all up until I got pregnant, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I have a feeling though that after 3 years of breastfeeding, I will end up less small and perky and more flat and pancakey. Thank goodness for push up bras! I am trying desperately to hold off on buying new ones now since I have a feeling size may continue to decrease. Ah well.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I hope you were able to get into the gyn today. And I hope your docs all give you GOOD news. I'll be thinking of you and waiting for an update!

Kim - Way to plan ahead! I can usually only muster about a week's worth of meals (read: dinners) at a time! I also have an issue with my cal deficit. While I'm technically in a deficit (I guess), I'm eating MORE than I have in a long time. For a long time I was probably eating between 700 and 1000 per day on most days and didn't realize it until I started logging. The scale hasn't budged for me either, but I'm not as tired as I used to be during the day. I've also been worried that I screwed up my metabolism so bad that there might not be any coming back from it. At that cal intake, I should be thin as a rail, and yet here I am at a steady 160ish lbs. I'm also no stranger to body insecurities - shopping is one of my most hated activities. I remember shopping with my mom as a teen. She was like a size 00 and I was probably an 8 or 10 at the time (probably about 130lbs), but I have a rather large bust, and I remember leaving stores with her and crying on the way home because nothing fit right or looked good. I used to feel JEALOUS that my mom was so tiny and I wasn't. I've also resigned to just be the healthiest, strongest person I can be. I have a feeling I'll never see my pre-preg weight again - about 145.

Sue - you're so lucky to have a training partner! I would love to find one! Someone to look silly with when I'm trying out new things, to have out-loud conversations with about stuff.

Aigre - Glad you're seeing some nice weight progress! Keep it up, slow and steady, and you'll get there. Way to kick some tail!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Tradition holds that naming the tumor is a good idea.

So, due to the fact that there was some jerky-*kitten* at hubby's nephew's convocation last week, named "Terry", we have (now) dubbed my tumor: "Terry the Teratoma". (....funny story, it is brief, but hilarious!)

On the MRI reports, they were kind enough to note: "incidental note is made of a degenerative change at L5-S1 with small anular tears at L4-L5 and L5-S1 posteriorly."

Man, is that from my WEIGHTED HIP THRUSTS, lol?!?!?!?

"Terry the Teratoma" is 9.4 cm in CC dimensions and 6 cm in AP dimensions and 6.6 cm TX.
    That is KOO-KOO.

Terry HAS TO GO....laproscopic surgery date is June 28, 2016....2's and 8's have ALWAYS been my LUCKY numbers, so YAHOOOooooo!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre - fun about the weights. I wish my gym had bumper plates as it would make some of the lifts easier. And thanks. :blush: Still want to lift more. I remember back when I had been under 6 months. In fact, I still have all of the lifts from when I started with the first 12 weeks being Stronglifts. It's hard not to compare to others but we all have to go at our own pace. And even now, when I try new things it can be hard to move up on some. I'm trying to learn power cleans with the weights available at the commercial gym and it will be a long while before I get above 55. Right now, my weights have decreased some actually. I am finding that not having a program/plan does cause some meandering, so can't wait till I settle in a program and get back to progress.

Julie - nice work. That is a tough question, when you're torn between drop more weight or get to some increasing. I want to do a bulk at some point but need to get lower first.

Beeps - hopeful the departure of Terry is quick and goes smooth.

Random couple of days. Yesterday, I didn't have work so tried another income potential up in Portland while also doing a couple of things I wanted to do. I filmed some clips for youtube for a Bro day of eating. Got to try out a food truck I'd noticed a year ago called the Cultured Caveman, which had "paleo" style food options. I stopped by gym in morning but the guy wasn't there so did 30 minutes elliptical. The female owner (it's own by a couple) did give me a good suggestion. On the drive down to LA, one option for a place to stop is actually the gym. I can use any location within the company and they have many in Cali. Might do that, do a little walking on treadmill or something (along with bathroom) along the way. I also stopped at the gym after getting back from Portland and did some random arm/upper body things. Pull-ups and curls for the youtube video, plus some other things.

Today, had work but freight didn't show up until my shift was over. I'll have to put away whatever is leftover tomorrow. Went out for pizza with coworkers afterwards. I hadn't had an actual pizza yet this year, since dairy issues and all, so it was a very nice treat. Did have a donut on my lunch break too cause national donut day, which I'd gotten from Bluestar Donuts in Portland. It was interesting. Creme Brûlée, which I like the idea of but not sure I like the flavor but I can say they got the dessert spot on with the donut version. Lifted weights at the gym a little bit later.

squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 3x5 @ 165
    parts of power cleans, 45 1x6ish, 65, 1x2ish, 55, 2x5ish. Did some parts of the movements that I didn't count as full reps.
    sumo deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 215 fail, 2x2 @ 215, 1x5 @ 185

Squats are going super slow and feel very heavy considering they aren't that close to my max even. Really can tell I've meandered and don't have program consistency. Didn't have belt with me either but I've done over 180 without belt. Deadlift was rough and yet not. I've only done 225 on sumo once, but 215 went easy on conventional recently. First attempt though for 215 sumo just didn't happen. I got it off the floor maybe an inch max. Instead of walking away, I reset, took a moment then gave it another try. I would have gotten 3 reps on the third attempt but the plates at this one shift and roll some with their odd shape. I would have had to reset completely, so i didn't go for a third rep.

Getting tired but I really need to pack. Trying to figure out what I can take but also need to box up all the stuff I can't so it can be stored out of the roommates' way until I can come get the rest. So much to do. Might be time to panic just a little. I leave very early Thursday morning...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    No panic, Dawn! Just be ready. :)

Did a cardio workout, today. ZOOM!

Tomorrow is "rest" and watching kidlet baseball. Monday, I lift.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow - a lot is happening here. :)

Beeps - Praying that all goes well. You have a great attitude and that makes all the difference. Yay for you to keep working out. I know I would use it as an excuse. :)

Dawn - You are doing some great lifting! I only hope to hit those numbers someday. :)

Super - You and I sound the same about meal planning. I brag if I get one week planned (and that is only my lunches I bring to work..haha)

Aigre - I wish I had that bra problem. I wish I would lose a bit more in that area. Hoping the Strong program I'm doing now will help with some of these problem areas I have. :)

I did Strong Phase 1 Workout A today. I have to say I don't like the step ups. I added weight when stepping on my right foot - but couldn't do it with my left. I kept putting my foot down. I know my right leg is stronger though. But I did it - and followed it with a kickbox class. Ay yi yi! :)

Sherry
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    tchr - :blush: aww thanks. I always have that feeling too. Used to be things like 225 deadlift and 1.5 bw squat. Still envy the 135 bench I've seen a woman do and know a few online who can hit that easily. Ah the miring' that goes on. :wink:

Beeps - I'll try. Hopefully I'm ready but good thing I don't work Wednesday.

Slight hinderance is the heat. I even got out early today from work since we had more people than usual scheduled. But it's so hot in the apartment that it's hard to do things. No AC, just some fans, so it's quite miserable. May have to take a cold shower before bed. Also, have to go to work in morning cause one of the machines is not working right and customer still wants the order. So, I turned it off and will fight with it before I'm even scheduled to be there. Fun time.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Tch, I sometimes use a kettlebell to hold with both hands in front of me when doing step ups instead of dumbells. Means I am much more centered as I too have a definite weaker side. By holding the dumbell in front, my hips stay straight and both legs get an equal workout.

Gym for us this morning, then as it is our first wedding anniversary tomorrow, we're off to a spa hotel for the night. Lucky, lucky me!!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    kimi, I like the idea of using a kettlebell for step ups! Nice change....I am going to try that!

Dawn, you are going to be ready! :)

Thanks, tchmom.....time for you to plop in your profile photo!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hi hi ladies - yet again I have gone completely AWOL with checking in.

Today's gym session:

Squats: 5x5 @ 40kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 30kg
    Rows: 5x5 @ 30kg did these from the lowest rung of the rack resting on the safeties. Much better as I didn't hurt my back, but it is quite a lot higher than it would be using the 10kg bumpers so might have to rethink that

There is a small possibility there are 5kg bumpers upstairs which I will look into tomorrow!

Now to catch up with everyone's news:

Dawn - good luck with your move, you know we all admire your lifts - they're pretty special - I can't even contemplate 225lb deadlift (102.5kg for me) or 1.5bw squat (that would be like 125kg haha). I guess there's a chance of me hitting a 135lb bench (61kg). I got up to 50kg before at 5x5, so maybe that's within me.

Kimi - I hope you had a lovely wedding anniversary, congratulations on your first year :)

Tch - glad you're enjoying strong so far

Beeps - I hope Terry departs shortly, you're doing incredibly well in the meantime to just carry on

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps - A curse on Terry the Teratoma!

Kimi - Great tip on the kettlebell. Happy anniversary!

Dawn - I have the same problem with the heat. Yuck! I much prefer the cool overcast days than the sunny, hot, and humid that seems to come around this time of year.

Sherry - wow, a kickboxing class after the Strong workout. Awesome!

Supermel - glad you are eating more, 700-1000 sounds way too little!

Anyway, I'm behind on posting but having a lot of fun with my new weight set.

Saturday I did Strong Stage 6, Workout A, #2
    Valslide spiderman pushways - I still can't get these. Best I can get is my knee to my chest like a mountain climber with the contralateral hand pushed away. I can't get my knee to the side. Will keep trying.
    Standing cable chop - 2x10@35 lbs
    Deadlifts - 2x4@103 lbs, 2x4@114 lbs I am just now realizing how buying a 33 lb bar and using my husband's old weights which are 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) is going to give me some weird numbers. Ha!
    Bench press - first time using the bar. Made use of the safeties of the cage right away as I failed on the second rep of 60 lbs. 2x4@50lbs, 2x4@52.5 lbs
    Suspended lunge - 4x4@16 lbs
    Dead stop row - 4x4@35 lbs
    Intervals x 10 minutes

Sunday I beat the rain and ran 4 miles at 6 am. Need to get better at route planning as I somehow ran downhill for the entire 3rd mile, and then had to run uphill for the 4th. Oops.

Today I did Strong, Stage 6, Workout B, #2
    Suspended jackknife - 2x10 this is killing my lower abs. I love it!
    Standing cable lift - 2x10@35 lbs
    Back squat to 10" box with pause - 1x8@33 lbs, 1x8@35.5 lbs, 1x8@38 lbs
    Chin ups - 3x4 with band assist. Finally could do a few of these with the band, instead of negatives. I was very happy with this, then I realized that because the band is ~100 lbs of assist, I'm basically only pulling about 45 lbs. So if I were the size of my 4 year old son but had my same muscle mass, I could do an unassisted chin up. Haha!
    RFESS - 3x8@20 lbs each leg
    Dumbbell neutral grip bench press - 3x8@25 lbs
    Intervals x 10 minutes

Happy Monday everyone!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes!! Had a good gym session yesterday... Squats at 67.5kg, Ohp @25kg and bench at 42.5kg. Ready to push through to the next weight I think. I'm definitely feeling stronger again.

Then a couple of fabulous days away. Lots of spa treatments, good food and generally able to relax. I feel like we've been away much longer. I'm very lucky.

Back to reality tomorrow.... I've made my lunches for the week.....tuna salad pittas. Onwards and upwards!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Aigre....it is crazy how weak my upper body is, considering how much I workout and how heavy I lift.....i did 3 x 12's for pull-ups, today, and needed 85 lbs of assist. Basically, I cannot even think about it or I cry. Instead, I just do the motion and make sure the muscles are fatigued at the end. That is all I can do!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Beeps, it is the day for frustration today, then. I've been so conscious of my food, my level of exercise, blah blah blah, yet I have today gotten onto the scales to see that I have put back on the weight I have been yo-yoing with.....and my bodyfat % has INCREASED to 37.6%! So, not only am I getting heavier, but it is FAT that is making me heavier, not my newly developed muscle that I so lovingly spend time on trying to create in the gym and expose via the kitchen.

I'm 5ft 4 and 74 kgs - (about 163 lbs) so I know its not a case of being super skinny and not having anything left to lose. Equally, I do know that it is not the be-all and end-all and that I am not morbidly obese or anything, I do try and keep it in perspective.

But surely, SURELY, there is some scope for some movement. According to the scales and the BF measurement, I've made NO progress since I started this journey in September.

Rant over. Off to eat my protein packed tuna stuff pitta bread and go for a brisk 3 mile walk in my lunch break..... (see, I am trying, I really really am).

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Kim-((hugs)) I am right there with you, literally!! I weigh about the same (165) and feel the same way! All the work and sacrifice (I've been fasting every other day for months, except for vacation ;)) and I'm still stuck here. Sigh. Hurt my back last week so even my workouts this week will be lame. But, I suppose, the alternative is to gain and gain, so at least we're fighting the good fight! Eventually the scale will catch up. Hang in there!! And happy anniversary!!

Beeps-hope you're doing well this week! Thinking of you and praying too :)

Sherry-God for you! I miss my combat class :(

Dawn-no much longer now! Are you getting excited to move?

Aigre-good job on the early run! And the lifting!!

Stephe-you're doing well too!

Mel-I'm sure you're doing well with more fuel. I am only lifting on my heavier eating days :).

I'm struggling too. Been home from vacation for 2 weeks and still weigh about what I came home with. Grrr, 10 sticky pounds and I can't get them to leave! Buckling down even harder this week. Off to lift and bike in a bit, but ate my lunch so now I'm waiting a bit. Quiet day, 111degrees, and practicing patience :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    It's weird not having fitness stuff to report. I kind of wanted to go to the gym a few different times but had to be reasonable. The stuff won't pack itself. Today is my last shift, tomorrow is the big pack all the mess day, then I drive to LA. So crazy.

I have a hard time with progress too. All of this year I've been in the 130's, partly why I needed the break from counting and macro focus. When going for a small amount loss per week, it's hard to see progress with how bodies can fluctuate in weight. Though I don't know my body fat as don't go to the gym that did do the calipers and scales are considered quite inaccurate with that measurement, so I haven't even worried about that number. Gym progress is dropping but it's more to not following a program at the moment compared to the nutrition side. Though would be nice to not be trying to hit a deficit while lifting. Maybe one day I can bulk but after the move it's back to deficit. Do want to get in the 120's this summer. Pesky short height.